PDA

View Full Version : So the leitmotif of most Brexopaths when explaining their loathing of the

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-20-2019, 12:26 PM
EU Commission is its failure of the most fundamental test of democratic legitimacy, that of having been voted for.

The same people will doubtless then be vehemently in favour of abolition of The House of Lords.

Ash, Charlie, Berni .. what say ye?

Ash
03-20-2019, 12:59 PM
EU Commission is its failure of the most fundamental test of democratic legitimacy, that of having been voted for.

The same people will doubtless then be vehemently in favour of abolition of The House of Lords.

Abso feckin lutely Herbs. The Lords are next.

Not sure the other fellas will agree on that though. :hehe:

Sir C
03-20-2019, 01:17 PM

1. I am no Brexopath. I am deeply ambivalent about the whole matter, although drawn towards the Brexit side by the antics of Soubry and her fellow authoritarian leftists.

2. Of all the things I object to about the EU, a lack of democracy isn't really one of them; since I don't believe in universal suffrage I'm not really qualified to comment on the matter.

3. Tony Blair and his socilialist fellow travellers already tore the heart out of the HoL, didn't they?

IUFG
03-20-2019, 01:32 PM

I'd happily have them all shot and the gold leaf flogged off to the highest bidder...

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-20-2019, 01:38 PM
I'd happily have them all shot and the gold leaf flogged off to the highest bidder...

And what about their Capo di Tutti Capo i, that revolting old parasite Elizabeth Regina

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-20-2019, 01:41 PM
1. I am no Brexopath. I am deeply ambivalent about the whole matter

I just looked up ambivalent it it definitely doesn't say anything about "blubbing long and loud like a feckin' whipped girl when something you want to happen doesn't happen".

Sir C
03-20-2019, 01:48 PM
I just looked up ambivalent it it definitely doesn't say anything about "blubbing long and loud like a feckin' whipped girl when something you want to happen doesn't happen".

:shrug: You're living in a fantasy world, h. A land where there are no smelly jobbies to be tugged free and where people have imaginary responses to suit your strange preconceptions.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-20-2019, 01:53 PM
:shrug: You're living in a fantasy world, h. A land where there are no smelly jobbies to be tugged free and where people have imaginary responses to suit your strange preconceptions.

Ah yes. Your default response when you are losing the argument. Make derogatory comments about the fact I earn a living engaged in honest toil. Why must you be so beastly c :cry:

Sir C
03-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Ah yes. Your default response when you are losing the argument. Make derogatory comments about the fact I earn a living engaged in honest toil. Why must you be so beastly c :cry:

You left the 'et' off the end of your toil, h. :hehe:

Burney
03-20-2019, 02:02 PM

'Doubtless' here meaning 'not', I assume? Because that bit of whataboutery simply doesn't work. The House of Lords is wholly unfit for purpose, being packed to the rafters by patronage appointees from the political mainstream.

Also, it may have escaped your attention, h, but there are few Brexiteers with a good word to say about the passionately Europhile House of Lords. :shrug:

Ash
03-20-2019, 02:10 PM
And what about their Capo di Tutti Capo i, that revolting old parasite Elizabeth Regina

She and the rest of the lizards should, as an act of mercy, be spared the fate of the Romanovs. Exile in Canada should do it, I think.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-20-2019, 02:20 PM
She and the rest of the lizards should, as an act of mercy, be spared the fate of the Romanovs. Exile in Canada should do it, I think.

No Ash. Every revolution demands, as its birthright, the violent death of the incumbent oppressors. Imagining the aristocracy's pitiful cries for mercy before being launched down the well helps the peasants endure their continued and unending penury.

Ash
03-20-2019, 02:23 PM
No Ash. Every revolution demands, as its birthright, the violent death of the incumbent oppressors. Imagining the aristocracy's pitiful cries for mercy before being launched down the well helps the peasants endure their continued and unending penury.

Well, that and the fact that the buggers keep popping up again demanding their throne back. Don't just ask Cromwell and Lenin, ask Queen Bess herself.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-20-2019, 02:34 PM
'Doubtless' here meaning 'not', I assume? Because that bit of whataboutery simply doesn't work. The House of Lords is wholly unfit for purpose, being packed to the rafters by patronage appointees from the political mainstream.

Also, it may have escaped your attention, h, but there are few Brexiteers with a good word to say about the passionately Europhile House of Lords. :shrug:

But despite being a bunch of appointees, it actually does a rather good job of tidying up rushed HoC legislation in the Cttee stage and also contains a far wider area of expertise than the average HoC.

Obviously no-one in their right mind wouldn't design a 2nd chamber like this, but to claim it's not fit for purpose is wrong. It hasn't delayed anything for decades but has made a huge number of positive ammendments to HoC legislation.

I doubt a neutral observer, looking at the last 3 months, would choose the HoL if the question was "Which house is the most dysfunctional?"

Burney
03-20-2019, 02:43 PM
But despite being a bunch of appointees, it actually does a rather good job of tidying up rushed HoC legislation in the Cttee stage and also contains a far wider area of expertise than the average HoC.

Obviously no-one in their right mind wouldn't design a 2nd chamber like this, but to claim it's not fit for purpose is wrong. It hasn't delayed anything for decades but has made a huge number of positive ammendments to HoC legislation.

I doubt a neutral observer, looking at the last 3 months, would choose the HoL if the question was "Which house is the most dysfunctional?"

The HofC is only ‘dysfunctional’ as it has to answer to an electorate. That messiness is a feature of democracy, not a bug.

By contrast, it’s quite easy to function smoothly and coherently when you have a sinecure for life and don’t have to worry about accountability.

03-20-2019, 02:54 PM
The HofC is only ‘dysfunctional’ as it has to answer to an electorate. That messiness is a feature of democracy, not a bug.

By contrast, it’s quite easy to function smoothly and coherently when you have a sinecure for life and don’t have to worry about accountability.

So the HoC rushing and whipping legislation at the Ctte and Report stages between the 2nd and 3rd reading is all down to the fact that they have voters to answer to.

While the Lords actually bothering to consider things in detail and point out the errors and inconsistencies in the legislation sent to them is down to them not having electors to answer to.

Ok. Right. Sure. That makes sense.

Burney
03-20-2019, 03:04 PM
So the HoC rushing and whipping legislation at the Ctte and Report stages between the 2nd and 3rd reading is all down to the fact that they have voters to answer to.

While the Lords actually bothering to consider things in detail and point out the errors and inconsistencies in the legislation sent to them is down to them not having electors to answer to.

Ok. Right. Sure. That makes sense.

Errr. Yes. What's hard to grasp about that? The panic derives directly from the democratic imperative placed on MPs and their need to balance the sometimes impossible demands of voters, party, necessity and conscience.
The calm consideration is what you see from the Lords is that of people who know they are not going to be held accountable for anything.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-20-2019, 04:14 PM
Well, that and the fact that the buggers keep popping up again demanding their throne back. Don't just ask Cromwell and Lenin, ask Queen Bess herself.

A bit like these folk....

redgunamo
03-20-2019, 04:20 PM
It just occurs to me; isn't that "Gordon Brittas"?

A bit like these folk....

03-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Errr. Yes. What's hard to grasp about that? The panic derives directly from the democratic imperative placed on MPs and their need to balance the sometimes impossible demands of voters, party, necessity and conscience.
The calm consideration is what you see from the Lords is that of people who know they are not going to be held accountable for anything.

You've never actually studied how our parliamentary democracy works, have you?

Had you argued that the HoC can play fast and loose in Ctte because they know the Lords will do the donkey work for them, then I'd have conceded you might have a point.*

But to suggest that the whipped Cttee members are rushing things because they are accountable to voters is pure drivel.

No-one can tell what Cttees their MPs are on and what they said and how they voted.

The public might, just might, pay attention to how their MPs voted at 2nd and 3rd reading.

But if you think the Cttee work is influenced by the MPs' voters you're wrong.

It's more to do with most MPs finding Cttee tedious and just wanting to do what their whips tell them. While the Lords will have experts in most fields who'll volunteer to do it.

*Though you wouldn't do that because it would back up my point about the HoL doing a useful job.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-20-2019, 05:26 PM
It just occurs to me; isn't that "Gordon Brittas"?

Yes....and the French revolutionary in Blackadder III and Rimmer in Red Dwarf

eastgermanautos
03-20-2019, 08:58 PM

Ooh, look at you fancy word, leitmotif. What's your Weltanschauung there Herbs.

:-D

I'm an idjit

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Ooh, look at you fancy word, leitmotif. What's your Weltanschauung there Herbs.

:-D

I'm an idjit

Leitmotif is my favourite ever word :-D 'east and my weltanschauung is that dumb Yanqi featherwits like you should do us all a favour and stick their heads in a mincer

eastgermanautos
03-21-2019, 06:28 AM
Leitmotif is my favourite ever word :-D 'east and my weltanschauung is that dumb Yanqi featherwits like you should do us all a favour and stick their heads in a mincer

I tried it. It improved my appearance. :-)