PDA

View Full Version : I've only just realised how MASSIVELY overrated that Banks save from Pele was

Monty92
02-12-2019, 11:16 AM
If you watch it, the ball bounces up from the ground and arrives on the goal line at a very comfortable height for him to claw it away.

It only caught the attention because on first glance it looked like he miraculously scooped it up from the ground and over the bar, but he could just as well have palmed it to the side which would have been equally effective but not as eye-catching.

It would actually have been a massive clanger had he let it in.

Pokster
02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
If you watch it, the ball bounces up from the ground and arrives on the goal line at a very comfortable height for him to claw it away.

It only caught the attention because on first glance it looked like he miraculously scooped it up from the ground and over the bar, but he could just as well have palmed it to the side which would have been equally effective but not as eye-catching.

I've only just realised what a massive cock you are... oh hold on, no I haven't...

You do talk ****e

Monty92
02-12-2019, 11:22 AM
I've only just realised what a massive cock you are... oh hold on, no I haven't...

You do talk ****e

You seem nice

Sir C
02-12-2019, 11:28 AM

I think he said himself that the bounce put the ball at a reachable height.

PSRB
02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
I think he said himself that the bounce put the ball at a reachable height.

The Seaman one from Peschisolido was better

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-12-2019, 12:40 PM

and scooped the ball out.

IUFG
02-12-2019, 12:49 PM
and scooped the ball out.

this won beats both imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFTzpS1zKDI

Burney
02-12-2019, 03:27 PM

Surely the remarkable thing about it is the way he was able to scoop it up and away and rather than just parry it?

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Was that the one he scooped once it had actually gone past him in the cup semi?

That was my fave I can remember.

PSRB
02-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Was that the one he scooped once it had actually gone past him in the cup semi?

That was my fave I can remember.

That's the one, also like it even more since I realised that it's my brother-in-law who misses the follow up :-)

02-12-2019, 06:40 PM
That's the one, also like it even more since I realised that it's my brother-in-law who misses the follow up :-)

Are you serious?

I'll shall have to look. I don't even remember the follow up, I think my mind was still trying to compute how a ball that had pased the keeper hadn't gone into the net.

02-12-2019, 06:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTBkWRs7r-c

So who is this brother in law no.11 who lashes it high and wide.

I don't mean any ill towards the national hero who died today but I do think Spunky's save is better. Though he only saved from a Moose-fücker. Banks saved from Pele.

But dear God, we were so lucky to have Spunky for all that time, weren't we?

We also had a manager who could spot a decent German keeper when we needed to replace an all time legend. :cough:

bbrian
02-12-2019, 07:53 PM

I don't mean any ill towards the national hero who died today but I do think Spunky's save is better. Though he only saved from a Moose-fücker. Banks saved from Pele.

We also had a manager who could spot a decent German keeper when we needed to replace an all time legend. :cough:

Almunia , Fabianski...cough cough

Burney
02-12-2019, 08:13 PM

Phil Jagielka. PSRB is married to his sister (Phil Jagielka’s - not his own).

02-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Phil Jagielka. PSRB is married to his sister (Phil Jagielka’s - not his own).

Thank you.

Didn't he become famous? {Sorry, not very good on footballers unless they played for us.}

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2019, 08:37 AM
Surely the remarkable thing about it is the way he was able to scoop it up and away and rather than just parry it?

:nod: amd the footwork to get across his line to be in position to save it at the "comfortable height". Probably all a bit to subtle for Monty

Monty92
02-13-2019, 09:37 AM
:nod: amd the footwork to get across his line to be in position to save it at the "comfortable height". Probably all a bit to subtle for Monty

Are you intimating that I should perhaps consider seeking a new leisure time pursuit? :-(

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Are you intimating that I should perhaps consider seeking a new leisure time pursuit? :-(

Would I ever do that m? Did you see Arsene last night on the telly :love:

Sir C
02-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Would I ever do that m? Did you see Arsene last night on the telly :love:

Arsene was on the telly? What did he say, la? :-(

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2019, 10:24 AM

See for yourself https://twitter.com/johncrossmirror/status/1095602366659866624

Sorry for the John Cross link - it was the first I could find

Monty92
02-13-2019, 10:25 AM

"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll, leeeeetle beeeet pheeeeeyseeecallly short"

Probably.

God, I miss him :-(

PSRB
02-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Thank you.

Didn't he become famous? {Sorry, not very good on footballers unless they played for us.}

Everton captain, although pretty much not playing and will probably retire at end of season

Monty92
02-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Everton captain, although pretty much not playing and will probably retire at end of season

What excuse will he have to ignore your needy, starry-eyed text messages about playing golf once he's retired? :-/

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Top name dropping there p .. almost puts Monty to shame who has "met" people by dint of being momentarily within a 100 yards of them.

And top ignoring of it by AWIMB there too until Berni broke rank

Monty92
02-13-2019, 10:41 AM
Top name dropping there p .. almost puts Monty to shame who has "met" people by dint of being momentarily within a 100 yards of them.

And top ignoring of it by AWIMB there too until Berni broke rank

I'm within 100 yards of Mesut Ozil whenever we're both at home :shrug: This is because we both live on the same leafy Hampstead avenue - one of multiple reasons why my life is fundamentally better than yours.

PSRB
02-13-2019, 10:47 AM
What excuse will he have to ignore your needy, starry-eyed text messages about playing golf once he's retired? :-/

Meh, 2 kids, fat chance I have of f'ing off for 6 hours to play golf

Monty92
02-13-2019, 10:51 AM

Why not just tell the missus she can **** off for 6 hours and do her own thing, say, once a month on a weekend?

Pokster
02-13-2019, 10:55 AM

If you took less shots it wouldn't take as long

Monty92
02-13-2019, 10:58 AM

"Fewer"

God, I hate myself :-(

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2019, 10:59 AM

:arsene:

You know you will anger Sir C with that post

Pokster
02-13-2019, 11:11 AM
:arsene:

You know you will anger Sir C with that post

:nod: Of course, silly old goat that he is

SWv2
02-13-2019, 11:15 AM
"Fewer"

God, I hate myself :-(

I always struggle with this, probably linked to me not being English.

So, why is "less" wrong?

PSRB
02-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Why not just tell the missus she can **** off for 6 hours and do her own thing, say, once a month on a weekend?

and have them both, for 6 hours.....on my own???!!!

PSRB
02-13-2019, 11:17 AM

Catch 22, if I played more often, I'd take fewer shots :shrug:

Pokster
02-13-2019, 11:18 AM

So, why is "less" wrong?

He's protecting his handicap

Monty92
02-13-2019, 11:36 AM

:hehe:

Welcome to my world :-|

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2019, 11:40 AM

One word “au pair”

Monty92
02-13-2019, 12:01 PM

So, why is "less" wrong?

It's a bit like why f*cking children is wrong. If you have to ask, you're beyond hope.

PSRB
02-13-2019, 12:23 PM
One word “au pair”

:hehe: Yeah, cause that'd be allowed to happen

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-13-2019, 12:31 PM

You'll be fine as long as the au pair is dog's cock ugly - or least more dog's cock ugly than your missus.

IUFG
02-13-2019, 01:16 PM

So, why is "less" wrong?

rule of thumb: if you can count 'em, it's fewer, sw.
HTH

IUFG
02-13-2019, 01:19 PM

we had au pairs when the kids were younger.

plus side: all your childcare and child feeding needs sorted for c. £100 a week. :thumbup:

downside: some fúcker is living in your house with you. It is amazing how quickly each one starts to irritate you in their own unique way.

plenty of male au pair options, surprisingly.

avoid Spaniards. The ones we had did nothing to dispel the stereotypes...

SWv2
02-13-2019, 02:18 PM
rule of thumb: if you can count 'em, it's fewer, sw.
HTH

I can count golf strokes.

:vsign:

Less.

Luis Anaconda
02-13-2019, 02:43 PM
I can count golf strokes.

:vsign:

Less.

How about beers? One, two, three, a few, many?

SWv2
02-13-2019, 02:46 PM
How about beers? One, two, three, a few, many?

"I should have drank less last night"

IUFG's so called rule of thumb is a fúcking shíte rule of thumb.

Sir C
02-13-2019, 03:03 PM
"I should have drank less last night"

IUFG's so called rule of thumb is a fúcking shíte rule of thumb.

i's rule is a good one, sw. "I should have drunk less ale last night" is correct, as is, "I should have drunk fewer pints of ale last night."

You can count pints, but you can't count ale.

Burney
02-13-2019, 03:08 PM
i's rule is a good one, sw. "I should have drunk less ale last night" is correct, as is, "I should have drunk fewer pints of ale last night."

I took part in armadillo racing last night.

I’m not proud of it.

SWv2
02-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Of course you can count ale.

6 pints.

Burney
02-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Of course you can count ale.

6 pints.

Less sand
Fewer grains of sand

It’s really not difficult, sw

Ash
02-13-2019, 03:14 PM
I'm within 100 yards of Mesut Ozil whenever we're both at home :shrug: This is because we both live on the same leafy Hampstead avenue - one of multiple reasons why my life is fundamentally better than yours.

Long yards you're using there, my friend. :driving:

He lives in a small mansion at one end, three doors down from the heath. You live half a mile away at the other end, in a crumbling block of flats on the dual carriageway A1 in East Finchley.

:thumbup:

Monty92
02-13-2019, 03:29 PM
You sound like my estate agent :-(

Long yards you're using there, my friend. :driving:

He lives in a small mansion at one end, three doors down from the heath. You live half a mile away at the other end, in a crumbling block of flats on the dual carriageway A1 in East Finchley.

:thumbup:

Ash
02-13-2019, 04:16 PM
You sound like my estate agent :-(

Yes, I thought you were supposed be happily lodged in Margate by now and banging your landlady, in a JMW Turner stylee.

Ash
02-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Less sand
Fewer grains of sand

It’s really not difficult, sw

:nod:

Less pedantry.

Fewer pedantic posts, and so on.

Monty92
02-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Yes, I thought you were supposed be happily lodged in Margate by now and banging your landlady, in a JMW Turner stylee.

Yes, but thanks to Brexit-voting swivel eyed xylophones like you, the housing market has stalled, and despite our illustrious neighbours, no c*nt wants to buy our flat.

So I hope your petty little protest vote was worth it :rolleyes:

Ash
02-14-2019, 09:40 AM
Yes, but thanks to Brexit-voting swivel eyed xylophones like you, the housing market has stalled, and despite our illustrious neighbours, no c*nt wants to buy our flat.

So I hope your petty little protest vote was worth it :rolleyes:

Of course a downwards adjustment is long overdue. If everybody just recognised the reality and put the feckin prices down then things would get moving again.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Of course a downwards adjustment is long overdue. If everybody just recognised the reality and put the feckin prices down then things would get moving again.

delusion about property value that has the likes of Monty feeling puzzled that no-one is willing to pay a fortune for his squalid basement flat in Willesden.

Ash
02-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Another one of Thatcher's great achievements. To engender a massive collective delusion about property value that has the likes of Monty feeling puzzled that no-one is willing to pay a fortune for his squalid basement flat in Willesden.

It is constantly trumpeted that ever rising property prices are a good thing, generally by the property-portfolio-owning classes who dominate the news agenda. Why unnafordable housing should be such a grand idea is lost on such people. Frankly I could do with a little bit of a crash if I am to afford something with a bit more space.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-14-2019, 11:50 AM
It is constantly trumpeted that ever rising property prices are a good thing, generally by the property-portfolio-owning classes who dominate the news agenda. Why unnafordable housing should be such a grand idea is lost on such people. Frankly I could do with a little bit of a crash if I am to afford something with a bit more space.

And imagine if either side of the political spectrum made good on the oft repeated mantra of building a million affordable houses, the bottom two rungs at least of the property ladder would be decimated and Monty will be stuck in his bedsit forever.

Luis Anaconda
02-14-2019, 11:54 AM

I completely agree - as long as it does's effect Highgate Village and its surrounds :)