PDA

View Full Version : 6th at the start of March

Monty92
03-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Behind Man Utd and Chelsea despite them both having below-par seasons

9 points out of 27 in big games

Persistent early substitutions, proof that he doesn’t know his best line-up

Persistent in-game tactical tinkering, proof of indecisiveness and lack of confidence in his own methods

Failing to find a suitable role in the team for our marquee player

A week’s a long time in football, imo.

Pokster
03-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Behind Man Utd and Chelsea despite them both having below-par seasons

9 points out of 27 in big games

Persistent early substitutions, proof that he doesn’t know his best line-up

Persistent in-game tactical tinkering, proof of indecisiveness and lack of confidence in his own methods

Failing to find a suitable role in the team for our marquee player

A week’s a long time in football, imo.

Well, we were 4th at the start fo March and only 5th now, point s in BIG games is no worse than previous seasons and might actually be better

Early subs shows he adapts to the situation, not waiting to make 70th minute subs no matter what he sees in fornt of him

Again, he adapts to the situation and is flexible in his thinking

Hi marquee player misses too many games due to "sickness" to build a team round him

A week is a long time, even more so if you can't even get your facts right

Maravilloso Marvo
03-06-2019, 10:18 AM
12 points better off than after 29 games last season. That is a better YoY than Liverpool or indeed anybody else in the top 6.

redgunamo
03-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Right. Essentially comparing new ****e with old ****e.

I'd be interested in a comparison between this season so far and Wenger's average over the past few seasons, just for some context. And because I'm guessing that last term was one of AW's poorer ones and the juxtaposition seems unfair.

Well, we were 4th at the start fo March and only 5th now, point s in BIG games is no worse than previous seasons and might actually be better

Early subs shows he adapts to the situation, not waiting to make 70th minute subs no matter what he sees in fornt of him

Again, he adapts to the situation and is flexible in his thinking

Hi marquee player misses too many games due to "sickness" to build a team round him

A week is a long time, even more so if you can't even get your facts right

Monty92
03-06-2019, 10:36 AM

I'd be interested in a comparison between this season so far and Wenger's average over the past few seasons, just for some context. And because I'm guessing that last term was one of AW's poorer ones and the juxtaposition seems unfair.

A very good point. It was just over two years ago that people were talking about us as potential title challengers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38113792

Pokster
03-06-2019, 10:45 AM
A very good point. It was just over two years ago that people were talking about us as potential title challengers.

Or, if it suits your reasoning, in the 18 months since that game we went from 2nd to 5th and then 6th the following season, so a large drop off in only 18 months for a manager who ran the tema exactly how he wanted

Monty92
03-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Or, if it suits your reasoning, in the 18 months since that game we went from 2nd to 5th and then 6th the following season, so a large drop off in only 18 months for a manager who ran the tema exactly how he wanted

I don't dispute any of that. And ultimately Wenger did deserve to be sacked.

But redgunamo's point still stands. People talk about the last decade of Wenger's reign being one of decline, but it's worth noting there were various points during this period - often deep into the season - when people were entertaining the idea of us being title challengers. To me this suggests that people now have a slightly skewed perspective on how those years actually played out, in part because the last season was his worst.

Luis Anaconda
03-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Or in fact just over 5 months ago :shrug:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-title-challenge-is-on-as-unai-emerys-flattrack-bullies-fire-warning-at-liverpool-and-a3955916.html

Monty92
03-06-2019, 10:57 AM

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-title-challenge-is-on-as-unai-emerys-flattrack-bullies-fire-warning-at-liverpool-and-a3955916.html

Come now, his tongue is firmly in his cheek.

Unless of course you just read the headline :rolleyes:

WES
03-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Quite. Although what that really proves is that the phrase 'people were talking about us as' is utterly meaningless and would only be used by a WUM or an utter c*nt.

Monty92
03-06-2019, 11:06 AM
Quite. Although what that really proves is that the phrase 'people were talking about us as' is utterly meaningless and would only be used by a WUM or an utter c*nt.

I do slightly hate myself when I use that phrase :-(

Billy Goat Sverige
03-06-2019, 11:13 AM

In that same season you refer to we were 6th after 29 games with 54 points, 7 points away from 4th. This season at the same stage we're 1 point away from 4th on 57 points. I'm not sure what i'm getting at here but i think i'm trying to say you're a ****.

WES
03-06-2019, 11:13 AM
I do slightly hate myself when I use that phrase :-(

Sadly, I'm afraid that marks you out as the latter. Your words, not mine. :shrug:

Ash
03-06-2019, 11:49 AM

If Veng gets a multi-season average so should Emery, who should also be able to buy £50m-£60m players in consecutive windows.

Essentially, judge him in 2022.

redgunamo
03-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Absolutely. Agreed.

How's the job-hunt going, by the way? Any news? About a month ago, he did say he'd have a new club within a month. Real Madrid or somewhere like that, I suppose.

If Veng gets a multi-season average so should Emery, who should also be able to buy £50m-£60m players in consecutive windows.

Essentially, judge him in 2022.

redgunamo
03-06-2019, 12:24 PM
They used to say that literally no other manager in Europe was capable of doing the job :-\

Ash
03-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Absolutely. Agreed.

How's the job-hunt going, by the way? Any news? About a month ago, he did say he'd have a new club within a month. Real Madrid or somewhere like that, I suppose.

I think that, perhaps, when you are still being paid 8 million a year for a previous job, and there are tens of millions in the bank, you may lose a little bit the motivation, the desire, and the hunger to succeed.

The Fulham job will probably be available again soon. And Leicester.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-06-2019, 12:30 PM

The historian in me would question the partiality of a London paper bigging up a London team against the northerners, LA. Just sayin'.

Monty92
03-06-2019, 12:38 PM
They used to say that literally no other manager in Europe was capable of doing the job :-\

what? :shrug:

redgunamo
03-06-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure about that, not with his sort. They don't work for the money; otherwise they'd jack it all in directly after cashing the very first multi-million dollar paycheck.

No, they work for the challenge, the challenge of working. Also because working is simply what they do, how they define themselves. And you can find such people in any walk of life, regardless of whether they're earning umpteen millions of pounds per year or not.

I think that, perhaps, when you are still being paid 8 million a year for a previous job, and there are tens of millions in the bank, you may lose a little bit the motivation, the desire, and the hunger to succeed.

The Fulham job will probably be available again soon. And Leicester.

redgunamo
03-06-2019, 09:39 PM
what? :shrug:

ik,r? Incredible, isn't it. Thick ****s.