PDA

View Full Version : 6 pnints of Doom Bar and a packet of dry roasted nuts.

Sir C
03-13-2019, 02:29 PM
Now I feel I'm back in the saddle.

Burney
03-13-2019, 02:38 PM

Good lord! You went to a public house full of old man farts and drank the dishwater beer you disdain so much?

Did they accidentally drill into your frontal lobes?

Sir C
03-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Good lord! You went to a public house full of old man farts and drank the dishwater beer you disdain so much?

Did they accidentally drill into your frontal lobes?

It was rather nice, actually. Now I feel quite dreadfully sleepy, though.

Burney
03-13-2019, 02:55 PM
It was rather nice, actually. Now I feel quite dreadfully sleepy, though.

I fear you've not lined your stomach sufficiently. One pack of nuts won't do the job.

As Falstaff put it: "O, monstrous! but one half-pennyworth of bread to this intolerable deal of sack!"

Sir C
03-13-2019, 02:57 PM
I fear you've not lined your stomach sufficiently. One pack of nuts won't do the job.

As Falstaff put it: "O, monstrous! but one half-pennyworth of bread to this intolerable deal of sack!"

I'm going to make fried chicken. With the boiling oil and that.

Burney
03-13-2019, 02:59 PM
I'm going to make fried chicken. With the boiling oil and that.

Is that entirely wise given that you're clearly awash with ale? Could you not simply UberEats some KFC?

Sir C
03-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Is that entirely wise given that you're clearly awash with ale? Could you not simply UberEats some KFC?

The glw is returning after 48 hours away with work. Am I to greet her with some take-away shít? No, I shall be up to the elbows in nuclear grease, preparing proper, home-cooked junk food.

Burney
03-13-2019, 03:04 PM
The glw is returning after 48 hours away with work. Am I to greet her with some take-away shít? No, I shall be up to the elbows in nuclear grease, preparing proper, home-cooked junk food.

Well you've already decided to greet her pìssed and with ale breath, so I don't see that KFC can make things much worse. :shrug:

Also, she'd probably rather not come home to a husband who looks like he got trapped in a burning Hurricane. :-)

WES
03-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Doom Bar is an appalling pint - I would have hoped that with your newfound ability to taste that you might have realised that.

No hope for some, I suppose.

Ash
03-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Six pints? At lunchtime? Is the world about to end?

Lucky escape for Arsenal if it did.

SWv2
03-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Doom Bar is an appalling pint - I would have hoped that with your newfound ability to taste that you might have realised that.

No hope for some, I suppose.

St Austell Tribute.

Now there is a pint.

:nod:

Burney
03-13-2019, 03:30 PM
St Austell Tribute.

Now there is a pint.

:nod:

It is a decent pint. Doom Bar's OK. Bit on the thin side, but Sir C is a recuperating invalid.

My favourite ale at the moment is brewed specifically for my local.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/SHE/844/brewery-tap-ware

WES
03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
It is a decent pint. Doom Bar's OK. Bit on the thin side, but Sir C is a recuperating invalid.

My favourite ale at the moment is brewed specifically for my local.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/SHE/844/brewery-tap-ware

https://www.google.com/search?q=hogsback+tea&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB840&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFvvXBuf_gAhVVtHEKHbt6DMEQ_AUIDygC&biw=1224&bih=642#imgrc=jF0YVe7VgHL7rM:

Sir C
03-13-2019, 03:41 PM
Six pints? At lunchtime? Is the world about to end?

Lucky escape for Arsenal if it did.

I confess I'm regretting it now.

Burney
03-13-2019, 03:43 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=hogsback+tea&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB840&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFvvXBuf_gAhVVtHEKHbt6DMEQ_AUIDygC&biw=1224&bih=642#imgrc=jF0YVe7VgHL7rM:

Not a bad drop. Do you get Harvey's near you at all?

Burney
03-13-2019, 03:43 PM
I confess I'm regretting it now.

Your bowels will be in uproar shortly.

WES
03-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Not a bad drop. Do you get Harvey's near you at all?

Yes, that's in my local quite often. Also very pleasant. Sussex, isn't it?

Burney
03-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Yes, that's in my local quite often. Also very pleasant. Sussex, isn't it?

Yes. Lewes. Very nice beer indeed. Slightly floral, but none the worse for it.

IUFG
03-13-2019, 04:01 PM

and you reckon you cannot handle a bottle of heavy-hitting red during the week?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Aha!
That would account for Sir C's absence from this site this morning (and lunchtime)
I can't say I wasn't a tad concerned for his unnatural absence which did set the mind wandering as to whether any particular fate had befallen him

Burney
03-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Aha!
That would account for Sir C's absence from this site this morning (and lunchtime)
I can't say I wasn't a tad concerned for his unnatural absence which did set the mind wandering as to whether any particular fate had befallen him

Did you think the nose cancer had got him, s?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Nearly
I feared he'd been called away to be told by a chief medic "We have the results of your test Mr Sir Charlie....."
Fade to black

Viva Prat Vegas
03-13-2019, 04:20 PM
The title of this thread did little to allay my fear for the great man
The consumption of 6 pints of Doom Bar ...uh oh... He's flown into a panic - all leave of senses gone etc.

WES
03-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Yes. Lewes. Very nice beer indeed. Slightly floral, but none the worse for it.

My local is a small Young's pub so the real ale is limited. Three only. Either Young's Ordinary or Harvey's Best is almost always one of them with Doom Bar :puke: the other. Then there is the rotating guest ale which can be TEA, Shere Drop or a few others.

Fortunately the freehouse below is not far, proper boozer right there :nod:

www.jollyfarmer.co.uk/

Burney
03-13-2019, 04:28 PM
My local is a small Young's pub so the real ale is limited. Three only. Either Young's Ordinary or Harvey's Best is almost always one of them with Doom Bar :puke: the other. Then there is the rotating guest ale which can be TEA, Shere Drop or a few others.

Fortunately the freehouse below is not far, proper boozer right there :nod:

www.jollyfarmer.co.uk/

I'm pretty sure we used to meet at the Jolly Farmer before matches.

Young's Ordinary is a pint I'm very fond of as a session ale.

Burney
03-13-2019, 04:39 PM
The title of this thread did little to allay my fear for the great man
The consumption of 6 pints of Doom Bar ...uh oh... He's flown into a panic - all leave of senses gone etc.

Fear not, s. I reckon he's probably akip as we speak.

Ash
03-13-2019, 04:54 PM

We went to the Hogsback brewery for Frimley's 40th. Some years ago, of course.

The last two of those TEAs I've ordered have been sour. :-( One in the Worlds End pre-match, the other in the Mitre in Greenwich. Perhaps it doesn't like leaving Surrey.

And Doom Bar is fine. :nono: Stop being an insufferable snob.

Burney
03-13-2019, 04:57 PM

The last two of those TEAs I've ordered have been sour. :-( One in the Worlds End pre-match, the other in the Mitre in Greenwich. Perhaps it doesn't like leaving Surrey.

Ah, a. Look at this re: driverless cars. Turns out they're racist. :hehe:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2019/mar/13/driverless-cars-racist?CMP=twt_gu&__twitter_impression=true

Ash
03-13-2019, 05:27 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2019/mar/13/driverless-cars-racist?CMP=twt_gu&__twitter_impression=true

The *******s!

Do you have any sources for the thing about them generally running people over? I remember chatting in the pub with a few people about these contraptions about a year ago and I was the only one who was not enthused, having spent much of my life working with computers that have gone wrong. They cited human error by drivers, but humans make the bloody software too.

Burney
03-13-2019, 07:24 PM
The *******s!

Do you have any sources for the thing about them generally running people over? I remember chatting in the pub with a few people about these contraptions about a year ago and I was the only one who was not enthused, having spent much of my life working with computers that have gone wrong. They cited human error by drivers, but humans make the bloody software too.

Well there’s this:

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/design-engineering-features/technology/have-recent-tragic-events-pushed-a-driverless-future-further-away/174914/

barrybueno
03-13-2019, 07:39 PM

That whole article is fúcking hilarious :hehe:

barrybueno
03-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Well there’s this:

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/design-engineering-features/technology/have-recent-tragic-events-pushed-a-driverless-future-further-away/174914/

More hilarity, its such a terrible idea so I can only assume its driven (geddit?) by money like everything else. People will die but billions will be made so jobs a good'un

WES
03-13-2019, 10:18 PM

Nowt to do with being a snob, I just hate the taste :shrug:

There are two things I hate in real ale; excessive malt to the point of bitterness and when it is slightly watery, without depth. Doom Bar has both imo.