PDA

View Full Version : So it seems I'm going to Lisbon for a short break. What's good there, then?

Burney
04-01-2019, 01:47 PM
All recommendations welcome.

Pat Vegas
04-01-2019, 01:55 PM

I may head that way.
I am going on a cruise for some reason but will end up in Spain with free time to head anywhere I want.

Maybe I will go down and solve the Madeline case :sherlock:

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:02 PM
I may head that way.
I am going on a cruise for some reason but will end up in Spain with free time to head anywhere I want.

Maybe I will go down and solve the Madeline case :sherlock:

You don't need to go to Portugal to solve the Madeline case, f.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:06 PM
He's also abducted all the apostrophes

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:09 PM
He's also abducted all the apostrophes

Wouldnt put it past him.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 02:14 PM

There's a club underneath the Hatrd Rock Café where I chatted to Alvin Martin and played piss tennis with Ray Houghton. I also tried to persuade someone who wasn't Sepp Maier that he was Sepp Maier.

The bacalhao is jank.

PSRB
04-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Can't remember, was arse-holed from the moment I arrived until I left. Do vaguely remember enjoying it though

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:22 PM
There's a club underneath the Hatrd Rock Café where I chatted to Alvin Martin and played piss tennis with Ray Houghton. I also tried to persuade someone who wasn't Sepp Maier that he was Sepp Maier.

The bacalhao is jank.

Why would someone claim not to be Sepp Maier?

I like bacalhao fritters. Generally, though, you're right.

Luis Anaconda
04-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Can't remember, was arse-holed from the moment I arrived until I left. Do vaguely remember enjoying it though

Similarly I can recommend the hospitality village from the Euro 2004 final but little else. I spent a couple of hours in the airport once as well - nice chicken place

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Similarly I can recommend the hospitality village from the Euro 2004 final but little else. I spent a couple of hours in the airport once as well - nice chicken place

You people are no use.

PSRB
04-01-2019, 02:27 PM

In fairness, my recollection of Munich is similar

Rich
04-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Buy sardines from the withered old men with buckets of charcoal. Sit on the floor outside one of the bars in Barrio Alto and scoff them with some oaky Portuguese white.

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Buy sardines from the withered old men with buckets of charcoal. Sit on the floor outside one of the bars in Barrio Alto and scoff them with some oaky Portuguese white.

Why would I sit on the floor? :-(

Norn Iron
04-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Pastel de nata and Brazilian cocktails.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 02:30 PM
You people are no use.

It was hot when I was there. Stinking, stinking hot. The main square was set up to hold the thousands of England supporters gathered foir the game against whoever it was. My chum went into a Portaloo to relieve himself and came out crying, "That's not a bog, it's a fúcking piss sauna!"

Piss sauna. 15 years down the road and I still chuckle at 'piss sauna'. :hehe:

PSRB
04-01-2019, 02:33 PM

In my top 10 of hugely over-rated things

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:34 PM

Oooh, Caipirinhas? I remember getting quite hammered on those at a churrasco in Austin.

100 degree heat, hard liquor and a massive load of meat. What could possibly have gone wrong?

Rich
04-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Why would I sit on the floor? :-(

There are many spiks and few (if any) seats. But it’s quite romantic, really. Old man playing guitar, even older men cooking sardinhas, everyone else sitting around drinking & eating. Wd Portugueses.

You can find some steps to sit on if the floor is too demeaning.

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:35 PM
In my top 10 of hugely over-rated things

They're very nice, but they're just custard tarts at the end of the day.

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:36 PM
There are many spiks and few (if any) seats. But it’s quite romantic, really. Old man playing guitar, even older men cooking sardinhas, everyone else sitting around drinking & eating. Wd Portugueses.

You can find some steps to sit on if the floor is too demeaning.

I'm 45 years old. I'm fúcked if I'm sitting on the floor anywhere. Could play havoc with me piles.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:36 PM
I now fancy a couple of char grilled sardines with a sprinkling of mint and lemon juice

Sir C
04-01-2019, 02:40 PM
I now fancy a couple of char grilled sardines with a sprinkling of mint and lemon juice

Open a tin of sardines in tomato sauce and chuck them on a slice of toasted Mother's Pride. Nonse of that EU rubbish round here.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Nonce to you too mate

Ash
04-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Open a tin of sardines in tomato sauce and chuck them on a slice of toasted Mother's Pride. Nonse of that EU rubbish round here.

Blimey that takes me back to the seventies. Next night: Toast Toppers.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Bird's Angel Delight for afters

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Shippam's Fish Paste, mate. Oh, yes. I'm pretty sure one whiff of that on hot toast could take me back to 1979.

Ash
04-01-2019, 02:47 PM

:nono: Instant Whip.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Cor, I could fancy Toast Toppers. There was a mushroom one that was exceptional.

Let me just say this: Findus Crispy Pancakes. Beef and onion flavour :eat:

Norn Iron
04-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Oooh, Caipirinhas? I remember getting quite hammered on those at a churrasco in Austin.

100 degree heat, hard liquor and a massive load of meat. What could possibly have gone wrong?

That's the ones. They sent me the same way. They were so sweet you could barely taste the alcohol after a few of them. Din't help that they served them almost by the litre. Dangerous stuff.

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Shippam's Fish Paste, mate. Oh, yes. I'm pretty sure one whiff of that on hot toast could take me back to 1979.

Good God! They still make it. I may have to have some as an amuse bouche prior to my grillsteaks and crinkle-cut chips next week. :eat:

http://www.princesgroup.com/brands/shippams/

Sir C
04-01-2019, 02:49 PM

Some years ago, feeling nostalgic for Angel Delight, I bought a packet of the chocolate flavour job. Being a sophistcated adult, I decided to make it with double cream instead of milk.

It was good. It was soooooo good. :cloud9:

Sir C
04-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Good God! They still make it. I may have to have some as an amuse bouche prior to my grillsteaks and crinkle-cut chips next week. :eat:

http://www.princesgroup.com/brands/shippams/

Will you have peas with the grillsteaks? You must ensure that they are NOT petits pois. You want big fat peas. From a tin.

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Cor, I could fancy Toast Toppers. There was a mushroom one that was exceptional.

Let me just say this: Findus Crispy Pancakes. Beef and onion flavour :eat:

Chicken & Mushroom was superior. Beef and onion smelled like a tramp's pants.

Bizarrely, they discontinued the chicken and mushroom and now you can only get the tramp's pants flavour.

I'd guess this was because the chemicals used to make the chicken and mushroom delicious were almost certainly made illegal.

Ash
04-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Don't whatever you do sit in a bar watching Arsenal play Man Utd at OT. #game50 #MikeRiley :-(

I went to a posh restaurant on a hill overlooking the old town which was a fine view. No idea what it was called. Otherwise wander round the old town eating fish and drinking Superbok. Even the eggs taste of fish. :-|

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Will you have peas with the grillsteaks? You must ensure that they are NOT petits pois. You want big fat peas. From a tin.

:nod: We didn't have petits pois in my day.

Or I could have beans? :rubchin:

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:52 PM
:cloud9:

Now I fancy a chocolate Nesquik

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:53 PM
Don't whatever you do sit in a bar watching Arsenal play Man Utd at OT. #game50 #MikeRiley :-(

I went to a posh restaurant on a hill overlooking the old town which was a fine view. No idea what it was called. Otherwise wander round the old town eating fish and drinking Superbok. Even the eggs taste of fish. :-|

I mostly intend to eat clams.

Ash
Chicken & Mushroom was superior. Beef and onion smelled like a tramp's pants.

Bizarrely, they discontinued the chicken and mushroom and now you can only get the tramp's pants flavour.

I'd guess this was because the chemicals used to make the chicken and mushroom delicious were almost certainly made illegal.

You seem rather well acquainted with tramp's pants. :sherlock:

Sir C
:nod: We didn't have petits pois in my day.

Or I could have beans? :rubchin:

I'm thinking of the picture on the box... definitely peas, I'd say. Beans might be a bit... common.

These crinkle-cut chips. They're not going to be of the oven variety, are they?

Burney
:cloud9:

Now I fancy a chocolate Nesquik

I preferred strawberry. Your mum would always tell you not to put too much powder in, not realising that what you wanted was the sludge at the bottom.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Sir C "Will you have peas with the grillsteaks? You must ensure that they are NOT petits pois. You want big fat peas. From a tin"

:nono:
Too school dinnerish
I always left the faded green bullet peas they served up

And the hemisphere of mash

Burney
04-01-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm thinking of the picture on the box... definitely peas, I'd say. Beans might be a bit... common.

These crinkle-cut chips. They're not going to be of the oven variety, are they?

What kind of man do you take me for? :-(

You can't get chips from ovens. You get...something else.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Burney "I preferred strawberry. Your mum would always tell you not to put too much powder in, not realising that what you wanted was the sludge at the bottom."

Ooh! Sweet as can be, wasn't it

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Ash "Don't whatever you do sit in a bar watching Arsenal play Man Utd at OT. #game50 #MikeRiley "

Thankfully IUFG isn't in the AWIMB building today

Burney
04-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Burney "I preferred strawberry. Your mum would always tell you not to put too much powder in, not realising that what you wanted was the sludge at the bottom."

Ooh! Sweet as can be, wasn't it

:nod: Like pretty much everything children ate back then.

It is genuinely amazing that those of us who grew up in post-rationing Britain have any teeth left at all.

Rich
04-01-2019, 03:03 PM

Was it this place, by any chance? I wouldn’t call it post but perhaps our standards differ. Anyway, it was quite fantastic. I had the most wonderful leg of lamb there.

http://chapito-a-mesa.thefork.rest/en_GB/

Burney
04-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Was it this place, by any chance? I wouldn’t call it post but perhaps our standards differ. Anyway, it was quite fantastic. I had the most wonderful leg of lamb there.

It offers something called 'porklamb shank with spices and vegetable bulgur'.

Now either they've been undertaking unholy genetic experimentation over there or they're really hedging their bets.

Rich
04-01-2019, 03:10 PM
It offers something called 'porklamb shank with spices and vegetable bulgur'.

Now either they've been undertaking unholy genetic experimentation over there or they're really hedging their bets.

That was perhaps the dish i had. Say what you like, but I was very fond of their tender pork lamb.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Steak à marrare is accompanied by mix salad

Burney
04-01-2019, 03:16 PM
That was perhaps the dish i had. Say what you like, but I was very fond of their tender pork lamb.

Their rather charming grasp of English aside, I rather like a restaurant that only offers three dishes per course. Never trust a restaurant with a huge menu.

Ash
04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Yeah, that's the one. Look, before the food nazis get on my case I did I didn't say whether the food was any good, just the view.

Burney
04-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Yeah, that's the one. Look, before the food nazis get on my case I did I didn't say whether the food was any good, just the view.

Did you try the porklamb?

Ash
04-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Did you try the porklamb?

:hehe: It was nearly fifteen years ago, forsooth!

They probably hadn't built in by then. Perhaps it was like the halal 'bacon' I had in a breakfast in Bayswater the other day. There were only two tiny pieces of it, perhaps so you couldn't tell it wasn't real.

PSRB
04-01-2019, 03:43 PM
:hehe: It was nearly fifteen years ago, forsooth!

They probably hadn't built in by then. Perhaps it was like the halal 'bacon' I had in a breakfast in Bayswater the other day. There were only two tiny pieces of it, perhaps you couldn't tell it wasn't real.

15 years since The Invincibles.......15 bloody years!! Where the hell has that gone???!!!

Burney
04-01-2019, 03:45 PM
15 years since The Invincibles.......15 bloody years!! Where the hell has that gone???!!!

If you think that's bad, it's 30 since Anfield. :thumbup:

PSRB
04-01-2019, 03:48 PM
If you think that's bad, it's 30 since Anfield. :thumbup:

Yeah, but that does seem like that long ago. I remember that afternoon of The Invincibles like it was yesterday, well, certainly more recent than 15 years

WES
04-01-2019, 04:12 PM

Here:

tabernamoderna.com/

Gin lovers paradise as well

WES
04-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Here:

tabernamoderna.com/

Gin lovers paradise as well

Oh and pastel de nata as well - and they aren't just custard tarts, they are sublime custard tarts. I found a place that added a little sea salt to the pastry, made them even better. I averaged about 3 a day minimum. :eat:

Oh and here:

Porto Wine Bar
Tábuas Porto Wine Tavern
Portugal, Rua dos Bacalhoeiros 143, 1100-253 Lisboa, Portugal

And here:

Baixamar - Mariscos e Petiscos

Burney
04-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Oh and pastel de nata as well - and they aren't just custard tarts, they are sublime custard tarts. I found a place that added a little sea salt to the pastry, made them even better. I averaged about 3 a day minimum. :eat:

Oh and here:

Porto Wine Bar
Tábuas Porto Wine Tavern
Portugal, Rua dos Bacalhoeiros 143, 1100-253 Lisboa, Portugal

And here:

Baixamar - Mariscos e Petiscos

Obrigado senhor.

WES
04-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Obrigado senhor.

Ronaldo's bar is just around the corner from there, as well. You can have your picture taken next to a life size, moving picture thingy of him and drink the bar's signature cocktail which is a sort of passion fruit martini.

I decided against recommending it to you. :-)