PDA

View Full Version : I suppose we've all seen the Robert Smith interview?

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Makes you proud to be British, it really does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houFuiYrEi0

Burney
04-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Yes. Although he does look like a lady who used to be a looker back in the day, but has spent the last 30 years propping up the bar of her local and cadging vodka and slimlines from her fellow regulars.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-01-2019, 10:10 AM

The Americans I work with envy us because we are allowed and indeed expected to be dry and underwhelmed. They have to adhere to this ghastly orthodoxy of always having to declare themselves "excited, super excited" and lately "thrilled".

Sir C
04-01-2019, 10:13 AM
The Americans I work with envy us because we are allowed and indeed expected to be dry and underwhelmed. They have to adhere to this ghastly orthodoxy of always having to declare themselves "excited, super excited" and lately "thrilled".

These are reputed to be the words of a US soldier. I very much hope they are:

"Those Brits are a strange old race, they show affection by abusing each other, will think nothing of casually stopping in the middle of a fire fight for their "brew up" and eat food that I wouldn't give to a dying dog! but fúck me, I would rather have one British squaddie on side than a entire battalion of spetznaz!!!... Why? Because the British are the only people in the world who when the chips are down and there seems like no hope left, instead of getting sentimental or hysterical, will strap on their pack, charge their rifle, light up a smoke and calmly and wryly grin "well are we going then you wánker??"

Burney
04-01-2019, 10:19 AM

When you have achieved the onerous task of successfully ordering a meal, the waiter (or 'server') will then reward you by pronouncing your achievement 'awesome'. This makes me want to machine gun people. :-|

AFC East
04-01-2019, 10:41 AM
When you have achieved the onerous task of successfully ordering a meal, the waiter (or 'server') will then reward you by pronouncing your achievement 'awesome'. This makes me want to machine gun people. :-|

Yep. Restaurants are a hotbed of very annoying behavior.

Ash
04-01-2019, 10:42 AM

Perhaps this is why they go around shooting each other so much.

I had to sit in on some calls with our East Coast web development company and every point we explained would be "awesome". :shout:

Burney
04-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Perhaps this is why they go around shooting each other so much.

I had to sit in on some calls with our East Coast web development company and every point we explained would be "awesome". :shout:

The thing is that it's just such an inappropriate word. 'Awesome' in its proper meaning isn't even necessarily a positive description of something. It connotes the inspiration of fear and trembling. Nobody should be fearful and trembling because I've ordered Eggs Benedict,

Sir C
04-01-2019, 10:53 AM
The thing is that it's just such an inappropriate word. 'Awesome' in its proper meaning isn't even necessarily a positive description of something. It connotes the inspiration of fear and trembling. Nobody should be fearful and trembling because I've ordered Eggs Benedict,

I dunno, if you'd encountered a split hollandaise covering overcooked eggs, as I once did, you'd tremble a little the next time you ordered them.

Burney
04-01-2019, 10:57 AM
I dunno, if you'd encountered a split hollandaise covering overcooked eggs, as I once did, you'd tremble a little the next time you ordered them.

So...scrambled egg on hard poached egg?

They hanged people at Nuremburg for less. :-(