PDA

View Full Version : BBQwimb

Monty92
05-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Slow cooked my first large joint on the weekend, a shoulder of pork (5 pounder).

Put a full chimney of lit charcoal (good quality lumpwood) in the offset smoker and waited for the main grill to come up to temperature (225F).

Barely got past 100F :-(

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it getting done an hour or two early, due to it being closer to the heat.

It was perfectly nice, but definitely suffered for the faster cooking time.

What did I do wrong?

IUFG
05-13-2019, 09:18 AM
What did I do wrong?

You failed to put in an oven. in a kitchen.

like any sensible person would.

Burney
05-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Slow cooked my first large joint on the weekend, a shoulder of pork (5 pounder).

Put a full chimney of lit charcoal (good quality lumpwood) in the offset smoker and waited for the main grill to come up to temperature (225F).

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it cooking too fast.

What did I do wrong?

Broke your people's dietary laws as dictated by Yahweh?

You can hardly expect good results when you defy the Living God in such a way, m. :shrug:

WES
05-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it cooking too fast.

What did I do wrong?

Think that a BBQ is ever a sophisticated way to cook meat that will produce something quite exceptional.

It's just not that good. :shrug:

As a way of spending some time outside in the sun with cold beer or a nice glass of wine while enjoying the social aspect, it's great. As a way to produce really good meat it's just meh.

Pokster
05-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it getting done an hour or two early, due to it being closer to the heat.

What did I do wrong?

forgot to put it in the oven.....

PORK??????

Monty92
05-13-2019, 09:22 AM
Think that a BBQ is ever a sophisticated way to cook meat that will produce something quite exceptional.

It's just not that good. :shrug:

As a way of spending some time outside in the sun with cold beer or a nice glass of wine while enjoying the social aspect, it's great. As a way to produce really good meat it's just meh.

That's simply balls. I smoked a rib-eye on it last week that was a match for anything I've been served up in a high-end steakhouse.

Only question is whether it's worth the faff.

Burney
05-13-2019, 09:28 AM
That's simply balls. I smoked a rib-eye on it last week that was a match for anything I've been served up in a high-end steakhouse.

I found an Italian deli this weekend that makes its own excellent sausages and has a superb butcher's counter - including veal. :cloud9:

I can foresee this discovery costing me a horrific amount of money.

Monty92
05-13-2019, 09:31 AM
I found an Italian deli this weekend that makes its own excellent sausages and has a superb butcher's counter - including veal. :cloud9:

I can foresee this discovery costing me a horrific amount of money.

Do you cook with fire outdoors, Burney?

WES
05-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Good steak cooked properly does not need smoking, Monty. Especially a rib-eye which has all the required fat.

And while I like to do massive rib-eyes on the BBQ as well, had I seasoned it properly, pan fried it on a high heat and then cooked it low and slow in an oven it would have been just as tasty.

BBQing is a nice thing to do outside on a summer day, it isn't haute cuisine.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
05-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Come on m. You are a famously useless ****er. BBQ'ing is a manly pursuit and you are basically an effete ladyboy.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
05-13-2019, 09:36 AM

I struggle to imagine b venturing outside if he can possibly help it. Bar the occasional visit to that notorious shed.

Burney
05-13-2019, 09:36 AM

Only in the very simple 'chuck meat on a grill over glowing coals' way. I wouldn't cook anything serious outside.

7sisters
05-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Where in Ware b, Where? Is this local ?

Burney
05-13-2019, 10:13 AM
Where in Ware b, Where? Is this local ?

It's on the way into Hoddesdon on the parade of shops just before the BP garage.

https://pierosdeli.co.uk/

Sir C
05-13-2019, 10:16 AM

What did I do wrong?

You simply have to learn to operate your tool correctly :shrug:

If it's not getting hot enough you probably need more air, I'd have thought, so open your vents further - but I don't have experience of offset smokers so I can't be specific.

Have a look at 20 or 30 of these sorts of videos. You'll pick up tips from all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjUKv4drNwE

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
05-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Why on earth would a "high end" steak house be able to cook steak better than you can at home?

Of course they can't. They can never get the cooking or the sauce just as close to how I like as I can myself. And that's before you get to having my fave cuts or even the race. How often do you get offered charolais fillet tournedos over here? You can buy them in packets in the supermarkets in France.

And they don't use 2 tbps of creme fraiche to a whole roquefort like I do, which means I have tons to dip up with a baguette during cooking and after munching.

B's right on this - it's the social thing. It means you and your mates can eat outside without whichever of you is cooking that day spending most of time alone in the kitchen.

7sisters
05-13-2019, 11:51 AM
It's on the way into Hoddesdon on the parade of shops just before the BP garage.

https://pierosdeli.co.uk/

I shall have to pay a visit. Always on the look out for luganega sausages for an old Italian recipe. :thumbup: