PDA

View Full Version : When Wembley Park was ... a park.

Ash
03-11-2019, 01:57 PM
https://d29k3dcgpah9r8.cloudfront.net/34dd324658f96e12c9666e293629cabd_500

Some nice ole pix here, including pre-deco Highbury and the Manor Ground:

https://londonist.com/london/history/london-s-lost-football-stadiums

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2019, 02:20 PM
https://d29k3dcgpah9r8.cloudfront.net/34dd324658f96e12c9666e293629cabd_500

Some nice ole pix here, including pre-deco Highbury and the Manor Ground:

https://londonist.com/london/history/london-s-lost-football-stadiums
Oo lovely. Was thinking of Highbury this morning - Barney Ronay said " Their former home, Highbury, had something spiky and nasty about it." Not in the latter years I would say

Sir C
03-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Oo lovely. Was thinking of Highbury this morning - Barney Ronay said " Their former home, Highbury, had something spiky and nasty about it." Not in the latter years I would say

It all went to pot when they built that abortion on the Clock End. There was a nastiness about the old Clock End and the animals who stood on it. Then they gave them a roof, and seats, and emasculated them. :-(

Burney
03-11-2019, 02:32 PM

It could feel very small and enclosed in a funny sort of way. On a good night it could feel like 40,000-odd people were crammed into a space designed for about half as many.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2019, 02:55 PM
It could feel very small and enclosed in a funny sort of way. On a good night it could feel like 40,000-odd people were crammed into a space designed for about half as many.

Back in the standing days I guess - I only started going when "trouble" was on the wane. I did lose a shoe on the North Bank once though

IUFG
03-11-2019, 02:57 PM
It all went to pot when they built that abortion on the Clock End. There was a nastiness about the old Clock End and the animals who stood on it. Then they gave them a roof, and seats, and emasculated them. :-(

All seater stadia :nono:

Took the heart out of the place.

Sir C
03-11-2019, 02:59 PM
All seater stadia :nono:

Took the heart out of the place.

Before they built those north/south fences across the Clock End, sometimes from the North Bank you'd watch the fighting moving from one side to the other, advance and retreat as the battle ebbed and flowed... good timez.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Before they built those north/south fences across the Clock End, sometimes from the North Bank you'd watch the fighting moving from one side to the other, advance and retreat as the battle ebbed and flowed... good timez.

Fairly wild on the terraces back then, when you think about it.

It was simply, normal, at the time.

At least when the fighting was pushed back out on the streets you could eat your pasty/pie with only half a worry it would be knocked out of your hand, when previously it would 100% happen.

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:06 PM

At least when the fighting was pushed back out on the streets you could eat your pasty/pie with only half a worry it would be knocked out of your hand, when previously it would 100% happen.

But of course society was much more violent in general. It's unimaginable now that you could get beaten up in the street for liking the wrong type of music. Or just walking into the environs of a skinhead. :hehe:

Today's nancyboy snowflakes wouldn't last 5 minutes on the streets of 1970s London.

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:08 PM

And preferable to watching what was happening on the actual pitch, I suppose.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:11 PM
But of course society was much more violent in general. It's unimaginable now that you could get beaten up in the street for liking the wrong type of music. Or just walking into the environs of a skinhead. :hehe:

Today's nancyboy snowflakes wouldn't last 5 minutes on the streets of 1970s London.

Indeed.

But somethings never change. At least The Met are still an unapproachable bunch of fúcking arséholes :consistent:

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Oh no, that stuff was fascinating. Jennings rolled the ball to Rice. It went square to O'Leary, then across to Young, who moved it over to NNelson. He passed infield to Young, who gave it to O'Leary, who passed it back to Jennings. Jennings picked it up, bounced it several times, then ****ed it up in the air. Stapleton nodded it on to... their centre half, who ****ed it back into our half, where it was retrived by O'Leary who passed it back to Jennings. He rolled it out to Rice... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Ash
03-11-2019, 03:12 PM

In the late 70s I had to stop day-dreaming and remind myself that I was watching a football match. O'Leary back to the keeper. Roll out. Rinse and repeat.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:13 PM

There was nothing wrong with a desolate nil-nil back in the day, b

It was standing in a river of piss that made it exciting...

Burney

I always liked the way at West Ham when it kicked off there'd be a huge cheer and all the coppers would come trooping out of that building in the south-west corner of the ground amid jeering, mockery and the singing of the Laurel & Hardy theme tune. Eventually, some scrote would be seen being dragged out of the ground in front of the south terrace while everyone sang 'LOYAL SUPPORTER!'

There was a certain amount of pantomime to it.

Burney

Yes, although I saw this the other day and thought there might be some hope for us.

https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/status/1103776962248671232

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Indeed.

But somethings never change. At least The Met are still an unapproachable bunch of fúcking arséholes :consistent:

I must have been about 12 when, lost in London, I approached a poiliceman, as briefed by my parents, and asked for directions. He pointed in the approximate direction of, 'away' whilst asking, "Do I look like an A to Z?" :hehe:

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Yes, although I saw this the other day and thought there might be some hope for us.

Yes, I saw that. It's rather good, isn't it? Perhaps we still are a warrior race at heart.

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Oh no, that stuff was fascinating. Jennings rolled the ball to Rice. It went square to O'Leary, then across to Young, who moved it over to NNelson. He passed infield to Young, who gave it to O'Leary, who passed it back to Jennings. Jennings picked it up, bounced it several times, then ****ed it up in the air. Stapleton nodded it on to... their centre half, who ****ed it back into our half, where it was retrived by O'Leary who passed it back to Jennings. He rolled it out to Rice... zzzzzzzzzzzz

That is my abiding memory of my early football matches. I still think people underestimate the extent tow which outlawing the backpass transformed the game. Even more so than three points for a win imo.

Ash
03-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Don Lett's fillum on Skinheads the other week was worth a look imo. Might still be on BBC4 iPlayer.

Chap who sits next to me used to be a skinhead. Now sells insurance to churches, mosques and synagogues.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Proper football, sir c

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Yes, I saw that. It's rather good, isn't it? Perhaps we still are a warrior race at heart.

Yes. Although some of the po-faced comments make me want to petrol bomb the authors' houses.

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Proper football, sir c

Every so often Liam would get visibly bored with this carry-on, puff out his cheeks and produce 30 seconds of magic... :cloud9:

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:18 PM
Don Lett's fillum on Skinheads the other week was worth a look imo. Might still be on BBC4 iPlayer.

Chap who sits next to me used to be a skinhead. Now sells insurance to churches, mosques and synagogues.

I'm not sure saying 'That's a nice church/mosque/synagogue you have there - shame if it burned down' counts as insurance, a.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Every so often Liam would get visibly bored with this carry-on, puff out his cheeks and produce 30 seconds of magic... :cloud9:

Indeed, I was too late for that but had Charlie for a short time - and then George replaced him with Perry ****ing Groves (although Rocky and Merse rather compensated)

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:20 PM
I still think people underestimate the extent tow which outlawing the backpass transformed the game.

Best rule change ever imo.

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:22 PM
In the late 70s I had to stop day-dreaming and remind myself that I was watching a football match. O'Leary back to the keeper. Roll out. Rinse and repeat.

Hold on, we at least had witty and varied songs to keep us amused.

IUFG
Now sells insurance to churches, mosques and synagogues.

Still whipping up a fear of violence and destruction, then?

Luis Anaconda

That and banning the tackle from behind. Although Bouldie took a long time to get over that. One of my favourite things from yesterday was just how much the big man was enjoying it. I even think he might have smiled

barrybueno
03-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Back in the standing days I guess - I only started going when "trouble" was on the wane. I did lose a shoe on the North Bank once though

Lobbed it at a black player no doubt la :sherlock:

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:24 PM
That and banning the tackle from behind.

Post reported to Willie Young

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Post reported to Willie Young

"We've got the biggest Willie
In our team!"

We were all the Archbishop of Banterbury back in those days.

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:28 PM

It was more than a rule change, it virtually made it a different game. It's almost impossible to watch a game from before 1990 these days. Even the two-nil at Anfield you watch it and think 'Fùck me, this is awful'. The violence of the tackling is the most entertaining thing about large stretches of the game.

Also, how did anyone concede goals if they didn't want to? If you were one up with ten minutes to go, you could literally just keep passing it between the defenders and the goalkeeper. The only thing to stop you was a sense of shame or embarrassment.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:34 PM
It was more than a rule change, it virtually made it a different game. It's almost impossible to watch a game from before 1990 these days. Even the two-nil at Anfield you watch it and think 'Fùck me, this is awful'. The violence of the tackling is the most entertaining thing about large stretches of the game.

Also, how did anyone concede goals if they didn't want to? If you were one up with ten minutes to go, you could literally just keep passing it between the defenders and the goalkeeper. The only thing to stop you was a sense of shame or embarrassment.

Well that was a huge key to Liverpool's dominance at the time - Hansen to Lawrenson to Grobbelaar to.... - they just shut down games once they'd scored.

Which, on Friday 26th May 1989, they didn't :cloud9:

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Well that was a huge key to Liverpool's dominance at the time - Hansen to Lawrenson to Grobbelaar to.... - they just shut down games once they'd scored.

And the 70/71 double team. Once we'd scored we were almost certain to win. 1-0 to The Arsenal indeed.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:36 PM
And the 70/71 double team. Once we'd scored we were almost certain to win. 1-0 to The Arsenal indeed.

a little before my time, sc

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Indeed. It was hardly required a tactical genius to work that one out, though, did it?

Sir C
03-11-2019, 03:39 PM
a little before my time, sc

Mine too. I'm quoting from the old boys on the North Bank.

I'm not that old, i.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Indeed. It was hardly required a tactical genius to work that one out, though, did it?

no, but they seemed to do it better than anyone else could.

fúck me, them being league champions every year was fúcking tedious...

Ash
03-11-2019, 03:44 PM

And that's why we hate Liverpool.

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:47 PM

:nod: It's my contention that children of the 80s hate Liverpool far more than they do any other team barring their local rivals.

Their 26-year title drought continues to be a great source of joy. We can only pray it continues this year.

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:49 PM

That and the way everyone kept telling us how wonderful they were; also their fans were utter, utter scum; Heysel; the Hillsborough mawk-fest; the Anfield Rap and a million other factors.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 03:49 PM

well, it's one of the reasons...

Burney
03-11-2019, 03:50 PM
well, it's one of the reasons...

To be honest, Liverpudlians are the main reason to hate Liverpool. Subhuman filth.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2019, 05:52 PM
:nod: It's my contention that children of the 80s hate Liverpool far more than they do any other team barring their local rivals.

Their 26-year title drought continues to be a great source of joy. We can only pray it continues this year.

Certainly my view, b. Unbelievable how. Any of the ****ers come out of the woodwork when they get to winning something. Germans I’d never see before rocked up on my local wearing brand new kits when they were last in a good position. Never enjoyed a Chelsea goal more

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 06:23 PM
LA "Back in the standing days I guess - I only started going when "trouble" was on the wane. I did lose a shoe on the North Bank once though"

I lost half my glasses on the last day
8-)

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 06:25 PM
LA "One of my favourite things from yesterday was just how much the big man was enjoying it. I even think he might have smiled"
:hehe:
He actually raised his arms in triumph
Didn't bother to stand up though

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
03-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Is that the game from Scum?