PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, Sri Lanka is the most suicidey country on earth. I wonder why?

Burney
02-07-2019, 11:43 AM
I mean the Koreans are a close second, which is fair enough. And Poles and Russians, obvs. But Sri Lanka I don't really get.
We're not even in the top ten.

Sri Lanka: 35.3
South Korea: 32
Poland: 22.3
Russia: 20.1
Japan: 19.7
India: 17.9
France: 16.9
Thailand: 16
United States: 14.3
Argentina: 14.2
Germany: 13.4
Canada: 12.3

Sir C
02-07-2019, 11:45 AM
I mean the Koreans are a close second, which is fair enough. And Poles and Russians, obvs. But Sri Lanka I don't really get.
We're not even in the top ten.

Sri Lanka: 35.3
South Korea: 32
Poland: 22.3
Russia: 20.1
Japan: 19.7
India: 17.9
France: 16.9
Thailand: 16
United States: 14.3
Argentina: 14.2
Germany: 13.4
Canada: 12.3

That's totes bizarre. Sri Lanka's nice. And there's a rapidly burgeoning middle class.

Burney
02-07-2019, 11:47 AM
That's totes bizarre. Sri Lanka's nice. And there's a rapidly burgeoning middle class.

I know. I mean their cricket team isn't what it was, but suicide would seem a bit of an extreme reaction.

Could it be post-war-related?

Sir C
02-07-2019, 11:47 AM
I know. I mean their cricket team isn't what it was, but suicide would seem a bit of an extreme reaction.

Could it be post-war-related?

Ah, it's cobblers apparently.

It’s a widely-held belief that Sri Lanka has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world: the World Health Organization (WHO) actually ranks Sri Lanka’s suicide rate as the highest.

But researchers who study suicide say there’s a big catch: the data is wrong.

“It’s disregarding that there’s actually been a drop in Sri Lanka’s suicide rates and that’s a problem,” said Dr. Dee Knipe, a professor at the University of Bristol, speaking in Colombo last week.

To standardize and compare data from around the world, the WHO uses mortality data and puts it into a model. But Sri Lanka last submitted data to the WHO in 2006. The organization’s current numbers are projections based on that past submission.

More local data tells a different story. Numbers compiled annually by the Sri Lanka Police’s Division of Statistics show that the suicide rate has actually fallen by 70 percent since the mid-1990s.

That would put Sri Lanka’s suicide rate closer to the 22nd highest in the world, rather than the first.

IUFG
02-07-2019, 11:51 AM

It’s a widely-held belief that Sri Lanka has one of the highest rates of suicide in the world: the World Health Organization (WHO) actually ranks Sri Lanka’s suicide rate as the highest.

“It’s disregarding that there’s actually been a drop in Sri Lanka’s suicide rates and that’s a problem,” said Dr. Dee Knipe, a professor at the University of Bristol, speaking in Colombo last week.

To standardize and compare data from around the world, the WHO uses mortality data and puts it into a model. But Sri Lanka last submitted data to the WHO in 2006. The organization’s current numbers are projections based on that past submission.

More local data tells a different story. Numbers compiled annually by the Sri Lanka Police’s Division of Statistics show that the suicide rate has actually fallen by 70 percent since the mid-1990s.

That would put Sri Lanka’s suicide rate closer to the 22nd highest in the world, rather than the first.

hmmm.

The prospect of having only their locally brewed lager available would make you consider it, tbf

Burney
02-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Hmmm. Their cricket team was actually pretty good in the mid-90s. :sherlock:

Thailand seems remarkably high. They seem so happy and smiley.

Sir C
02-07-2019, 11:53 AM
hmmm.

The prospect of having only their locally brewed lager available would make you consider it, tbf

Yes, obtaining booze outside of hotels can be a bit of a faff, but I have a couple of numbers of chaps who can help you out.

Last time I bought a couple of cases of a rather decent claret at an absolute bargain price. Smuggled in, I would guess.

IUFG
02-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Hmmm. Their cricket team was actually pretty good in the mid-90s. :sherlock:

Thailand seems remarkably high. They seem so happy and smiley.

Wasn't there something on More or Less about suicide rates recently?
Possibly about which time of the year is prime for topping yourself?

Burney
02-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Yes, obtaining booze outside of hotels can be a bit of a faff, but I have a couple of numbers of chaps who can help you out.

Last time I bought a couple of cases of a rather decent claret at an absolute bargain price. Smuggled in, I would guess.

Doesn't it get very warm?

IUFG
02-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Small glasses stops that.

Trouble is, you have to have lots and lots of them.

Still, just raise your finger and someone brings you a fresh one :cloud9:

:thumbup:

Burney
02-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Small glasses stops that.

Trouble is, you have to have lots and lots of them.

Still, just raise your finger and someone brings you a fresh one :cloud9:

:thumbup:

I remember once eating lobster and drinking claret on the verandah of the Fort Canning Hotel in Singapore and thinking life was pretty fine.

The next morning, I realised I'd been eaten alive by insects and resembled the Elephant Man. Hubris imo.

Sir C
02-07-2019, 12:04 PM

They’ve invented this remarkable device. It’s a sort of white box that sits in your kitchen and keeps things cold.

Burney
02-07-2019, 12:08 PM
They’ve invented this remarkable device. It’s a sort of white box that sits in your kitchen and keeps things cold.

Gosh. They have them there, do they? Well I never.

Tony C
02-07-2019, 01:55 PM
Names are so long they count each suicide as two people?

IUFG
02-07-2019, 02:04 PM
I remember once eating lobster and drinking claret on the verandah of the Fort Canning Hotel in Singapore and thinking life was pretty fine.

The next morning, I realised I'd been eaten alive by insects and resembled the Elephant Man. Hubris imo.

I seem to be immune to the little blighters.

Probably because the glw is an absolute magnet for them :cloud9:

redgunamo
02-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Bowling, T

#TwelfthMan

lol.

Names are so long they count each suicide as two people?

John Bunnell
02-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Thailand's suicide rate is high because of all the chicks with dicks. Transgender suicide rates are sky high.