PDA

View Full Version : Team being abused at the airport last night. You really have to ask

Sir C
03-08-2019, 09:45 AM
whether they actually saved any time by flying? It was only Rennes, wasn’t it? Quick blast down the M20, 30 minutes through the pipe and you’re on your way. No arsing around at airport security or suffer Sleazyjet.

Think on, kids. Te aeroplane isn’t always the answer.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-08-2019, 09:59 AM
whether they actually saved any time by flying? It was only Rennes, wasn’t it? Quick blast down the M20, 30 minutes through the pipe and you’re on your way. No arsing around at airport security or suffer Sleazyjet.

Still a good 4 hrs from Calais to Rennes, no?

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:00 AM

:nod: That way, Dennis could have played, too.

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:02 AM

About that. It certainly takes about three hours to get from Calais to Falaise - even if you péage it all the way.

Ash
03-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Ah, Ganps. Small threadjack: What's this about Hindu women being burned alive onto their dead husband's funeral pyre?

IUFG
03-08-2019, 10:12 AM

abused by about half a dozen retards...

some of our fans are utter ****s.

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Ah, Ganps. Small threadjack: What's this about Hindu women being burned alive onto their dead husband's funeral pyre?

Suttee? We put a stop to that. Bloody savages.

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:15 AM
abused by about half a dozen retards...

some of our fans are utter ****s.

:nod: I mean imagine giving a toss about the Europa League.

03-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Do you have a link?

It's an ancient custom called Sati (or suttee) that the Britishers banned.

Sati was the first wife of Shiva who burned herself to death cos her daddy didn't like Shiva. (But it's all right cos she reincarnated as Parvati and married him again.)

So for 2,000+ years, Hindu widows would throw themselves on their husband's funeral pyre, so they could both reincarnate together. (But not men on their wife's if she died first.)

So let me guess. Under the Hindu Nationalist Modi and the BJP, it's making a come back despite being banned by Queen Vic's Royal decree of 1861. Now why doesn't that suprise me? He really is turning that country into the Saffron Saudi Arabia.

Conversely, I've always said that if my beloved dies before me, I'll OD quickly (after sorting out what needs to be sorted out) so we can be cremated together.

Ash
03-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Suttee? We put a stop to that. Bloody savages.

Yes, one in the plus column for liberal imperialism there.

03-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Yes, one in the plus column for liberal imperialism there.

There's actually shed loads in the plus column of British Imperialism. Check out the annexation of Benin in 1897 when we spent blood and treasure to stop the king, who owned all his subjects as slaves, selling them to Arab traders or nailing them up in human sacrifical crucifixion.

In India, we also stopped Brahmins murdering untouchables if their shadow fell on them.

Calcutta Uni let in women a decade before Oxbridge.

But the slave trade, Jamaican plantation system, the 15m dead in the 1877-8 famine in India or even the Amritsar massacre just after they'd helped us win WW1 do let the side down a bit.

Ash
03-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Do you have a link?

It's an ancient custom called Sati (or suttee) that the Britishers banned.

Sati was the first wife of Shiva who burned herself to death cos her daddy didn't like Shiva. (But it's all right cos she reincarnated as Parvati and married him again.)

So for 2,000+ years, Hindu widows would throw themselves on their husband's funeral pyre, so they could both reincarnate together. (But not men on their wife's if she died first.)

So let me guess. Under the Hindu Nationalist Modi and the BJP, it's making a come back despite being banned by Queen Vic's Royal decree of 1861. Now why doesn't that suprise me? He really is turning that country into the Saffron Saudi Arabia.

Conversely, I've always said that if my beloved dies before me, I'll OD quickly (after sorting out what needs to be sorted out) so we can be cremated together.

I was just watching a prog about the East India Company and it was mentioned. So it was a voluntary thing?

SWv2
03-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Thank you A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiagU0fFCMU

Sir C
03-08-2019, 10:29 AM
There's actually shed loads in the plus column of British Imperialism. Check out the annexation of Benin in 1897 when we spent blood and treasure to stop the king, who owned all his subjects as slaves, selling them to Arab traders or nailing them up in human sacrifical crucifixion.

In India, we also stopped Brahmins murdering untouchables if their shadow fell on them.

But the slave trade, Jamaican plantation system, the 15m dead in the 1877-8 famine in India or even the Amritsar massacre just after they'd helped us win WW1 do let the side down a bit.

Suppression of the cult of Thuggee?

How was the Cafe Klein?

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:31 AM
I was just watching a prog about the East India Company and it was mentioned. So it was a voluntary thing?

Not really, no. It was about as 'voluntary' as female circumcision, the hijab and most other forms of male cultural oppression of females.

The poor women were generally drugged beforehand in order to avoid embarrassing struggling, screaming, etc.

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:32 AM

How was the Cafe Klein?

Yes. Although I think there are suspicions that chap might have made quite a lot of that up.

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:34 AM

To be fair, we did also end the slave trade voluntarily - and enforced that ban on other nations. No other power in human history can claim to have done anything even remotely comparable in terms of ending an evil that has bedevilled mankind as long as we've had civilisation. That's a pretty big tick in the plus column imo.

Oh, and then there's the willing sacrifice of our imperial power in order to defeat vastly worse powers in the first half of the 20th Century. That buys us a fair amount of credit, I'd say.

Sir C
03-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Yes. Although I think there are suspicions that chap might have made quite a lot of that up.

Nonsense. I read about it in a book. It must be true.

Sir C
03-08-2019, 10:40 AM
To be fair, we did also end the slave trade voluntarily - and enforced that ban on other nations. No other power in human history can claim to have done anything even remotely comparable in terms of ending an evil that has bedevilled mankind as long as we've had civilisation. That's a pretty big tick in the plus column imo.

We also, to our enormous credit, gave back our empire without engaging in a brutal war against the indigenous population first.

No other nation on earth would have given India away without a fight.

SWv2
03-08-2019, 10:43 AM
We also, to our enormous credit, gave back our empire without engaging in a brutal war against the indigenous population first.

** cough **

For some the war goes on.

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:44 AM

No. They did enthusiastically slaughter one another the minute we left, though. I've always felt it a bit rich that they blame us for that, tbh. Make your fùcking minds up imo.

redgunamo
03-08-2019, 10:48 AM
By the manager, I hope #wastemen :-(

Team being abused at the airport last night.

Sir C
03-08-2019, 10:52 AM
No. They did enthusiastically slaughter one another the minute we left, though. I've always felt it a bit rich that they blame us for that, tbh. Make your fùcking minds up imo.

Yes, and as I understand it Mountbatten was a-feared for exactly such an outcome if we disappeared quite so rapidly and pleaded for a delay, but alas and alack, thon Congress was determined to git r done ASAP.

All a bit self-inflicted, as you say.

Sir C
03-08-2019, 10:54 AM
** cough **

For some the war goes on.

The war's over, sw. British intelligence and the parachute regiment defeated your 'army' so severely, they had to come and surrender to Tony fúcking Blair! Imagine surrendering to Tony Blair :hehe:

Burney
03-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Yes, and as I understand it Mountbatten was a-feared for exactly such an outcome if we disappeared quite so rapidly and pleaded for a delay, but alas and alack, thon Congress was determined to git r done ASAP.

All a bit self-inflicted, as you say.

The Yanqui and the Labour Party share a lot of the blame, too. Both - albeit for very different reasons - wanted our empire dismantled ASAFP.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-08-2019, 11:31 AM
Sad news about the abusive six
Was one of them the manchild in baseball cap perchance?

SWv2
03-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Sad news about the abusive six
Was one of them the manchild in baseball cap perchance?

"Come and face us".

:hehe:

03-08-2019, 11:51 AM

How was the Cafe Klein?

Got there after 5-6 min walk as team coming out. Got matey to put game on. Got a pint. Could help myself jumping up and shouting "Get the **** in" when Iwobi scored, much to the amusement of natives.

Then there was astorm and the sattelite died after about 20 mins. Ordered another pint. They couldn't fix it, so I left. I should have known - this was a sign. Ganpati wasn't going to let me see us lose in the place you recommended. I should have rung up a mate and put a score on us losing from 1-0 there and then.

Cheap pints, though. Only €4. So well worth knowing as it's just across the road from our metro stop.

But speaking of thuggees. I've a book for you.

From Sepoy to Subedar.

https://www.amazon.com/Sepoy-Subedar-Adventures-Officer-Written/dp/0333456726

Sorry it's the US site - being in France it doesn't wany to give me the UK.

But it's the only source written by a native Indian soldier. He fought gainst the thuggees. In fact, you know all those Flashman stories set in India, well Sita Ram Pandey fought in all of them. Simple read. You'lllove it.

He stayed loyal during the mutiny. Fighting alongside Mjr Northgate. Saved his life. So when Pandey's son - a rebel was to be executed, SRP asked to be excused from the firing squad and (now Lt-Col) Northgate agreed.

The Britishers back in London went mad that Northgate had excused the loyal and heroic SRP from executing his own son. {And you wonder why I don't like Britishers.}

But anyway, Northgate suggested he wrote his memoirs. He'd gone from Sepoy (private) to Subedar {a company's top Viceory's Commissioned (native) officer} which entilted you be called Sahib by the white officers.

He didn't want to, but because Northgate had gone through all that shît in London on his behalf, he did.

It's the only Indian-written source we have about the Indian amy.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

As would B.

03-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Oh, and then there's the willing sacrifice of our imperial power in order to defeat vastly worse powers in the first half of the 20th Century. That buys us a fair amount of credit, I'd say.

Oh, I totally agree.

I can send you the top academic article on that, if you want. By David Eltis, who produced a CD-rom in the '90s featuring every single slave voyage as a database.

He said the UK in 1834-40 became the first society in human history to confer non-enslavable "insider" status on the whole of humanity.

It's a great article to be able to cite if you wanna wind up lefties.

In the two WWs we were acting in our national interests - the same two that have guided our FP since Liz I. Namely making sure at least some of the channel ports were in friendly hands and stopping one power dominating the continent.

The fact that we happened to lose our empire as a result doesn't mean this was a magnanamous gesture.

Sir C
03-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Got there after 5-6 min walk as team coming out. Got matey to put game on. Got a pint. Could help myself jumping up and shouting "Get the **** in" when Iwobi scored, much to the amusement of natives.

Then there was astorm and the sattelite died after about 20 mins. Ordered another pint. They couldn't fix it, so I left. I should have known - this was a sign. Ganpati wasn't going to let me see us lose in the place you recommended. I should have rung up a mate and put a score on us losing from 1-0 there and then.

Cheap pints, though. Only €4. So well worth knowing as it's just across the road from our metro stop.

But speaking of thuggees. I've a book for you.

From Sepoy to Subedar.

https://www.amazon.com/Sepoy-Subedar-Adventures-Officer-Written/dp/0333456726

Sorry it's the US site - being in France it doesn't wany to give me the UK.

But it's the only source written by a native Indian soldier. He fought gainst the thuggees. In fact, you know all those Flashman stories set in India, well Sita Ram Pandey fought in all of them. Simple read. You'lllove it.

He stayed loyal during the mutiny. Fighting alongside Mjr Northgate. Saved his life. So when Pandey's son - a rebel was to be executed, SRP asked to be excused from the firing squad and (now Lt-Col) Northgate agreed.

The Britishers back in London went mad that Northgate had excused the loyal and heroic SRP from executing his own son. {And you wonder why I don't like Britishers.}

But anyway, Northgate suggested he wrote his memoirs. He'd gone from Sepoy (private) to Subedar {a company's top Viceory's Commissioned (native) officer} which entilted you be called Sahib by the white officers.

He didn't want to, but because Northgate had gone through all that shît in London on his behalf, he did.

It's the only Indian-written source we have about the Indian amy.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

As would B.

ty g, I’ll definitely order that. Despite the spoilers.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Oh, I totally agree.

I can send you the top academic article on that, if you want. By David Eltis, who produced a CD-rom in the '90s featuring every single slave voyage as a database.

He said the UK in 1834-40 became the first society in human history to confer non-enslavable "insider" status on the whole of humanity.

It's a great article to be able to cite if you wanna wind up lefties.

In the two WWs we were acting in our national interests - the same two that have guided our FP since Liz I. Namely making sure at least some of the channel ports were in friendly hands and stopping one power dominating the continent.

The fact that we happened to lose our empire as a result doesn't mean this was a magnanamous gesture.

That rather depends on your concept of 'national interest'. I would argue that in both wars we could theoretically have come to an accommodation with our despotic foes that would have saved us an awful of of blood and treasure. However, our political system, sense of ourselves, public opinion, the nature of our enemies and various other honourable factors made that impossible and drove us to make war despite the cost. That is not a magnanimous gesture, but it is a function of our civilisation and one that served the world well.

03-08-2019, 12:24 PM
ty g, I’ll definitely order that. Despite the spoilers.

Oh, sorry, mate. Didn't think.

You will love it though. Do you remember the mil historian Richard Holmes? He wrote a book, Sepoy, about the British Ind army. He was the one who said in the intro that there's only this book as the only primary source written by a native soldier.

So he's warning readers that we have to hope SRP is representative of the average Indian soldier. But it's in such simple English, having been translated by Northgate that you'll read it in no time.

Enjoy.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Oh, sorry, mate. Didn't think.

You will love it though. Do you remember the mil historian Richard Holmes? He wrote a book, Sepoy, about the British Ind army. He was the one who said in the intro that there's only this book as the only primary source written by a native soldier.

So he's warning readers that we have to hope SRP is representative of the average Indian soldier. But it's in such simple English, having been translated by Northgate that you'll read it in no time.

Enjoy.

Are you suggesting that Sir C has difficulty reading? :hehe:

Sir C
03-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Are you suggesting that Sir C has difficulty reading? :hehe:

It’s a bit harsh, isn’t it? What evidence does he have for calling me educationally subnormal?

03-08-2019, 12:32 PM
That rather depends on your concept of 'national interest'. I would argue that in both wars we could theoretically have come to an accommodation with our despotic foes that would have saved us an awful of of blood and treasure. However, our political system, sense of ourselves, public opinion, the nature of our enemies and various other honourable factors made that impossible and drove us to make war despite the cost. That is not a magnanimous gesture, but it is a function of our civilisation and one that served the world well.

Disagree.

But before I go on, as I may have to go out in a sec, here's that Eltis slavery article:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk9nebd6np194gi/Eltis-Rise-Fall-of-Slavery.pdf?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bk9nebd6np194gi/Eltis-Rise-Fall-of-Slavery.pdf?dl=1

But in WW1, had we not fought one of two things would have happened.

1. (Unlikely) Fr and Rus win. But now we are friendless. Why shouldn't Rus attack Ind? Why should France keep guarding our sea route to Ind via the Med as they'd been doing since 1912?

2. (Likely) Germany wins. I take it you've read the September Programme of the victor's peace they intended to impose when they expected a qick victory in Sept '14? The whole of Europe in their customs union, UK excluded from the market, Belg annexed, NL effectively annexed, Fr channel and industrial area annexed.

So we'd have lost those two planks of FP - friendly channel ports and no power dominating the continent.

And in the Sept Prog, even though we're a belligerent, we're the only country not mentioned. Why? Because they intended to use the resources of the continent to build a massive navy, invade and steal our empire.

You're on stronger ground with WW2, but not fully. Gotta go now. But you are completely wrong about the consequences of us staying out in Aug '14. Totally, totally wrong.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:37 PM
It’s a bit harsh, isn’t it? What evidence does he have for calling me educationally subnormal?

Your lust for Karen Danczuk?

SWv2
03-08-2019, 12:39 PM

I recall this being quite the insult back at school.

One may whisper "ESN" under one's breath in class as a chum got an answer wrong and was perhaps just after receiving a clip around the ear or ruler edge across the knuckle.

Of course given that you suggest subnormal to be one word the joke was actually on us, the perps.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:41 PM
I recall this being quite the insult back at school.

One may whisper "ESN" under one's breath in class as a chum got an answer wrong and was perhaps just after receiving a clip around the ear or ruler edge across the knuckle.

Of course given that you suggest subnormal to be one word the joke was actually on us, the perps.

What of 'spaz', 'flid', 'mong', sw? Were these not current. We also had 'remmy' to suggest you belonged in remedial class.

SWv2
03-08-2019, 12:44 PM
What of 'spaz', 'flid', 'mong', sw? Were these not current. We also had 'remmy' to suggest you belonged in remedial class.

Yes I recall "flid" though the timeless classics, sadly lost in the modern world, were the simple references of Joey Deacon (shortened to Joey) and Gaylord neither of which had any comeback.

Sir C
03-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Yes I recall "flid" though the timeless classics, sadly lost in the modern world, were the simple references of Joey Deacon (shortened to Joey) and Gaylord neither of which had any comeback.

One mourns the loss of jewbag, accompanied by a hooked index finger being drawn down the nose, to describe someone mean.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:47 PM

How could I forget Joey? And gaylord was a good one. One of Dick Emery's characters was called Gaylord. :hehe:

I was wondering if Gay Byrne's full name was Gaylord Byrne, only to google him and discover it wasn't (short for Gabriel), but that his middle name is 'Mary'. :hehe:

His parents really didn't like him, did they?

I also discovered that 'Gaybo' is one of his nicknames. :hehe: :hehe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Byrne

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Didn't they just turn their backs on the abusers like they did when anyone threatened to shoot last night?

SWv2
03-08-2019, 12:48 PM
One mourns the loss of jewbag, accompanied by a hooked index finger being drawn down the nose, to describe someone mean.

Not many of that lot knocking around Newry in the 80s Dutch.

Would not have had the same bang for buck.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:49 PM

We always just made do with the word 'Jew', considering that was insult enough.

Although we would elongate it to 'Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew', obviously. Usually whenever someone was seen picking any coin of a denomination smaller than a 5p off the floor.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Didn't they just turn their backs on the abusers like they did when anyone threatened to shoot last night?

If the Michael Jackson documentary taught me anything, la, it's not to turn your back on an abuser. :-(

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2019, 12:52 PM
If the Michael Jackson documentary taught me anything, la, it's not to turn your back on an abuser. :-(

:hehe: Nice finish, b - so to speak

Sir C
03-08-2019, 12:53 PM

Bit spineless, wasn’t it?

I have seen his man-management being questioned by players he previously managed.

Are you getting concerned, at all?

SWv2
03-08-2019, 12:55 PM

I have seen his man-management being questioned by players he previously managed.

Don't be silly. I fully expect us to go through next week*

* thought the bástard 3rd goal does make this somewhat more of a challenge.

Burney
03-08-2019, 12:57 PM

What do you think the chap is up to, sw? Do you discern a clear plan?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-08-2019, 12:57 PM
It's the mint green kit that's the problem

Rich
03-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Better to go out and focus on 4th, no?

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2019, 01:07 PM

We were fine til the sending off - more worrying was that he was happy to go with HM at right back rather than make a change

IUFG
03-08-2019, 01:07 PM
It's the mint green kit that's the problem

https://ametia.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/hammer-and-nail.jpg

Sir C
03-08-2019, 01:09 PM
We were fine til the sending off - more worrying was that he was happy to go with HM at right back rather than make a change

A number of worrying decisions from the manager, would you say?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-08-2019, 01:36 PM

I'm far more concerned about his decisions regarding which hair products to use. The fellow clearly believes he is still a penurious spanish peasant and simply douses his barnet in cheap olive oil.

SWv2
03-08-2019, 02:02 PM
What do you think the chap is up to, sw? Do you discern a clear plan?

I think performances of late, collectively and by individuals including Snr Emery, have been extremely promising. Remember one kick of a ball away from what would have been a magnificent away win at Spurs, a result that would have had the man lauded a hero.

Last night was just one of those things, the double whammy of sending off and goal conceded in that very moment would rock any side. Factor in the comedy gold which is an own goal and what can you do.

It's a funny old game all the same. I notice how the many Ozil fan boys who chose to directly link recent performances to his presence on the pitch are oddly quiet on this front today.

Ozil out.

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2019, 02:09 PM

He was thoroughly slated for "weird decisions" in his selection for the Spurs game. Seemed he got that spot on. I'm not entirely sure he knows his strongest team but his horses for courses selections in the main have worked ok. I am not panicking

We will be stuffed on Sunday though