PDA

View Full Version : Anyway, I think we can all agree on one thing. And that is that...

Burney
07-15-2019, 08:36 AM
...Colin de Grandhomme is a very silly name.

Sir C
07-15-2019, 08:38 AM

Is he one of the 'English' players? I understand that the 'England' captain is actually Irish, that several of the 'England' players ran away from the champagne as if confronted by a demon, and that one chap was born in the Caribbean?

It's hardly village greens and warm beer and the Vicar's wife ona bicycle, is it?

Ash
07-15-2019, 08:44 AM
Something about quick feet for a big man.

Burney
07-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Is he one of the 'English' players? I understand that the 'England' captain is actually Irish, that several of the 'England' players ran away from the champagne as if confronted by a demon, and that one chap was born in the Caribbean?

It's hardly village greens and warm beer and the Vicar's wife ona bicycle, is it?

Morgan's mother is English and he has held British citizenship since he was a baby, while Archer's father was born in England.

Anyway, these are the benefits of empire. We get a slightly bigger pool in which to fish.

Burney
07-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Something about quick feet for a big man.

I mean Colin of Bigman. Ridicules. :hehe:

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that Lockie and Kane aren't real names either.

Sir C
07-15-2019, 08:47 AM
I mean Colin of Bigman. Ridicules. :hehe:

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that Lockie and Kane aren't real names either.

Hake of Bigman, surely?

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 08:51 AM
Morgan's mother is English and he has held British citizenship since he was a baby, while Archer's father was born in England.

Anyway, these are the benefits of empire. We get a slightly bigger pool in which to fish.

Would love someone to tell Ben Stokes he isn't English

Sir C
07-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Would love someone to tell Ben Stokes he isn't English

Apparently he's a Kiwi, la.

Burney
07-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Hake of Bigman, surely?

:hehe: I hadn't considered translating Colin. That's even better. Imagine the confusion with which his name is greeted in France.

Burney
07-15-2019, 08:54 AM

A 'Kiwi' with a Cumbrian accent.

Sir C
07-15-2019, 08:56 AM
A 'Kiwi' with a Cumbrian accent.

Yes. But born in New Zealand. A horse born in a stable is not a dog. Pardon?

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 08:57 AM

He's a ginger-haired lad with a short temper. At the very least he's Scottish

Pokster
07-15-2019, 08:58 AM

Careful, I fgot into all sorts of trouble with b for saying N Hussain was Indian,

Burney
07-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Rudyard Kipling was born in India. Was he Indian?

Sir C
07-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Careful, I fgot into all sorts of trouble with b for saying N Hussain was Indian,

I have no idea who N Hussain is, p. But his name certainly sounds a little Indian.

Sir C
07-15-2019, 09:00 AM

No, because at that time, India was a county of England, like north Ireland is now.

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 09:01 AM

I'll ask that famous Kenyan Derek Pringle or the big wop Ted Dexter

Tony C
07-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Thoughts on Jofra for the Ashes?

I was against it...massive step up and he has had injury issues but you know what...back in the day it was non stop for Ambrose and Walsh and today you have someone like Bumrah who has become even more skilful for Test cricket so why not....

Next step is to poach the next Nicolas Pooran. That’s the batting done and dusted.

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 09:10 AM

I was against it...massive step up and he has had injury issues but you know what...back in the day it was non stop for Ambrose and Walsh and today you have someone like Bumrah who has become even more skilful for Test cricket so why not....

Next step is to poach the next Nicolas Pooran. That’s the batting done and dusted.
Shoo in, T. The advantage of Stokes as well (who should be rested until the first Test), we can play a strike bowler who bowls short spells. Jimmy can bowl longer ones with new ball. Trouble is the spinner - ideally we want a containing one with the pace attack we have but Leach (my choice), Rashid and Ali are all more attacking (imo)

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:13 AM
I'll ask that famous Kenyan Derek Pringle or the big wop Ted Dexter

Actually, I'd be happy for Kenya to take responsibility for Derek Pringle.

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:14 AM

No debate about it, t. He's in. I'm looking forward to seeing him bowl with slips and close fielders.

Also, he has a pleasing habit of hitting colonials in the head. :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Actually, I'd be happy for Kenya to take responsibility for Derek Pringle.
I would too normally but then I read his story on the 1992 World Cup and remember he was quite useful for a few weeks. Had Miandad out twice in the final which would probably won it for us (even Miandad admitted both were plum LBWs). Excellent writer too - I would recommend his book

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 09:23 AM
No debate about it, t. He's in. I'm looking forward to seeing him bowl with slips and close fielders.

Carey catching his helmet (oo-er missus) after being hit was one of the best moments of the tournament

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Carey catching his helmet (oo-er missus) after being hit was one of the best moments of the tournament

It was weird that World Cup, though. Even Dermot Reeve wasn't totally pointless.

I think my favourite Pringle memory in that was when Meyrick Pringle played Derek Pringle. :hehe:

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Fair play to the chap, he can take a punch. I think if I'd been hit on the chin by a 90mph bouncer, I'd probably have made a bit more of a fuss than that.

Rich
07-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Is that the one that looks like a fat farmer?

Rich
07-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Not sure he can move it away from the right hander, though. Suppose this is less of an issue when you can bowl consistently at around 93mph from about 7.5 feet high. Batsmen will be scared of him having seen him hit a few decent players on the head (the Amla one was particularly eye opening, given the class of player he is).

Imagine Jofra bowling at the WACA :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Fair play to the chap, he can take a punch. I think if I'd been hit on the chin by a 90mph bouncer, I'd probably have made a bit more of a fuss than that.

Indeed - very decent bat as well. ****e keeper though

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Not sure he can move it away from the right hander, though. Suppose this is less of an issue when you can bowl consistently at around 93mph from about 7.5 feet high. Batsmen will be scared of him having seen him hit a few decent players on the head (the Amla one was particularly eye opening, given the class of player he is).

You'll have to r. They don't play tests there any more

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:43 AM

At that speed you don't have to be hooping it around. Even the slightest lateral movement becomes well-nigh unplayable.

Rich
07-15-2019, 09:44 AM
At that speed you don't have to be hooping it around. Even the slightest lateral movement becomes well-nigh unplayable.

I feel like he could be quicker with a proper run up. He sort of ambles up to the popping crease, doesn't he?

I think I'd like to see him pushing off the wall in front of the pavilion next time he's at Lord's.

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 09:48 AM
I feel like he could be quicker with a proper run up. He sort of ambles up to the popping crease, doesn't he?

I think I'd like to see him pushing off the wall in front of the pavilion next time he's at Lord's.

Yeah - coz ****ing with people's actions and run ups has always worked so well in the past. Part of his skill is bowling a bouncer that people really can't see coming - the short run up helps this

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:48 AM

That would be an excellent way of shortening his career. His pace isn't generated by momentum, it's generated by his rhythm and arm speed. He doesn't need to run 40m to be that fast.

Peter
07-15-2019, 09:50 AM
That would be an excellent way of shortening his career. His pace isn't generated by momentum, it's generated by his rhythm and arm speed. He doesn't need to run 40m to be that fast.

And he really doesn't need to bowl faster. He hits 96mph..... I think that is probably quick enough :)

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Yeah - coz ****ing with people's actions and run ups has always worked so well in the past. Part of his skill is bowling a bouncer that people really can't see coming - the short run up helps this

Exactly. Barely perceptible changes in his arm speed create huge differences in pace and bounce. Running a long way in would do nothing other than knacker him.

Rich
07-15-2019, 09:52 AM

Oh, I know that. But it looks cool, doesn't it? Should also be coupled with a follow through that results in his nose touching the batsman's grille.

Pokster
07-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Exactly. Barely perceptible changes in his arm speed create huge differences in pace and bounce. Running a long way in would do nothing other than knacker him.

You do realise that this is Rich suggesting this, so should be taken with a punch of salt as he knows nothing about sport

Burney
07-15-2019, 09:55 AM
And he really doesn't need to bowl faster. He hits 96mph..... I think that is probably quick enough :)

Quite. In this World Cup, he hit a number of good batsmen in the head. That's pretty unusual and suggests there's not much wrong with his action or speed.

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 10:02 AM

Same with Wood - who I think has shortened his run and bowls quicker. Easy to be seduced by the whole Holding thing but he was probably just a wonderfully smooth freak

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 10:04 AM
You do realise that this is Rich suggesting this, so should be taken with a punch of salt as he knows nothing about sport

:nono: Knows nothing about football - his knowledge of cricket is generally excellent. Talked up Buttler :bow: and Woakes before they were acknowledged as top quality

Rich
07-15-2019, 10:07 AM
:nono: Knows nothing about football - his knowledge of cricket is generally excellent. Talked up Buttler :bow: and Woakes before they were acknowledged as top quality

Thank you, LA. Now that Woakes is a World Champion; I ought to send him an invoice for my watch that he broke when we were 17.

Burney
07-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Same with Wood - who I think has shortened his run and bowls quicker. Easy to be seduced by the whole Holding thing but he was probably just a wonderfully smooth freak

Yes, the thing about Holding was that his bowling action seemed almost to be a part of his run-up rather than its culmination. I've never seen anyone else even remotely like that.

Mind you, his overs took about half an hour to bowl.

Peter
07-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Wood did try bowling off a very short, jerky run up but it didn't really work for him. He seems to have found a nice rhythm now.

Burney
07-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Thank you, LA. Now that Woakes is a World Champion; I ought to send him an invoice for my watch that he broke when we were 17.

Did he not receive a Hublot watch for being MOTM against Australia? He could give you that.

Rich
07-15-2019, 10:13 AM

Michael Holding must be one of the coolest men on Earth. I love listening to his dulcet tones when he's in the commentary box. Sadly never got to see him bowl, though.

My first memory of West Indian fast bowling was being taken to Lord's to watch Ambrose and Walsh do their thing. They signed my programme which must be gathering dust somewhere.

Rich
07-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Did he not receive a Hublot watch for being MOTM against Australia? He could give you that.

:nono: It's 'Player Of The Match'. Do you not understand what a sexist pig you are being by referring to a 'man' of the match. You have no idea how he identifies.

Burney
07-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Michael Holding must be one of the coolest men on Earth. I love listening to his dulcet tones when he's in the commentary box. Sadly never got to see him bowl, though.

My first memory of West Indian fast bowling was being taken to Lord's to watch Ambrose and Walsh do their thing. They signed my programme which must be gathering dust somewhere.

He was lightning quick, but most pros feared Marshall more because his whippy arm action could generate huge pace and bounce off not much off a good length. Marshall hit a terrifying number of batsmen quite badly as a consequence.

County pros used also to fear Sylvester Clarke of Surrey. He could amble in off a relatively short run and generate extreme hostility, pace and bounce. He couldn't be arsed doing it for long, but when he was up for it, he was frightening.

Burney
07-15-2019, 10:18 AM
:nono: It's 'Player Of The Match'. Do you not understand what a sexist pig you are being by referring to a 'man' of the match. You have no idea how he identifies.

Chris Woke?

Rich
07-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Wood did try bowling off a very short, jerky run up but it didn't really work for him. He seems to have found a nice rhythm now.

I don't think that Mark Wood is especially robust at the best of times. His bowling action puts so much strain on his body that I don't think he will play a huge amount of international cricket (that or he will have to be used very sparingly). He seems to try and hit the crease at full sprint.

Rich
07-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Chris Woke?

:hehe: Very good.

Burney
07-15-2019, 10:23 AM
I don't think that Mark Wood is especially robust at the best of times. His bowling action puts so much strain on his body that I don't think he will play a huge amount of international cricket (that or he will have to be used very sparingly). He seems to try and hit the crease at full sprint.

The force he puts through that front leg is a bit scary. You half expect it just to snap one of these days. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
07-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Sir C "I have no idea who N Hussain is, p."

She's an exotic ITN newsreader with a Huddersfield accent who goes heavy on the eyeliner

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Chris Woke?

Bowling b ..

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 11:30 AM

He can probably afford it

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 11:32 AM
He was lightning quick, but most pros feared Marshall more because his whippy arm action could generate huge pace and bounce off not much off a good length. Marshall hit a terrifying number of batsmen quite badly as a consequence.

County pros used also to fear Sylvester Clarke of Surrey. He could amble in off a relatively short run and generate extreme hostility, pace and bounce. He couldn't be arsed doing it for long, but when he was up for it, he was frightening.
Saw more of Wayne Daniel than Clarke but similarly he scared the **** out batsman (with Norman Cowan doing the same at the other end) - genuinely brilliant cricket

Burney
07-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Saw more of Wayne Daniel than Clarke but similarly he scared the **** out batsman (with Norman Cowan doing the same at the other end) - genuinely brilliant cricket

Middlesex had a ridiculous attack back in the day. Daniel, Cowans and Neil Williams.

Shame their batting involved the appalling to watch Clive Radley, though.

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 12:32 PM
Middlesex had a ridiculous attack back in the day. Daniel, Cowans and Neil Williams.

Shame their batting involved the appalling to watch Clive Radley, though.

Oh - out of order B. Won us two cup finals at least including the 1985 B&H which I was at. Second last sporting event I went to with my dad. The last one was England Australia rugb - that went less well

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
07-15-2019, 12:38 PM

I liked the old days when the MCC team would contain any non-Convict. The Nawab of Pataudi scoring a ton in the first bodyline test and then going home because he thought DJ's tactics were vulgar is class.

Given our lack of a top 3, are there any young Saffers we could nab as per?

Luis Anaconda
07-15-2019, 01:25 PM
I liked the old days when the MCC team would contain any non-Convict. The Nawab of Pataudi scoring a ton in the first bodyline test and then going home because he thought DJ's tactics were vulgar is class.

Given our lack of a top 3, are there any young Saffers we could nab as per?
Fake news - he did object to Jardine's (completely legitimate) tactics after the first Test but actually played in the second Test, perfomerd badly and was dropped, stayed with the squad all series

Burney
07-15-2019, 01:29 PM
Fake news - he did object to Jardine's (completely legitimate) tactics after the first Test but actually played in the second Test, perfomerd badly and was dropped, stayed with the squad all series

I've never had any time for people (ie Australians) who moan about Jardine's tactics. The fact that they actually got the laws changed because they threw a tantrum still sticks in my craw.