PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else begun to feel Brexit?

WES
04-15-2019, 11:58 AM
There is a rather wonderful cheese shop in Guildford where I am quite the regular. They even began ageing their Morbier at my request.

So I walk into the shop on Satdee to find out that not only do they not have aged Morbier, they are beginning to struggle to maintain their stocks of French cheese generally. Apparently the Froggies have begun checking exports and this is slowing down delivery which compromises the quality of the cheese so the distributors in France (who are oversubscribed three times within the EU) figure there is no point sending it to the UK.

Now I understand Leave's point of view even if I disagree with some of it, but surely democratic principles, immigration concerns etc should not stand in the way of a chap having access to the best cheese possible? That's just not reasonable.

Basically, Leavers out!

redgunamo
04-15-2019, 12:06 PM
You could always live in France. There's plenty of that sort of thing here; French cheese and whatnot.

There is a rather wonderful cheese shop in Guildford where I am quite the regular. They even began ageing their Morbier at my request.

So I walk into the shop on Satdee to find out that not only do they not have aged Morbier, they are beginning to struggle to maintain their stocks of French cheese generally. Apparently the Froggies have begun checking exports and this is slowing down delivery which compromises the quality of the cheese so the distributors in France (who are oversubscribed three times within the EU) figure there is no point sending it to the UK.

Now I understand Leave's point of view even if I disagree with some of it, but surely democratic principles, immigration concerns etc should not stand in the way of a chap having access to the best cheese possible? That's just not reasonable.

Basically, Leavers out!

Sir C
04-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Basically, Leavers out!

Either that is a lie, or les Douaniers have taken it upon themselves to act illegally.

We are still members of the EU. There is no such thing as an 'export' within the EU.

The cheese is in free circulation within the EU - unless, of course, the cheese isn't French at all, but has been imported to France from outside the EU, in which case it will be subject to community transit procedures. The ICTS system is currently down, actually, byt HMRC have authorised the fallback procedure so the only possible reason for your cheese being delayed is that 1) it is Duabaiin cheese and 2) some daft French **** is unable to write out a C88.

Do points 1 and 2 carry a strong air of verisimilitude, would you say?

WES
04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
You could always live in France. There's plenty of that sort of thing here; French cheese and whatnot.

Well, I could have until Brexit :-(

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Either that is a lie, or les Douaniers have taken it upon themselves to act illegally.

We are still members of the EU. There is no such thing as an 'export' within the EU.

The cheese is in free circulation within the EU - unless, of course, the cheese isn't French at all, but has been imported to France from outside the EU, in which case it will be subject to community transit procedures. The ICTS system is currently down, actually, byt HMRC have authorised the fallback procedure so the only possible reason for your cheese being delayed is that 1) it is Duabaiin cheese and 2) some daft French **** is unable to write out a C88.

Verisi farkin miltude - just say truth you big poncy puff.

Pokster
04-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Basically, Leavers out!

Cheese is **** though :shrug:

Sir C
04-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Verisi farkin miltude - just say truth you big poncy puff.

Not all of us get up in the morning and pull on some old sacking secured with string, h. We favour the carefully tailored suit; the trousering accentuating the gracefulness of the calf, the jacket cut to highlight the manly chest and shoulders. In a similar way, we use language to ornament our speech and add the essential elegance to our lives. You daft old ****.

Pokster
04-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Not all of us get up in the morning and pull on some old sacking secured with string, h. We favour the carefully tailored suit; the trousering accentuating the gracefulness of the calf, the jacket cut to highlight the manly chest and shoulders. In a similar way, we use language to ornament our speech and add the essential elegance to our lives. You daft old ****.

Have you had a body transplant?

Sir C
04-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Have you had a body transplant?

My body's good enough for your mum so it should be good enough for you.

When does the lad start bringinghome the big bucks, then?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-15-2019, 01:15 PM

The word is the very embodiment of pompous Victorian over-elaboration. Six syllables where one will do! Exactly the kind of thing George Orwell railed against correctly observing that powerful writing is characterised by forthrightness and simplicity.

I bet Monty, a published author no less, would agree with me.

Pokster
04-15-2019, 01:16 PM
My body's good enough for your mum so it should be good enough for you.

When does the lad start bringinghome the big bucks, then?

Probably 10 yrs or so if he is lucky enough to be the 1% of lads that makes it...until then we will just enjoy the experience (and hope Leeds get promoted as we get 2 free season tickets each season he is kept on)

Sir C
04-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Probably 10 yrs or so if he is lucky enough to be the 1% of lads that makes it...until then we will just enjoy the experience (and hope Leeds get promoted as we get 2 free season tickets each season he is kept on)

Fingers crossed then. :thumbup:

Sir C
04-15-2019, 01:20 PM
The word is the very embodiment of pompous Victorian over-elaboration. Six syllables where one will do! Exactly the kind of thing George Orwell railed against correctly observing that powerful writing is characterised by forthrightness and simplicity.

I bet Monty, a published author no less, would agree with me.

Monty knows only words of one syllable. "Oy ve you potts" is about as poetical as he waxes.

eastgermanautos
04-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Don't you know a lot. Jesus, you could have spent the time it took you to acquire all this knowledge wa_nking.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
04-15-2019, 01:47 PM

You're actually wrong, C.

The French custom unions have been working to rule to show the country isn't ready for a no deal (and to consequently demand a massive wage rise and loads more jobs.)

They searched every bag for the Eurostar, meaning there were 6 hr delays and queues coming out the Gare du Nord.

Then they also started asking every vehicle at Calais to show them the docs and checked it matched the number plate. Nothing more. But this led to huge tailbacks.

This is why I didn't buy my usual ten quid coach ticket back and spent a nifty or more flying from CdG. (Some small new terminal, 3. Don't remember that from my St Martin days. Was 2F for long-haul back then.)

And there, despite arriving over 2 hrs before hand, they had to round those of us still queuing a T-20mins when the gates were meant to close and get us through security.

Flight delayed for 40 mins.

So they have been doing this.

I don't know about cheese, but assuming WES is accurately reporting what his fromage-wallah was saying*, then given what I experienced in March, I have no reason to doubt him. The Customs Unions were doing this as part of a co-ordinated action.

And it's not illegal. AFAIK. But I'm not an expert on those things. But it certainly wasn't according to UK and Fr papers in terms of the GdN and Calais checks.

*Ask him who scored the sexiest goal vs Napoli to see if he can speak the truth.

PSRB
04-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Cheese is **** though :shrug:

Disappointed, P. Cheese is the food of the Gods, especially when consumed alongside a nice wine.

We have a new cheese shop opening in Urmston, civilisation has reached the North!

eastgermanautos
04-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Disappointed, P. Cheese is the food of the Gods, especially when consumed alongside a nice wine.

We have a new cheese shop opening in Urmston, civilisation has reached the North!

While I like cheese, I enjoy hot dogs even more

Sir C
04-15-2019, 02:00 PM
You're actually wrong, C.

The French custom unions have been working to rule to show the country isn't ready for a no deal (and to consequently demand a massive wage rise and loads more jobs.)

They searched every bag for the Eurostar, meaning there were 6 hr delays and queues coming out the Gare du Nord.

Then they also started asking every vehicle at Calais to show them the docs and checked it matched the number plate. Nothing more. But this led to huge tailbacks.

This is why I didn't buy my usual ten quid coach ticket back and spent a nifty or more flying from CdG. (Some small new terminal, 3. Don't remember that from my St Martin days. Was 2F for long-haul back then.)

And there, despite arriving over 2 hrs before hand, they had to round those of us still queuing a T-20mins when the gates were meant to close and get us through security.

Flight delayed for 40 mins.

So they have been doing this.

I don't know about cheese, but assuming WES is accurately reporting what his fromage-wallah was saying*, then given what I experienced in March, I have no reason to doubt him. The Customs Unions were doing this as part of a co-ordinated action.

And it's not illegal. AFAIK. But I'm not an expert on those things. But it certainly wasn't according to UK and Fr papers in terms of the GdN and Calais checks.

*Ask him who scored the sexiest goal vs Napoli to see if he can speak the truth.

The bottom line is that you can't interfere with goods travelling between two EU countries, g. What those whacky frogs choose to get up to is their business, but they're in breach of some fúcking convention or treaty or somesuch.

****s.

I'm off to France in June for a birthday party and the bástards at BA are rushing me over 200 quid per head. In economy, for all love. Economy!

Burney
04-15-2019, 02:06 PM
The bottom line is that you can't interfere with goods travelling between two EU countries, g. What those whacky frogs choose to get up to is their business, but they're in breach of some fúcking convention or treaty or somesuch.

****s.

I'm off to France in June for a birthday party and the bástards at BA are rushing me over 200 quid per head. In economy, for all love. Economy!

You said 'bottom' and 'interfere with' :hehe:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-15-2019, 02:10 PM
You said 'bottom' and 'interfere with' :hehe:

He said 'economy' b which, for an upper class gentleman like Sir C, is the worst kind of profanity.

Burney
04-15-2019, 02:12 PM
He said 'economy' b which, for an upper class gentleman like Sir C, is the worst kind of profanity.

Not even 'Premium Economy' :cry:

Pokster
04-15-2019, 02:14 PM

Can't stand the smell of the stuff

04-15-2019, 02:20 PM

****s.

Don't shoot the messenger, C.

I know what they were doing at CdG and GdN in March. And assuming the cheese checkers are part of the same union, I'd easily believe they're doing it too.

Any customs man can check anything they want. Normally they just check the odd thing. But if Jean-Pierre Douanier wants to check the contents of every single package going to the good old Royaume-Uni, then he's allowed to.

I know it's confusing you that a froggie union member is actually doing his job properly instead of going on strike, but this is what Macron's done to the country.

Burney
04-15-2019, 02:40 PM

I know what they were doing at CdG and GdN in March. And assuming the cheese checkers are part of the same union, I'd easily believe they're doing it too.

Any customs man can check anything they want. Normally they just check the odd thing. But if Jean-Pierre Douanier wants to check the contents of every single package going to the good old Royaume-Uni, then he's allowed to.

I know it's confusing you that a froggie union member is actually doing his job properly instead of going on strike, but this is what Macron's done to the country.

I foresee a career for myself as a swashbuckling cheese-runner, sailing the Dover straits with my fast and weatherly three-masted sloop packed to the gunwhales with Boursin and bound for the South Coast with a damned Xebec full of frog Excisemen in my wake. :cloud9:

Sir C
04-15-2019, 02:44 PM
I foresee a career for myself as a swashbuckling cheese-runner, sailing the Dover straits with my fast and weatherly three-masted sloop packed to the gunwhales with Boursin and bound for the South Coast with a damned Xebec full of frog Excisemen in my wake. :cloud9:

I really miss Vignottes. Haven't seen it for years. Could you bring me back a couple please?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Oh God, the poor staff are going to have to endure his foot stamping and tantrums all the way - "No champagne, plastic cutlery and this fellow next to me, in addition to being patently lower class, is so close I can bally well hear him breathing!"

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-15-2019, 02:47 PM

What's confusing him is the notion of people working for a living.

Burney
04-15-2019, 02:48 PM
I really miss Vignottes. Haven't seen it for years. Could you bring me back a couple please?

Naturally. However powerful a cheese magnate I become, I shall always take care of my friends.

Woe betide those who've crossed me, though. :furious:

Sir C
04-15-2019, 02:49 PM

In my new spirit of frugality I refuse to pay ridiculous sums to travel Business on short haul flights.

I shall never, of course, lower myself to using Ryanair or Easyjet.

Burney
04-15-2019, 02:50 PM
In my new spirit of frugality I refuse to pay ridiculous sums to travel Business on short haul flights.

I shall never, of course, lower myself to using Ryanair or Easyjet.

Do you know, I was just trying to remember the last time I took a short haul flight that actually had business class. :hehe: :hide:

PSRB
04-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Do you know, I was just trying to remember the last time I took a short haul flight that actually had business class. :hehe: :hide:

I took one in the States and got upgraded to 1st class, which essentially is a slightly wider seat and a glass of Champagne on take-off

WES
04-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Mrs WES and I flew business class to Seville, was surprised at how little I had to pay compared to economy.

Turns out business class was nothing more than economy seats with the middle seat free, and one free drink. :-(

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-15-2019, 04:57 PM
While I like cheese, I enjoy hot dogs even more

You're Septic....you think cheese is something sprayed from a can

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-15-2019, 05:01 PM

They aren't doing any of that at GdN now.

There wasn't any of that at Calais back in March when we went to fetch some pre-Brexit booze.

Tony C
04-15-2019, 05:08 PM
I noticed Count Dankula (Nazi salute dog guy) and Sargon Of Akkad are going to run in the Euro Elections.

If they get in then I’m running too...sounds like Freeeee Moneyyyyyy imo

-

redgunamo
04-15-2019, 05:34 PM
You still could, if you wanted. That's the dirty little secret though, isn't it? Nobody really wants to.

Especially now, you'd think, with even Notre Dame on fire :-(

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1117839474292031494?s=19

Well, I could have until Brexit :-(

taxman10
04-15-2019, 05:45 PM
I went through gare du nord last week and customs was fine so I suggest you are full of ****

Sir C
04-15-2019, 07:04 PM
Mrs WES and I flew business class to Seville, was surprised at how little I had to pay compared to economy.

Turns out business class was nothing more than economy seats with the middle seat free, and one free drink. :-(

That’s why you don’t fly business short haul. Clueless kunt.

04-15-2019, 07:39 PM
I went through gare du nord last week and customs was fine so I suggest you are full of ****

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/20/french-customs-strike-continues-to-cause-cross-channel-travel-chaos

Full of shît, am I?

I said that they were doing this in March:

French customs officers are into their third week of industrial action over long-running anger at working conditions, saying a lack of preparation for a no-deal Brexit was the final straw.

Instead of walking off the job, customs officers are diligently carrying out longer and more rigorous checks than usual, to demonstrate what might happen if full border controls are put in place after Brexit, particularly in the case of no deal.

Union leaders said customs officers at the Eurostar terminal were simply asking two or three extra questions of passengers – which was causing acute delays and train cancellations.

When the action began at Calais and Dunkirk ports on 4 March, customs officers simply carried out vehicle checks and requested registration documents, resulting in two weeks of lengthy tailbacks for trucks waiting to cross to Britain. Unions warned the disturbance caused by rigorous checks was a taste of post-Brexit reality.

Maybe you should have checked before you posted.