PDA

View Full Version : So, tripadvisorWIMB: Dallas

Burney
02-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Bit of a fùcking kip, frankly. Fúck all to see bar the JFK thing.
And it’s really quite...well...y’know...black.
Certainly in the downtown area, it’s almost all black and Mexican.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that, of course. Diversity is our strength and whatnot.
Rather a lot of the black chaps do seem to be of the older variety who stand on street corners wearing every item of clothing they own and shouting incomprehensibly at passers by. Which is nice.

Sir C
02-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Not that there’s anything wrong with that, of course. Diversity is our strength and whatnot.
Rather a lot of the black chaps do seem to be of the older variety who stand on street corners wearing every item of clothing they own and shouting incomprehensibly at passers by. Which is nice.

I like that it's 'salad' backwards. Kinda.

America is shíte.

Luis Anaconda
02-15-2019, 02:32 PM
What about Southfork?

Burney
02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
What about Southfork?

I was quite distressed that I didn't see a single Oil Baron, la.

Burney
02-15-2019, 02:50 PM
I like that it's 'salad' backwards. Kinda.

America is shíte.

You may have a point. I know it's a cliche, but the lack of anything old in a place does make it all feel a bit superficial and unreal. In that sense, it's a lot like being in Welwyn Garden City.

Sir C
02-15-2019, 02:53 PM
You may have a point. I know it's a cliche, but the lack of anything old in a place does make it all feel a bit superficial and unreal. In that sense, it's a lot like being in Welwyn Garden City.

Do you know that there are villages in England with more 200 year old buildings than the whole of the USA?*

*Something like that. Read it in a Bill Bryson book.

Pat Vegas
02-15-2019, 03:01 PM
I was quite distressed that I didn't see a single Oil Baron, la.

yeah **** it off and go to Denver see the Carrington's instead.

there is a horrendous Dynasty remake on netflix.
Sammy jo is a gay fella :-(

Burney
02-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Do you know that there are villages in England with more 200 year old buildings than the whole of the USA?*

*Something like that. Read it in a Bill Bryson book.

Yes. I'm pretty sure I read the same book.
Bless 'em, in Founders Plaza, they have a reconstruction of what the first buildings in Dallas would have looked like. The design dates back to - gasp - 1831.
I am currently sitting in a pub in Ware that is 800 years old. I could fire a shotgun down the high street here and not hit a single building built after 1831. It's a weird thing being somewhere that has no roots to it.

PSRB
02-18-2019, 09:21 AM

I'm a little surprised at that, in my head (and from watching NFL), I assumed it was all white

Burney
02-18-2019, 09:47 AM
I'm a little surprised at that, in my head (and from watching NFL), I assumed it was all white

It probably is in the burbs, but not in the downtown area.

Chief Arrowhead
02-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Yes. I'm pretty sure I read the same book.
Bless 'em, in Founders Plaza, they have a reconstruction of what the first buildings in Dallas would have looked like. The design dates back to - gasp - 1831.
I am currently sitting in a pub in Ware that is 800 years old. I could fire a shotgun down the high street here and not hit a single building built after 1831. It's a weird thing being somewhere that has no roots to it.

Nobody goes to Dallas for a holiday or for fun. It's all bidness. Also, no Texans live in Dallas.

AFC East
02-18-2019, 07:09 PM
Nobody goes to Dallas for a holiday or for fun. It's all bidness. Also, no Texans live in Dallas.

It has some decent art, particularly sculpture and a burgeoning food scene. Houston is better on all fronts and the smaller cities are better still. I assume this was a work trip, because you’d have to be a JFK obsessive to visit Dallas. Even then you’d be disappointed.

Did you see any morons run over on the JFK died here crosses?

Burney
02-18-2019, 07:10 PM

Did you see I went to Dealey Plaza and the museum? It’s convinced me there’s no way Oswald was the only shooter (if he was a shooter at all).

redgunamo
02-20-2019, 09:18 AM
You're from south London though; you probably see darkies everywhere, even in your sleep.

Sir C
02-20-2019, 09:21 AM
You're from south London though; you probably see darkies everywhere, even in your sleep.

I'm amazed at the absence of a meaningful Afro-Caribbean community in my corner of SE London / Kent. I can only assume that People Of Colour are too discerning to live amongst gyppos.

redgunamo
02-20-2019, 06:20 PM
You never said you were a gyppo?

Fairplay though; nobody likes having alot of Africans around.

I'm amazed at the absence of a meaningful Afro-Caribbean community in my corner of SE London / Kent. I can only assume that People Of Colour are too discerning to live amongst gyppos.

Sir C
02-20-2019, 06:34 PM
You never said you were a gyppo?

Fairplay though; nobody likes having alot of Africans around.

I’m not a gyppo. I’m a Dutch/Irish mongrel, certainly, but I’m no gyppo.