PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 at end of feb

Monty92
02-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Ahead of Man Utd and Chelsea with only two more “big” fixtures to play

Notable improvement in big game results and performances.

Notable improvement in individual (Lacazette, Iwobi and bellerin in particular) and collective performances

Early substituons, as demanded by the anti-Wenger crowd

Regular in-game tactical changes, as demanded by the anti-Wenger crowd.

Not pandering to our star player/s, as many claimed Wenger too often did.

All this with just one transfer window to play with, the sh*tshow of ramsey’s contact over which he had no control, and having to cope with the legacy of a decade of decline (as claimed by the Wenger-out crowd).

Yep. I’m happy with that.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-25-2019, 09:30 AM

Notable improvement in individual (Lacazette, Iwobi and bellerin in particular) and collective performances

All this with just one transfer window to play with, the sh*tshow of ramsey’s contact over which he had no control, and having to cope with the legacy of a decade of decline (as claimed by the Wenger-out crowd).

meaningless AKB braying over the last decade?

Monty92
02-25-2019, 09:34 AM
No, because my position then and my position now are entirely compatible.

I’m more than happy to discuss whether this is in fact true, if you wish.

meaningless AKB braying over the last decade?

Burney
02-25-2019, 09:36 AM

Quite a jolly weekend, really. Tottenham lost, Liverpool dropped points (dangling the delicious prospect of them not winning the league), there was much hilarity with Chelsea's shenanigans and we ground out a tedious and uninspiring victory. Also, I believe this unseasonal weather will suit us, since our players are all glove-wearing homo types.

However, things will look very different next week after the foul hebrews have rammed their collective scabby, circumcised cock up our collective fundament until we haemorrhage internally. :thumbup:

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
02-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Quite a jolly weekend, really. Tottenham lost, Liverpool dropped points (dangling the delicious prospect of them not winning the league), there was much hilarity with Chelsea's shenanigans and we ground out a tedious and uninspiring victory. Also, I believe this unseasonal weather will suit us, since our players are all glove-wearing homo types.

However, things will look very different next week after the foul hebrews have rammed their collective scabby, circumcised cock up our collective fundament until we haemorrhage internally. :thumbup:
Not forgetting the hilarious man u injuries yesterday. We might scrape a draw with them.

WES
02-25-2019, 09:41 AM

I still have hopes that Unai will get the best out of Mesut but ultimately it is down to Ozil himself to decide he's going to play the way the manager wants him to.

If I was to list what I was happiest about at this point it would be that we seem to play with more intensity for longer than we used to. Even in the Liverpool loss we were pushing forward until the end of the match, the heads never seem to go down which I thought was a characteristic of the later Wenger teams. It wasn't just that we got pasted from time to time, it was that when we went behind early on it looked like we gave up and just accepted it.

No sign of that under Unai imo.

Pokster
02-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Well they seem to have done that for the last few years anyway.... or, Chelsea beat Spurs mid week, we beat Spurs on Saturday and end up 1 point behind them

Luis Anaconda
02-25-2019, 09:51 AM

I wouldn't call Sokratis that - or Lichsteiner, though you'd probably be able to run away from him

Monty92
02-25-2019, 09:55 AM
I still have hopes that Unai will get the best out of Mesut but ultimately it is down to Ozil himself to decide he's going to play the way the manager wants him to.

If I was to list what I was happiest about at this point it would be that we seem to play with more intensity for longer than we used to. Even in the Liverpool loss we were pushing forward until the end of the match, the heads never seem to go down which I thought was a characteristic of the later Wenger teams. It wasn't just that we got pasted from time to time, it was that when we went behind early on it looked like we gave up and just accepted it.

No sign of that under Unai imo.

You've got to give it to Unai. Regardless of Wenger's diminished standing, following in his footsteps must have been a daunting task. You might think he'd tread carefully and avoid doing anything that polarises the fans. So what does he do? He inherits a team with only one real marquee name and he c*nts him out the team with no hesitation.

You have to respect that.

Burney
02-25-2019, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't call Sokratis that - or Lichsteiner, though you'd probably be able to run away from him

Sokratis is greek, la. They invented gayness. FACT.

Lichsteiner is Swiss and presumably was born halfway up an Alp. He thus has a genetic advantage.

WES
02-25-2019, 10:51 AM
You've got to give it to Unai. Regardless of Wenger's diminished standing, following in his footsteps must have been a daunting task. You might think he'd tread carefully and avoid doing anything that polarises the fans. So what does he do? He inherits a team with only one real marquee name and he c*nts him out the team with no hesitation.

Quite :nod:

And Wenger's comments in the media about Ozil being in a comfort zone and having issues with his immune system suggest that Emery got this one right.

My only complaint at this point would be his plan for midfield. If he has one, it isn't apparent to me. He seems to have a collection of good players without any real plan as to how he wants them to play. But this one may fall into your 'supporters are pig ignorant and relative to professional football managers understand virtually nothing' category. I love Torreira and Gwenda and Xhaka looks a better player this year, however I'm still not sure I understand how he wants them to play together.

Ash
02-25-2019, 11:02 AM

Nor Kolasinac. Though the Saurez fellow looks like he wears two pairs of gloves.

Luis Anaconda
02-25-2019, 11:05 AM
Nor Kolasinac. Though the Saurez fellow looks like he wears two pairs of gloves.

:hehe: As if he actually exists

Ash
02-25-2019, 11:09 AM

And Wenger's comments in the media about Ozil being in a comfort zone and having issues with his immune system suggest that Emery got this one right.

My only complaint at this point would be his plan for midfield. If he has one, it isn't apparent to me. He seems to have a collection of good players without any real plan as to how he wants them to play. But this one may fall into your 'supporters are pig ignorant and relative to professional football managers understand virtually nothing' category. I love Torreira and Gwenda and Xhaka looks a better player this year, however I'm still not sure I understand how he wants them to play together.

Yesterday was one of the games where it looked (to my cretinous eyes at least) like we had a midfield. When he goes cautiously (probably because our defenders are pish) and plays the three plus two at the back we're sometimes a leetle bit short in the abilty to progress the play in the middle of the park, and rely too much on the wing backs. Which is obviously less easy without Hector. The Bosnian tank is looking quite good though. Even did some defending yesterday.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-25-2019, 11:17 AM
No, because my position then and my position now are entirely compatible.

I’m more than happy to discuss whether this is in fact true, if you wish.

I dunno m .. I couldn't rwally remember if you were a full on AKB or not .. I was just cheering up my Monday morning with a bit jew baiting.

Sir C
02-25-2019, 11:19 AM
I dunno m .. I couldn't rwally remember if you were a full on AKB or not .. I was just cheering up my Monday morning with a bit jew baiting.

Morning Jeremy.

Pat Vegas
02-25-2019, 11:22 AM
Yesterday was one of the games where it looked (to my cretinous eyes at least) like we had a midfield. When he goes cautiously (probably because our defenders are pish) and plays the three plus two at the back we're sometimes a leetle bit short in the abilty to progress the play in the middle of the park, and rely too much on the wing backs. Which is obviously less easy without Hector. The Bosnian tank is looking quite good though. Even did some defending yesterday.

I think Torreira and Xhaka are the best combo,
Guendouzi is rather good but we should stick with those 2 for now.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Morning Jeremy.

Come now c. There's a world of difference between a little harmless sidelock tugging and Corbyn's rabid anti-semitism. Apparently there's now footage of him at a NLD singing "It stinks of gas in here".

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-25-2019, 11:27 AM
But this one may fall into your 'supporters are pig ignorant and relative to professional football managers understand virtually nothing' category.

Or possibly the vacuous utterances of a moose bothering, syrup schlurping Canadian hog-wit category?

redgunamo
02-25-2019, 07:41 PM
No, it's t'other way about; it would have been a daunting prospect had Wenger been carried off shoulder-high in triumph parading the Henkelpott, say, rather than carried off shoulder-high practically burning in effigy.

If you have to go in somewhere and do a job, it's much better if there's actually a job there to be done. In fact, Wenger's own task in taking over the club, way back when, and winning the players and supporters over was a far more formidable challenge.

redgunamo
02-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Yes. If you're a manager though, I think you'd prefer it if your new club hadn't just committed itself to a hundred million pound player who may not be your cup of tea. You'd much rather spend that money yourself, on your own choice of player, or even players.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-25-2019, 10:41 PM

Oh, come on B.

I hate him as much as you do. But Laca scored a sexy flick, and when Ozil joined Rambo, Ozil's flick to Auba almost made a sexissima goal.

Flicks, see? Dat's wot Ize like.

Yes, we could have been 1-0 down not up. Yes, Xhaka giving the ball away could have made it 2-1 with 40 ins to play.

But we saw some flicks.

For the last 2 games, the snaggle-toothed vampire has realised that AFC play better with a no.10.

Ok, ideally I want two No.10s - like our 2006 CL team - 4-1-4-1 with Rambo and Ozil central but it's a start.

Still hate him and want him to eff off. But as my Latin teacher said the only time in 3 years I got a question right "We should be thankful for small mercies."

Luis Anaconda
02-26-2019, 09:39 AM
Oh, come on B.

I hate him as much as you do. But Laca scored a sexy flick, and when Ozil joined Rambo, Ozil's flick to Auba almost made a sexissima goal.

Yes, we could have been 1-0 down not up. Yes, Xhaka giving the ball away could have made it 2-1 with 40 ins to play.

But we saw some flicks.

For the last 2 games, the snaggle-toothed vampire has realised that AFC play better with a no.10.

Ok, ideally I want two No.10s - like our 2006 CL team - 4-1-4-1 with Rambo and Ozil central but it's a start.

Still hate him and want him to eff off. But as my Latin teacher said the only time in 3 years I got a question right "We should be thankful for small mercies."

I think you are confusing real football with Subbutteo - go watch that. You get lots of flicks :shrug:

SWv2
02-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Oh, come on B.

But we saw some flicks.

Hate him?

Really?

02-26-2019, 02:36 PM
I think you are confusing real football with Subbutteo - go watch that. You get lots of flicks :shrug:

Genuine question. Do you really not get a little buzz when Laca flicks in HM7's shot with his heel instead of the instep? When Rambo finished that Ozil chip kung fu stylee? When Ozil flicked it on for Giroud?

Are you honestly just as happy with, eg Bate, two headed set pieces and an OG?

Luis Anaconda
02-26-2019, 02:57 PM
Genuine question. Do you really not get a little buzz when Laca flicks in HM7's shot with his heel instead of the instep? When Rambo finished that Ozil chip kung fu stylee? When Ozil flicked it on for Giroud?

Are you honestly just as happy with, eg Bate, two headed set pieces and an OG?
Because of course there is nothing in between :rolleyes: And to say you hate a manager after half a season in which overall, he has done pretty well - ffs. Of course, I like a "flick" but I certainly don't like flash for the sake of it - which at least two of the players you mention can be accused of (although one has left). There is brilliance is simplicity. I don't think Bergkamp, for instance, ever "tried" to be flash, he simply did what he had to do to make the best of a situation. Of course having the touch of a deity helped

IUFG
02-26-2019, 05:26 PM
Of course having the touch of a deity helped

as Steve Lomas memorably found out...

02-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Because of course there is nothing in between :rolleyes: And to say you hate a manager after half a season in which overall, he has done pretty well - ffs. Of course, I like a "flick" but I certainly don't like flash for the sake of it - which at least two of the players you mention can be accused of (although one has left). There is brilliance is simplicity. I don't think Bergkamp, for instance, ever "tried" to be flash, he simply did what he had to do to make the best of a situation. Of course having the touch of a deity helped

Yeah, but Dennis slowed down time. (cf the ten touches before that pass for Freddie vs Juve.) That's a whole different galaxy of sexiness.

From boring to sexy:

1. Ogs and big deflections
2. Set pieces.
3. Decent finishes
4. Nice teams goals.
5. Sexy flicks
6 Eye of the needle passes (DB, Ozil etc)
(DB)10 Slowing down time.

Luis Anaconda
02-27-2019, 09:44 AM
Yeah, but Dennis slowed down time. (cf the ten touches before that pass for Freddie vs Juve.) That's a whole different galaxy of sexiness.

From boring to sexy:

1. Ogs and big deflections
2. Set pieces.
3. Decent finishes
4. Nice teams goals.
5. Sexy flicks
6 Eye of the needle passes (DB, Ozil etc)
(DB)10 Slowing down time.
Og when a player like PEA does well down the wing and a defender turns it in nicely deserve a category of their own but you've won me over since you you put 6 above five. wd GG :thumbup:

02-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Og when a player like PEA does well down the wing and a defender turns it in nicely deserve a category of their own but you've won me over since you you put 6 above five. wd GG :thumbup:

An og can come after some heroic passes or flicks, but I'd still rather it was our lad turning the ball in on purpose that some northern clogger mis-connecting. Simply because of the aesthetics.

But in all seriousness, DB10 did slow down time with that goal. Sitting in the NB watching it, I thought he had the ball at his feet for at least 30 seconds, as he dragged it this way and that with two, then 3 defenders around him before flicking it through for Freddie - a run he had noticed but the defenders hadn't despite all 4 have just started at the ball beneath DB's boot.

When I watched in on Youtube ten years later I was shocked to see it was all over in about 5 secs.

I swear to God (the proper one, not DB) that he literally slowed down time.