PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone understand the physics of why a ball swings like that?

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-11-2019, 10:14 AM
I thought I got how a football moved depdening on which part of the foot you hit it with.

But I don't get why a ball starts off being an inswinger, changes its mind mid-flightand ends up an outswinger.

And this is happening far more regularly nowadays.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2019, 10:15 AM
I thought I got how a football moved depdening on which part of the foot you hit it with.

But I don't get why a ball starts off being an inswinger, changes its mind mid-flightand ends up an outswinger.

Clearly picking the seam, gg

Burney
03-11-2019, 10:15 AM

At one point, Jamie Redknapp appeared to suggest it was due to a freak gust of wind. :hehe:

Burney
03-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Have we checked their pockets for sandpaper?

Ash
03-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Have we checked their pockets for sandpaper?

No, but I did see Unai handing out jelly babies to the wing backs.

Burney
03-11-2019, 10:22 AM
No, but I did see Unai handing out jelly babies to the wing backs.

I've just imagined him trying to say 'jelly babies' and it's made me chuckle. :hehe:

Oddly enough, I've always said that one of the things one could do to limit ball tampering in cricket is outlaw pockets on cricket flannels.

03-11-2019, 10:37 AM

I was genuinely thinking that it might be to do this these new balls having different seams or something.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Have you never played football?

When you hit the ball sweetly the ball doesn't have a high spin rate.
Spin on the ball give it a predictable ball flight.

When it doesn't spin (or has a low spin rate) the ball flight is erratic - I assume wind resistance plays a part.

SWv2
03-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Tyler: We will cross to Jamie now who has a bit of extra insight.

Jamie: Well this is how De Gea will have seen it. He has moved to his left and the ball has gone to his right.

How much does he get paid for that?

Burney
03-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Jamie: Well this is how De Gea will have seen it. He has moved to his left and the ball has gone to his right.

He seems a nice enough chap, Redknapp, but I'm pretty sure that nothing that you or I might describe as a thought has ever caused a ripple on the mill-pond surface of his consciousness.
Seriously, I've had household pets that seemed more capable of abstract thought.

Luis Anaconda
03-11-2019, 10:48 AM
I was genuinely thinking that it might be to do this these new balls having different seams or something.

Definitely something to do with the new balls

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Balls these days are veritable beach-balls in comparison to ones from the past
That's why you get so many 30-40 year rocket shots

A bit different to the cannonball from Ted Drake's day

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 10:52 AM
Burney "I've just imagined him trying to say 'jelly babies' and it's made me chuckle."

"helly beebeeth"

Sir C
03-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Burney "I've just imagined him trying to say 'jelly babies' and it's made me chuckle."

"helly beebeeth"

I haven't heard his voice for weeks now. I just got bored with failing to understand what he was saying. Has he got any better?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Well there's a more confident flow to his conversation but once I stumble to understand what he's saying I usually zone out
With effort, one can fit the pieces of his jigsaw puzzle speech correctly

Burney
03-11-2019, 10:57 AM
I haven't heard his voice for weeks now. I just got bored with failing to understand what he was saying. Has he got any better?

No. It's not just that he speaks terrible English, but that he speaks it far too quickly with no pauses between the words and the inflections are all over the shop.

He is still slightly more intelligible than Jamie Carragher, however.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Oh and he's definitely upped the hair grease quotient of late
Very likable Head Coach

Burney
03-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Well there's a more confident flow to his conversation but once I stumble to understand what he's saying I usually zone out
With effort, one can fit the pieces of his jigsaw puzzle speech correctly

To be fair, Trevor Brooking was the same. It was impossible to retain interest all the way to the end of a Trevor Brooking sentence.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Definitely something to do with the new balls

The new balls have a coating on them that is a bit 'grippy'.

Add that to more 'grippy' boots nowadays...there is a little longer connection time with foot on the ball. You can impart loads more spin than you used to on the old Mitre Multiplex or Adidas Tango (for example) balls.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Burney "To be fair, Trevor Brooking was the same. It was impossible to retain interest all the way to the end of a Trevor Brooking sentence."

"Yeah well you say....Romance of The Cup.....in fact, some Arsenal fans think I was trying to get out of the way....difficult game with Liverpool 15 points ahead and 12 wins on the trot....Coventry can't buy themselves a goal these days.....so I'm gonna go for a draw"

IUFG
03-11-2019, 11:03 AM

I recorded the match and watched the post game analysis.

Apart from Souness giving the other pundits withering looks, the other fun part was 'how De Gea would have seen it' and the view then changed to some sort of blurry letterbox.
And then went back to an angle above the goal.
No wonder De Gea misjudged it so badly.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Burney "To be fair, Trevor Brooking was the same. It was impossible to retain interest all the way to the end of a Trevor Brooking sentence."

"Yeah well you say....Romance of The Cup.....in fact, some Arsenal fans think I was trying to get out of the way....difficult game with Liverpool 15 points ahead and 12 wins on the trot....Coventry can't buy themselves a goal these days.....so I'm gonna go for a draw"

Brooking was/is same as Harry Bassett - never actually finished a sentence before starting the next.

Burney
03-11-2019, 11:09 AM

'Yeesss...well...he1! he!...I didn't get many with me 'ed...he he!'

FùCK OFF, TREVOR, YOU TEDIOUS OLD FùCK!

IUFG
03-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Have you never played football?

When you hit the ball sweetly the ball doesn't have a high spin rate.
Spin on the ball give it a predictable ball flight.

When it doesn't spin (or has a low spin rate) the ball flight is erratic - I assume wind resistance plays a part.

here you go...turbulence around the seams apparently...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5048238.stm

Sir C
03-11-2019, 11:13 AM
'Yeesss...well...he1! he!...I didn't get many with me 'ed...he he!'

FùCK OFF, TREVOR, YOU TEDIOUS OLD FùCK!

I thought Trevor was dead.

SWv2
03-11-2019, 11:15 AM

I think a little bit of him died the night they left Upton Park and a hundred black cabs descended on the ‘academy’.

Burney

No he's still somewhere being avuncular and non-threatening.

Viva Prat Vegas
I watched a YT clip last night where Kenny Sansom refereed to "...the late Jack Charlton"
:-\

Viva Prat Vegas
03-11-2019, 11:18 AM
SW2 "I think a little bit of him died the night they left Upton Park and a hundred black cabs descended on the ‘academy’."
Seeing Teddy Sh. emerge from one wearing a flat cap at a farewell event with Bianca Westwood screeching into the mic probably finished him off

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
03-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Time for some AAR real talk. It was a speculative nothing shot that was completely ****ed up by De Gea guessing before he knew where it was going. It wasn't even close to the corner, probably only about 2 yards away from the centre. With De Gea being a World class goalkeeper what we're seeing here is the equivalent of 'celebratory face' where a dog **** comedian of the John Bishop or James Corden variety in a room packed with hopeless plebs will get fits of laughter to every joke down entirely to their celebratory status.

It's the exact same thing we're seeing now with football illiterates blinded by De Gea's greatness. Make no mistake about it, it was dog **** goal keeping. If that Was Bruce Grobbelaar he'd have been lynched by the fans.

Sir C
03-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Time for some AAR real talk. It was a speculative nothing shot that was completely ****ed up by De Gea guessing before he knew where it was going. It wasn't even close to the corner, probably only about 2 yards away from the centre. With De Gea being a World class goalkeeper what we're seeing here is the equivalent of 'celebratory face' where a dog **** comedian of the John Bishop or James Corden variety in a room packed with hopeless plebs will get fits of laughter to every joke down entirely to their celebratory status.

It's the exact same thing we're seeing now with football illiterates blinded by De Gea's greatness. Make no mistake about it, it was dog **** goal keeping. If that Was Bruce Grobbelaar he'd have been lynched by the fans.

But Grobbelaar never faced a ball that moved in such a bizarre manner, aar.

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
03-11-2019, 11:34 AM
But Grobbelaar never faced a ball that moved in such a bizarre manner, aar.

Plebs are going on as if it was that free kick from Roberto Carlos in that friendly rather than a keeper ****ing up his feet.

Sir C
03-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Plebs are going on as if it was that free kick from Roberto Carlos in that friendly rather than a keeper ****ing up his feet.

But his bodyweight was committed to the left, aar. How could he shift his weight all the way to the right that quickly? :-(

03-11-2019, 12:13 PM
here you go...turbulence around the seams apparently...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5048238.stm

Thank you.

So as opposed to trying to curl it in, if you hoof it from distance you might as well give it a toe poke and hope the random swerve becomes a sort of wobble seam delivery with the ball moving erratically.

WD Granit Xhaka.

03-11-2019, 12:17 PM

No. We know it was crap keeping. If he'd just set himself, he could have waited as it wasn't far from where he started.

I was just trying to work out why a ball swerves like that, and IUFG posted a BBC article explaining that this is causes by the seams on this new balls designed to be hit with spin.

If you just hoof it straight, the seamscan make it move one way one second and another way the next.

barrybueno
03-11-2019, 01:26 PM

They've been purposely making footballs all light and unpredictable for years now, normally bringing a new more ****e one out before each WC. They remind me of the 99p ones you'd buy down the coast for a kick about before toe punting the **** in the sea before going home.

IUFG
03-11-2019, 01:29 PM
They've been purposely making footballs all light and unpredictable for years now, normally bringing a new more ****e one out before each WC. They remind me of the 99p ones you'd buy down the coast for a kick about before toe punting the **** in the sea before going home.

Balls have had to be between 14oz and 16oz (at the start of the match) for years, baz

barrybueno
03-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Balls have had to be between 14oz and 16oz (at the start of the match) for years, baz

Balls! Must be the material then, plus some devious gloss coating imo

Ash
03-11-2019, 01:43 PM

https://twitter.com/Lostfootballs

Tony C
03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
It’s Sorcery....black magic...voodoo...the dark arts.

Ramsey is going so whatever forces were at work have shifted to Xhaka and were making a statement.

From now on Every time Xhaka scores a plane will fall out of the sky.