PDA

View Full Version : In the pub on Saturday I witnessed a hate crime

Burney
11-12-2018, 05:12 PM
An Irish chap came in and someone had left something behind the bar for him, saying he had left it for ‘Guinness Mick’. To which said Irish chap said ‘Well at least that’s an improvement on ‘Irish Mick’”. To which the barman replied: “Well that’s pretty much covered by ‘Mick’ innit?”
Naturally, I was ready to call the police at this appalling racism, but was prevented from doing so by the fact that, rather than break down in tears of rage or taking to Twitter, the Irish chap simply laughed at the joke and carried on bantering amiably with everyone.
So, in other words, someone was in a position to portray himself the victim of a hate crime, but instead simply took a ‘joke’ in good part and as not as evidence of any ill-will or racial hatred.
Genuinely baffling behaviour. :shakehead:

Sir C
11-12-2018, 08:10 PM
An Irish chap came in and someone had left something behind the bar for him, saying he had left it for ‘Guinness Mick’. To which said Irish chap said ‘Well at least that’s an improvement on ‘Irish Mick’”. To which the barman replied: “Well that’s pretty much covered by ‘Mick’ innit?”
Naturally, I was ready to call the police at this appalling racism, but was prevented from doing so by the fact that, rather than break down in tears of rage or taking to Twitter, the Irish chap simply laughed at the joke and carried on bantering amiably with everyone.
So, in other words, someone was in a position to portray himself the victim of a hate crime, but instead simply took a ‘joke’ in good part and as not as evidence of any ill-will or racial hatred.

Tick Paddy innit.

IUFG
11-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Tick Paddy innit.

Here's one for you, sc

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/airline-pilot-wins-unfair-dismissal-claim-despite-fear-of-flying/

who would have thought that sacking a pilot with a fear of being trapped on an aeroplane would be unfair?
And he is seeking reinstatement. :rolleyes:

Sir C
11-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Here's one for you, sc

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/airline-pilot-wins-unfair-dismissal-claim-despite-fear-of-flying/

who would have thought that sacking a pilot with a fear of being trapped on an aeroplane would be unfair?
And he is seeking reinstatement. :rolleyes:

:clap: Marvellous, absolutely marvellous.

I know any number of pilots who suffer from fear and anxiety when they're rostered to throw a 200 ton aeroplane at a Greek island in the middle of the night with no radar cover, when their sleep patterns have been devastated by 3 days of mixed duties and they're dozing off in between desperately hoping the cloudbase is above Sector Safe Altitude when they get there... that's simply normal.

Luis Anaconda
11-13-2018, 10:00 AM

I know any number of pilots who suffer from fear and anxiety when they're rostered to throw a 200 ton aeroplane at a Greek island in the middle of the night with no radar cover, when their sleep patterns have been devastated by 3 days of mixed duties and they're dozing off in between desperately hoping the cloudbase is above Sector Safe Altitude when they get there... that's simply normal.
This is why it is always best to try to be more drunk than the pilot when you get on an aircraft. Hard work some times

Sir C
11-13-2018, 10:04 AM
This is why it is always best to try to be more drunk than the pilot when you get on an aircraft. Hard work some times

:nod: It's the coke fiends you want to worry about. Sleep patterns all to hell.

IUFG
11-13-2018, 10:09 AM
:nod: It's the coke fiends you want to worry about. Sleep patterns all to hell.

:nod: those coke fiends with their books and crosswords...

Sir C
11-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Remember me mentioning my friend and his being placed on 'performance wossname'? He got signed off for a couple of weeks with stress, went back to work, got ignored by his boss, flipped out and yesterday afternoon just walked out at lunchtime. Solicitor's appointment today. This is going to be fun. :hehe:

PSRB
11-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Can't believe they're trying to ban alcohol sales for early morning flights! As my glw will tell you, it's not the early morning flights that are the problem, it's the evening ones to Ibiza, Costas and Sunny beach (Bulgaria)

Luis Anaconda
11-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Can't believe they're trying to ban alcohol sales for early morning flights! As my glw will tell you, it's not the early morning flights that are the problem, it's the evening ones to Ibiza, Costas and Sunny beach (Bulgaria)

That makes sense. You can't really drink too much before a morning flight anyway. The late Sunday night flight back to Munich on the other hand :hide:

IUFG
11-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Remember me mentioning my friend and his being placed on 'performance wossname'? He got signed off for a couple of weeks with stress, went back to work, got ignored by his boss, flipped out and yesterday afternoon just walked out at lunchtime. Solicitor's appointment today. This is going to be fun. :hehe:

Well, they should give him chance to 'explain' all that happened in a fit of pique.
OR, that's it and the gloves are off.

Enjoy the fireworks!

Sir C
11-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Well, they should give him chance to 'explain' all that happened in a fit of pique.

Enjoy the fireworks!

It sounds as if they're shítting themselves now. It seems that the initial interview with his boss that started the whole thing off was something of a blunder.

Fúck me, they're going to have to pay him a fortune to go quietly and he'll walk straight into another director's job :clap:

Luis Anaconda
11-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Enjoy the fireworks!

Can my company force me to wrote about alcohol when I have a mild hangover, i? Trying to write about a champagne that costs a mere 115,000 of your Earth pounds

IUFG
11-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Can my company force me to wrote about alcohol when I have a mild hangover, i? Trying to write about a champagne that costs a mere 115,000 of your Earth pounds

I'd insist on some essential research before writing that piece, la

IUFG
11-13-2018, 10:34 AM
It sounds as if they're shítting themselves now. It seems that the initial interview with his boss that started the whole thing off was something of a blunder.

Fúck me, they're going to have to pay him a fortune to go quietly and he'll walk straight into another director's job :clap:

he would do well to throw in a 'breach of trust and confidence' complaint. That usually signals the end of the employment relationship and starts the negotiations.

SWv2
11-13-2018, 10:51 AM

We don't tend to get annoyed or angered by such trivial things though others do like to get annoyed on our behalf.

The outrage last summer when Ian Wright made an attempted joke about Roy Keane's accent for example. There was absolutely no outrage in Ireland about it though I did see some complete fúcking melts getting annoyed on Twitter.

PSRB
11-13-2018, 11:03 AM
We don't tend to get annoyed or angered by such trivial things though others do like to get annoyed on our behalf.

The outrage last summer when Ian Wright made an attempted joke about Roy Keane's accent for example. There was absolutely no outrage in Ireland about it though I did see some complete fúcking melts getting annoyed on Twitter.

"Melts"? Disappointingly Jamie Redknapp

Pat Vegas
11-13-2018, 11:16 AM

I was in the cockpit of an A380 last week.
Doesn't seem like much fun. Cramped and like a video game.
the little room to have a kip is grim too.

SWv2
11-13-2018, 11:19 AM
"Melts"? Disappointingly Jamie Redknapp

I believe it is the common parlance??

Are we saying that Jamie Redknapp uses this on his Sky Super Sunday analysis?

eastgermanautos
11-13-2018, 11:23 AM
I was in the cockpit of an A380 last week.
Doesn't seem like much fun. Cramped and like a video game.
the little room to have a kip is grim too.

I love it when you say cockpit :love:

PSRB
11-13-2018, 11:32 AM
I believe it is the common parlance??

Are we saying that Jamie Redknapp uses this on his Sky Super Sunday analysis?

He uses it all the time on a League of their own......yes, yes, I shouldn't be watching that.

davidwebb
01-14-2019, 09:42 AM

I know any number of pilots who suffer from fear and anxiety when they're rostered to throw a 200 ton aeroplane at a Greek island in the middle of the night with no radar (https://www.darsaal.com/dictionary/english-to-urdu/radar.html) cover, when their sleep patterns have been devastated by 3 days of mixed duties and they're dozing off in between desperately hoping the cloudbase is above Sector Safe Altitude when they get there... that's simply normal.

No doubt... hats off for the pilots... many unknown heroes gave their lives in such horrible conditions and situations.

7sisters
01-14-2019, 09:58 AM

There was a documentary on Adrian Chiles last night called, the drink and me. He was basically you, but possibly with a bit more wealth and notoriety.

Rich
01-14-2019, 11:10 AM
No doubt... hats off for the pilots... many unknown heroes gave their lives in such horrible conditions and situations.

Are you a pilot, David? And an Arsenal fan?