PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Mesut.

Sir C
12-19-2018, 07:00 PM
I always thought you were 80%of the footballer you could have been, but I always enjoyed watching you.

Under the new George Graham we aren’t allowed to watch players os skill and vision. We can only have lads who run around a lot.

Soon it will be 1-0 to the Arsenal, sending teams out to injure opponents, worshipping mediocrity. We should have got Pauli’s in, he’d have been cheaper.

**** this ****.

redgunamo
12-19-2018, 07:12 PM
I always thought you were 80%of the footballer you could have been, but I always enjoyed watching you.

Under the new George Graham we aren’t allowed to watch players os skill and vision. We can only have lads who run around a lot.

Soon it will be 1-0 to the Arsenal, sending teams out to injure opponents, worshipping mediocrity. We should have got Pauli’s in, he’d have been cheaper.

**** this ****.

In fairness, we've actually been worshipping mediocrity for some time. The new man may very well offer merely more of the same.

It seems to happen to everyone, every football club, after a period of great success, as the people responsible for the good times grow old or are marginalised, even discarded.

Fortunately, I don't think Arsenal supporters are especially greedy.

Sir C
12-19-2018, 07:24 PM
In fairness, we've actually been worshipping mediocrity for some time. The new man may very well offer merely more of the same.

It seems to happen to everyone, every football club, after a period of great success, as the people responsible for the good times grow old or are marginalised, even discarded.

Fortunately, I don't think Arsenal supporters are especially greedy.

Nonsense. Arsène was sacked for the crime of rejecting mediocrity in the pursuit of exceptionalism. We used to have special players, free to express themselves and fail, or produce wonders.

Now we have, erm, a little lad who runs s a lot in midfield and wins a few tackles. Woohoo.

redgunamo
12-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Nonsense. Arsène was sacked for the crime of rejecting mediocrity in the pursuit of exceptionalism. We used to have special players, free to express themselves and fail, or produce wonders.

Now we have, erm, a little lad who runs s a lot in midfield and wins a few tackles. Woohoo.

See, I'd put it the other way about; he rejected exceptionalism and successfully pursued mediocrity.

We actually still have some pretty special players, mostly his, of course, but, perhaps ironically, a little lad like that running alot and winning tackles could've earned him a few more titles and he'd still be with us today.

Sir C
12-19-2018, 07:49 PM
See, I'd put it the other way about; he rejected exceptionalism and successfully pursued mediocrity.

We actually still have some pretty special players, mostly his, of course, but, perhaps ironically, a little lad like that running alot and winning tackles could've earned him a few more titles and he'd still be with us today.

Have the plates in your head moved again? The special players we still have are being shown the door for God’s sake.

barrybueno
12-19-2018, 08:00 PM
Have the plates in your head moved again? The special players we still have are being shown the door for God’s sake.

Have a drink ffs!

Or drink faster, one of the two

7sisters
12-19-2018, 08:01 PM

I think your earlier quote summed it up quite well. 'I always thought you were 80% of the footballer you could have been, but I always enjoyed watching you'.
80% Isn't likely to cut it with these new, 'high press' managers.

redgunamo
12-19-2018, 08:02 PM

There you are then. Perhaps sixth place wasn't considered to be quite special enough.

Anyway, now, the new chap seems to feel we can do better. Perhaps echoing Wenger, who himself often appeared to suggest we could have done better (given the necessary funds).