Sir C
06-26-2019, 09:19 AM
to be going to 'Glasto'? :-(

We're all awfully old, now.

Billy Goat Sverige
06-26-2019, 09:28 AM

To be honest I’m glad I’m now of an age where it doesn’t appeal. I had a peak at the lineup and it looks like they couldn’t be arsed.

Monty92
06-26-2019, 09:29 AM
To be honest I’m glad I’m now of an age where it doesn’t appeal. I had a peak at the lineup and it looks like they couldn’t be arsed.

Has your second sprog arrived yet?

PSRB
06-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Ordered my Kamodo Joe yesterday, very excited!

Billy Goat Sverige
06-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Has your second sprog arrived yet?

Nah. Ten weeks away if it comes on the due date. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it. The first one was a good sleeper so this one is bound to be the complete opposite :-(

Burney
06-26-2019, 09:35 AM

All my nieces and nephews are down there this weekend. But they're staying in the Eavis' house/garden, so it's relatively civilised.

Burney
06-26-2019, 09:35 AM

How was your decking cleaning?

Sir C
06-26-2019, 09:38 AM

Nice work. I've used mine almost every day since May.

I've smoked, roasted, grilled and rotisseried. :cloud9:

Monty92
06-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Nah. Ten weeks away if it comes on the due date. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it. The first one was a good sleeper so this one is bound to be the complete opposite :-(

You won't be able to summon any of the patience you mustered for the first and are going to hate every waking second of it :thumbup:

Monty92
06-26-2019, 09:43 AM

I'm rustling up some bloody lovely food most weekends on my Landmann (4-hour apple smoked baby back ribs on Saturday), but I am finding the heat management a bit of a pain in the hole.

So am I correct to say you claim you can do a proper long smoke with just ONE chimney of lumpwood on your Kamodo?

I'm finding I have to add another chimney's worth every hour or so - and I'm using the expensive stuff.

I was going to experiment with briquettes instead as they burn for longer.

PSRB
06-26-2019, 09:44 AM
How was your decking cleaning?

Great fun but think I need to use a wood cleaner as still a bit green in places. Cleaned everything in the garden though :-)

PSRB
06-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Any tips for a complete novice?

PSRB
06-26-2019, 09:46 AM
You won't be able to summon any of the patience you mustered for the first and are going to hate every waking second of it :thumbup:

I found it far easier going from 1 to 2 than I did 0-1. Love the bones off her, she's an absolute headcase

Sir C
06-26-2019, 09:50 AM
I'm rustling up some bloody lovely food most weekends on my Landmann (4-hour apple smoked baby back ribs on Saturday), but I am finding the heat management a bit of a pain in the hole.

So am I correct to say you claim you can do a proper long smoke with just ONE chimney of lumpwood on your Kamodo?

I'm finding I have to add another chimney's worth every hour or so - and I'm using the expensive stuff.

I was going to experiment with briquettes instead as they burn for longer.

I don't measure by the chimney but one load of big block lasts easily for 8 hours and often for 12. That's probably a little more than a chimney's worth, but no0t by much. The Kamado is efficient, see?

Monty92
06-26-2019, 09:51 AM
I found it far easier going from 1 to 2 than I did 0-1. Love the bones off her, she's an absolute headcase

Tat's because you roll in at 5 minutes to bedtime and get the perks of being the 'novelty' parent :rolleyes:

PSRB
06-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Tat's because you roll in at 5 minutes to bedtime and get the perks of being the 'novelty' parent :rolleyes:

1 hour and even the glw agrees

Monty92
06-26-2019, 09:56 AM
I don't measure by the chimney but one load of big block lasts easily for 8 hours and often for 12. That's probably a little more than a chimney's worth, but no0t by much. The Kamado is efficient, see?

Yeah, I've noticed you get a lot more mileage out of bigger blocks.

Got any good fish recipes? Not f*cking salmon.

Sir C
06-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Big block lumpwood charcoal, restaurant grade. This is a must. A good digital thermometer with two probes, one for the temperature in the dome (the built in one is useless) and one for the food. Experiment with temperature control, that's your most important skill.

Most shop-bought rubs and barbecue sauces are ridiculously sweet. Make your own.

Youtube is your friend, especially here https://www.youtube.com/user/KamadoJoeGrills

and here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC--MxpGXJ3LVD8KvlNzRlcA

https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQpitmasterx

This book is excellent https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010QDG9BY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Don't try to be a smartarse like the bignosed ****. You neeed patience and practice :thumbup:

Monty92
06-26-2019, 09:59 AM

Spend a few hours on the Amazingribs.com website. It really is a fantastic resource and every recipe I've followed from there has come out bang on.

Your first port of call should be to get 'two-zone cooking' licked. That's the fundamental technique that will result in great food.

Sir C
06-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I've noticed you get a lot more mileage out of bigger blocks.

Got any good fish recipes? Not f*cking salmon.

Actually I never do fish, I have a strange mental block about all my equipment ending up fishy. Ridiculous, really.

Monty92
06-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Actually I never do fish, I have a strange mental block about all my equipment ending up fishy. Ridiculous, really.

What confuses me about the Kamodo is how you get the slow n low effect in a dome shaped BBQ. In my Landmann the meat is about a metre away from the heat, but surely in a kamodo it must be significantly closer?

Sir C
06-26-2019, 10:11 AM
What confuses me about the Kamodo is how you get the slow n low effect in a dome shaped BBQ. In my Landmann the meat is about a metre away from the heat, but surely in a kamodo it must be significantly closer?

It's all to do with the Divide 'n Conquer flexible cooking system, the ceramic heat deflector plates and the tiny amount of burning required to heat the ceramic body of the beast. Plus the special shape.

If you have the a look at the Kamado Joe youtube channel, John Setzler will explain everything to you.

You're deeply insecure about your lack of a Kamado Joe, aren't you? You know that this is just another way in which you have failed to be a real man. I would like to reassure you on this point, but, you know... you just keep pussying around with your Landmann. :hehe:

PSRB
06-26-2019, 10:22 AM
Big block lumpwood charcoal, restaurant grade. This is a must. A good digital thermometer with two probes, one for the temperature in the dome (the built in one is useless) and one for the food. Experiment with temperature control, that's your most important skill.

Most shop-bought rubs and barbecue sauces are ridiculously sweet. Make your own.

Youtube is your friend, especially here https://www.youtube.com/user/KamadoJoeGrills

and here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC--MxpGXJ3LVD8KvlNzRlcA

https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQpitmasterx

This book is excellent https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010QDG9BY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Don't try to be a smartarse like the bignosed ****. You neeed patience and practice :thumbup:

:thumbup: Book and thermometer have been purchased

Sir C
06-26-2019, 10:24 AM
:thumbup: Book and thermometer have been purchased

When does your Joe arrive? Will you have it for the weekend?

Burney
06-26-2019, 10:24 AM
It's all to do with the Divide 'n Conquer flexible cooking system, the ceramic heat deflector plates and the tiny amount of burning required to heat the ceramic body of the beast. Plus the special shape.

If you have the a look at the Kamado Joe youtube channel, John Setzler will explain everything to you.

You're deeply insecure about your lack of a Kamado Joe, aren't you? You know that this is just another way in which you have failed to be a real man. I would like to reassure you on this point, but, you know... you just keep pussying around with your Landmann. :hehe:

Without wishing to be vulgar, which of these packages did you go for?

https://www.birstall.co.uk/ranges_pictures/kamado-joe-premium-ceramic-grills.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwr8zoBRA0EiwANmvpYPrrZ4OE IjN_YRgKWmbI0qQwDGXEWkmjA197P5TSz0CvP_fLF6Z-CxoCbkwQAvD_BwE

Burney
06-26-2019, 10:28 AM

Also, fnaaaar!

PSRB
06-26-2019, 10:31 AM
When does your Joe arrive? Will you have it for the weekend?

Not entirely sure, still waiting on a confirmation email.

Sir C
06-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Without wishing to be vulgar, which of these packages did you go for?

https://www.birstall.co.uk/ranges_pictures/kamado-joe-premium-ceramic-grills.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwr8zoBRA0EiwANmvpYPrrZ4OE IjN_YRgKWmbI0qQwDGXEWkmjA197P5TSz0CvP_fLF6Z-CxoCbkwQAvD_BwE

I got the Classic Joe with cart and a bunch of accessories in a package, including the rotisserie and cast iron grills and so on. The whole package was about £1,500, I think. That was 2 years ago and I think it's gone up a bit since then.

Sir C
06-26-2019, 10:32 AM
Not entirely sure, still waiting on a confirmation email.

It's a two man job to put it together. Man, but it's heavy.

PSRB
06-26-2019, 10:35 AM
It's a two man job to put it together. Man, but it's heavy.

Hope the decking will hold out!
Worth getting this? https://www.bbq-barn.co.uk/product/KJKAMANDUK-Kamado-Joe-Classic-iKamand.php

Burney
06-26-2019, 10:36 AM
I got the Classic Joe with cart and a bunch of accessories in a package, including the rotisserie and cast iron grills and so on. The whole package was about £1,500, I think. That was 2 years ago and I think it's gone up a bit since then.

Hmmm. I worry that I simply wouldn't get enough use from it to make it worth the outlay.

Sir C
06-26-2019, 10:38 AM
Hope the decking will hold out!
Worth getting this? https://www.bbq-barn.co.uk/product/KJKAMANDUK-Kamado-Joe-Classic-iKamand.php

That's the shop I got mine from. It's about 10 minutes from my house.

I've been looking at the iKamand but it's taking all the fun out of it, isn't it? The joy of spending all day monitoring the temperature, changing your vent settings fractionally... it's an art, noit a science.

PSRB
06-26-2019, 10:39 AM

I went with this package https://www.bbq-barn.co.uk/product/KJMBUNDLE-Kamado-Joe-Classic-Joe-II-Mega-Bundle-Deal.php

Monty92
06-26-2019, 10:40 AM
You do realise that having to actually do some work when I’m using my BBQ means I’m likely to be a far more proficient pit master than yaaaao?

You’re basically sitting in an autonomous car while playing with the steering wheel and saying “look mummy I’m dwiving”!

PSRB
06-26-2019, 10:41 AM
That's the shop I got mine from. It's about 10 minutes from my house.

I've been looking at the iKamand but it's taking all the fun out of it, isn't it? The joy of spending all day monitoring the temperature, changing your vent settings fractionally... it's an art, noit a science.

True but I'm lazy

Maravilloso Marvo
06-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Spend a few hours on the Amazingribs.com website.

Let's just remember who got you onto that website. No need to thank me.

Monty92
06-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Let's just remember who got you onto that website. No need to thank me.

Yes! I couldn't actually remember who it was (I think I often get you mixed up with WES for some reason), but thank you thank you thank you :thumbup:

IUFG
06-26-2019, 12:55 PM

I've just looked through the previous line ups and reckon I stopped going regularly in 1998.

I've been back a couple of times since and realised that if you are - not with a gang of mates and are not absolutely mashed and unless it is perfectly dry weather - it really isn't worth going.

Ah, still, the early 90s :cloud9:

It all started going to shít when they put the fences up, of course.

Sir C
06-26-2019, 01:03 PM
I've just looked through the previous line ups and reckon I stopped going regularly in 1998.

I've been back a couple of times since and realised that if you are - not with a gang of mates and are not absolutely mashed and unless it is perfectly dry weather - it really isn't worth going.

Ah, still, the early 90s :cloud9:

It all started going to shít when they put the fences up, of course.

Was it the first year of fences that the unwashed tried to climb over? I had a group of chums, ex-squaddies, who did security that year. They had the greatest weekend ever, beating up hippies, stealing their drugs and selling them on. :hehe:

IUFG
06-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Was it the first year of fences that the unwashed tried to climb over? I had a group of chums, ex-squaddies, who did security that year. They had the greatest weekend ever, beating up hippies, stealing their drugs and selling them on. :hehe:

1994 - Year of the stage burning down, the shootings, an E death, the Beastie Boys being there. And of course, THAT Orbital set.
:cloud9:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
06-26-2019, 03:19 PM

No. That was shortly after 2000 - my only visit. Those days,the traveller field had moved outside but Eavis had given us that space from a month before. Came up one night mid-week before kick off and handed out 2k free passes.

But for those of us who weren't there, we'd just walk down to the main gate and ask the "security" lad which way was the quickest to bunk in and he'd tell us.

By the traveller's field being outside, it meant we could keep the raves going all night - not bound by the Glasto license, see?

But a year or two later, Mean Fiddler took over and free entry ended, and I've refused to go ever since, even though I could have blagged in for a bit of work with Lost Vagueness or Minscule of Sound or whatever. Fück that, if it ain't free, count me out.