PDA

View Full Version : Good pub lunches in London please. In the vicinity of Camden - Chalk Farm

eastgermanautos
05-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Although I don't really give a fvck, I can jump on public transpo

Ash
05-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Princess of Wales on Chalcott Road Primrose Hill is a well-situated boozer, and location is everything when eating, I gather.

https://www.lovetheprincess.com/

Ash
05-13-2019, 01:38 PM
Or walk up the hill from Chalk Farm for the charms of Belsize Park, where there are loads of eateries, and further up for Hampstead.

Sir C
05-13-2019, 01:41 PM

You don't want a pub lunch when you're 10 minutes away from Odette's, man!

Monty92
05-13-2019, 01:42 PM

There's **** all by way of decent gastropubs in that vicinity. Head a bit further north:

https://www.thebullandlast.co.uk/

https://www.stjohnstavern.com/

Monty92
05-13-2019, 01:43 PM

I never did get to Odette's :-(

Maybe when I retire back in leafy Hampstead :nod:

Burney
05-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Have you ever eaten at Chez Bruce in Wandsworth Common? I went there just before Christmas and it was awfully good. There was a truffle fettucine dish that was as good as anything I've ever eaten.

Pokster
05-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Have you ever eaten at Chez Bruce in Wandsworth Common? I went there just before Christmas and it was awfully good. There was a truffle fettucine dish that was as good as anything I've ever eaten.

Think i last went there about 18 yrs ago :old:

Burney
05-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Think i last went there about 18 yrs ago :old:

Yes, my last visit had been the night before my sister's wedding, which would have been - ulp - 20-something years previously. :-(

Sir C
05-13-2019, 01:52 PM

God yes, back in the day, when I think it was considered awfully trendy. I think it's risen again recently, hasn't it?

Here are some once-trendy restaurants which have singularly and inexplicably failed to mount a comeback:

1. Quaglino's
2. San Lorenzo
3. Can't think of a third.

eastgermanautos
05-13-2019, 01:58 PM
God yes, back in the day, when I think it was considered awfully trendy. I think it's risen again recently, hasn't it?

Here are some once-trendy restaurants which have singularly and inexplicably failed to mount a comeback:

1. Quaglino's
2. San Lorenzo

These are VALUABLE TIPS, gentlemen! Thanks. Awesome. I will be providing reviews in the coming days.

Burney
05-13-2019, 01:58 PM

1. Quaglino's
2. San Lorenzo

I believe so. It seems to have shed its trendiness in favour of an almost studied lack of pretentiousness. Worth a go, anyway. And it's near enough that you can Uber it there and back from where you are.

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:00 PM
I believe so. It seems to have shed its trendiness in favour of an almost studied lack of pretentiousness. Worth a go, anyway. And it's near enough that you can Uber it there and back from where you are.

It's a kind thought, but... Wandsworth? For dinner? I occasionally make it as far as Petts Wood or Orpington, but Wandsworth?

No no. I'm prepared to go out for dinner if I can be home by 8:30 for tea and a Game of Thrones, otherwise I'm stopping in.

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:02 PM
It's a kind thought, but... Wandsworth? For dinner? I occasionally make it as far as Petts Wood or Orpington, but Wandsworth?

No no. I'm prepared to go out for dinner if I can be home by 8:30 for tea and a Game of Thrones, otherwise I'm stopping in.

You could do lunch?

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:02 PM
I never did get to Odette's :-(

Maybe when I retire back in leafy Hampstead :nod:

It felt like a bit of history, somehow. Plus of course one was always reminded of Odette Sansom.

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:04 PM
You could do lunch?

For lunch I like to visit the seaside. I eat oysters and drink black velvet and then move on to to lobsters and red wine, or occasionally turbot if I am so minded.

There is no seaside at Wandsworth, b.

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:06 PM
It felt like a bit of history, somehow. Plus of course one was always reminded of Odette Sansom.

:nod: Kenny's missus.

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:09 PM
For lunch I like to visit the seaside. I eat oysters and drink black velvet and then move on to to lobsters and red wine, or occasionally turbot if I am so minded.

No, but there's a nice common and the river Wandle.

Pokster
05-13-2019, 02:13 PM

Seaside = fish and chips out of the paper, anything else and you are gayer than Monty's boyfriend

IUFG
05-13-2019, 02:16 PM

You'll want to go to Fatburger, won't you?

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:16 PM
Seaside = fish and chips out of the paper, anything else and you are gayer than Monty's boyfriend

I had fish and chips last week in Ulverston and I ordered it with gravy :cloud9:

IUFG
05-13-2019, 02:17 PM
I had fish and chips last week in Ulverston and I ordered it with gravy :cloud9:

Fúcking. Deviant.

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:17 PM

Oysters, Coquille St Jacques and a Pouilly-Fuissé at English's in Brighton. :cloud9: One of those odd meals that sticks in the memory, that.

Is English's even still there? Or has it gorn?

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:19 PM

My wife (who is an actual northerner and loves chips and gravy) would be horrified. I once made her fish and chips and asked if she wanted gravy and she looked at me as though I was mad. "You don't have gravy with fish!" she said.

Odd lot, the northerns. :shrug:

Sir C
Fúcking. Deviant.

It was fúcking great. I suspect it was Bisto with a load of pepper added.

Pokster

We will make you a Northerner yet

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:20 PM
Oysters, Coquille St Jacques and a Pouilly-Fuissé at English's in Brighton. :cloud9: One of those odd meals that sticks in the memory, that.

Is English's even still there? Or has it gorn?

Lord no, English's is very much alive and well, I lunched there last year.

A couple of weeks ago I walked out of Victoria station and wept in front of what used to be Overton's. :cry: Why must everything good be taken away?

IUFG
05-13-2019, 02:21 PM
My wife (who is an actual northerner) would be horrified. I once made her fish and chips and asked if she wanted gravy and she looked at me as though I was mad. "You don't have gravy with fish!" she said.

Tbf to your missus, she's fúcking correct.

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:22 PM
My wife (who is an actual northerner) would be horrified. I once made her fish and chips and asked if she wanted gravy and she looked at me as though I was mad. "You don't have gravy with fish!" she said.

Well there must have been 30 or 40 of the fúckers in this establishment and every man jack of 'em ordered 'addock, chips, mooshy peas and gravy. :shrug: Perhaps they weren't actual northerners? They sounded northern and they smelt northern.

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:22 PM
We will make you a Northerner yet

I'm 50% there. I drink stout now, you know.

Viva Prat Vegas
05-13-2019, 02:26 PM
And you're in a time-warp

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Lord no, English's is very much alive and well, I lunched there last year.

A couple of weeks ago I walked out of Victoria station and wept in front of what used to be Overton's. :cry: Why must everything good be taken away?

Yes. I remember the sadness when it went the way of all flesh.

I remember English's being slightly shabby/genteel, which had its own charm. I imagine it's smartened itself up and serves foreign muck these days?

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:28 PM
Yes. I remember the sadness when it went the way of all flesh.

I remember English's being slightly shabby/genteel, which had its own charm. I imagine it's smartened itself up and serves foreign muck these days?

No, nothing has changed. In fact, it struck me that English's is probably the closest connection I have to my childhood, for absolutely everything about it is identical to the place I used to be taken by my parents when I was a nipper. Everything else from that time has changed or gone completely.

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:30 PM
Well there must have been 30 or 40 of the fúckers in this establishment and every man jack of 'em ordered 'addock, chips, mooshy peas and gravy. :shrug: Perhaps they weren't actual northerners? They sounded northern and they smelt northern.

Oh, she loves chips and gravy, but rejects the notion of it with fish.

I love mushy peas. It's best with a saveloy and a battered sausage, though. You slather absolutely fúcking everything with ketchup, salt and vinegar, tip the mushy peas over it and then dig into the delicious mess. Food of the gods.

Funny thing, one battered sausage and one saveloy is perfect, while two of either would be too much.

AFC East
05-13-2019, 02:30 PM
There's **** all by way of decent gastropubs in that vicinity. Head a bit further north:

https://www.thebullandlast.co.uk/

As your learned friend said, Odettes is the only place in the area worth dining at. Everything further North is full of ****ing Americans.

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:32 PM
No, nothing has changed. In fact, it struck me that English's is probably the closest connection I have to my childhood, for absolutely everything about it is identical to the place I used to be taken by my parents when I was a nipper. Everything else from that time has changed or gone completely.

Really? How wonderful. If I ever visit Brighton again (although I can't really see why I would) I shall go there.

Sir C
05-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Oh, she loves chips and gravy, but rejects the notion of it with fish.

I love mushy peas. It's best with a saveloy and a battered sausage, though. You slather absolutely fúcking everything with ketchup, salt and vinegar, tip the mushy peas over it and then dig into the delicious mess. Food of the gods.

Funny thing, one battered sausage and one saveloy is perfect, while two of either would be too much.

I would point out that the gravy was only used to anoint the chips; it went nowhere near the fish, naturally.

Imagine putting gravy on a turbot. I feel ill now. :-(

Burney
05-13-2019, 02:34 PM
I would point out that the gravy was only used to anoint the chips; it went nowhere near the fish, naturally.

Imagine putting gravy on a turbot. I feel ill now. :-(

I have seen people serving fish with chicken sauce. This strikes me as abominable.

Viva Prat Vegas
05-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Monty92 "There's **** all by way of decent gastropubs in that vicinity. Head a bit further north:
https://www.thebullandlast.co.uk/"

Ignore that suggestion EGA
Unless you can delay your flight back until the Autumn

eastgermanautos
05-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Just saw that when I clicked on the link. Too late, I'm here already

Ash
05-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Ah, one of my locals :thumbup:. Shame they ditched the Nyetimber though. :-(

Only a half-hour's walk from Camden, Eastie or the 134 bus. Or two stops on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line.

Ash
05-13-2019, 03:15 PM
Just saw that when I clicked on the link. Too late, I'm here already

Overpriced imo. There are some restaurants from just up the road by the roundabout.