PDA

View Full Version : So we was 'sacked' then.

Pat Vegas
01-29-2019, 09:09 AM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11621060/arsenal-transfer-rumours-arsene-wenger-received-17-1m-payoff

Pokster
01-29-2019, 09:47 AM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11621060/arsenal-transfer-rumours-arsene-wenger-received-17-1m-payoff

The decision to give him a 2 yr extension (and all the staff), and then for him to want to sign Ozil on a £17.5m per year contract are shown to be ****ing stupid

Monty92
01-29-2019, 09:53 AM
The decision to give him a 2 yr extension (and all the staff), and then for him to want to sign Ozil on a £17.5m per year contract are shown to be ****ing stupid

:nod: I remember you saying that the day we signed Ozil. Furious, you were.

Pat Vegas
01-29-2019, 10:02 AM

To be honest I was just as excited when we signed Arshavin.
then he suddenly become ****terer :sherlock:

Pokster
01-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Don't be a cock.. I know that is your default position

WES
01-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Firstly, many people objected to the extension and Ozil’s contract. Secondly, even if they didn’t, so what?

Both decisions with hindsight were proven to be the wrong ones. :shrug:

IUFG
01-29-2019, 10:13 AM

if by 'sacked' you mean his contract came to a premature end, then yes.

Unless he (Wenger) resigned, any contractual obligations would have needed to be settled.

In any case. I'm sure £17m would sweeten the deal.

Tony C
01-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Bouldie must be on Justin Beiber monies considering we didn’t kick him to the kerb as well.

Can’t be his usefulness as a defensive coach imo

Pat Vegas
01-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Firstly, many people objected to the extension and Ozil’s contract. Secondly, even if they didn’t, so what?

Don't think the club could have let Sanchez and Ozil both leave in a short period.
Well they could have.

Pokster
01-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Don't think the club could have let Sanchez and Ozil both leave in a short period.
Well they could have.

Makes you wonder when they actually decided AW would be got rid of? IF they had an idea earlier in the season that it was on the cards then letting both of the players go might not have been a bad idea rather than offering a huge contract to the 1 player nobody seemed to want to sign anyway.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-29-2019, 12:58 PM

I don't even think it is hindsight for quite a few. I think there were a lot of people face palming at the time.

Ash
01-29-2019, 01:00 PM
I don't even think it is hindsight for quite a few. I think there were a lot of people face palming at the time.

There were also a lot of people demanding that we pay what it takes to 'send a message' that we can keep our players, and to show that we are a big club and so on.

Rich
01-29-2019, 01:03 PM

I think it was a lot about saving face. We had Alexis and Özil, who were both stalling on a new deal. Be this due to lack of ambition/investment in the squad, we don’t know. But they were stalling.

The club could not be seen to lose both of its premier stars on free transfers in one summer, so we had to agree with one.

Alexis wanted City (and who can blame him?) but then United thundered in with £500k a week plus a cut of image rights. This was a deal that Arsenal will never be able to match.

That left Özil as the one we couldn’t afford to lose. Not because of what he does on the pitch, but because of his stature in the game.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-29-2019, 01:04 PM

I wonder if we tried to sell Ozil at any time before he signed his contract?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-29-2019, 01:10 PM
There were also a lot of people demanding that we pay what it takes to 'send a message' that we can keep our players, and to show that we are a big club and so on.

I think you are right. There were a number of people demanding we "show our ambition". There were also a number of people calling not to pay this kind of money to Ozil. This time last year we were a very fractured fan base.

I wonder whether we actually tried to sell Ozil?

Pokster
01-29-2019, 01:14 PM
I think you are right. There were a number of people demanding we "show our ambition". There were also a number of people calling not to pay this kind of money to Ozil. This time last year we were a very fractured fan base.

I wonder whether we actually tried to sell Ozil?

There seemed to be a lack of any news about any club that wanted him.. he could have signed a pre contract and didnn't, and i don't remember any decent rumours that anyone had offered him one or even talked to him

Ash
01-29-2019, 01:22 PM
There seemed to be a lack of any news about any club that wanted him.. he could have signed a pre contract and didnn't, and i don't remember any decent rumours that anyone had offered him one or even talked to him

Unlike Aaron, no-one wanted him.

So, Ramsey > Ozil QED :nod:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
01-29-2019, 01:34 PM

It doesn't make sense. If that was the case, it seems utterly ludicrous to give him £350K a week and make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

Alternatively, there were lots of takers and we "showed" our ambition by signing him up

The obvious fall back is that we were desperate and vulnerable, Ozil's team sensed it and went in for the kill. A tactic I intend to use this summer at my place of work.

Luis Anaconda
01-29-2019, 01:42 PM

Perhaps he was happy and never angling for a move just a right deal (though he was often and heavily connected with a move to Old Trafford, certainly prior to the Alexis deal). It's one of WES's favourite angles in his many diatribes against Ramsey earlier in the season/over the summer to point out that he was never really connected with any big clubs, yet lo and behold once it was clear he was going there were plenty of alleged suitors and a massive offer from one of the biggest clubs in the world