PDA

View Full Version : Underrated classics:

Sir C
11-12-2018, 02:43 PM
A Star is Born (The Streisand/Kristopherson one)

Grosse Point Blank

Sleepy Hollow

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Witchfinder General

Don't @ me.

Burney
11-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Grosse Point Blank

Sleepy Hollow

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Witchfinder General

Don't @ me.

Ignoring A Star Is Born, the only one I'd vaguely dispute there would be Sleepy Hollow, but it is repeatedly watchable and I'll give it a pass because young Christina Ricci (when she was chunky) gave me a funny feeling in my tummy (see The Opposite Of Sex).

For me:

Southern Comfort
Tunes Of Glory
Oliver!
Master And Commander

Sir C
11-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Ignoring A Star Is Born, the only one I'd vaguely dispute there would be Sleepy Hollow, but it is repeatedly watchable and I'll give it a pass because young Christina Ricci (when she was chunky) gave me a funny feeling in my tummy (see The Opposite Of Sex).

For me:

Southern Comfort
Tunes Of Glory
Oliver!
Master And Commander

Good call on Tunes of Glory. I havebn't seen it for years but will order the DVD straight away.

Southern Comfort I've never seen. How bizarre.

7sisters
11-12-2018, 04:39 PM
No country for old men.
Dead mans shoes

Burney
11-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Good call on Tunes of Glory. I havebn't seen it for years but will order the DVD straight away.

Southern Comfort I've never seen. How bizarre.

For my money, it's John Mills' finest hour. Also, the young Susannah York. :love:

Guinness goes miles over the top and his accent doesn't bear close scrutiny, but even that's quite splendid.

Not having seen Southern Comfort seems both a serious oversight on your part and - given its ubiquity on telly in the 80s and 90s - virtually impossible. Top, top work by Powers Boothe.

Sir C
11-12-2018, 04:58 PM
No country for old men.
Dead mans shoes

I didn't like that man in No Country For Old Men. He didn't have a kind face.

Burney
11-12-2018, 05:07 PM
I didn't like that man in No Country For Old Men. He didn't have a kind face.

I didn't understand why he was murdering people with a bicycle pump. :shrug:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
11-13-2018, 12:45 AM

Grosse Point Blank

Sleepy Hollow

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Witchfinder General

Don't @ me.

Miss MacKenzie by Trollope. Never heard of it before but found it on Radio iPlayer. The missus and I loved it. Highly recommended but only a few days left.

WES
11-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Sleuth

Not that it isn't rated highly, but it is rarely mentioned when people talk about truly great movies and I really fail to see it in any other light.

Olivier at his best.