PDA

View Full Version : I thought we'd survived the winter and now I'm back to getting up in the dark.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Don't like it. Preferred springtime.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-01-2019, 09:06 AM

I've had to get the blackout blinds out of the cupboard :-|

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:07 AM

Are you into permanent daylight now?

Burney

It'll only be for a couple of weeks, ffs!

I was potting on in the garden last night until well after 7 before the light faded. :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda

Gorgeous sunshine here - going to be 20 degress tomorrow. And snow is forecast for Friday :(

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:09 AM

I was potting on in the garden last night until well after 7 before the light faded. :cloud9:

wánking in the garden shed, you mean.

I spent all weekend re-commisioning the barbecue. Next Saturday it will get its final fettling and on Sunday I may be able to cook on it :cloud9:

Burney
04-01-2019, 09:12 AM
wánking in the garden shed, you mean.

I spent all weekend re-commisioning the barbecue. Next Saturday it will get its final fettling and on Sunday I may be able to cook on it :cloud9:

There isn't room to wánk in there.

What does a 'final fettling' involve?

Billy Goat Sverige
04-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Are you into permanent daylight now?

No, but it doesn't get dark until about 8:30pm so i have to put them up in the little'uns room. It's around June when it doesn't get dark.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:14 AM
There isn't room to wánk in there.

What does a 'final fettling' involve?

:yikes: How much room does it take, for all love?

A last hot burn to remove any traces of the cleaning solutions and glue. Have to get it up to 500 degrees and keep it there for a couple of hours.

Pokster
04-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Is this the last time we might have to change the clocks?? new law coming in or something like that??

More heart attacks the day after the clocks move than any other time of the year FACT

Pokster
04-01-2019, 09:15 AM

Pah, didn't get dark until nearly 8 up here now!

PSRB
04-01-2019, 09:15 AM

We have no curtains currently as getting shutters put in, picked a bloody daft time to redecorate the house

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Is this the last time we might have to change the clocks?? new law coming in or something like that??

More heart attacks the day after the clocks move than any other time of the year FACT

I think they've scrapped the idea of scrapping it. Or something. I'm not sure really. I wish they'd just leave the fúcking thing alone.

Pokster
04-01-2019, 09:18 AM
I think they've scrapped the idea of scrapping it. Or something. I'm not sure really. I wish they'd just leave the fúcking thing alone.

lighter evenings are always betterer imho

Burney
04-01-2019, 09:19 AM

It's all to do with farmers and schoolchildren in the north of Scotland, isn't it?

Pokster
04-01-2019, 09:36 AM
It's all to do with farmers and schoolchildren in the north of Scotland, isn't it?

As far as i'm aware that isn't true, was originally a German thing, we tried no change in the late 60's but then it was the Northern outreaches that complained about the dark mornings.

less road accidents with lighter evenings, more time for you to go ****ing in your shed

Burney
04-01-2019, 09:41 AM
As far as i'm aware that isn't true, was originally a German thing, we tried no change in the late 60's but then it was the Northern outreaches that complained about the dark mornings.

less road accidents with lighter evenings, more time for you to go ****ing in your shed

Oh, as someone who has to drive from Kent to Herts in the evenings, I'm delighted the clocks have gone back. A wet. dark night on an M25 crammed with lorries can be a bit too interesting for comfort at times.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Oh, as someone who has to drive from Kent to Herts in the evenings, I'm delighted the clocks have gone back. A wet. dark night on an M25 crammed with lorries can be a bit too interesting for comfort at times.

Forward. Spring forward, fall back.

Burney
04-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Forward. Spring forward, fall back.

You're right, of course.

Although I've never really liked that mnemonic, since it's perfectly possible to fall forward and spring back.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 09:52 AM
You're right, of course.

Although I've never really liked that mnemonic, since it's perfectly possible to fall forward and spring back.

Yes. I was also taught to remember the difference between stalagmites and stalagtites is that mites grow up and tights come down. But tights also go up. And who knows, if tights come down then mites might go down. It's all rather confusing.

Burney
04-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Yes. I was also taught to remember the difference between stalagmites and stalagtites is that mites grow up and tights come down. But tights also go up. And who knows, if tights come down then mites might go down. It's all rather confusing.

I'm not sure that didn't go a bit Gary Glitter. :-(

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-01-2019, 10:04 AM

I understood the scrapping of Daylight Savings was an EU edict. Should imagine that very shortly our take on it will be "Fúck the fúck off you square headed ****s and take your garlic munching bumboy mates with you - we'll do what the fúck we please with our fúcking clocks."

Ash
04-01-2019, 10:45 AM

BST was basically invented, or promoted, by a chap from Petts Wood. There's a memorial in the wood to him - a BST sun dial.

Sir C
04-01-2019, 10:48 AM
BST was basically invented, or promoted, by a chap from Petts Wood. There's a memorial in the wood to him - a BST sun dial.

Ah yes, I think I saw that a little while ago when I did a section of the London Loop that included Petts Wood.

Burney
04-01-2019, 10:48 AM

Really? I lived in Petts Wood for a year and saw that sundial many times. I'd no idea.

PSRB
04-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Really? I lived in Petts Wood for a year and saw that sundial many times. I'd no idea.

Had a friend from school whose early years were somewhat scarred by the Petts Wood Army (70's/80's skinheads)