PDA

View Full Version : Overrated things: Beer festivals.

Burney
06-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Drinking warm beer out of plastic cups - usually while while standing up and surrounded by the sort of people (let's face it: men) who attend beer festivals. You end up drinking several beers you don't like rather than just sticking with one you do (as you would in a pub) and paying an entry fee for the privilege.

Balls to that.

Ash
06-04-2019, 08:39 AM
You'll be complaining about 'bald white men' next. When you've finished complaining about women being allowed in pubs, of course.

But yes, you are otherwise correct. A bit like 'tasting' menus in poncey restaurants but for a different demographic imo.

Pat Vegas
06-04-2019, 08:40 AM
prosecco, Not the drink it self but the Women who get overexcited by the thought of having a glass of it and do that girlie clapping excited thing.

WES
06-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Drinking warm beer out of plastic cups - usually while while standing up and surrounded by the sort of people (let's face it: men) who attend beer festivals. You end up drinking several beers you don't like rather than just sticking with one you do (as you would in a pub) and paying an entry fee for the privilege.

Balls to that.

Yes. Loads of beer you've never heard of. Which you then try and discover that you haven't heard of it because hardly anyone drinks it because it's sh1t.

Also - street food. When are people going to realise that good food is produced by people who know good ingredients and how to cook them properly. A hut or a van in the middle of an open area rarely provides either of these things.

Street food is - at best - above average.

Sir C
06-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Balls to that.

Curmudgeons intent on sucking the joy out of every single thing. Vastly overrated.

Pat Vegas
06-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Yes. Loads of beer you've never heard of. Which you then try and discover that you haven't heard of it because hardly anyone drinks it because it's sh1t.

Also - street food. When are people going to realise that good food is produced by people who know good ingredients and how to cook them properly. A hut or a van in the middle of an open area rarely provides either of these things.

oh and overpriced.

Burney
06-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Curmudgeons intent on sucking the joy out of every single thing. Vastly overrated.

:hehe: You would hate a beer festival. HATE IT. Far more than me.

Pat Vegas
06-04-2019, 08:47 AM
over the top hamburgers.
in trendy hipster restaurants.

Just because it's overly huge and has a variety of ingredients it doesn't need doesn't make it good.

Pokster
06-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Balls to that.

So how many have you been to?

Burney
06-04-2019, 08:49 AM

Street food is fine apart from the requirement to eat it in the street, which largely ruins the experience (and very probably one's shirt). I had a very tasty roti canai and curry from a Malaysian van thingy recently, but there was nowhere to sit, so I ended up having to work out how to eat this sloppy mess while standing around. I ended up binning half of it in frustration.

Sir C
06-04-2019, 08:50 AM
:hehe: You would hate a beer festival. HATE IT. Far more than me.

I had a lovely afternoon at a beer festival about 10 years ago, sitting outside the hall watching a village cricket match. A proper John Major afternoon.

I saw one advertised as featuring 200 beers, once. What's the point in that? You're going to die after the first 60.

Burney
06-04-2019, 08:51 AM
prosecco, Not the drink it self but the Women who get overexcited by the thought of having a glass of it and do that girlie clapping excited thing.

To be honest, most fizzy wine can do one, f.

Sir C
06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Street food is fine apart from the requirement to eat it in the street, which largely ruins the experience (and very probably one's shirt). I had a very tasty roti canai and curry from a Malaysian van thingy recently, but there was nowhere to sit, so I ended up having to work out how to eat this sloppy mess while standing around. I ended up binning half of it in frustration.

Best eaten in south-east Asia, squatting on those childs' plastic chairs and using a toilet roll as a napkin :hehe:

I was once enjoying a remarkably good curry on a soi off Sukhumvit Road when a rat ran over my foot. :hehe:

Burney
06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
I had a lovely afternoon at a beer festival about 10 years ago, sitting outside the hall watching a village cricket match. A proper John Major afternoon.

I saw one advertised as featuring 200 beers, once. What's the point in that? You're going to die after the first 60.

Yes, if you can find a place to sit and decent people to talk to, it's fine. But all too often, it means being surrounded by sweaty, ale-farting men in a village hall or similar. Shíte.

Burney
06-04-2019, 08:54 AM
So how many have you been to?

I suppose a dozen or so in my life. Maybe more. :shrug:

IUFG
06-04-2019, 08:55 AM

Balls to that.

Oh god, yes. dreadful events. dreadful people.

https://comeheretome.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/realale.jpg

Burney
06-04-2019, 08:59 AM

The thing is, I love real ale and actually think CAMRA did important work back in the day defeating the evil of keg bitter. But the fact remains that the movement attracts the sort of men who use terms like 'quaffable', 'floral notes' and 'chocolatey malt' when describing beer. Headgear, basically.

WES
06-04-2019, 09:01 AM

Yes, in addition to sh1t beer there is the presence of beardy weirdy sandal wearing muppets who drink only halves and comment on the 'nose' of the beer. Want shooting - all of them.

A pint of lager does tend to make them steer clear of you, however. Win win imo.

IUFG
06-04-2019, 09:05 AM
The thing is, I love real ale and actually think CAMRA did important work back in the day defeating the evil of keg bitter. But the fact remains that the movement attracts the sort of men who use terms like 'quaffable', 'floral notes' and 'chocolatey malt' when describing beer. Headgear, basically.

Around here there are plenty of Adnams and Greene King pubs that do some fairly nice ales.
and there are still twáts in the pubs moanning that these breweries beers are too 'mainstream'

then there are places like this, full of ****s www.oldcannonbrewery.co.uk/drink.html drinking awful beers...

Ash
06-04-2019, 09:06 AM
'Chocolatey malt' :thumbup:
'Floral notes' :-(

Sir C
06-04-2019, 09:07 AM
'Chocolatey malt' :thumbup:
'Floral notes' :-(

I love a chocolatey stout or porter. Yum.

I recently had a pint of something that had definite mango undertones. Wonderfully refreshing.

WES
06-04-2019, 09:09 AM

For the uninitiated, what is or was keg bitter?

IUFG
06-04-2019, 09:13 AM

in short - cask beers finish the brewing process in the barrel. A Keg beer has been already brewed and is ready to drink.

Burney
06-04-2019, 09:16 AM

You can still get keg bitters in places like cross-channel ferries and football matches. It's things like McEwan's or John Smiths. Filth, in other words.

AFC East
06-04-2019, 08:29 PM

Balls to that.

Plastic cups at a beer festival? You’re making it up. One of the main things about beer festivals is the ****y glass they make you buy. With you on the attendees.