PDA

View Full Version : Well that was pretty wânk, wasn't it?

Burney
11-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Loads of possession and we were still lucky to scrape a draw. Still can't beat a top 4 side.

Same old shìt, different wrapper.

Emery OUT.

Rich
11-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Loads of possession and we were still lucky to scrape a draw. Still can't beat a top 4 side.

Emery OUT.

Didn't watch but heard it was an even game that we potentially edged? Nice finish from Lacazette too, I'm told.

IUFG
11-05-2018, 09:46 AM

Emery OUT.

Liverpool are a very good side, b.

I thought we played very well. That level of energy and pressing hasn't been in an Arsenal side since GG's days.

Fúck the bindippers and their disallowed goal :-D

Also, the best atmos at the ground for a long, long time imo

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
11-05-2018, 09:50 AM

Emery OUT.

Nope. We'd have lost that 4-1 under the SFC :thumbup:

Burney
11-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Didn't watch but heard it was an even game that we potentially edged? Nice finish from Lacazette too, I'm told.

We were horribly fragile at the back and woefully profligate in front of goal. Also, Leno is a total fùcking clown - it's like having Almunia back.

eastgermanautos
11-05-2018, 09:56 AM

Don't listen to the bad man, Rich.

IUFG
11-05-2018, 09:59 AM
We were horribly fragile at the back and woefully profligate in front of goal. Also, Leno is a total fùcking clown - it's like having Almunia back.

Like Almunia? :nono:

http://www.awimb.com/showthread.php?606500

Sir C
11-05-2018, 09:59 AM

Emery OUT.

We played pretty well, I thought. There were definite signs of what he's trying to do. There is definitely potential in this midfield pairing of Torreira and Xhaka.

Given what might have happened, I think Emery's start has been hugely encouraging.

You would do well top offer him some respect, b, for that is The Arsenal way.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Nope. We'd have lost that 4-1 under the SFC :thumbup:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42362392

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32097847

Burney
11-05-2018, 10:02 AM
We played pretty well, I thought. There were definite signs of what he's trying to do. There is definitely potential in this midfield pairing of Torreira and Xhaka.

Given what might have happened, I think Emery's start has been hugely encouraging.

NEVER! :shakehead:

11-05-2018, 10:05 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37001073

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40990427

11-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Well said Sir C :thumbup: :clap: Wenger Out indeed :-)

Sir C
11-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Well said Sir C :thumbup: :clap: Wenger Out indeed :-)

You can take your Wenger Out and poke it up your hoop, 71.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 10:11 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37001073

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40990427

You're the one claiming 1 point from 3 big games is progress :shrug:

11-05-2018, 10:15 AM
You're the one claiming 1 point from 3 big games is progress :shrug:

:shrug: would you have been happier if we had lost just to prove a point? Given that everybody is salivating over Liverpool especially this season and their undoubted forward line, I do think that result is progress for us. Don't get me wrong - I still think we'll find it difficult to get top 4 given the quality of the other sides but we are heading in the 'right' direction surely?

PSRB
11-05-2018, 10:25 AM

I thought we played really well :shrug: Ozil was excellent, Torriera, Holding, Mustafi all very good. Xhaka was MotM for us but though VvD for them was the best player on the pitch, huge difference he's made to their defence.

Billy Goat Sverige
11-05-2018, 10:33 AM

He made one mistake when he came out and missed it and the Liverpool chap hit the post with his header. On their goal he did the correct thing and were it not for Holding sticking his leg out and deflecting it into Milner’s path we’d not be talking about it.

PSRB
11-05-2018, 10:38 AM
He made one mistake when he came out and missed it and the Liverpool chap hit the post with his header. On their goal he did the correct thing and were it not for Holding sticking his leg out and deflecting it into Milner’s path we’d not be talking about it.

:nod: I really like him, young, great distribution and already made several brilliant saves. The one against VvD was superb.

Rich
11-05-2018, 10:40 AM
:nod: I really like him, young, great distribution and already made several brilliant saves. The one against VvD was superb.

He's a poor man's Jordan Pickford. Why can we not have Pickford :-(

Monty92
11-05-2018, 10:40 AM
:shrug: would you have been happier if we had lost just to prove a point? Given that everybody is salivating over Liverpool especially this season and their undoubted forward line, I do think that result is progress for us. Don't get me wrong - I still think we'll find it difficult to get top 4 given the quality of the other sides but we are heading in the 'right' direction surely?

I don't disagree with a word of that :shrug:

Just pointing out how ridiculous it is to compare him to Wenger at this point, especially when Wenger's recent record in big games was arguably better.

Last season we drew at home with Liverpool towards the end of the year in game that saw us play some scintilating football only to be undone by defensive ****tness, and finished the game in 5th place, some way off the top. If there has been progress, it's been very, very tentative :shrug:

Pat Vegas
11-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I don't know on here if people are actually annoyed or taking the piss. :shrug:

Pokster

Just pointing out how ridiculous it is to compare him to Wenger at this point, especially when Wenger's recent record in big games was arguably better.

I tyake it that means his record in "lesser" games is much better than AW's then? So progress does seem to have been made

PSRB
He's a poor man's Jordan Pickford. Why can we not have Pickford :-(

I like Pickford but he's too short. Leno will be our no.1 for the next 5+ years and he'll get better and better

Rich
11-05-2018, 10:43 AM

Our issue was consistently dropping points against teams in the bottom half of the table. Well, that and not being able to compete with the best teams in the league.

Pokster
11-05-2018, 10:43 AM

b is just a miserable **** p

Pat Vegas
11-05-2018, 10:45 AM
b is just a miserable **** p

and monty is monty.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 10:47 AM
I tyake it that means his record in "lesser" games is much better than AW's then? So progress does seem to have been made

We're four points better off than we were at the same stage last season and have the same number of points as the season before.

We definitely haven't got any worse, I'll give you that :shrug:

Burney
11-05-2018, 10:55 AM

Well I can't speak for anyone else, f, but I'm taking the pìss in a somewhat annoyed fashion.

My take is simply that while Emery is demonstrating a decent level of competence and there are encouraging signs, the hype about him is unwarranted given that our overall position so far is no better this season than it was for years under Wenger.

It's all honeymoon period bóllocks, basically and we should judge him in May.

Pokster
11-05-2018, 10:56 AM
We're four points better off than we were at the same stage last season and have the same number of points as the season before.

So looking at those 2 facts, we are getting better... wd Monty for admitting progress has been made

Monty92
11-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Well I can't speak for anyone else, f, but I'm taking the pìss in a somewhat annoyed fashion.

My take is simply that while Emery is demonstrating a decent level of competence and there are encouraging signs, the hype about him is unwarranted given that our overall position so far is no better this season than it was for years under Wenger.

That speaks for me too. I think there's plenty to be optimistic about - even if it is simply the placebo of removing Wenger and much of the negativity that followed him towards the end. I'm more than ready to start looking forwards rather than backwards, but when people start absurdly comparing him with Wenger at this point I'll point it out :shrug:

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
11-05-2018, 10:59 AM

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/15/article-2628653-1DD94E8400000578-83_634x716.jpg

Burney
11-05-2018, 10:59 AM

I would say that it's reasonable that Emery would have as his goal for the first season CL football as a minimum benchmark of progress. Anything less than that and questions can very reasonably be asked, I think.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 11:00 AM
So looking at those 2 facts, we are getting better... wd Monty for admitting progress has been made

Progress so tentative it's barely worth pointing out other than to say "Well, at least we've not got worse".

In fact, that's arguably the biggest positive so far. We don't appear to be suffering an identity crisis, which could have been expected after Wenger left. The players looked energised pretty much from Emery's first match.

Pat Vegas
11-05-2018, 11:02 AM
One thing I have 100% noticed is the energy and tempo appears to have increased.
We also seem to keep our heads up when we concede.

I think it was Kolosinac laying on the floor after the Liverpool goal. somebody picked him up immediately.

Sir C
11-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Progress so tentative it's barely worth pointing out other than to say "Well, at least we've not got worse".

In fact, that's the biggest positive so far. We don't appear to be suffering an identity crisis, which could have been expected after he left.

What nonsense is this? What 'progress' could one reasonably expect? It was clear that he was going to have to dismantle the tacts, the training, the preparation - everything that Wenger instigated over 20 years, and rebuild it. We could reasonably have expected to have struggled at least for a season while he tried to build something new. Instead, we've played some decent stuff, beaten teams we might expect to beat, and played extremely well against one of the best two sides in the country and earnt a creditable draw.

I'd call that a remarkable beginning. Arsene doesn't need defending here. Arsene's gone.

Burney
11-05-2018, 11:04 AM

In fact, that's arguably the biggest positive so far. We don't appear to be suffering an identity crisis, which could have been expected after he left. The players looked energised pretty much from his first match.

I'd agree with that. It's no easy thing to follow a chap who'd been there 20 years and keep things on an even keel. David Moyes at United would be the obvious example. It could be argued that Emery has succeeded simply by virtue of not failing.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 11:07 AM
What nonsense is this? What 'progress' could one reasonably expect? It was clear that he was going to have to dismantle the tacts, the training, the preparation - everything that Wenger instigated over 20 years, and rebuild it. We could reasonably have expected to have struggled at least for a season while he tried to build something new. Instead, we've played some decent stuff, beaten teams we might expect to beat, and played extremely well against one of the best two sides in the country and earnt a creditable draw.

I'd call that a remarkable beginning. Arsene doesn't need defending here. Arsene's gone.

I think the fact that Wenger left under a pretty heavy and long-standing cloud means that us not imploding under the new fella is not quite as impressive as it would have been for, say, David Moyes, who took over a title winning team.

But I don't think we're in fierce disagreement here.

Burney
11-05-2018, 11:11 AM
I think the fact that Wenger left under a pretty heavy and long-standing cloud means that us not imploding under the new fella is not quite as impressive as it would have been for, say, David Moyes, who took over a title winning team.

But I don't think we're in fierce disagreement here.

:nod: You also have to factor in that the Wengerahti have quite a lot of capital invested in talking the new guy up, having been baying for AW's blood for the best part of a decade. That's meant that in effect, Josef Goebbels could have turned up and he'd have got a positive reception from them.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 11:14 AM
:nod: You also have to factor in that the Wengerahti have quite a lot of capital invested in talking the new guy up, having been baying for AW's blood for the best part of a decade. That's meant that in effect, Josef Goebbels could have turned up and he'd have got a positive reception from them.

Indeed. Compare the reaction to when Wenger occasionally played Aubameyang on the wing to when Emery does it.

And can you imagine if Wenger had played Xhaha or Iwobi at left back? :hehe:

Viva Prat Vegas
11-05-2018, 11:29 AM
:nod:
Wenger played Reiss-Nelson there instead

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
11-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Indeed. Compare the reaction to when Wenger occasionally played Aubameyang on the wing to when Emery does it.

European Silverware. Emery 3-0 Wenger

In fact Emery 3-2 Arsenal

:hide:

Monty92
11-05-2018, 11:41 AM
European Silverware. Emery 3-0 Wenger

In fact Emery 3-2 Arsenal

:hide:

Yes, although if Wenger had been competing in the UEFA Cup, rather than the Champions League, for two decades, he might have picked up a few himself too.

Pokster
11-05-2018, 11:43 AM

If it had turned out as well as it has then he would have been praised... Iwobi at LB worked brilliantly as he helped push them back and set up the goal

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
11-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Yes, although if Wenger had been competing in the UEFA Cup, rather than the Champions League, for two decades, he might have picked up a few himself too.

I don't know. You had to beat the likes of the mighty Galatasaray and Paok Salonika.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 11:47 AM
If it had turned out as well as it has then he would have been praised... Iwobi at LB worked brilliantly as he helped push them back and set up the goal

And when it didn't, it would be used as evidence of his senile French ****ery.

Whereas when Xhaka costs us the game against Palace, not a peep.

PSRB
11-05-2018, 11:48 AM
I would say that it's reasonable that Emery would have as his goal for the first season CL football as a minimum benchmark of progress. Anything less than that and questions can very reasonably be asked, I think.

I'm happy with Top 6 this year but then it must be top 4, if not challenging for the title.

Pat Vegas
11-05-2018, 11:49 AM
And when it didn't, it would be used as evidence of his senile French ****ery.

Whereas when Xhaka costs us the game against Palace, not a peep.

seems unfair to blame someone for standing in a position where a player pretends to run into him.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 11:51 AM
seems unfair to blame someone for standing in a position where a player pretends to run into him.

His body position smacked of a midfielder, not a left back.

IUFG
11-05-2018, 11:53 AM

There are two turds that Emery has polished up quite nicely. So to speak.

Wenger couldn't even roll them in glitter.

Rich
11-05-2018, 12:31 PM
I'm happy with Top 6 this year but then it must be top 4, if not challenging for the title.

I feel as though we need to moderate your expectations here. Challenging for the title next season... :hehe:

PSRB
11-05-2018, 12:40 PM
I feel as though we need to moderate your expectations here. Challenging for the title next season... :hehe:

Why not? Liverpool are apparently challengers, we'll have 2 more transfer windows and a season to bed Emery's tactics in.

Luis Anaconda
11-05-2018, 12:44 PM
I'd agree with that. It's no easy thing to follow a chap who'd been there 20 years and keep things on an even keel. David Moyes at United would be the obvious example. It could be argued that Emery has succeeded simply by virtue of not failing.
:nod: I think the desire to build Emery up partially stems from the fact that people said Wenger was leaving the club in a terrible state, which will take years to fix it when in fact. Rather than admit that was complete *******s and Wenger still had eyes on the long-term good of the club, they make Emery out to be a miracle worker (I do like him but there is some over-the-top praise, I do admit). Compared to the state that Ferguson left United in (admittedly as champions), Arsene didn't leave us so badly off

Burney
Why not? Liverpool are apparently challengers, we'll have 2 more transfer windows and a season to bed Emery's tactics in.

I do find it very odd that Manchester City look so much better than any other side I've seen this season and aren't further ahead.

Luis Anaconda

Remember Rich is a bit of a ****, p

PSRB
11-05-2018, 12:45 PM
I do find it very odd that Manchester City look so much better than any other side I've seen this season and aren't further ahead.

2 other unbeaten teams, though.

£2.7bn over 7 years, just goes to show what a load of nonsense FFP was/is.

Luis Anaconda
11-05-2018, 12:45 PM
His body position smacked of a midfielder, not a left back.
Which to be fair, he admitted as much didn't he and said it was a pen?

WES
11-05-2018, 01:22 PM
:nod: I think the desire to build Emery up partially stems from the fact that people said Wenger was leaving the club in a terrible state, which will take years to fix it when in fact. Rather than admit that was complete *******s and Wenger still had eyes on the long-term good of the club, they make Emery out to be a miracle worker (I do like him but there is some over-the-top praise, I do admit). Compared to the state that Ferguson left United in (admittedly as champions), Arsene didn't leave us so badly off

Hmmm - this 'Wenger is leaving the club in a terrible state' is not a narrative I particularly remember. I think the feeling was more that we had good enough players and enough money that we should be challenging for the league more often and winning the odd pot, not declining each year as was the case for the past few years. Throw in the lack of progress by many of the younger players and it felt like it he was not making the most of what was available to him.

Of course it's only been 16 games or so but not only has Emery implemented a new way of playing, we're within 6 points of the top of the table almost a third of the way into a season where the top 3 teams are on unprecedented runs. ManU won the league with 79 points in 99 and we might have 3 teams with more than 80 as it stands. Plus, we're seeing improvements in younger players (Holding, Iwobi, Bellerin etc) and tactical adjustments/substitutions that seemed to never happen under Wenger. All in all it's just a great start that everyone should be excited about.

If anyone feels the need to endlessly compare this to Wenger, rather than celebrate what he brought us while looking forward to what we can achieve under Unai, they probably are on a wind up (Burney) or in need of a life (Monty).

:-)

Luis Anaconda
11-05-2018, 01:30 PM
Hmmm - this 'Wenger is leaving the club in a terrible state' is not a narrative I particularly remember. I think the feeling was more that we had good enough players and enough money that we should be challenging for the league more often and winning the odd pot, not declining each year as was the case for the past few years. Throw in the lack of progress by many of the younger players and it felt like it he was not making the most of what was available to him.

Of course it's only been 16 games or so but not only has Emery implemented a new way of playing, we're within 6 points of the top of the table almost a third of the way into a season where the top 3 teams are on unprecedented runs. ManU won the league with 79 points in 99 and we might have 3 teams with more than 80 as it stands. Plus, we're seeing improvements in younger players (Holding, Iwobi, Bellerin etc) and tactical adjustments/substitutions that seemed to never happen under Wenger. All in all it's just a great start that everyone should be excited about.

If anyone feels the need to endlessly compare this to Wenger, rather than celebrate what he brought us while looking forward to what we can achieve under Unai, they probably are on a wind up (Burney) or in need of a life (Monty).

:-)

I don't disagree with much of that bar the first point - this is just a token headline from an article in the Sunday Times

"Pity the poor manager who has to rebuild Arsenal when Arsène Wenger goes" - there were quite a few articles like that and then factor in the more vile abuse from some of the Wenger outers about him ruining the club (along with Ivan and Stan). Of course, not all people who wanted him out were of this mind but there was certainly a lot of them.

Monty92
11-05-2018, 01:39 PM
I don't disagree with much of that bar the first point - this is just a token headline from an article in the Sunday Times

"Pity the poor manager who has to rebuild Arsenal when Arsène Wenger goes" - there were quite a few articles like that and then factor in the more vile abuse from some of the Wenger outers about him ruining the club (along with Ivan and Stan). Of course, not all people who wanted him out were of this mind but there was certainly a lot of them.

Indeed, the phrase "managed decline" became part of the anti-Wenger lexicon over the past few years

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wenger+%22managed+decline%22&oq=wenger+%22managed+decline%22&aqs=chrome..69i57.3912j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

WES
11-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Indeed, the phrase "managed decline" became part of the anti-Wenger lexicon over the past few years

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wenger+%22managed+decline%22&oq=wenger+%22managed+decline%22&aqs=chrome..69i57.3912j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You can argue that Arsenal were in decline (the results indicated that that was clearly true) without arguing that Wenger was leaving the club in a terrible state. It depends on how bad he was at managing the players and money available to him. :-)

Not sure how anyone can suggest that Arsenal as a club weren't far ahead of where we were when he arrived. In fact, virtually every analysis of his performance - no matter how bad - started with 'let's not forget what he has done for this club but...'

7sisters
11-05-2018, 01:59 PM
You can argue that Arsenal were in decline (the results indicated that that was clearly true) without arguing that Wenger was leaving the club in a terrible state. It depends on how bad he was at managing the players and money available to him. :-)

Not sure how anyone can suggest that Arsenal as a club weren't far ahead of where we were when he arrived. In fact, virtually every analysis of his performance - no matter how bad - started with 'let's not forget what he has done for this club but...'

Didn’t Wenger also become mired in effectively doing a job which is carried out by 3 or 4 people at most other clubs ?
Emery has been left to purely coach the players, whereas, reports claim that AW left the players to work out playing solutions amongst themselves ...

SWv2
11-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Not sure why Leno is getting so much stick on the goal.

Failure to hold the cross or failure to clear it into a better position, I saw somewhere a suggestion that he should simply have allowed it go across the goal without interference as Salah was not getting to it.

It was the very unfortunate slight touch off Holding which presented the ball to Milner else it was likely Kolasinac would have dealt with it.

I see nothing but tangible grounds for optimism right through the team.

Luis Anaconda
11-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Just read this comment in a piece supposedly praising our performance on Saturday " The water damage caused by Wenger’s decline will take years to reverse". Admittedly by one of the worst football writers I have ever read

7sisters
11-05-2018, 02:35 PM

Just read this comment in a piece supposedly praising our performance on Saturday " The water damage caused by Wenger’s decline will take years to reverse". Admittedly by one of the worst football writers I have ever read

Water damage ? How about, ‘rusting effect’ or perhaps, ‘malignant carcinoma’ .... Jesus. Journo’s eh ?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-05-2018, 02:37 PM

There is hype?

SWv2
11-05-2018, 03:07 PM
There is hype?

Media began to lose the run of itself a little pre-Palace with premature talk of smashing club records.

Perhaps in a rush to crown the man who many / some predicted, or hoped as the case with Monty and his type, would fail.

Certainly a B+ on his report card at this stage.

WES
11-05-2018, 03:21 PM

Good lord, going to tell us who that muppet is?

He certainly isn't representative of the football writers I read. :shrug:

PSRB
11-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Good lord, going to tell us who that muppet is?

He certainly isn't representative of the football writers I read. :shrug:

Jonathan Liew, I assume. LA hates him

Luis Anaconda
11-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Jonathan Liew, I assume. LA hates him

Daniel Storey on F365 - all stats and no substance.

Actually completely reversed my opinion on Jonathan Liew - enjoy a lot of his stuff (probably more non-football) and he is quite engaging on Twitter

PSRB
11-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Daniel Storey on F365 - all stats and no substance.

Actually completely reversed my opinion on Jonathan Liew - enjoy a lot of his stuff (probably more non-football) and he is quite engaging on Twitter

Generally the only decent read on there is Mediawatch, such as this little piece.......
Right-back to where you started from…
Trent Alexander-Arnold was awful on Saturday. Like really awful. He was targeted by Arsenal from the opening whistle. The Daily Mail generously gave him 6/10, rating Fabinho as the only less accomplished player at the Emirates.

So of course Daily Mail columnist Jamie Redknapp put him in his Team of the Week.

There was literally a better right-back on the other side of the pitch, Jamie. But then you never played for Arsenal…

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Media began to lose the run of itself a little pre-Palace with premature talk of smashing club records.

Perhaps in a rush to crown the man who many / some predicted, or hoped as the case with Monty and his type, would fail.

Certainly a B+ on his report card at this stage.

In my opinion, the team is performing around about where they should be which, imvho, is in stark contrast to the previous 2-3 seasons where the same-ish players woefully under performed. Does that make Emery a genius or does that highlight a legend of the club that had sadly lost his way?

SWv2
11-06-2018, 12:55 PM
In my opinion, the team is performing around about where they should be which, imvho, is in stark contrast to the previous 2-3 seasons where the same-ish players woefully under performed. Does that make Emery a genius or does that highlight a legend of the club that had sadly lost his way?

It can be both as Emery has come into a new role with new players, to him and also new to the club, and performed admirably and has given all genuine hope for the future (which I am not sure was the case any longer with AW).