PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook really is going to go bump

PSRB
05-16-2019, 10:51 AM
no wonder they're not sticking on extra flights to Baku!!

https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-slumps-to-163146bn-half-year-loss-as-brexit-hits-holiday-demand-11721113?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Luis Anaconda
05-16-2019, 10:55 AM

https://news.sky.com/story/thomas-cook-slumps-to-163146bn-half-year-loss-as-brexit-hits-holiday-demand-11721113?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Good - the most unpleasant companies I have ever worked with. Rude, arrogant bullies

Maravilloso Marvo
05-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Good - the most unpleasant companies I have ever worked with. Rude, arrogant bullies

Did your holiday rep reject your advances?

Luis Anaconda
05-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Did your holiday rep reject your advances?

Nothing like that - they made me go to Peterborough for one thing

Pat Vegas
05-16-2019, 11:19 AM

:nod: I worked for a smaller company before and Thomas cook tried to just force us out.
bunch of cunds

barrybueno
05-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Nothing like that - they made me go to Peterborough for one thing

Those square deal holidays can really backfire sometimes :-(

7sisters
05-16-2019, 01:03 PM

I’m not sure why people would put off travelling to Europe for their hols due to Brexit ? Is it because they think they won’t be let in, or because they’re worried about job losses.

Rich
05-16-2019, 01:09 PM

I struggle to comprehend why anyone would book a package holiday; be it with Thomas Cook or any of the other odious companies out there.

Get on to a Thomas Cook aircraft, then onto a Thomas Cook bus to your Thomas Cook hotel where Thomas Cook food can be consumed from a Thomas Cook buffet. Don't leave the resort for a week before getting back on the Thomas Cook bus to go home :-(

Ash
05-16-2019, 01:11 PM
I struggle to comprehend why anyone would book a package holiday; be it with Thomas Cook or any of the other odious companies out there.

Get on to a Thomas Cook aircraft, then onto a Thomas Cook bus to your Thomas Cook hotel where Thomas Cook food can be consumed from a Thomas Cook buffet. Don't leave the resort for a week before getting back on the Thomas Cook bus to go home :-(

At least their customers can be safe in the knowledge that they won't have to meet you while on holiday. :thumbup:

Rich
05-16-2019, 01:13 PM
At least their customers can be safe in the knowledge that they won't have to meet you while on holiday. :thumbup:

I don’t think I’d especially enjoy mixing with their ilk, tbh.

Different walks of life, I suspect.

Pokster
05-16-2019, 01:27 PM

Yep, because all package holidays are just like that! :rolleyes:

Ash
05-16-2019, 01:33 PM

The best ones are in Dubai, I've heard. :-)

PSRB
05-16-2019, 01:36 PM
I’m not sure why people would put off travelling to Europe for their hols due to Brexit ? Is it because they think they won’t be let in, or because they’re worried about job losses.

It's utter *******s, just a lame excuse

PSRB
05-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Quite, can't wait for my all inclusive week in Cyprus, swim up room, loads of stuff for the kids to do

Pokster
05-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Quite, can't wait for my all inclusive week in Cyprus, swim up room, loads of stuff for the kids to do

And the extra protection you get from having booked it as a package......

Same here, 10 days in turkey, all inclusive, top ranked Hotel, what's not to love

WES
05-16-2019, 01:57 PM

Certainly has been my experience. :-)

Although I'm not too sure what makes a holiday a package holiday. If I phone a travel agent up and tell them I want a specific resort for 7 days in mid October and I want to fly with a certain airline and they come back with a price for transfers, hotel and flights, have I just purchased a package holiday?

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:02 PM

I feel almost guilty about how hard I stiffed Thomas Cook. :hehe: No I don't.

Pokster
05-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Certainly has been my experience. :-)

Although I'm not too sure what makes a holiday a package holiday. If I phone a travel agent up and tell them I want a specific resort for 7 days in mid October and I want to fly with a certain airline and they come back with a price for transfers, hotel and flights, have I just purchased a package holiday?

No........ you have done what you would do at home and booked all the individual parts of a holiday. Package holiday is when the company "buys" seats and hotel rooms and sells them on as a package.

Luis Anaconda
05-16-2019, 02:05 PM
I feel almost guilty about how hard I stiffed Thomas Cook. :hehe: No I don't.

:bow: :bow:

PSRB
05-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Same here, 10 days in turkey, all inclusive, top ranked Hotel, what's not to love

Clearly there are some less desirable packages and destinations and most unfortunately the flights are not separated by hotel rating. I suspect there will be some Ayia Napa types on my flight

Sir C
05-16-2019, 02:08 PM
:bow: :bow:

Must have been all of 50k :cloud9: And in the 90s 50k got you a fair few pots of KFC gravy, la. :eat:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
05-16-2019, 02:17 PM

What added protection? It's always packages that go tits up

PSRB
05-16-2019, 02:19 PM

All ABTA/ATOL covered, not always the case if you buy separately

Pokster
05-16-2019, 02:23 PM

As per psrb , far more finaniclly safe than booking flights and hotels seperately

Ash
05-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Rich thinks you're all plebs. :hehe:

Burney
05-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Rich didn't even go to public school, so Rich can take his snobbery and shove it up his state-educated arse imo.

Pokster
05-16-2019, 02:30 PM

We all think Rich is a **** :shrug:

Rich
05-16-2019, 02:36 PM
No........ you have done what you would do at home and booked all the individual parts of a holiday. Package holiday is when the company "buys" seats and hotel rooms and sells them on as a package.

Sounds like a northern thing, then.

All inclusive :-(

Rich
05-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Rich didn't even go to public school, so Rich can take his snobbery and shove it up his state-educated arse imo.

I went to a Grammar School, B. Had I not been intelligent enough to get in I had a place at Bryanston.

Burney
05-16-2019, 02:45 PM
I went to a Grammar School, B. Had I not been intelligent enough to get in I had a place at Bryanston.

Oh. Parents a bit mean, eh? Poor show. :-(

Anyway, you probably dodged a bullet. I had to look Bryanston up. It was founded in 1928 for God's sake! Not a proper school at all.

IUFG
05-16-2019, 02:48 PM

:thumbup: the Russian roulette of what type of taxi driver you get from DXB to your destination :cloud9:

The last won I got had only arrived in Dubai two days previously, stank to high heaven and didn't know how to turn the AC on. :-(

Ash
05-16-2019, 03:35 PM
I should just point out that I have not been to Dubai or on a Package Holiday since I was a child. NTTAWWT.

IUFG
05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
I should just point out that I have not been to Dubai or on a Package Holiday since I was a child. NTTAWWT.

You ain't missing much, a

Viva Prat Vegas
05-16-2019, 03:53 PM
The only time my family ever saw the Thomas Cook rep was on the coach from airport to hotel at the start of the holiday and then again on the return journey a fortnight later
None of that group ****e for us thanks very much

Pokster
05-17-2019, 06:43 AM
Sounds like a northern thing, then.

All inclusive :-(

We all think Rich is a ****

IUFG
05-17-2019, 09:04 AM
We all think Rich is a ****

implicit and therefore superfluous. imo