PDA

View Full Version : So there we have it, the league is now finished and we can conduct a quantitative

WES
05-13-2019, 07:42 AM
analysis of how we stand relative to last year.

League standing
2018 - 6th
2019 - 5th

Total Points
2018 - 63
2019 - 70

Points behind Champions
2018 - 37
2019 - 28

Points behind 4th place
2018 - 12
2019 - 1

Goals for
2018 - 74
2019 - 73

Goals against
2018 - 51
2019 - 51

So a marginal improvement with the annual decline we were seeing under Wenger clearly arrested. Put in the context that it was Emery's first season where he had to - mostly - use Wenger's players, and he was implementing a new system and this strikes me as a very credibly first season return. Consider further that we we re doing much better than this when we were hit with long term defensive injuries which exposed the lack of depth in the squad and it looks even better, I think.

And now we have a European final with a chance to win our first European trophy in 25 years and a return to the Champions League. A couple of defenders and an attacking player and we should be in a good position to press on further next year.

All terribly exciting to see how Unai does, one way or the other. :thumbup:

Pokster
05-13-2019, 08:03 AM

League standing
2018 - 6th
2019 - 5th

Total Points
2018 - 63
2019 - 70

Points behind Champions
2018 - 37
2019 - 28

Points behind 4th place
2018 - 12
2019 - 1

Goals for
2018 - 74
2019 - 73

Goals against
2018 - 51
2019 - 51

So a marginal improvement with the annual decline we were seeing under Wenger clearly arrested. Put in the context that it was Emery's first season where he had to - mostly - use Wenger's players, and he was implementing a new system and this strikes me as a very credibly first season return. Consider further that we we re doing much better than this when we were hit with long term defensive injuries which exposed the lack of depth in the squad and it looks even better, I think.

And now we have a European final with a chance to win our first European trophy in 25 years and a return to the Champions League. A couple of defenders and an attacking player and we should be in a good position to press on further next year.

It is only the last few weeks that has taken the gloss off this season, win the EL and it must be classed as a success imo

John Bunnell
05-13-2019, 10:02 AM
Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross.

Pokster
05-13-2019, 10:06 AM
Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross.

What "first" round exits? Only if you discount the games we won

John Bunnell
05-13-2019, 10:15 AM
What "first" round exits? Only if you discount the games we won
My bad. 2nd round. Still terrible for a club like Arsenal.

Ash
05-13-2019, 10:22 AM
My bad. 2nd round. Still terrible for a club like Arsenal.

League Cup can do one and we have loads of FA Cups. We couldn't have coped with the fixtures and EL more important.

Viva Prat Vegas
05-13-2019, 10:22 AM
John Bunnell "Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross."

Somewhere alongside that run of 11 wins on the spin in that 20+ match unbeaten sequence

WES
05-13-2019, 12:03 PM
John Bunnell "Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross."

Somewhere alongside that run of 11 wins on the spin in that 20+ match unbeaten sequence

Sadly for us, Bunnell falls into the 'intellectually dimwitted and naturally dismal enough to not bother with evidence which doesn't support his views' category. And you know, you just know, he will be watching/following the match desperately hoping that we lose so that he can come back and spout more of his garbage about the club he allegedly supports.

See also AFC East.

Peter
05-13-2019, 12:51 PM

League standing
2018 - 6th
2019 - 5th

Total Points
2018 - 63
2019 - 70

Points behind Champions
2018 - 37
2019 - 28

Points behind 4th place
2018 - 12
2019 - 1

Goals for
2018 - 74
2019 - 73

Goals against
2018 - 51
2019 - 51

I think it's obvious that emery doesn't rate the full backs, bar possibly bellerin. He'll need to sort that out in the summer.

I'd say kolasinac and mustafi need to **** off. Mikitarian (I can't even be arsed to try and spell his name) can go as well. Ramsey and wellbeck already gone. He has a bit of work to do in the summer.

I cant say I've been impressed this season apart from the odd game here and there. Even Wenger's last seasons saw the players turn up every now and then.

AFC East
05-13-2019, 02:35 PM

Did we get better in the league as Emery's influence had more time to take root?

PSRB
05-13-2019, 02:57 PM
Did we get better in the league as Emery's influence had more time to take root?

If anything, the reverse. That said, injuries didn't help and we looked a much better side in the EL. We still blew a very easily attainable top 4 spot though

IUFG
05-13-2019, 03:18 PM
If anything, the reverse. That said, injuries didn't help and we looked a much better side in the EL. We still blew a very easily attainable top 4 spot though

...because the vast majority of the team are powder-puff pansies, p

WES
05-13-2019, 03:33 PM

So this is your new approach is it? :hehe:

When we play really well at the start of the season it's nothing to do with Emery but towards the end of the season when we go through a difficult period that's because Emery's incompetence finally took effect? :clap:

Would the other option be to admit you were prematurely harsh on Unai and he deserves a chance? That way you could start supporting the club again. :shrug:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-13-2019, 04:15 PM

League standing
2018 - 6th
2019 - 5th

Total Points
2018 - 63
2019 - 70

Points behind Champions
2018 - 37
2019 - 28

Points behind 4th place
2018 - 12
2019 - 1

Goals for
2018 - 74
2019 - 73

Goals against
2018 - 51
2019 - 51

To be honest, your stats suggest that very little has changed.

Have we improved? Total points suggest a little. Goals scored and conceded suggest not really.

Regardless of whether you are a Wenger in or Wenger out man, the consensus was that we came into the season with a leaky defence. Emery should have patched the leaks a little and made us harder to beat. He hasn't been able to change a thing in that respect. You can blame the players individually, you can blame the team spirit, you can blame the lack of funds etc etc. A decent manager should have been able to make at least a marginal improvement with these players. At the very least, fewer goals conceded. Chelsea and Spurs conceded 39 goals each.

The only thing Wenger leaving last summer was going to tell us was whether the issues at the club were caused by him or the lack of attention/interest/competence of the board. One year on, it seems that we are still trying to figure this out. This summer we should find out a little more.

Looking at the wider picture..... Was Emery our first choice or was he the only person that accepted the job with possible financial (or otherwise) restrictions imposed by the owner/board? Were there any restrictions (we can probably work that out based on prize, sponsorship, tv, gate money and spending of other clubs) or was the money available not spent wisely? Were there other candidates and we they offered the post. If we were under-performing, why wouldn't a top manager see some easy objectives? Did they turn us down and why? What about behind the scenes, Gazidis, Sven etc. How much influenced that have?

AFC East
05-13-2019, 06:01 PM
So this is your new approach is it? :hehe:

When we play really well at the start of the season it's nothing to do with Emery but towards the end of the season when we go through a difficult period that's because Emery's incompetence finally took effect? :clap:

Would the other option be to admit you were prematurely harsh on Unai and he deserves a chance? That way you could start supporting the club again. :shrug:

It's not an approach, it was simply a question. You can contend that Emery had more influence over the team at the start of the season if you choose.

AFC East
05-13-2019, 06:03 PM
To be honest, your stats suggest that very little has changed.

Have we improved? Total points suggest a little. Goals scored and conceded suggest not really.

Regardless of whether you are a Wenger in or Wenger out man, the consensus was that we came into the season with a leaky defence. Emery should have patched the leaks a little and made us harder to beat. He hasn't been able to change a thing in that respect. You can blame the players individually, you can blame the team spirit, you can blame the lack of funds etc etc. A decent manager should have been able to make at least a marginal improvement with these players. At the very least, fewer goals conceded. Chelsea and Spurs conceded 39 goals each.

The only thing Wenger leaving last summer was going to tell us was whether the issues at the club were caused by him or the lack of attention/interest/competence of the board. One year on, it seems that we are still trying to figure this out. This summer we should find out a little more.

Looking at the wider picture..... Was Emery our first choice or was he the only person that accepted the job with possible financial (or otherwise) restrictions imposed by the owner/board? Were there any restrictions (we can probably work that out based on prize, sponsorship, tv, gate money and spending of other clubs) or was the money available not spent wisely? Were there other candidates and we they offered the post. If we were under-performing, why wouldn't a top manager see some easy objectives? Did they turn us down and why? What about behind the scenes, Gazidis, Sven etc. How much influenced that have?

Very reasonable post. My view is that Emery almost certainly wasn't our first choice and he hasn't done anything to stop us choosing someone higher up the list if they are available.

AFC East
05-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Exactly. We performed well in some big key games, but I'd argue that neither Napoli or Valencia are remotely close to the top 4 in the Premiership. It was a great opportunity to finish 3rd, but we choked.

John Bunnell
05-13-2019, 06:22 PM

That was simply the new manager rejuvenation affect. Same happened with Ole at United. I think we should be more concerned with the worst run of results since the 60s. That is an atrocious for any manager to reside over.

WES
05-14-2019, 07:36 AM
It's not an approach, it was simply a question. You can contend that Emery had more influence over the team at the start of the season if you choose.

I have contended nothing of the kind. We did add reading to your areas for improvement, didn't we?

I contend that Emery should be judged on the entire season, all 38 games including the 11 wins in a row, the 20+ games in a row undefeated and the poor finish.

Any rational, logical person who understood anything about football would do exactly that. Not you and Bunnell, of course.

IUFG
05-14-2019, 08:29 AM
That was simply the new manager rejuvenation affect. Same happened with Ole at United.

The blip of good results at Man Yanited was due to the relief of Mourinho leaving rather than the arrival of Solksjaer.

Solksjaer will be sacked next season. mmw.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
05-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Anyone who has worked in large organisations knows that even after CEO leaves his ethos, almost his very DNA is left behind and it takes time to purge. The company I work for now is spiralling around the plughole and about to fail due, for he most part, to a founder/owner we got rid of eight years ago.

His whole firefighing, table thumping ethos cripples us to this day because of the technical debt he chose to ignore. His biggest failing was his inability to hear any voice save his own (sound familiar). We had some of America's best software engineers in our time but they never stayed long when they realised to CEO was basically a bellicose arsehole who didn't understand how anything worked.

Wenger was a notoriously soft trainer and any new manager who tries to change that will encounter resistance and resentment. He clearly had no time for set piece practice as evidenced by the number of times a corner kick would see our players looking at each other wondering who was going to take it - invariably TH would step up and proceed to stink the place out with the shíttest corner kick you ever saw.

A new manager needs to clear out his predecessor's rock stars because they will infect any new arrivals. Unai should start with that turkish ****. Keown said he wouldn't even have him in the squad for the trip to Valencia because "he doesn't play away from home". Fer fúcks fúcking sake!

AFC East
05-15-2019, 11:59 AM
I have contended nothing of the kind. We did add reading to your areas for improvement, didn't we?

I contend that Emery should be judged on the entire season, all 38 games including the 11 wins in a row, the 20+ games in a row undefeated and the poor finish.

Any rational, logical person who understood anything about football would do exactly that. Not you and Bunnell, of course.

Any rational, logical person would realise that Emery had enjoyed more time to influence the team by the end of the season.

p.s. Comprehension, not reading. HTH.

WES
05-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Any rational, logical person would realise that Emery had enjoyed more time to influence the team by the end of the season.

p.s. Comprehension, not reading. HTH.

Any rational, logical person who understood football would understand that there are significant number of parameters that would need to be considered when trying to understand how a team performed over a specific number of games including the quality of the opposition, the nature of the opposition, the number of games played in a specific time frame, injuries, the age of key players, the decisions taken by the manager etc etc. And that to reduce all of those considerations down to the quality of the manager only would be really stupid.

p.s. Apologies, I assumed your issue was an inability to read, I hadn't gone as far as comprehension but if that's your issue then fair enough.