PDA

View Full Version : As someone who firmly believes that Unai Emery has turned us

Monty92
12-20-2018, 09:36 AM
into the laughing stock of world football with his grotesque appearance and comedy voice, can I just say that any criticism of him at this point is absolutely crazy.

His first few months have been largely excellent and we’ve seen significant improvement individually and collectively. We’ve certainly seen enough so far to be confident we’ve picked a worthy successor to Wenger.

I would say, however, that I’m not quite sure how we bridge the obvious gap between us and the teams above us without CL football to attract better players.

Which was my entire point when I used to say that top four was more important than a trophy and was roundly shouted down for doing so :rolleyes:

Herbert Augustus Chapman
12-20-2018, 09:39 AM
into the laughing stock of world football with his grotesque appearance and comedy voice, can I just say that any criticism of him at this point is absolutely crazy.

His first few months have been largely excellent and we’ve seen significant improvement individually and collectively. We’ve certainly seen enough so far to be confident we’ve picked a worthy successor to Wenger.

I would say, however, that I’m not quite sure how we bridge the obvious gap between us and the teams above us without CL football to attract better players.

Which was my entire point when I used to say that top four was more important than a trophy and was roundly shouted down for doing so :rolleyes:

You were usually shouted down for being a big nosed ****sack m; nowt to do with your opinions on football.

Monty92
12-20-2018, 09:42 AM
This is an entirely fair intervention.

You were usually shouted down for being a big nosed ****sack m; nowt to do with your opinions on football.

redgunamo
12-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Well, over the years and mostly in defence of Wenger, we have pooh-poohed the idea of signing many, if not most, of the players currently performing for the teams above us (#fiftymillionquid4johnstoneslol). So maybe it's not so much about buying better players as it is about getting the players you already have to play better?

Especially seeing as all that Champions League qualification apparently didn't actually enable us to sign all those "better" players we needed in order to continue to qualify for the Champions League, did it :homer:

AFC East
12-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Of course it's too early to judge him. It's fair to say whether you enjoy watching his team play. It's also fair to point out that alleged improvements to players like Iwobi are difficult to support.

Monty92
12-20-2018, 10:06 AM
CL football definitely makes it easier to sign good players. The fact that this didn’t prevent us from
dropping out doesn’t change that.

Well, over the years and mostly in defence of Wenger, we have pooh-poohed the idea of signing many, if not most, of the players currently performing for the teams above us (#fiftymillionquid4johnstoneslol). So maybe it's not so much about buying better players as it is about getting the players you already have to play better?

Especially seeing as all that Champions League qualification apparently didn't actually enable us to sign all those "better" players we needed in order to continue to qualify for the Champions League, did it :homer:

redgunamo
12-20-2018, 10:10 AM
CL football definitely makes it easier to sign good players. The fact that this didn’t prevent us from
dropping out doesn’t change that.

OK, if you say so. Perhaps then, merely buying good players is not actually the issue? #WengerOut

Monty92
12-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Correct....

OK, if you say so. Perhaps then, merely buying good players is not actually the issue? #WengerOut

Sir C
12-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Of course it's too early to judge him. It's fair to say whether you enjoy watching his team play. It's also fair to point out that alleged improvements to players like Iwobi are difficult to support.

Here is wisdom.

We're just ordinary. It's like watching Everton.

IUFG
12-20-2018, 10:52 AM

I did go on AWIMB record earlier in the season that I may have been wrong about Iwobi.

It turns out that I wasn't. He really is quite extraordinarily shít.

Tony C
12-20-2018, 10:58 AM
This is what an actual transition period should feel like.

The Mad Spaniard will figure it out.

I’m glad we’ve lost the last two because we were in danger of papering over cracks with that weak 22 game run which included games against teams I didn’t even know existed.

His big thing was he wanted to try and improve the existing players but one by one the same ones who let Wenger down are doing so again.

redgunamo
12-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Correct....

Anyway, Emery merely provides us Arsenal supporters with a new, different grotesque appearance and comedy voice. If this sort of thing makes us a laughing stock then we ought to be well used to it by now. As indeed must almost everyone else in football.

Monty92
12-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Nah, we’re decent.

Here is wisdom.

PSRB
12-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Nah, we’re decent.

We were, Rashford's fault for knacking our best CB that we've gone a bit ****

SWv2
12-20-2018, 12:06 PM

The gap between us and City (and as of now I must very begrudgingly include Liverpool) is probably insurmountable at this point however I see no reason why we cannot pick up again and make a true challenge for top 4 and with that the return to CL football you refer to. We could with another good run of form get in there this season, I have not for one second given up on it.

Thereafter working with current players and regrettably a rather large investment allied with a clever scouting program is essential. One can laugh and indeed point at scenarios such as £50m for John Stones (to use the honourable Red’s example from earlier) but I would suggest that by the end of his time at City he will roundly be declared to have been worth every single penny of that money.

We need anywhere from 1-3 new defenders depending on your viewpoint as none of Koscielny or Monreal are getting any younger and question marks exist around others such as Mustafi and Kolasinac. As an example we should be looking at somebody like Pavard at Stuttgart, he will cost a lot but go for it now and hopefully reap the benefit as he improves like a fine red wine. Would not be cheap but there you go.

We have talent in midfield, perhaps not overloaded with cover but we do have very good players in this area and also in attacking positions though again there we need something new, something different. Reiss Nelson will return in the summer and will be viewed by some / many to be the panacea to our attacking problems but in reality he probably won’t be.

Even more investment.

We shall save money by losing the wages of Ramsey and Ozil and getting whatever fee we can for the latter and then build from there.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
12-20-2018, 12:18 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Burney
12-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Here is wisdom.

:nod: Just another fùcking football club now, innit.

Pat Vegas
12-20-2018, 12:27 PM

I have the feeling a few players upped their game with the new manager effect. but it's easy to fall into old habits or to see that actually they are still not that good.

SWv2
12-20-2018, 12:41 PM
I have the feeling a few players upped their game with the new manager effect. but it's easy to fall into old habits or to see that actually they are still not that good.

Like when you get a new girlfriend and for a few weeks you up your game and then by week 5 you piss the bed on the saturday night.

WES
12-20-2018, 12:48 PM

I don’t think many people denied the significance of a top four finish, I think people objected to that being the extent of our ambition and justifying every failure or rejecting every criticism with the top four finish argument.

Monty92
12-20-2018, 01:24 PM
I’m talking about the large number of people who stated they’d rather win a domestic cup than finish top 4. Not sure if you were among them but they remain cretins.

I don’t think many people denied the significance of a top four finish, I think people objected to that being the extent of our ambition and justifying every failure or rejecting every criticism with the top four finish argument.