PDA

View Full Version : Lynyrd Skynyrd are retiring :-(

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:31 PM
They're halfway through a mahoosive farewell tour.

I know it's never been the same with Johnny standing in for Ronnie, but still... farewell Skynyrd. Go be Simple Men. :-(

Burney
05-16-2019, 02:39 PM

I know it's never been the same with Johnny standing in for Ronnie, but still... farewell Skynyrd. Go be Simple Men. :-(

I was gonna say, Ronnie 'retired' a while a go, as I recall.

HOW DO YOU RUN OUT OF FUEL, FFS!?

How many bands have successfully weathered the loss of their lead singer? I can only think of AC/DC.

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:44 PM

How many bands have successfully weathered the loss of their lead singer? I can only think of AC/DC.

People have found all sorts of extraordinary ways to run out of fuel. There was a 757 in Canada which ran its tanks dry because the captain requested 20,000 and the fuellers gave him 20,000, but he wanted 20,000 litres and they gave him 20,000 kilos. :hehe:

There were all those slightly incetuous 60s bands that must have changed lead singers over time. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, erm, other ones like that. Clapton and Beck were forever swapping around. Also see Page's involvement in such rock monsters pre Zep.

IUFG
05-16-2019, 02:45 PM

Pffft. Me and the missus went to see ZZ Top* at Hammersmith Odeon / Appollo (or whatever it is called now) for their farewell tour.

They've done two more tours since...

* we left before the end

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Pffft. Me and the missus went to see ZZ Top* at Hammersmith Odeon / Appollo (or whatever it is called now) for their farewell tour.

They've done two more tours since...

* we left before the end

Now I'm all for the accepting of differing musical tastes, i, but you can't compare the legend that is Skynyrd with the novelty beard act that is ZZ Top. Honestly.

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Duran Duran, The Power Station, Van Halen.

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:49 PM

Also Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, the night Southside got the shíts and had to leave the stage after the first number. Bobby Bandiera took over and did a sterling job.

Burney
05-16-2019, 02:51 PM
People have found all sorts of extraordinary ways to run out of fuel. There was a 757 in Canada which ran its tanks dry because the captain requested 20,000 and the fuellers gave him 20,000, but he wanted 20,000 litres and they gave him 20,000 litres. :hehe:

There were all those slightly incetuous 60s bands that must have changed lead singers over time. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, erm, other ones like that. Clapton and Beck were forever swapping around. Also see Page's involvement in such rock monsters pre Zep.

Was that the Gimley Glider? I remember reading about that. Some French-Canadian chap was the pilot.

I don't really count all those supergroup types, since they weren't real bands in the first place. I suppose you'd have to say Fleetwood Mac survived the loss of Peter Green pretty well, though.

IUFG
05-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Now I'm all for the accepting of differing musical tastes, i, but you can't compare the legend that is Skynyrd with the novelty beard act that is ZZ Top. Honestly.

The fact that they weren't dead was fairly impressive.
More so than their music, tbh.

Skynrrd? ZZ Top? Southern USers all piss in the same spitoon, innit.

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Was that the Gimley Glider? I remember reading about that. Some French-Canadian chap was the pilot.

I don't really count all those supergroup types, since they weren't real bands in the first place. I suppose you'd have to say Fleetwood Mac survived the loss of Peter Green pretty well, though.

I've edited to make the second litres kilos, as it makes no sense as it was.

We're forgetting Pink Floyd and Genesis, of course.

Burney
05-16-2019, 02:53 PM

No, no and yes.

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:54 PM
The fact that they weren't dead was fairly impressive.
More so than their music, tbh.

Skynrrd? ZZ Top? Southern USers all piss in the same spitoon, innit.

Don't make me come down there whoop yo ass boy! The south will rise again, yeehar! And so on.

Burney
05-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Was Barrett the lead singer? I honestly can't remember. Good shout on Genesis.

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Was Barrett the lead singer? I honestly can't remember. Good shout on Genesis.

Yeah, he always sounded like a miserable ****, it's no wonder he went mental.

Burney
05-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Don't make me come down there whoop yo ass boy! The south will rise again, yeehar! And so on.

The Band are weird, aren't they? Had the whole down-home, good ole boy vibe, but were in fact mostly Canadian. Levon Helmet was the only actual southerner, I think.

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 03:01 PM
The Duranies lost Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy early doors and the Power Station lost Robert Palmer :shrug:

No, no and yes.

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Genesis, of course. Good one.

Fleetwood Mac?

Burney
05-16-2019, 03:04 PM
The Duranies lost Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy early doors and the Power Station lost Robert Palmer :shrug:

Yes, but you have to achieve proper success with the lead singer first, so that rules Duran Duran out.

And The Power Station fall foul of my supergroup rule.

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 03:13 PM
:rolleyes: Makinguprulesasyougoalong.

Admit it; you don't like the Power Station because they once appeared in Miami Vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_O2Lw0wuSA

Yes, but you have to achieve proper success with the lead singer first, so that rules Duran Duran out.

And The Power Station fall foul of my supergroup rule.

Burney
05-16-2019, 03:15 PM
:rolleyes: Makinguprulesasyougoalong.

Admit it; you don't like the Power Station because they once appeared in Miami Vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_O2Lw0wuSA

I'll let you in on a little secret, r: I couldn't stand Miami Vice. :-(

Sir C
05-16-2019, 03:15 PM
The Band are weird, aren't they? Had the whole down-home, good ole boy vibe, but were in fact mostly Canadian. Levon Helmet was the only actual southerner, I think.

Yes, 'The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down' would suggest they were all full blown Johnny Rebs. Odd.

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Yes, I suspected as much. You've more sagacity than most. Almost nobody amongst its fans understood, even understands, that the entire show was basically an enormous rejection of their lifestyle and ambitions. Michael Mann always hated disco.

I'll let you in on a little secret, r: I couldn't stand Miami Vice. :-(

Chief Arrowhead
05-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Journey......

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Good call.

By the way, enjoying The Donald Show? How do you see things going over the next few months? Will She be locked up?

Journey......

eastgermanautos
05-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Piss off carpetbagger. You have no claim upon Skynyrd. LIMEY.

eastgermanautos
05-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Good call.

By the way, enjoying The Donald Show? How do you see things going over the next few months? Will She be locked up?

I've noticed all you euros love Donald Trump. You like the bullsh!tter part of it, and the fact that he's in the pocket of Russia. I know this dude who is the nephew of Robert Mugabe, and he adores Donald Trump...

Sir C
05-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Piss off carpetbagger. You have no claim upon Skynyrd. LIMEY.

Tell me more about your connection to The Arsenal or, indeed, sarker, you thick septic ****.

redgunamo
05-17-2019, 11:19 AM
And again; loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

I've noticed all you euros love Donald Trump. You like the bullsh!tter part of it, and the fact that he's in the pocket of Russia. I know this dude who is the nephew of Robert Mugabe, and he adores Donald Trump...

eastgermanautos
05-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Tell me more about your connection to The Arsenal or, indeed, sarker, you thick septic ****.

I played sarker. Look at the squad, it's full of weird countries. Bosnia or whatever. Arsenal is/are international, Skynyrd is Alabammy my friend.

Burney
05-17-2019, 11:22 AM

To be honest, I fail to see how anyone with a sense of fun can't love Trump. He just makes things so much more enjoyable. :shrug:

eastgermanautos
05-17-2019, 11:23 AM

True story. It is. That dude is my pal :thumbup: :-)

By the way, just reached out to the UN. Trying to bring them into the things. Didn't I read a post by you once -- and yes, I discount most of what you say -- that you were part of that organization?

eastgermanautos
05-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Yes, 'The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down' would suggest they were all full blown Johnny Rebs. Odd.

Canada is redneck as fvck. Don't let the genteel accent fool you.

redgunamo
05-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Exactly. Anyone except people like ega and Euros and any other lefties; the press, for example. Most politicians and business leaders.

To be honest, I fail to see how anyone with a sense of fun can't love Trump. He just makes things so much more enjoyable. :shrug:

Burney
05-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Exactly. Anyone except people like ega and Euros and any other lefties; the press, for example. Most politicians and business leaders.

Those people are all benders, though. :shrug:

eastgermanautos
05-17-2019, 11:39 AM

It's the pot calling the kettle black. I've noticed also that you people get very snippy when one criticizes the sh!tshow that is Brexit. Something similar here. Nativist piss-taking is all very well until you wake up one day close to being fvcked. It could happen with England and it could happen to us.

With that being said, I liked England this last time. Yes, you set yourselves back with Brexit. But it's a known quantity, which is more than you can say for Eastern Europe, for example. Those boys krazy.

redgunamo
05-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Yes, they've almost got my crew killed on several occasions so I'd steer clear, if I were you.

The money was good though, and you probably won't get killed but your DOJ is presently rolling them all up on corruption charges so you may end up in prison. The banks are currently ratting out many of their criminal customers, especially those with links to DC (lobbyists and so forth, in order to save themselves and stay in business. Drain the swamp and a' that..

Seriously, e, you need to get with the program. The eurotrash roundly hate Trump, as you will see on CNN when he visits in the Summer. Personally though, I think he's terrific. :thumbup:

True story. It is. That dude is my pal :thumbup: :-)

By the way, just reached out to the UN. Trying to bring them into the things. Didn't I read a post by you once -- and yes, I discount most of what you say -- that you were part of that organization?

redgunamo
05-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Agreed. So, nothing to worry about really. If extinction doesn't deal with them, Islam will :-\

Those people are all benders, though. :shrug:

Burney
05-17-2019, 11:57 AM
It's the pot calling the kettle black. I've noticed also that you people get very snippy when one criticizes the sh!tshow that is Brexit. Something similar here. Nativist piss-taking is all very well until you wake up one day close to being fvcked. It could happen with England and it could happen to us.

With that being said, I liked England this last time. Yes, you set yourselves back with Brexit. But it's a known quantity, which is more than you can say for Eastern Europe, for example. Those boys krazy.

I think the thing we find infuriating about lefty Americans lecturing us about how wonderful the EU is (apart from the profound ignorance, of course) is that we are acutely conscious that no American in their right mind would tolerate for one moment the notion of having their laws made elsewhere by foreigners they don't elect; subjecting themselves to the jurisdiction of a foreign court or allowing their economic and strategic competitors to set their rules and restrict their competitiveness. And yet you seem to have no problem airily dictating that we ought to accept such enormities - presumably because you consider us to be a lesser species and thus wrong to value the independence, sovereignty and autonomy you take for granted.

It smacks more than a little of condescension, y'see?

WES
05-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Canada is redneck as fvck. Don't let the genteel accent fool you.

Nah, it really, really, really isn't.

Most politically correct country in the world, much to its discredit imo.

eastgermanautos
05-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Yes, they've almost got my crew killed on several occasions so I'd steer clear, if I were you.

The money was good though, and you probably won't get killed but your DOJ is presently rolling them all up on corruption charges so you may end up in prison. The banks are currently ratting out many of their criminal customers, especially those with links to DC (lobbyists and so forth, in order to save themselves and stay in business. Drain the swamp and a' that..

Seriously, e, you need to get with the program. The eurotrash roundly hate Trump, as you will see on CNN when he visits in the Summer. Personally though, I think he's terrific. :thumbup:

Who was your crew, if I may ask? Brought together for what purpose? You're full of mysteries red!