PDA

View Full Version : Reg, I need to buy two dogs.

Sir C
05-15-2019, 10:03 AM
I would like two border collies, although the glw favours a border collie and a German shepherd.

Would you recommend getting two boys, a boy and a girl, or two girls?

I do not wish them to fúck each other.

PSRB
05-15-2019, 10:07 AM
I would like two border collies, although the glw favours a border collie and a German shepherd.

I grew up with Border Collies, lovely dogs, bit needy as very bright

Burney
05-15-2019, 10:07 AM

You could get a tiny boy one, a massive girl one and a stepladder. :hehe:

Sir C
05-15-2019, 10:09 AM
I grew up with Border Collies, lovely dogs, bit needy as very bright

:nod: Yes, I had one back in the day. She understood about 30 words. That's more than monty.

Burney
05-15-2019, 10:11 AM
:nod: Yes, I had one back in the day. She understood about 30 words. That's more than monty.

I take it these are for when you move to the north, are they?

Sir C
05-15-2019, 10:12 AM
I take it these are for when you move to the north, are they?

Yes, for protection. I spent the last couple of weeks just around the corner from Boot, where thon bloke went mental and shot everyone a few years ago. Driven mad by the boredom of living in Whitehaven, apparently. Good job the **** never vsiited Ravenglass, that would have sent him instantly over the edge.

Burney
05-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Yes, for protection. I spent the last couple of weeks just around the corner from Boot, where thon bloke went mental and shot everyone a few years ago. Driven mad by the boredom of living in Whitehaven, apparently. Good job the **** never vsiited Ravenglass, that would have sent him instantly over the edge.

Yes. Amusingly, he was called Bird. I was slightly disappointed when it turned out not to be R's dad.

Sir C
05-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Yes. Amusingly, he was called Bird. I was slightly disappointed when it turned out not to be R's dad.

Yes, v remembered that.

I, of course, had zero recollection of the incident. :-(

redgunamo
05-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you'd be better off getting some decent weapons and training.

Having said that, the mere presence of any kind of dog is normally enough. As before with cats, find ones you like the look of and then find breeders and develop a good relationship with them. They are always happy to advise as they really don't want you to get it wrong (specimens with their name ending up discarded or in trouble somehow).

When you visit them, as they ought to insist you do, look out for the older, "retired" animals at the kennel; they must be long-lived, healthy and well-kept.

Sir C
05-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Sounds like you'd be better off getting some decent weapons and training.

Having said that, the mere presence of any kind of dog is normally enough. As before with cats, find ones you like the look of and then find breeders and develop a good relationship with them. They are always happy to advise as they really don't want you to get it wrong (specimens with their name ending up discarded or in trouble somehow).

When you visit them, as they ought to insist you do, look out for the older, "retired" animals at the kennel; they must be long-lived, healthy and well-kept.

Thank you, I will take your advice to heart and follow it to the letter. But about the gender issue?

redgunamo
05-15-2019, 10:46 AM
A bitch can have puppies, the other can't. That's it. You won't be able to stop them trying, in any case.

Thank you, I will take your advice to heart and follow it to the letter. But about the gender issue?

Sir C
05-15-2019, 10:48 AM
A bitch can have puppies, the other can't. That's it. You won't be able to stop them trying, in any case.

Many thanks.

PSRB
05-15-2019, 11:30 AM

:hehe: could of course get the vet to "fix" the situation

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 07:39 AM
It doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. It's a behavioural/social issue.

For instance, in my group, sex seems to be something of a free-for-all, however actual breeding is strictly controlled.

:hehe: could of course get the vet to "fix" the situation

redgunamo
05-16-2019, 07:41 AM
And that will be true regardless of gender..

Many thanks.