PDA

View Full Version : 'Monsieur Le President, eet eez not going so well! You 'ave ze rioting in ze streets

Burney
03-05-2019, 11:30 AM
and your approval ratings - like you - are leetle beet very short'

'Courage, mon brave! I 'ave written a bizarre and rambling piece for ze Guardian in which I cheerlead for ze EU while studiously ignoring every actual reason it eez struggling - all while sounding like a vainglorious, messianic fanatic who 'as completely lost 'is fùcking mind. Zat will sort zings out, n'est ce pas?'

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/europe-brexit-uk

IUFG
03-05-2019, 11:39 AM

'Courage, mon brave! I 'ave written a bizarre and rambling piece for ze Guardian in which I cheerlead for ze EU while studiously ignoring every actual reason it eez struggling - all while sounding like a vainglorious, messianic fanatic who 'as completely lost 'is fùcking mind. Zat will sort zings out, n'est ce pas?'

I read down to the first picture and gave up...

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
03-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Exactly. Must have been 100k of us on Saturday at the Paris GJ march.

You'd have loved it, B. When we got there very early to the top of the Champs, there were only 3 groups with lots of big flags. One were commies. Usual. Next lot were Gaulllists with the Cross of Lorraine in their tricolors. And the 3rd were royalists, including one huge, dreadlocked black guy with a massive, wooden sword.

All ended up marching together united by their hatred of Macron. For one of my Gandhian beliefs in the inherrent unity of our species, it was beautiful to see.

We haven't seen much of him here in France. He turns up in some town hall for the televised Grand Debat, dispenses his wisdom and then goes back into hiding.

Thus, it came as a bit of a shock to wake up this morning to realise he's written to 27 other nations, informing them that he's crowed himself Emperor Napoleon-Charlemagne III, and would they awfully mind letting him rule them.

The bare-faced cheek of the man.

Burney
03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Exactly. Must have been 100k of us on Saturday at the Paris GJ march.

You'd have loved it, B. When we got there very early to the top of the Champs, there were only 3 groups with lots of big flags. One were commies. Usual. Next lot were Gaulllists with the Cross of Lorraine in their tricolors. And the 3rd were royalists, including one huge, dreadlocked black guy with a massive, wooden sword.

All ended up marching together united by their hatred of Macron. For one of my Gandhian beliefs in the inherrent unity of our species, it was beautiful to see.

We haven't seen much of him here in France. He turns up in some town hall for the televised Grand Debat, dispenses his wisdom and then goes back into hiding.

Thus, it came as a bit of a shock to wake up this morning to realise he's written to 27 other nations, informing them that he's crowed himself Emperor Napoleon-Charlemagne III, and would they awfully mind letting him rule them.

The bare-faced cheek of the man.

Royalists? Fùck me, lads. 1848 was a while back. Let it go. That ship has sailed.

Disappointed by the lack of Bonapartists, tbh.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
all while sounding like a vainglorious, messianic fanatic who 'as completely lost 'is fùcking mind.

Top Wenger impression b

03-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Royalists? Fùck me, lads. 1848 was a while back. Let it go. That ship has sailed.

Disappointed by the lack of Bonapartists, tbh.

I'm planning to actually get my first Gilet Jaune for this Saturday. I'm gonna write 3RD EMPIRE NOW on the back.

I mean, all the France Insoumise lot want a 6th Republic. The commies want their 1st workers' dictatorship. The royalists want the 3rd Monarchy. So I'm gonna march for a 3rd Empire.

I'm afarid I have a bit of a soft-spot for both Boneys.

Louis-Napoleon introduced a lot of progressive social reform while allowing Haussman to built the world's most beautiful city.

And while the original one had many bad points, he was top boy on the battlefield front.

SWv2
03-05-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm planning to actually get my first Gilet Jaune for this Saturday. I'm gonna write 3RD EMPIRE NOW on the back.

I mean, all the France Insoumise lot want a 6th Republic. The commies want their 1st workers' dictatorship. The royalists want the 3rd Monarchy. So I'm gonna march for a 3rd Empire.

Louis-Napoleon introduced a lot of progressive social reform while allowing Haussman to built the world's most beautiful city.

And while the original one had many bad points, he was top boy on the battlefield front.

It is called a Hi-Vis mate and no person can ever look cool in one.

I am off to Paris next weekend and I dearly hope no rioting frogs get in the way of me enjoying a few beers and general relaxation.

Burney
03-05-2019, 02:54 PM

But who do the royalists want to install as monarch? I doubt even whoever's in line to the throne actually wants it, ffs!

A large part of Haussmann's design was an autocratic attempt to prevent barricading.

Also, it's not the world's most beautiful city imo.

Ash
03-05-2019, 03:39 PM
But who do the royalists want to install as monarch? I doubt even whoever's in line to the throne actually wants it, ffs!

A large part of Haussmann's design was an autocratic attempt to prevent barricading.

Macron would probably be up for it, claim or no. Born To Rule.

I'm glad London wasn't rebuilt on 'rational' lines. Kingsway is as far as they got with the grand boulevards.

Burney
03-05-2019, 03:42 PM

I'm glad London wasn't rebuilt on 'rational' lines. Kingsway is as far as they got with the grand boulevards.

I just find Paris all a bit samey. :shrug:

03-05-2019, 03:45 PM

1. As long as he's called Louis XIX, they'll be happy. (And in my experience, royalists in post-royal countries normally think they have some claim to the bloodline. So they probably all hope Louis XIX will be them. I hope they give it to the 6'4" black chap with dreads and a giant wooden broadsword. He'd make a better leader than Manu. Fact.)

2. You really must think I'm thick as pigshît. I've got a first in history and have lived here on and off since the early '90s, yet you don't think I know why my fave streets (outside India) were built? Dear God. The point is that firstly, It never kicked off between 1851 and the Fr-Pr War. Because L-N III was, by the standards of the day, a very benign, progressive ruler. So I don't see the wide boulevards as a way of making sure the cavalry could charge the mob, I see a beautiful, liberal culture, that peacefully entrenched the 1848 settlement. Though I admit to having a bit too much of a soft spot for the 2nd Empire by lefty standards.

3, Yes it is. I'm right and you're wrong and that's fact. (Lutyens New Delhi is beautiful in its own way, but it's only for the elite and govt. I'm in a council flat on the right bank looking out the window at the river and Ile St Louis. And there are only 3 proper cities on the planet - London, Paris and Delhi. Oh, and Benares. Are you going for Benares as the most beautiful? I'd be hard pushed to argue that given it's Ganpati's mum and dad's city. Hhhhmm. Well done, B, there's hope for your soul yet.)

03-05-2019, 03:47 PM
It is called a Hi-Vis mate and no person can ever look cool in one.

I am off to Paris next weekend and I dearly hope no rioting frogs get in the way of me enjoying a few beers and general relaxation.

Stay away from the Champs Elysée, Trocadero and the areas around there next Sat, then. But if you're in the real central bit around Chatelet and the Pompidou, you'll be fine. Do you know the Frog and Rosbif pub a little up from there?

03-05-2019, 03:48 PM

Why would Macron want to be king of France? He tried to proclaim himslef Emperor of Europe today. He's got his eye on being the next Charlemagne or Boney.

IUFG
03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
He tried to proclaim himslef Emperor of Europe today

Ze Germans will see to that, imo

SWv2
03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Stay away from the Champs Elysée, Trocadero and the areas around there next Sat, then. But if you're in the real central bit around Chatelet and the Pompidou, you'll be fine. Do you know the Frog and Rosbif pub a little up from there?

Don’t know any of it mate, only time in Paris before was 2006 and let’s gloss over that abomination of an event*.

Frog and Rosbif sounds a bit madey up to me?

*still blame Henry and Wenger

IUFG
03-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Don’t know any of it mate, only time in Paris before was 2006 and let’s gloss over that abomination of an event*.

* when clearly it was Almunia and Wenger to blame.

and Henrik Larsson

:cry:

Sir C
03-05-2019, 04:00 PM

You simply must lunch at Le Train Bleue at the Gare de Lyon.

For dinner I prescribe one informal, Cafe des Capucins, one middling, Bofinger, and one formal, L’Astrance.

Thank me later.

Ash
03-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Nope. I watched us win the 98 league title in there.

"Would you believe it! That - sums it all up!" #TA6

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:12 PM

For dinner I prescribe one informal, Cafe des Capucins, one middling, Bofinger, and one formal, L’Astrance.

Thank me later.

I fear sw will be wearing jeans, trainers and other garments made of by-products of the petroleum industry. :-(

Or do they allow that sort of thing these days?

Sir C
03-05-2019, 04:16 PM
I fear sw will be wearing jeans, trainers and other garments made of by-products of the petroleum industry. :-(

He’ll be alright everywhere except L’Astrance, and come to think of it he won’t get in there without having booked 6 months ago. Lots of French men dress like pikeys these days, they won’t notice him except for his bulbous red nose and blotched alike cheeks.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Nope. I watched us win the 98 league title in there.

"Would you believe it! That - sums it all up!" #TA6

I watched us beat Wimbledon 5-0 in a bar in Arras. 21 fùcking years ago, a. Where does the time go? :-(

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:17 PM
He’ll be alright everywhere except L’Astrance, and come to think of it he won’t get in there without having booked 6 months ago. Lots of French men dress like pikeys these days, they won’t notice him except for his bulbous red nose and blotched alike cheeks.

Will they understand the phrase 'a rake o' spuds'?

03-05-2019, 04:17 PM

I just wondered if you knew it, cos it's one where our fans often congregated. Just up from Chatelet. I was just saying, if you stick to that area, you'll be fine on Sat as we're not allowed to manif round that part.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:21 PM
I just wondered if you knew it, cos it's one where our fans often congregated. Just up from Chatelet. I was just saying, if you stick to that area, you'll be fine on Sat as we're not allowed to manif round that part.

What's the English pub just across from the Pantheon (a really fùck-ugly building, btw)?

03-05-2019, 04:22 PM

Thank me later.

I've just found this place over the bridge from us on Ile St Louis. Only place within a mile or more of Notre Dame in any direction that doesn't have a menu in English.

So far, in two visits, I've had a massive chunk of foie gras - all home made - and the foie gras and scallops as starters, and fillet steak foie gras, tournedos of magret fillets foie gras and a confit de canard as mains.

Gonna try the geziers salad and poached egg starter next week. Any when my mate used the bog, he glanced into the kitchen and the chef (who also brings out the food and takes the money. Just him, occassionally with the missus) was puffing away on a Gaulloise.

My kinda place.

Sir C
03-05-2019, 04:24 PM
I've just found this place over the bridge from us on Ile St Louis. Only place within a mile or more of Notre Dame in any direction that doesn't have a menu in English.

So far, in two visits, I've had a massive chunk of foie gras - all home made - and the foie gras and scallops as starters, and fillet steak foie gras, tournedos of magret fillets foie gras and a confit de canard as mains.

Gonna try the geziers salad and poached egg starter next week. Any when my mate used the bog, he glanced into the kitchen and the chef (who also brings out the food and takes the money. Just him, occassionally with the missus) was puffing away on a Gaulloise.

My kinda place.

Nice. You can keep the salade de gésiers, mind. One of those bad boys laid me low for a week once.

SWv2
03-05-2019, 04:24 PM

Thank me later.

Shove your poncey French nosebag up your bóllocks you Dutch nonce.

03-05-2019, 04:25 PM
What's the English pub just across from the Pantheon (a really fùck-ugly building, btw)?

I dunno. Is it still there?

We spent about 3+ hrs walking around the left bank a few weeks back and I don't remember seeing an English pub by the Pantheon.

I wasn't looking for one, but I'm sure I would have noticed and complained.

I found a Scottish pub in a little alley bit further W in the 6e by the river last week, as I another mate was waiting to get me shown round the oldest fencing salon in Paris.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:26 PM

My kinda place.

Salade de gesiers is where I have to draw the line, I'm afraid. Foul-tasting, gritty objects of little or no culinary value.

SWv2
03-05-2019, 04:26 PM

A city made famous by and forever associated with The Style Council deserves a bit of sartorial respect.

I will pick from my wide selection of Lacoste polo shirts in order to seamlessly move among the locals as if I were one. A nice silk Tootal scarf for the day and perhaps a bespoke Nicholson & Walcott for the evening.

Levis. Adidas, perhaps Clarks.

Sir C
03-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Shove your poncey French nosebag up your *******s you Dutch nonce.

Spuds, Guinness and a good leathering of the wife and kids as usual, is it? Enjoy.

Begorrah.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:29 PM
I dunno. Is it still there?

We spent about 3+ hrs walking around the left bank a few weeks back and I don't remember seeing an English pub by the Pantheon.

I wasn't looking for one, but I'm sure I would have noticed and complained.

I found a Scottish pub in a little alley bit further W in the 6e by the river last week, as I another mate was waiting to get me shown round the oldest fencing salon in Paris.

Found it.

http://www.bombardierpub.fr/

I found that Scottish place when I was last there, too. The Highlander, I think. I didn't go in there for fear it might contain actual scotchmen.

03-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Nice. You can keep the salade de gésiers, mind. One of those bad boys laid me low for a week once.

Did they, I shall let you know.

I'll pm you the address if you want. All the duck stuff's home made, the portions are far too big for the likes of me, and it's just €18.50 for 2 or €25 for 3 courses. (€5 more for the fillet steak Rosini). And of the 3 cheap wines by the carafe, get the Rhone. We asked him first time and he said that was by far the best and he's right. By 'carafes from boxes' standards, eminently quaffable, especially for €12 for 50cl, a stone's throw from Notre Dame.

But anyone who says sod the laws, I'm French and I shall smoke in my own kitchen if I wish, restaurant or not, has my respect.

Sir C
03-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Did they, I shall let you know.

I'll pm you the address if you want. All the duck stuff's home made, the portions are far too big for the likes of me, and it's just €18.50 for 2 or €25 for 3 courses. (€5 more for the fillet steak Rosini). And of the 3 cheap wines by the carafe, get the Rhone. We asked him first time and he said that was by far the best and he's right. By 'carafes from boxes' standards, eminently quaffable, especially for €12 for 50cl, a stone's throw from Notre Dame.

But anyone who says sod the laws, I'm French and I shall smoke in my own kitchen if I wish, restaurant or not, has my respect.

I’d like the address g, thank you.

03-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Found it.

http://www.bombardierpub.fr/

I found that Scottish place when I was last there, too. The Highlander, I think. I didn't go in there for fear it might contain actual scotchmen.

Believe it or not, I don't actually drink in English pubs when abroad. I go away to get away from Britishers.

I was just mentioning a pub I thought there was a chance SW might have heard of it - given there were shedloads of Gooners there last time I went there for a game - because I didn't want to sound pretentious by saying "Just stick to the 2e and 3e."

Dear God, that Bombadier pub looks vile inside. Where is it in relation to Panthéon?

Ash
03-05-2019, 04:38 PM
I watched us beat Wimbledon 5-0 in a bar in Arras. 21 fùcking years ago, a. Where does the time go? :-(

Did you slog up to Arras with rifle and pack?

03-05-2019, 04:39 PM
I’d like the address g, thank you.

I'll PM as I don't want to say it publicly now I've mentioned the crafty fags.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:46 PM
Believe it or not, I don't actually drink in English pubs when abroad. I go away to get away from Britishers.

I was just mentioning a pub I thought there was a chance SW might have heard of it - given there were shedloads of Gooners there last time I went there for a game - because I didn't want to sound pretentious by saying "Just stick to the 2e and 3e."

Dear God, that Bombadier pub looks vile inside. Where is it in relation to Panthéon?

Neither do I. I just like to take note of them and see the ways in which they get it wrong. The plethora of 'Irish' pubs that litter the globe are of course my favourite for this. I refer to them all as 'Crikey O'Reilly's'.
I think my favourite terrible Irish pub was in Berlin. The barman was (I think) Brazilian and spoke barely comprehensible German and not a word of English - and they didn't even serve Guinness. :hehe:

The pub's at the north-west corner of the Place du Pantheon.

SWv2
03-05-2019, 04:46 PM

We are staying in the 5th I think, Rue des Écoles.

Goes without saying that any practical advice would be warmly accepted.

I didn’t get to see much or indeed any of the city centre pubs on the day of the final due to a massive cock up (fraud perhaps) with tickets so your kind directions based on the Frog & Rosbif are of no use.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Did you slog up to Arras with rifle and pack?

No, but we did for Wimbledon with our plan of attack.

I did get a tour of the tunnels underneath the town, which was pretty cool.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:49 PM
We are staying in the 5th I think, Rue des Écoles.

Goes without saying that any practical advice would be warmly accepted.

I didn’t get to see much or indeed any of the city centre pubs on the day of the final due to a massive cock up (fraud perhaps) with tickets so your kind directions based on the Frog & Rosbif are of no use.

Well the Rue des Ecoles is just north of the pub I've just mentioned. You could go to the English pub and enjoy some true culture, sw.

SWv2
03-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Well the Rue des Ecoles is just north of the pub I've just mentioned. You could go to the English pub and enjoy some true culture, sw.

We are both urbane men of the world and I am sure you would admit that there is only so much culture any man can take on a given day.

The Mrs wants to go to see the Mona Lisa which I have pre-judged as being utter fúcking turd so a clatter of pints could be the ticket.

Then there is a rugby match on the Saturday and while I don’t strictly *like* rugby I can use it as an excuse for the pub.

Sir C
03-05-2019, 04:58 PM
We are both urbane men of the world and I am sure you would admit that there is only so much culture any man can take on a given day.

The Mrs wants to go to see the Mona Lisa which I have pre-judged as being utter fúcking turd so a clatter of pints could be the ticket.

Then there is a rugby match on the Saturday and while I don’t strictly *like* rugby I can use it as an excuse for the pub.

Avoid the Louvre at all costs. It’s full of chinamen taking selfies. You won’t get within 30 yards of the Mona Lisa.

Burney
03-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Advice: Book your tickets to the Louvre online now, get there early and you'll be out in time for the pubs to open. Also, there's a far superior Da Vinci painting of John The Baptist in the same part of the gallery that isn't surrounded by our oriental chums snapping pictures of it. Spend more time looking at that.

Burney
03-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Avoid the Louvre at all costs. It’s full of chinamen taking selfies. You won’t get within 30 yards of the Mona Lisa.

Great minds. There is some cracking stuff in there, but fighting your way around it all just grinds you down.

SWv2
03-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Oh I have little interest tbh but I am a good husband and will go along.

Naturally my main focus will on trying to locate this famous spot to recreate this iconic image of our time.

Burney
03-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Oh I have little interest tbh but I am a good husband and will go along.

Naturally my main focus will on trying to locate this famous spot to recreate this iconic image of our time.

Seriously, book online. Buying tickets there will take you an age.

SWv2
03-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Seriously, book online. Buying tickets there will take you an age.

Pretty sure she has done that as she expressed both amazement and joy that kids get in for free.

Cannot even put into words how bored they will be.

Burney
03-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Pretty sure she has done that as she expressed both amazement and joy that kids get in for free.

Cannot even put into words how bored they will be.

We took a 15 an 10 year-old there last year. They did alright.

You will be assailed by hordes of Africans trying to sell you Eiffel Tower keychains. Brace yourself and practise ignoring them.

03-05-2019, 05:53 PM

I'll PM you later so you have info to hand.

If you want cheap French grub - 3 courses for 10-15 quid, you're in just the right area. (Depending which end of Rue des Ecoles.)

I used to live in the 5e in '95. St Michel still has the best cheap grub in Paris.

And you have no worries of rioters. They don't let us go to the 5th and the 6th. Too many little streets. Too difficult to guard. So you won't see us on Saturday.

But I would say instead of the Louvre, why not go to the D'Orsay? Again, it's walking distance. On the left (south) bank in the 6th.

There you have half of the greatest ever Monets, some of the very finest Van Goghs, basically the whole of impressionism.

I'd deffo choose that but its personal. The Mona Lisa's ****. The Carravaggio's in the National in London are far better. Do the D'Orsay, go to a meal in St Michel - breaking up the walk back to the hotel - and then find a bar you fancy. Most around there will still be happy hour on a Sat night so you can get pints.

Put Rue de la Harpe into google maps. That's the cheap restaurants St Michel bits.

Any questions feel free to ask.

All the best.

03-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Great minds. There is some cracking stuff in there, but fighting your way around it all just grinds you down.

D'Orsay's much better. And fewer Tibet inavding, slitty eyed, untermenschen.

I wish I could remeber what "Free Tibet" is in Mandarin.

Go see the Van Goghs, Monets and the rest of the impressionists. You can walk around as you want. No queueing for hours so see one of Leo's worst works.

But then I like the Impressionists much more than the mid-Renaissance. Carravaggio, yes. But that's 100 years later.

barrybueno
03-05-2019, 06:31 PM
* when clearly it was Almunia and Wenger to blame.

and Henrik Larsson

:cry:

The ones to blame are the headless German and the ref.