PDA

View Full Version : 3 hrs until transfer deadline

Just Trent
01-31-2019, 07:37 PM
Have we signed Yann M’Vila yet??

7sisters
01-31-2019, 08:18 PM
Have we signed Yann M’Vila yet??

Looks like Saurez is it. The Spunka lad from PSG is staying put.

Tony C
01-31-2019, 08:52 PM
Unai told no lies...loan transfers only and between zero and two signings :clap:

Played a blinder...got the man he wanted and made everyone realise how bad Ivan and the board have been.

bbrian
01-31-2019, 09:51 PM
Unai told no lies...loan transfers only and between zero and two signings :clap:

Played a blinder...got the man he wanted and made everyone realise how bad Ivan and the board have been.

None of that 'money is available for an exceptional player ' *******s from him either

AFC East
01-31-2019, 09:53 PM

It does remind me that Wenger was not only our most successful manager, he was our most intelligent and blessed with a wry sense of humour.

His first signing was Vieira. Emery's was Lichsteiner.

eastgermanautos
01-31-2019, 10:13 PM
It does remind me that Wenger was not only our most successful manager, he was our most intelligent and blessed with a wry sense of humour.

If I may that sense of humor seriously wore thin. It's what secured him his bumper paydays, including a $22m exit payout. All the while he was happy to provide cover for a bunch of faceless sports bureaucrats while jerking around the average fan.

AFC East
02-01-2019, 12:21 AM
If I may that sense of humor seriously wore thin. It's what secured him his bumper paydays, including a $22m exit payout. All the while he was happy to provide cover for a bunch of faceless sports bureaucrats while jerking around the average fan.

He loved the club and wanted to win. He won us 3 FA Cups in his last five years. Not bad. I'd take that kind of cover.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-01-2019, 09:33 AM

His first signing was Remi Garde. Technically Suarez is Emery’s first signing because Mislintat was doing the recruiting in the summer and now he isn’t.

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2019, 09:44 AM

Techincally his first signing was Remi Garde, completed before the Vieira deal was done but announced at the same time. Anyway, hardly a revealing comparison in any case. George Graham's first signing was Perry Groves, and Georgie turned out to be a decent manager

Ash
02-01-2019, 09:44 AM
His first signing was Remi Garde. Technically Suarez is Emery’s first signing because Mislintat was doing the recruiting in the summer and now he isn’t.

One might suspect that Gwendolin was an Emery signing - seeing as he plays him every match.

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2019, 09:49 AM
One might suspect that Gwendolin was an Emery signing - seeing as he plays him every match.

:nod: It was funny to see Sven getting credit for that one even though it was clearly Emery's influence having known (or heard about him) from his time on PSG's books

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2019, 09:51 AM
:Wave: Daly at full back in Dublin :yikes: We're going to get thumped tomorrow, and Sunday and whichever day the Test finishes. Happy Friday

Billy Goat Sverige
02-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Yes you're probably right. Anyway as LA suggests, none of it is that important. All managers make good signings and bad ones. I'm ****ing sick of people who keep reminiscing about Arsene. He's gone, move on or kill yourself.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-01-2019, 09:55 AM
:Wave: Daly at full back in Dublin :yikes: We're going to get thumped tomorrow, and Sunday and whichever day the Test finishes. Happy Friday

Yeah not really happy with that one. I like it better when he's on the wing although with Watson out i suppose it's him or Brown and i think we need to move on from Brown. Nice to have Tuilagi back though. I've waited 6 years for this :cloud9:

SWv2
02-01-2019, 10:04 AM
:nod: It was funny to see Sven getting credit for that one even though it was clearly Emery's influence having known (or heard about him) from his time on PSG's books

Indeed, the notion that SM was the deciding voice in every transfer move was funny.

When asked how much of an influence Emery had on his move, Guendouzi told Canal Football Club: "He [Emery] was definitely a reason why I went. It was him who really wanted me to come to Arsenal.

Burney
02-01-2019, 10:08 AM

I shall be watching it with my dad. Tomorrow afternoon will be part of the 500-odd minutes a year I spend indulging my Irish heritage.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-01-2019, 10:25 AM
I shall be watching it with my dad. Tomorrow afternoon will be part of the 500-odd minutes a year I spend indulging my Irish heritage.

10 fockin' chars ye contch'ya

SWv2
02-01-2019, 10:46 AM

Jorge MKII

:nod:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-01-2019, 10:52 AM
Jorge MKII

In fairness to b he does have a real Irish parent. Jorge's Irishness was a sort of spiritual thing

Burney
02-01-2019, 10:56 AM
In fairness to b he does have a real Irish parent. Jorge's Irishness was a sort of spiritual thing

In fact I have two Irish parents, h.

The chief attraction of Irishness for j is as a means of disavowing his obvious Englishness rather than as the rather unfortunate twist of genetic fate that it is.

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2019, 10:57 AM

Always a funny one for me too - I will support England but won't be too upset if Ireland win (which they will do tomorrow)

SWv2
02-01-2019, 10:58 AM
In fact I have two Irish parents, h.

The chief attraction of Irishness for j is as a means of disavowing his obvious Englishness rather than as the rather unfortunate twist of genetic fate that it is.

Less of the “unfortunate” if it’s all the same pal.

You will be first in the queue for an Irish passport once Brexit metaphorically fúcks you in the ass.

Burney
02-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Jorge MKII

Nonsense. J hates rugby because he imagines it's posh.

Pokster
02-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Super league season started yesterday so us proper northerners will be concentrating on that ... not this mamby pamby version where the ball is never in play

Burney
02-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Less of the “unfortunate” if it’s all the same pal.

You will be first in the queue for an Irish passport once Brexit metaphorically fúcks you in the ass.

A tendency to burn in anything more than 20 degrees, red hair and a predisposition for raging alcoholism are hardly desirable traits, are they, sw?

And I absolutely promise you I won't. I wouldn't wipe my arse on an Irish passport.

SWv2
02-01-2019, 11:08 AM

It is a really weird sport in Ireland, firmly a Protestant sport when I was growing up so one I never got involved with in any way.

It is still undoubtedly ‘posh’ in Leinster but only in the realms of school rugby which holds a sense of self-importance to be utterly bizarre to anybody who did not attend of those schools. Brian O’Driscoll tells a story of being out in town for a few pints one night and getting verbally berated by some dude on the basis that said dude had won a Leinster Senior Cup with his school and BOD had not.

Thing is with our dominant current position in world rugby and the inevitable World Cup success in the Autumn the sport is now hugely popular. I have neighbours, ordinary chaps, who attend matches and who will discuss rucks and mauls (I suspect they don’t know the difference) while only last year I had to change my football team training from a Wednesday to a Thursday (having been Wednesday for years) because 5 of my team had decided to take up the foreign Protestant sport and there was a clash.

Burney
02-01-2019, 11:16 AM
It is a really weird sport in Ireland, firmly a Protestant sport when I was growing up so one I never got involved with in any way.

It is still undoubtedly ‘posh’ in Leinster but only in the realms of school rugby which holds a sense of self-importance to be utterly bizarre to anybody who did not attend of those schools. Brian O’Driscoll tells a story of being out in town for a few pints one night and getting verbally berated by some dude on the basis that said dude had won a Leinster Senior Cup with his school and BOD had not.

Thing is with our dominant current position in world rugby and the inevitable World Cup success in the Autumn the sport is now hugely popular. I have neighbours, ordinary chaps, who attend matches and who will discuss rucks and mauls (I suspect they don’t know the difference) while only last year I had to change my football team training from a Wednesday to a Thursday (having been Wednesday for years) because 5 of my team had decided to take up the foreign Protestant sport and there was a clash.

Certainly it's the case in Leinster that rugby is dominated by the big independent schools. Like BOD, my dad went to Blackrock College, where rugby was virtually a religion. Clongowes, St Mary's, Belvedere et al are similar.
The anomaly in recent years has been the rise in Munster rugby, of course. In the old days, Irish provincial rugby was exclusively dominated by Ulster and Leinster, but not any more. Now I don't know the backgrounds of the Munster players, but my instinctive assumption is that people from Munster all work on farms and eat their young - hardly 'posh' in other words.

Also, you realise that football was codified in British public schools and is therefore just as foreign and protestant? ;_)