PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon period's over then ?

7sisters
12-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Took the dog for a walk at half time, expecting us to be back in the game on my return :-(

Sir C
12-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Took the dog for a walk at half time, expecting us to be back in the game on my return :-(

We’re proper ordinary. That’s the grim truth.

Arsène never made us ordinary.

AFC East
12-19-2018, 09:37 PM
The never lost a second half trophy has gone.

To be fair the only reason we beat Spurs last time is because they were knackered. They are out of our league.

redgunamo
12-19-2018, 09:41 PM

It would seem so. Time for Unai to start stressing the need for a Winter break now.

Although, hasn't that already been decided upon? Next season?

WES
12-19-2018, 09:43 PM

To be fair the only reason we beat Spurs last time is because they were knackered. They are out of our league.

Well, they certainly were last season when we finished 3 places and 14 points behind them. This season it remains to be seen but given that we pasted them 4-2 not so long ago and are only 5 points back it’s certainly not over yet.

But chin up mate, the rot is behind us now that we finally got rid of that stupid French cund and there is now hope at long last. :thumbup:

bbrian
12-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Well, they certainly were last season when we finished 3 places and 14 points behind them. This season it remains to be seen but given that we pasted them 4-2 not so long ago and are only 5 points back it’s certainly not over yet.

But chin up mate, the rot is behind us now that we finally got rid of that stupid French cund and there is now hope at long last. :thumbup:

You are all in on Emery Wes ...this might end very poorly for you i'm afraid ...still , 6 points versus Burnley and Brighton might give us the confidence to get a result against Liverpool . That would make for an interesting rest of season
..here's hoping

WES
12-19-2018, 09:57 PM
You are all in on Emery Wes ...this might end very poorly for you i'm afraid ...still , 6 points versus Burnley and Brighton might give us the confidence to get a result against Liverpool . That would make for an interesting rest of season
..here's hoping

You are aware we just went 22 games without losing, are you? Our massive 2 game losing streak has coincided with virtually all of our CBs being injured or suspended and if you watch the goals they all come down to poor play at the back.

All will be well bb, the rot is over and we have a bright future, once again.

AFC East
12-19-2018, 10:02 PM
Well, they certainly were last season when we finished 3 places and 14 points behind them. This season it remains to be seen but given that we pasted them 4-2 not so long ago and are only 5 points back it’s certainly not over yet.:

You do realise we played better in beating them 2-0 at home last season and that we are five points behind them?

bbrian
12-19-2018, 10:08 PM
You are aware we just went 22 games without losing, are you? Our massive 2 game losing streak has coincided with virtually all of our CBs being injured or suspended and if you watch the goals they all come down to poor play at the back.

All will be well bb, the rot is over and we have a bright future, once again.

I know , i know ...the amount of goals we are conceding is a concern too though . Im just a bit pessimistic on all things Arsenal i suppose . I dont want him to be a manager that just relies on players pressing and running ...i want him also to be able to coach the stupid out of Iwobi , Xhaxa , Ramsey , Bellerin and a couple more

WES
12-19-2018, 10:09 PM
You do realise we played better in beating them 2-0 at home last season and that we are five points behind them?

No, I don’t think we did play better, we played them off the park second half, they couldn’t get near us.

But more importantly, I will point out to you for the last time that we finished 3 places and 14 points behind them last year, so getting upset that we lost to them in the league cup with a makeshift back four shortly after we hammered them in the league strikes me as bizarre.

WES
12-19-2018, 10:11 PM
I know , i know ...the amount of goals we are conceding is a concern too though . Im just a bit pessimistic on all things Arsenal i suppose . I dont want him to be a manager that just relies on players pressing and running ...i want him also to be able to coach the stupid out of Iwobi , Xhaxa , Ramsey , Bellerin and a couple more

Um, I would argue that all four of the players you mention are playing better than they ever have for Arsenal :shrug:

bbrian
12-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Um, I would argue that all four of the players you mention are playing better than they ever have for Arsenal :shrug:
Granit is much better this year for sure , Iwobi started well but has faded . Ramsey did score 400 goals once in a season and Bellerin is perhaps coming.back to form
They still do stupid undisciplined shīt though ...silly backheels from Ramsey , xhaka has no clue how to properly act the cűnt and some of Iwobis passing is still shocking .

I know im nitpicking a bit but im getting bombarded with texts from spurs fans .

AFC East
12-20-2018, 08:00 AM
No, I don’t think we did play better, we played them off the park second half, they couldn’t get near us.

But more importantly, I will point out to you for the last time that we finished 3 places and 14 points behind them last year, so getting upset that we lost to them in the league cup with a makeshift back four shortly after we hammered them in the league strikes me as bizarre.

I have a different recollection of last year’s game. We certainly defended far better then and I don’t recall them being exhausted.

I’m not upset about the league cup, I fully expected to lose. As for Iwobi playing his best football, have you seen any of the last 10 games? The spurs game in particular he stank out the place.

We’ve becoming a deeply boring team to watch. Not even having a fit Ozil on the bench was a truly bizarre act. He creates more chances in a game than Iwobi creates in a season. It’s not as if leaving Ozil out makes us defend better. We are woeful defensively.

It’s still early days, but the early signs are that we could be heading for tedium and 5th and 6th place fights. If Manu get in Zidane we could be a distant 6th.

Pokster
12-20-2018, 08:14 AM

??? Aprt from the second halfs we have lost before.

Don't talk crap about Spurs, it was a crap cup game

redgunamo
12-20-2018, 08:48 AM
The situation described there is practically the same one the new man inherited when he took the job. But it was the result of twenty-two years. And now we're judging Unai after six months? :shrug:

I have a different recollection of last year’s game. We certainly defended far better then and I don’t recall them being exhausted.

I’m not upset about the league cup, I fully expected to lose. As for Iwobi playing his best football, have you seen any of the last 10 games? The spurs game in particular he stank out the place.

We’ve becoming a deeply boring team to watch. Not even having a fit Ozil on the bench was a truly bizarre act. He creates more chances in a game than Iwobi creates in a season. It’s not as if leaving Ozil out makes us defend better. We are woeful defensively.

It’s still early days, but the early signs are that we could be heading for tedium and 5th and 6th place fights. If Manu get in Zidane we could be a distant 6th.

AFC East
12-20-2018, 09:58 AM
??? Aprt from the second halfs we have lost before.

Don't talk crap about Spurs, it was a crap cup game

You don't think they are better than us? Did we field a weakened team?

AFC East
12-20-2018, 10:00 AM
The situation described there is practically the same one the new man inherited when he took the job. But it was the result of twenty-two years. And now we're judging Unai after six months? :shrug:

I'm not judging him, just pointing out that there is almost no basis for optimism yet.

Pokster
12-20-2018, 10:02 AM

Did they field a weakened team at the start of the month??? I would say they are slightly ahead of us at the moment but the gap is closer than last season and we are heading in the right direction

AFC East
12-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Did they field a weakened team at the start of the month??? I would say they are slightly ahead of us at the moment but the gap is closer than last season and we are heading in the right direction

I think they fielded a knackered team at the start of the month. If you saw the last 20 minutes, that was pretty evident.

Pokster
12-20-2018, 10:09 AM
I think they fielded a knackered team at the start of the month. If you saw the last 20 minutes, that was pretty evident.

They must have been knackered at the start of the game then as for the first 20 mninutes we blew them away.... so using your reasoning, we would have been knackered as we had a days less rest from last weekend

SWv2
12-20-2018, 12:15 PM

They are better than us but they are also 2-3 years ahead of us on the journey, as such.

Your earlier comment was "They are out of our league" - I don't think the difference is that stark.

WES
12-20-2018, 12:31 PM
I'm not judging him, just pointing out that there is almost no basis for optimism yet.

You don’t think 22 games undefeated early in his tenure with the club is a basis for optimism? And if they were so tired in the league game why did we piss all over them in the first 20 minutes followed by them coming back into it and taking the lead? Did their tiredness disappear and then reappear magically?

And are you really drawing definitive conclusions on our relative strength based on a league cup game while ignoring the league game? Seriously?

Honestly mate, I get that you loved Wenger, we all did at some point, but you seem to have lost all objectivity and are putting yourself in the position that if we do something special this season (like winning our first European trophy and making the top four) you won’t be able to celebrate it. What’s the point of supporting a football club if you can’t do that? :shrug:

AFC East
12-20-2018, 01:35 PM
You don’t think 22 games undefeated early in his tenure with the club is a basis for optimism? And if they were so tired in the league game why did we piss all over them in the first 20 minutes followed by them coming back into it and taking the lead? Did their tiredness disappear and then reappear magically?

And are you really drawing definitive conclusions on our relative strength based on a league cup game while ignoring the league game? Seriously?

Honestly mate, I get that you loved Wenger, we all did at some point, but you seem to have lost all objectivity and are putting yourself in the position that if we do something special this season (like winning our first European trophy and making the top four) you won’t be able to celebrate it. What’s the point of supporting a football club if you can’t do that? :shrug:

It depends what you are optimistic about.
Am I optimistic about enjoying Arsenal play football? No.
Am I optimistic about winning the league in the next three seasons? No.
Do I think we could push our way into the top 4 in the next three years? Mildly.

In fairness, it's too early to judge. I take umbrage at the unbridled optimism of some fans and offer a counterpoint. Yes, Spurs were very tired in the second half imo. That's the way tiredness works, it gets worse as the game goes on.

You also reveal yourself as a total JCL, by talking about our first European trophy. Some of us remember the last couple pretty well. The Europa League is nothing by comparison, but would be welcome none the less.

AFC East
12-20-2018, 01:36 PM
They are better than us but they are also 2-3 years ahead of us on the journey, as such.

Your earlier comment was "They are out of our league" - I don't think the difference is that stark.

Okay, they are a level above us, not a league. We will see at the end of the season.

SWv2
12-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Okay, they are a level above us, not a league. We will see at the end of the season.

I will grant you this.

:nod:

WES
12-20-2018, 02:48 PM
It depends what you are optimistic about.
Am I optimistic about enjoying Arsenal play football? No.
Am I optimistic about winning the league in the next three seasons? No.
Do I think we could push our way into the top 4 in the next three years? Mildly.

In fairness, it's too early to judge. I take umbrage at the unbridled optimism of some fans and offer a counterpoint. Yes, Spurs were very tired in the second half imo. That's the way tiredness works, it gets worse as the game goes on.

You also reveal yourself as a total JCL, by talking about our first European trophy. Some of us remember the last couple pretty well. The Europa League is nothing by comparison, but would be welcome none the less.

I meant the first European trophy since Wenger although I accept I didn’t make that clear, the point really was that as Wenger failed to win one, Unai achieving that in his first year would be quite an achievement.

And If you aren’t optimistic now I fail to see how you could have been any more optimistic under Wenger given the continual degradation in results. We were only going in one direction under him, Unai has been brought in to arrest that.