PDA

View Full Version : Which of the following London hotels is best. I need to stay for one night tonight

Rich
11-29-2018, 09:37 AM
and the choice is mine.

Shangri'la - The Shard
Four Seasons, Trinity Square
The Dorchester

Sir C
11-29-2018, 09:44 AM
and the choice is mine.

Shangri'la - The Shard
The Dorchester

The Shangri la is going to be hideously overpriced and it's in the middle of nowhere, except if you want to visit Borough Market.

The Dorchester is designed for Arabs and is as flash as a rat with a gold tooth. I like China Tang for lunch, but that's about it.

Four Seasons' always strike me as a bit tryhard, you know? Like they're American or something.

I recommend The Beaumont.

Burney
11-29-2018, 09:45 AM
The Shangri la is going to be hideously overpriced and it's in the middle of nowhere, except if you want to visit Borough Market.

The Dorchester is designed for Arabs and is as flash as a rat with a gold tooth. I like China Tang for lunch, but that's about it.

Four Seasons' always strike me as a bit tryhard, you know? Like they're American or something.

Also, is there a more naff name for anything than The Shangri La?

Sir C
11-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Also, is there a more naff name for anything than The Shangri La?

It's an Asian company b. Be garetul, they could have called it Winlucky Freshtime or somethign equally ridiculous. (That is the real name of a company in Hong Kong I used to trde with.)

Burney
11-29-2018, 09:53 AM
It's an Asian company b. Be garetul, they could have called it Winlucky Freshtime or somethign equally ridiculous. (That is the real name of a company in Hong Kong I used to trde with.)

What did they sell? Intimate wipes?

Sir C
11-29-2018, 09:58 AM
What did they sell? Intimate wipes?

Cars, just cars. There was a fashion in Hong Kong for putting random English words together to name your company.

At around the same time I used to deal with a Malay called Mr Yip. In the Chinese fashion his business card showed his surname followed by his initials. Imagine my struggle when he first handed me a card declaring him to be Mr Yip E I. :hehe:

Asia was fun in the 90s. :-(

Burney
11-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Cars, just cars. There was a fashion in Hong Kong for putting random English words together to name your company.

At around the same time I used to deal with a Malay called Mr Yip. In the Chinese fashion his business card showed his surname followed by his initials. Imagine my struggle when he first handed me a card declaring him to be Mr Yip E I. :hehe:

Asia was fun in the 90s. :-(

You can't even make fun of their names any more. :-(

Rich
11-29-2018, 10:09 AM

Unfortunately The Beaumont does not feature on the list I was provided. Expense of the Shangri La is not my problem.

However, I’m told that the barman at Trinity Square knows how to make an Old Fashioned. So I think that is where I shall end up.

Sir C
11-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately The Beaumont does not feature on the list I was provided. Expense of the Shangri La is not my problem.

However, I’m told that the barman at Trinity Square knows how to make an Old Fashioned. So I think that is where I shall end up.

If you find a 5 star hotel in London at which the barman does not know how to make an Old Fashioned, I will give you one thousand English pounds.

Burney
11-29-2018, 10:17 AM
If you find a 5 star hotel in London at which the barman does not know how to make an Old Fashioned, I will give you one thousand English pounds.

Surely an Old Fashioned is just a poor man's Vieux Carré?

Sir C
11-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Surely an Old Fashioned is just a poor man's Vieux Carré?

Quite. It's as basic a cocktail as a Bloody Mary. Or pina colada. :hehe:

AFC East
11-30-2018, 12:02 AM
Indeed but you don’t have to go to Louisiana to get a decent Old Fashioned.

eastgermanautos
11-30-2018, 06:50 AM

Never feel too great about tarnishing good whiskey. Drink it straight like a man.

Luis Anaconda
11-30-2018, 11:25 AM
and the choice is mine.

Shangri'la - The Shard
The Dorchester

I like Four Seasons generally, r. Have done work with them and stayed in a few - can’t go wrong really

Rich
11-30-2018, 11:49 AM
That’s where I stayed. Remained in the Rotunda Bar until last orders were taken. Whisky to bed with me. Up at 06:00. Feel like **** now.

SWv2
11-30-2018, 12:29 PM

May I just ask what exactly an Old Fashioned is?

I could google it but why bother when it seems to be common knowledge.

Luis Anaconda
11-30-2018, 12:36 PM
May I just ask what exactly an Old Fashioned is?

I could google it but why bother when it seems to be common knowledge.

Basically bourbon, sugar and bitters - very nice

Luis Anaconda
11-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Never feel too great about tarnishing good whiskey. Drink it straight like a man.

It’s not made with good whiskey though, it’s made with Bourbon

SWv2
11-30-2018, 12:41 PM
Basically bourbon, sugar and bitters - very nice

LA describes alcoholic beverage as “very nice”.

As critical reviews go this isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement.

Next week Sir C "Cowboy boots - fashion faux pas or a go to look for 2019".

Sir C
11-30-2018, 12:44 PM

I used to love my cowboy boots. I wonder if they’re still in a cupboard s9mewhere?

IUFG
11-30-2018, 12:45 PM
I used to love my cowboy boots. I wonder if they’re still in a cupboard s9mewhere?

They were in the boot of the Capri, sc.

And like the Capri, of their time...

Luis Anaconda
11-30-2018, 01:15 PM

It’s a drink you have at the end of the evening after a rake of pints - not really quaffable

SWv2
11-30-2018, 02:10 PM
It’s a drink you have at the end of the evening after a rake of pints - not really quaffable

I like how you speak the local lingo when addressing me.

:hehe:

Tony C
11-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Try The Haymarket.

Awesome bar too. The guys will know their cocktails inside out.