PDA

View Full Version : Underrated things #2

Sir C
11-27-2018, 02:49 PM
The saveloy. The strange condom-like texture of the skin, the slightly spicy mecahnically recovered meat slurry... my mother once remarked that my saveloy looked like 'a dog's dickie', which was as close to profanity as I ever heard her come.

I like mine accompanied by a battered sausage for ultimate textural contrast. A dip in ketchup is not to be sniffed at.

You never see them in the shops, do you? I'd like to try home-cooked saveloy.

How do you prefer your saveloy?

SWv2
11-27-2018, 02:59 PM
The saveloy. The strange condom-like texture of the skin, the slightly spicy mecahnically recovered meat slurry... my mother once remarked that my saveloy looked like 'a dog's dickie', which was as close to profanity as I ever heard her come.

I like mine accompanied by a battered sausage for ultimate textural contrast. A dip in ketchup is not to be sniffed at.

Never had one.

Nor a battered sausage.

Sir C
11-27-2018, 03:02 PM
Never had one.

Nor a battered sausage.

You've missed out, sw. Next time you're over I commend this dinner to you. Battered sausage, saveloy and chips. Marvellous.

Now, in sad news, I hear that digging for turf is ceasing on the Emerald Isle. Does this mean that country pubs will no longer smell of burning turf, Sweet Afton and stale Guinness? :-(

SWv2
11-27-2018, 03:10 PM
You've missed out, sw. Next time you're over I commend this dinner to you. Battered sausage, saveloy and chips. Marvellous.

Now, in sad news, I hear that digging for turf is ceasing on the Emerald Isle. Does this mean that country pubs will no longer smell of burning turf, Sweet Afton and stale Guinness? :-(

Well I was burning turf on Saturday and Sunday and briefly thought of the conversation we had on Friday. I sat there with a roaring fir, a glass of beer and a small bowl of salty Valencia almonds just thinking how life had peaked.

Turf will always be cut and burned in homes and in pubs, the large scale industrial cutting carried out by Bord na Mona may cease as I seem to recall a news story in recent weeks of some large scale operations being shut down, but the bag of turf, roughly cut by Johnny out in the bog will always remain.

I was told by a chap that I wasn’t supposed to be burning it in Dublin however sure if I was not to burn it then why would the shops sell it?? Riddle me that.

Sir C
11-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Well I was burning turf on Saturday and Sunday and briefly thought of the conversation we had on Friday. I sat there with a roaring fir, a glass of beer and a small bowl of salty Valencia almonds just thinking how life had peaked.

Turf will always be cut and burned in homes and in pubs, the large scale industrial cutting carried out by Bord na Mona may cease as I seem to recall a news story in recent weeks of some large scale operations being shut down, but the bag of turf, roughly cut by Johnny out in the bog will always remain.

I was told by a chap that I wasn’t supposed to be burning it in Dublin however sure if I was not to burn it then why would the shops sell it?? Riddle me that.

Excellent news, I'm glad to hear it and envy you the smell in your living room. I bought some here via the internets a couple of years ago but it was hideously expensive and didn't smell quite right. Probably protestant turf.

Apparently the mayor of London is considering banning wood-burning stoves from his purview. Now there is some ambiguity as to whether my house falls within his area of influence, but I can tell you now that no fúcker is going to stop me warming my hole by a real fire.

Valencia almonds, you say? Poof.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-27-2018, 03:26 PM

. . . . . . . . .

PSRB
11-27-2018, 03:28 PM
Excellent news, I'm glad to hear it and envy you the smell in your living room. I bought some here via the internets a couple of years ago but it was hideously expensive and didn't smell quite right. Probably protestant turf.

Apparently the mayor of London is considering banning wood-burning stoves from his purview. Now there is some ambiguity as to whether my house falls within his area of influence, but I can tell you now that no fúcker is going to stop me warming my hole by a real fire.

Valencia almonds, you say? Poof.

He's just banned junk food ads from TfL, which is a massive pain in the rear!

Sir C
11-27-2018, 03:30 PM
He's just banned junk food ads from TfL, which is a massive pain in the rear!

He is one of the world's greatest cócks. FACT.

Burney
11-27-2018, 03:36 PM

We are as one in this matter. Battered sossie, saveloy and chips is food of the gods.

My rather dirty kink is that I like to smother the lot in salt, vinegar, mushy peas and ketchup and devour the lot using a chip fork. :eat:

Sir C
11-27-2018, 03:39 PM
. . . . . . . . .

That's funny, because she always referred to you as, 'Chihuahua dick.'

I wonder what she meant by that?

Sir C
11-27-2018, 03:41 PM
We are as one in this matter. Battered sossie, saveloy and chips is food of the gods.

My rather dirty kink is that I like to smother the lot in salt, vinegar, mushy peas and ketchup and devour the lot using a chip fork. :eat:

Hmm. Don't the mushy preas make things a little... glutinous?

The fishmonger will be here shortly and I have no inspiration whatsoever. Some baked plaice fillets? Breaded cod cheeks? I just feel a little meh about the whole thing. I suppose I could defenstrate him in favour of the chippy...

PSRB
11-27-2018, 03:50 PM

The fishmonger will be here shortly and I have no inspiration whatsoever. Some baked plaice fillets? Breaded cod cheeks? I just feel a little meh about the whole thing. I suppose I could defenstrate him in favour of the chippy...

Been up here for 10 years and still can't even contemplate eating mushy peas

Sir C
11-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Been up here for 10 years and still can't even contemplate eating mushy peas

You can get gravy on your chips, right? Lucky, lucky bástard.

PSRB
11-27-2018, 03:57 PM
You can get gravy on your chips, right? Lucky, lucky bástard.

Oh yes, although not sure about KFC's new chips, still no match for McDonalds chips and think I preferred the original ones.

Sir C
11-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Oh yes, although not sure about KFC's new chips, still no match for McDonalds chips and think I preferred the original ones.

No, I mean from the chippy. Does the chippy have gravy?

PSRB
11-27-2018, 04:04 PM
No, I mean from the chippy. Does the chippy have gravy?

Oh God, yes......and curry sauce, although fairly sure they have that down south as well.

Burney
11-27-2018, 04:08 PM

Its a gloopy joy, I assure you.

Sir C
11-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Its a gloopy joy, I assure you.

Fúck it, I'll do a poached salmon hollandaise. And chips. No mushy peas.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
11-27-2018, 05:08 PM
That's funny, because she always referred to you as, 'Chihuahua dick.'

I wonder what she meant by that?

the alliteration your mum.