PDA

View Full Version : Airport Lounges

The Insider
03-07-2019, 12:53 PM
I have been in a few in my time, but currently in one at Milan Linate......and it's lovely.

None of your new age drink limitations, just help yourself to as much grappa and meatballs as you like.

Plus the most wonderful dessert pastry selection imaginable, if you are that way inclined.

Others that I love include HK, Chiangi, Zurich (surprisingly) and Doha.

Any other recommendations?

Ash
03-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Bloody hell, next up: a thread about favourite dentist waiting rooms. :-(

Sir C
03-07-2019, 01:16 PM
I have been in a few in my time, but currently in one at Milan Linate......and it's lovely.

None of your new age drink limitations, just help yourself to as much grappa and meatballs as you like.

Plus the most wonderful dessert pastry selection imaginable, if you are that way inclined.

The greatest of all airport lounges are to be found in Africa. The Kenya Airways lounge at Julius Nyere is a life changing experience :hehe:

In general, the national carrier’s lounge at their base airport is going to be pretty good. Tha8 Airways at Bangkok is great, Singapore Airlines at Changinis like a 5 star hotel. BA at Heathrow, not so much.

WES
03-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong is probably the best one I've been to. Air Emirates in Dubai I used to think was pretty special but I've been so many times now I've probably got used to it. Virgin in Heathrow 3 is the best in the UK, I think.

Worst? American Airlines in JFK used to be dire. A chit for two beers and after that you had to pay. Shocking.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-07-2019, 01:25 PM

I find as many pints as I want at the pub/bar in the airport followed by 50mils of vallium as soon as I board means I wake up smiling in Delhi for a lot less money.

But in the late '90s, I flew Aeroflot business and first a couple of times. Found I could get the first class ticket in Delhi for £550 while buying an Emirites ticket from London was £600, so I could justify it.

Neither Delhi nor Moscow lounges gave free drinks back then. But in 1st, you did get as much Veuve Clic as you could drink. Did 1 bottle on the Del-Mos leg and 3 bottles on Mos-Lon.

Bon voyage.

WES
03-07-2019, 01:26 PM

You are aware that the overwhelming majority of airline lounges have free drink, are you Ash? All you can drink, free drink.

That can never be bad imo.

Pat Vegas
03-07-2019, 01:30 PM

I used the Lufthansa one at Heathrow but I wasn't that impressed.

IUFG
03-07-2019, 01:39 PM

my dentist has ipads hanging about instead of magazines and picture frames with live webcams from around the world in the waiting room.

no wonder it is sooooooo fúcking expensive.

The NHS appears to have completely abandoned adult dentistry.

IUFG
03-07-2019, 01:41 PM
You are aware that the overwhelming majority of airline lounges have free drink, are you Ash? All you can drink, free drink.

That can never be bad imo.

yes but you don't want to be half cut when arriving at DXB, w

Luis Anaconda
03-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Ha - I am just writing about Linate. Can I quote you? ;)

Sir C
03-07-2019, 01:50 PM
my dentist has ipads hanging about instead of magazines and picture frames with live webcams from around the world in the waiting room.

no wonder it is sooooooo fúcking expensive.

The NHS appears to have completely abandoned adult dentistry.

Last year my dentist told me I needed a filling and that it would be £320. Now that I have abandoned excess in favour of saving for retirement, this distressed me, until a chap at work told me our local dentist does NHS work, no problem. So along I went and they registered me and agreed that I needed a filling. Did inwant a white one? Yes I want a white one, it’s 2019 ffs.

£290 :-(

The Insider
03-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Ha - I am just writing about Linate. Can I quote you? ;)

Absolutely, although I have just just used the facilities to make the flight lighter (check my enviro-credentials) so if it's a live blog, tell people to leave the toilets in the Leanardo Lounge for an hour or so.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Last year my dentist told me I needed a filling and that it would be £320. Now that I have abandoned excess in favour of saving for retirement, this distressed me, until a chap at work told me our local dentist does NHS work, no problem. So along I went and they registered me and agreed that I needed a filling. Did inwant a white one? Yes I want a white one, it’s 2019 ffs.

£290 :-(

So. If you needed two fillings, it would be cheaper to fly to India, get the work done there and have a short holiday?

Sir C
03-07-2019, 03:50 PM
So. If you needed two fillings, it would be cheaper to fly to India, get the work done there and have a short holiday?

Business class seat to Delhi. 3 nights at The Imperial. 4 grand, I reckon.

eastgermanautos
03-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Quick question: do you mean one of those lounges on the second floor in Hong Kong? Was looking wistfully up at them whilst amongst the hoi polloi trying to score a cheeseburger. I'm like, no! Next time do it a little different.