PDA

View Full Version : The wife's away for the next two days. I have cold, rare roast beef in the fridge,

Burney
03-18-2019, 10:22 AM
I have the makings of many delicious dishes, in fact.

I'm going to end up sharing a mixed special kebab with my cat, aren't I? :-(

Sir C
03-18-2019, 10:24 AM

You are, and you'll enjoy every morsel. Don't give the cat any chilli sauce lest he shíte everywhere.

I lunched on Friday from 11 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. A truly memorable feast of the daintiest morsels which went on and on and on... and at 7 I demanded, and was given, a large doner :hehe:

Monty92
03-18-2019, 10:26 AM
You are, and you'll enjoy every morsel. Don't give the cat any chilli sauce lest he shíte everywhere.

I lunched on Friday from 11 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. A truly memorable feast of the daintiest morsels which went on and on and on... and at 7 I demanded, and was given, a large doner :hehe:

Was this the new A.Wong or the original?

Burney
03-18-2019, 10:28 AM

The wrong Wong?

Monty92
03-18-2019, 10:29 AM
The wrong Wong?

The new one is total ****, so I'm assuming Charlie whiled away his afternoon up to his tits in wonderful gloop at the fabulous original.

Proof, also, that two Wongs don't make a Wight.

Burney
03-18-2019, 10:29 AM

My cat loves spicy food. He's difficult to keep away from a curry. If it has a deleterious effect on his bowels, we are at least spared the evidence.

He's mad for doner meat, though. This is problematic, since it's my favourite bit, too.

Sir C
03-18-2019, 10:41 AM

The original. 5 hours of the world's finest dim sum :cloud9:

IUFG
03-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Absolutely.

go on...

Pat Vegas
03-18-2019, 10:44 AM
I can't wait to have a real dinner :-(

microwave meals are the highlight of my day for the next week or so

Sir C
03-18-2019, 10:44 AM
The new one is total ****, so I'm assuming Charlie whiled away his afternoon up to his tits in wonderful gloop at the fabulous original.

Proof, also, that two Wongs don't make a Wight.

Is it? Is it really? How disappointing. I thought Andrew could do no wong.

Burney
03-18-2019, 10:45 AM
I can't wait to have a real dinner :-(

microwave meals are the highlight of my day for the next week or so

Has the wife left, f? :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Hopefully a 12.5% Service Charge was included in Sir C's slightly steep £640 bill
Did they throw in a bowl of plawn clackers ?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Burney "Has the wife left, f? "

Goodbye Pat, hello Fash
:-/

Burney
03-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Hopefully a 12.5% Service Charge was included in Sir C's slightly steep £640 bill

:nono: Fortune cookies containing random English words that make no sense.

Monty92
03-18-2019, 10:49 AM
The original. 5 hours of the world's finest dim sum :cloud9:

Oh man. You've convinced me I'll have to go back before I leave London forever :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
03-18-2019, 10:50 AM
"You have lucky nose which say 'Live long life' "
:shrug:

IUFG
03-18-2019, 10:51 AM

It'll have been those small carafes of wine at Dubai prices what done it

Pat Vegas
03-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Has the wife left, f? :-(

nah the having the kitchen done. :-(

Ash
03-18-2019, 01:29 PM
nah the having the kitchen done. :-(

How long? Is it a complete rebuild?

I may have to undertake such a project in due course, and am not looking forward to the disruption. :-|

WES
03-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Oh man. You've convinced me I'll have to go back before I leave London forever :-(

Does it not become an endless array of dumplings with chilli sauce or soya sauce?

I have had dim sum in the place it was allegedly invented and in several places highly rated by the locals (in HK) and was underwhelmed every time. It started out ok but once the dumplings started coming they seemed to never end. :-(

Pat Vegas
03-18-2019, 01:56 PM
How long? Is it a complete rebuild?

I may have to undertake such a project in due course, and am not looking forward to the disruption. :-|

Yeah was completely ripped out. will take 3 weeks. I am 2 weeks in,
I am sure it would be quicker but it's just one fella doing it. Its driving me mad as there is crap everywhere and I got sheets all over the floors, good thing is he doing things that make sense like add plug sockets where they are needed without me having to ask him.

One good side is the fridge is near the sofa.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-18-2019, 02:01 PM
And the wife is in the fridge?

Ash
03-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Yeah was completely ripped out. will take 3 weeks. I am 2 weeks in,
I am sure it would be quicker but it's just one fella doing it. Its driving me mad as there is crap everywhere and I got sheets all over the floors, good thing is he doing things that make sense like add plug sockets where they are needed without me having to ask him.

One good side is the fridge is near the sofa.

Will there be room for your wife?

Burney
03-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Does it not become an endless array of dumplings with chilli sauce or soya sauce?

I have had dim sum in the place it was allegedly invented and in several places highly rated by the locals (in HK) and was underwhelmed every time. It started out ok but once the dumplings started coming they seemed to never end. :-(

Loath as I am to agree with you in matters culinary, I must admit I am finding leeeedle beet the common ground with you here.

I find Dim Sum great at first and then it all starts getting a bit samey.

I mean I keep eating the little fùckers, don't get me wrong. A man's got to fill himself up. But they do start to get a wee bit indistinct.

And there was that time Ainsley Harriot fed me one from his chopsticks. That may have turned me against them. :-(

Sir C
03-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Loath as I am to agree with you in matters culinary, I must admit I am finding leeeedle beet the common ground with you here.

I mean I keep eating the little fùckers, don't get me wrong. A man's got to fill himself up. But they do start to get a wee bit indistinct.

And there was that time Ainsley Harriot fed me one from his chopsticks. That may have turned me against them. :-(

This isn't The Lotus Inn mate. None of this shít comes frozen from Iceland.

Burney
03-18-2019, 02:34 PM
This isn't The Lotus Inn mate. None of this shít comes frozen from Iceland.

:rolleyes: And there I was hoping for a sensible discussion of the matter.

And what is the Lotus Inn when it's at home?

WES
03-18-2019, 03:00 PM

The last time I had it in HK the first few dishes were very good. In particular there was a fried rice dish which came with a chilli sauce on the side, it was quite unlike any other chilli sauce I have ever had and with the rice was utterly exceptional.

And then the dumplings started to arrive and within 20 minutes or so it had all blurred into one big dumplingfest. Dumplings can only be so good. I don't get it. :shrug:

Sir C
03-18-2019, 03:04 PM
:rolleyes: And there I was hoping for a sensible discussion of the matter.

And what is the Lotus Inn when it's at home?

Started with a couple of pints at 11. Offered cocktails on arrival at the restaurant at 11:30. Had a sort of pina colada type thing. Definitely heavy on the rum. Decided that a good chewy Burgundy was the way forward. Did four bottles of the stuff. Left the restaurant at 4:30, found we both had 20 minutes to wait for our trains - just time for a cheeky pint.

Got my hangover at 11 pm :-(

I'm still supposed to be recovering from My Brave Battle With Cancer, ffs.

Burney
03-18-2019, 03:10 PM
The last time I had it in HK the first few dishes were very good. In particular there was a fried rice dish which came with a chilli sauce on the side, it was quite unlike any other chilli sauce I have ever had and with the rice was utterly exceptional.

And then the dumplings started to arrive and within 20 minutes or so it had all blurred into one big dumplingfest. Dumplings can only be so good. I don't get it. :shrug:

:nod: There's only so much you can put in them, after all.

End of the day, they're just ravioli with good PR.

Burney
03-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Started with a couple of pints at 11. Offered cocktails on arrival at the restaurant at 11:30. Had a sort of pina colada type thing. Definitely heavy on the rum. Decided that a good chewy Burgundy was the way forward. Did four bottles of the stuff. Left the restaurant at 4:30, found we both had 20 minutes to wait for our trains - just time for a cheeky pint.

Got my hangover at 11 pm :-(

I'm still supposed to be recovering from My Brave Battle With Cancer, ffs.

Was it one of those rum cocktails that comes in a cold brass thingy? I got proper messed up on those once.

By the way, you haven't got cancer, you malingering poof. You've just got growths. Like a leper or a man with genital warts.

Sir C
03-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Was it one of those rum cocktails that comes in a cold brass thingy? I got proper messed up on those once.

By the way, you haven't got cancer, you malingering poof. You've just got growths. Like a leper or a man with genital warts.

Look, he told me it's a tumour, as far as I'm concerned that the bad cancer and don't you date belittle My Brave Fight Against etc etc. I believe you may be 'denying my life experience', which will cause me to report you to Abi Wilkinson.

Burney
03-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Look, he told me it's a tumour, as far as I'm concerned that the bad cancer and don't you date belittle My Brave Fight Against etc etc. I believe you may be 'denying my life experience', which will cause me to report you to Abi Wilkinson.

Warts, mate. You've got warts.

The Insider
03-18-2019, 06:07 PM

I have to chip in here, DimSum is not just dumplings - even though the variety is sumptious, soup filled shanghai ones are a personal favorurite. I have to gorge on Chueng Fun, any kind of Bao, turnip cake, Char sui buns and glutinous rice by the leafful.

Just avoid fish maws and chicken feet......at all costs!