PDA

View Full Version : Mustafi.

Sir C
04-03-2019, 12:34 PM
He's not actually a bad defender at all, is he? I think he's a rather good centre back, actually.

He just makes the occasional mistake.

Who amongst you never makes a mistake? Hmm?

IUFG
04-03-2019, 12:37 PM
He's not actually a bad defender at all, is he? I think he's a rather good centre back, actually.

But he seems to make criticial ones, sc.

AND. the same critical ones. Over and over.

Must notably going to fúcking ground too quickly. leading to all sorts of bad nonsense

PSRB
04-03-2019, 12:39 PM

Must notably going to fúcking ground too quickly. leading to all sorts of bad nonsense

he makes the sort of mistakes that you don't get away with in the PL. That said, I do agree with sc, I said it on Twitter the other day, there is a very good defender there, most of the time.

Sir C
04-03-2019, 12:40 PM

If you're not going to fly into tackles, why bother being a centre back at all? That would be my question. His job is to go to ground. If, sometimes, there are unfortunate consequences, well that's just the nature of the beast.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-03-2019, 12:47 PM

He is ****. Next question.

Sir C
04-03-2019, 12:48 PM
He is ****. Next question.

Thank you for that thoughtful, nuanced analysis b.

IUFG
04-03-2019, 12:50 PM
If you're not going to fly into tackles, why bother being a centre back at all? That would be my question. His job is to go to ground. If, sometimes, there are unfortunate consequences, well that's just the nature of the beast.

That may have been the case in the 70s and 80s and maybe even the early 90s but not so much now.

If you go to ground now, you need to make sure you get all of the ball and none of the man or some **** like Mike De*n will show you a red card.

I actually thought Mustafi had a decent game on Monday. Apart from the 2 hospital passes he made. And that 'cross'.

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2019, 12:51 PM

Sokratis doesn't ask too many questions either - makes a few mistakes but is indisputably a fine centre half. Maybe growing up* watching O'Leary, Adams, Bould, Campbell has spoiled us

*of course we haven't grown up yet

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2019, 12:51 PM
That may have been the case in the 70s and 80s and maybe even the early 90s but not so much now.

If you go to ground now, you need to make sure you get all of the ball and none of the man or some **** like Mike De*n will show you a red card.

I actually thought Mustafi had a decent game on Monday. Apart from the 2 hospital passes he made. And that 'cross'.

What would Mike Riley do?

IUFG
04-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Sokratis doesn't ask too many questions either - makes a few mistakes but is indisputably a fine centre half. Maybe growing up* watching O'Leary, Adams, Bould, Campbell has spoiled us

suprising omission of Kolo Toure there, la. Another, fine centre half, in his time of course.

IUFG
04-03-2019, 12:55 PM
What would Mike Riley do?

ooooh, you tease...

**************** RILEY you know the rest....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M

and the answer, apparently, is FúCK ALL. If you play for Manchester united.

Sir C
04-03-2019, 12:55 PM

I can't believe you missed out Willie Young. And Chalky Whyte.

Ash
04-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Mikey Dee got the Ashley Young dismissal correct last night though. Albeit a second yellow - studs up, going over the ball. Much worse than Nacho's yellow on monday, which was studs down and cleaner contact with the ball. Though the point is that you just can't fly in off the ground as it can always be considered out of control.

IUFG
04-03-2019, 12:58 PM

yer see, Chris Whyte. a completely forgettable player.

Not a bad one, just forgettable.

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2019, 12:59 PM
Mikey Dee got the Ashley Young dismissal correct last night though. Albeit a second yellow - studs up, going over the ball. Much worse than Nacho's yellow on monday, which was studs down and cleaner contact with the ball. Though the point is that you just can't fly in off the ground as it can always be considered out of control.

Yeah - thought Nacho's was a good tackle. Got the ball with the top of the boot, but I can see why the ref gave it...

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2019, 01:00 PM

Never saw either of them play live for Arsenal - saw Chalky play for Leeds. Didn't Mariner fill in at centre half at one point :yikes:

Viva Prat Vegas
04-03-2019, 01:14 PM
:nod:

More of an emergency though, LA

ie The only back-up (TA) was injured and some kid called Keown was out on loan

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2019, 01:32 PM
:nod:

More of an emergency though, LA

ie The only back-up (TA) was injured and some kid called Keown was out on loan
Think Keown was at Brighton - we played Villa in the game I am thinking of and promptly sold MK to them the next year

Viva Prat Vegas
04-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Correct re Brighton
The Villa game must have been the Milk Cup tie where we lost to an easily beatable struggling side at Highbury (Mid 80s Arsenal ineptitude in a microcosm) and Howe preferred an out-dated Mariner in midfield instead of Williams :hehe:
One of your favourites - Robson - was crocked

Sir C
04-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Correct re Brighton
The Villa game must have been the Milk Cup tie where we lost to an easily beatable struggling side at Highbury (Mid 80s Arsenal ineptitude in a microcosm) and Howe preferred an out-dated Mariner in midfield instead of Williams :hehe:

He was a proper unit, Mariner. I reckon tackling him must have felt like running into the side of a block of flats.

Luis Anaconda
04-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Correct re Brighton

Stevie was simply one of the finest men ever to play for The Arsenal FACT

Tony C
04-03-2019, 04:41 PM
He’s certainly no Stepanovs or Blunderos but how we’re in the top 4 with him is beyond me.

No denying he’s got something about him but it’s time for us and him to shake hands and part ways.

Same with Xhaka....heard he wants the captaincy next season loooool

redgunamo
04-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Agreed. But our mistakes cost us dearly because we don't really score enough; we often don't have enough goals to play with.

AFC East
04-03-2019, 07:13 PM

No more than three per waking hour from me Sir.

Luis Anaconda
04-04-2019, 07:48 AM
He’s certainly no Stepanovs or Blunderos but how we’re in the top 4 with him is beyond me.

No denying he’s got something about him but it’s time for us and him to shake hands and part ways.

Same with Xhaka....heard he wants the captaincy next season loooool
Xhaka has been excellent this season :shrug:

Tony C
04-04-2019, 08:09 AM
He’s been better in a few games but hardly top class.

If we can break even on him and Mustafi then let’s do it. We’ve lost loads on Ramsey and it looks like we’re going to keep paying Ozil 300k a week.

Gwen and Torreira are the future and would like us to add someone who can help take them and us to the next level.

Sir C
04-04-2019, 08:22 AM
He’s been better in a few games but hardly top class.

If we can break even on him and Mustafi then let’s do it. We’ve lost loads on Ramsey and it looks like we’re going to keep paying Ozil 300k a week.

Gwen and Torreira are the future and would like us to add someone who can help take them and us to the next level.

Nah. Xhaka's played like Xabi Alonso for much of this season. We're a markedly worse team without him.

Built the midfield around him, I say.

Luis Anaconda
04-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Nah. Xhaka's played like Xabi Alonso for much of this season. We're a markedly worse team without him.

Built the midfield around him, I say.

Yep - spot on. Good leader too - I'd be more than happy for him to be captain. Look what happened when the Swiss took him off when 3-0 up the other day :yikes:

Sir C
04-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Yep - spot on. Good leader too - I'd be more than happy for him to be captain. Look what happened when the Swiss took him off when 3-0 up the other day :yikes:

Lols. I hadn't seen that. Daft búggers.

WES
04-04-2019, 08:38 AM

Torreira - Xhaka Gwendoozi

This fills me with joy. Not sure how often we've seen it this year but it is the way forward. And you could probably play any two of those in a two man midfield.

WES
04-04-2019, 08:43 AM

This fills me with joy. Not sure how often we've seen it this year but it is the way forward. And you could probably play any two of those in a two man midfield.

Leno
Hector Papa Kos Monreal
Torreira
Xhaka Gwendoozi
Ozil
Laca Boomerang

The proverbial midfield diamond with Torreira at the base and Ozil the top and two up front. That actually looks pretty decent. Not sure we've played that this year. And suggests that we may only be 2 or 3 players away.

Great timez :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
04-04-2019, 08:43 AM

I think that is was the chosen midfield during our dodgy spell :hide: But definitely an option when you have two good wing backs to provide the width.

WES
04-04-2019, 08:45 AM
I think that is was the chosen midfield during our dodgy spell :hide: But definitely an option when you have two good wing backs to provide the width.

Yeah but wasn't that when we were hammered at the back with injuries? And Leno was not in the form then that he has been recently. Also don't recall him playing two up front either.

Pokster
04-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Lols. I hadn't seen that. Daft búggers.

He was injured tbf

Luis Anaconda
04-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Yeah but wasn't that when we were hammered at the back with injuries? And Leno was not in the form then that he has been recently. Also don't recall him playing two up front either.

Possibly true - Bellerin was definitely out for most of that period for one thing. I like your team selection there - though as much as I love Nacho i think an upgrade there is important (and would seem to be along the lines of what we are planning from all rumours - would love Chilwell from Leicester)

Rich
04-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Possibly true - Bellerin was definitely out for most of that period for one thing. I like your team selection there - though as much as I love Nacho i think an upgrade there is important (and would seem to be along the lines of what we are planning from all rumours - would love Chilwell from Leicester)

Not Chilwell. Bad and expensive choice. The best choice is Kieran Tiereney. However, Alaba is sure to leave Bayern now that Hernandez has signed, no? He's also an Arsenal fan & said that he has dreamt of playing for the club :cloud9:

Ash
04-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Possibly the two up front during the dodgy spell as well.

Luis Anaconda
04-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Not Chilwell. Bad and expensive choice. The best choice is Kieran Tiereney. However, Alaba is sure to leave Bayern now that Hernandez has signed, no? He's also an Arsenal fan & said that he has dreamt of playing for the club :cloud9:

You've never seen Tierney play have you? If you have then you're a deviant for watching Scottish football. :)

Actually forgot about Alaba - would like him too