PDA

View Full Version : Shake Shack

Sir C
10-23-2018, 12:33 PM
I've just had a Shake Shack buirger. It had crispy shallots in it.

It was a bit weird.

Rich
10-23-2018, 12:48 PM
I've just had a Shake Shack buirger. It had crispy shallots in it.

It was a bit weird.

:-( I went to Five Guys last week. I was expecting a thick, handmade patty made from good quality beef. You know, the type that, if cooked correctly, are still pink and juicy within.

What I actually received was a piece of 'beef' that was less than 1cm thick & tasted of little else but grease.

Which chain does the best medium rare burgers?

7sisters
10-23-2018, 01:11 PM
:-( I went to Five Guys last week. I was expecting a thick, handmade patty made from good quality beef. You know, the type that, if cooked correctly, are still pink and juicy within.

What I actually received was a piece of 'beef' that was less than 1cm thick & tasted of little else but grease.

Which chain does the best medium rare burgers?

:nono: You should never entertain medium rare burgers r. It's all to do with minced meat.This is because bacteria, such as salmonella, listeria and e-coli, lives on the outside of meat so searing steaks and cuts of beef and lamb would kill anything harmful, even when it's still pink inside.
But as burgers are minced up those bugs that were on the outside are then on the inside and therefore should be cooked thoroughly.

Pokster
10-23-2018, 01:24 PM
:nono: You should never entertain medium rare burgers r. It's all to do with minced meat.This is because bacteria, such as salmonella, listeria and e-coli, lives on the outside of meat so searing steaks and cuts of beef and lamb would kill anything harmful, even when it's still pink inside.
But as burgers are minced up those bugs that were on the outside are then on the inside and therefore should be cooked thoroughly.

:redcard: you do realise you are talking to R don't you... you might have just saved him form a painful death

Rich
10-23-2018, 01:28 PM

Nope. So long as the meat is heated to 120F throughout, all the bacteria will be dead.

Burney
10-23-2018, 01:30 PM

...and yet I and millions of others managed to eat medium rare burgers for years without any problem before this sort of supremely queer and cowardly fussbucketry became commonly-accepted wisdom. :rolleyes:

Honestly, people are such fannies these days.

7sisters
10-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Nope. So long as the meat is heated to 120F throughout, all the bacteria will be dead.

Well, you may want to put your faith in fast food establishments to actually carry that out but I'd prefer to play safe.

AFC East
10-23-2018, 01:37 PM
...and yet I and millions of others managed to eat medium rare burgers for years without any problem before this sort of supremely queer and cowardly fussbucketry became commonly-accepted wisdom. :rolleyes:

Indeed....

Rich
10-23-2018, 01:58 PM

My local still asks how I would like my burger cooked :cloud9: I'm pleased that they refuse to bow down to the food police.

WES
10-23-2018, 02:13 PM
5 Guys is ace. A truly wonderful burger.

Shake Shack is ok, but no more.

That is all that matters, really. :shrug:

Sir C
10-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Five Guys serves a restaurant-quality burger in a fast food environment at a restaurant price.

This confuses, saddens and enrages me.

Rich
10-23-2018, 02:27 PM

I think GBK and Byron are the only two that do a true burger.

Sir C
10-23-2018, 02:29 PM
I think GBK and Byron are the only two that do a true burger.

Joe Allen's famous 'secret' off menu burger is not to be sniffed at.

eastgermanautos
10-23-2018, 04:04 PM

Five Guys is too much. It's too much. You feel like you're going to get attacked in your heart after eating one. Not overly impressed with the gimmickry of Shake Shack but their burgers ain't bad. We have this chain called In-and-Out Burger on the West Coast and it's highly doable. Very decent!

SWv2
10-23-2018, 04:12 PM
Five Guys serves a restaurant-quality burger in a fast food environment at a restaurant price.

So restaurant quality and restaurant price. I don't see the issue here.

You're not going to eat the thing using a knife and fork so what exactly is the complaint?

Rich
10-23-2018, 04:22 PM

You're not going to eat the thing using a knife and fork so what exactly is the complaint?

Because you are forced to eat in a fast food style establishment. Clearly this is sub-optimal and so a discount in the price should be provided.

Sir C
10-23-2018, 06:20 PM

You wouldn’t understand, you feral peasant.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
10-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Five Guys is too much. It's too much. You feel like you're going to get attacked in your heart after eating one. Not overly impressed with the gimmickry of Shake Shack but their burgers ain't bad. We have this chain called In-and-Out Burger on the West Coast and it's highly doable. Very decent!

I had an In and Out burger last week in Vegas. Not bad but not as good as Five Guys. Then again, Five Guys is not as good as GBK here in the UK.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
10-23-2018, 07:56 PM

Five Guys is good but you get so many fries that you cannot eat them. GBK is still my favourite by a distance.

Don't get me started on Bleecker Burger.

AFC East
10-23-2018, 09:24 PM
InO is okay for the price. It’s cheaper than Five Guys and tastes it. Liberty Burger is a level above all of these, but alas hasn’t escaped Texas yet. I keep hoping.

eastgermanautos
10-24-2018, 12:44 AM
I had an In and Out burger last week in Vegas. Not bad but not as good as Five Guys. Then again, Five Guys is not as good as GBK here in the UK.

What, pray tell, is GBK?

eastgermanautos
10-24-2018, 12:46 AM
InO is okay for the price. It’s cheaper than Five Guys and tastes it. Liberty Burger is a level above all of these, but alas hasn’t escaped Texas yet. I keep hoping.

I think you're unfairly slamming what is the basic aesthetic of In and Out. It's a burger joint, a stand. It's not trying to do fine or family dining. It's not Applebee's.

Amongst the Midwestern variants, I like Steak and Shake.

IUFG
10-24-2018, 07:30 AM
What, pray tell, is GBK?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gbk

eastgermanautos
10-24-2018, 08:44 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gbk

:hehe: All jesting aside, that does look pretty decent.

AFC East
10-24-2018, 10:19 AM
I’m not really slamming it. Just calling it out for what it is. A Californian Cult of ordinary burgers.

IUFG
10-24-2018, 10:26 AM
I’m not really slamming it. Just calling it out for what it is. A Californian Cult of ordinary burgers.

Fatburger is great. Well the ones in Hollywood were.

The Camden one is ok, but expensive.

SWv2
10-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Because you are forced to eat in a fast food style establishment. Clearly this is sub-optimal and so a discount in the price should be provided.

You are not forced to do anything you fúcking clown.

Pokster
10-24-2018, 12:40 PM
:hehe: All jesting aside, that does look pretty decent.

GBK is going bust isn't it

Sir C
10-24-2018, 12:41 PM
You are not forced to do anything you fúcking clown.

There's no need to be rude, is there?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
10-24-2018, 12:41 PM
I think you're unfairly slamming what is the basic aesthetic of In and Out. It's a burger joint, a stand. It's not trying to do fine or family dining. It's not Applebee's.

Amongst the Midwestern variants, I like Steak and Shake.

I also went to a place called Wahlburger while in Vegas. Now that was f*ckin disappointing

SWv2
10-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Just trying to understand the issue old Dutch.

You admit and agree the burger to be restaurant standard and restaurant price, so all good so far. The surroundings? Yes they leave a little to be desired if the Dublin branches are the norm, but one knows in advance it is a burger joint and thus one won't get white starched table cloths and waiter service though I know some such as Byron do this.

FG is expensive, there is no doubt about that. But it's good for what it is which is largely a gimmick.

Byron is better. Bunsen here is better.

The snivelling little pretend Doctor tosser jumping in to lick your anal passage and defend your stance simply reflects poorly on all.

I ex

Sir C
10-24-2018, 12:52 PM

You admit and agree the burger to be restaurant standard and restaurant price, so all good so far. The surroundings? Yes they leave a little to be desired if the Dublin branches are the norm, but one knows in advance it is a burger joint and thus one won't get white starched table cloths and waiter service though I know some such as Byron do this.

FG is expensive, there is no doubt about that. But it's good for what it is which is largely a gimmick.

The snivelling little pretend Doctor tosser jumping in to lick your anal passage and defend your stance simply reflects poorly on all.

I ex

This Five Guys burger I had tasted slightly strange. Did I choose badly or do they all taste a bit odd?

SWv2
10-24-2018, 12:57 PM
This Five Guys burger I had tasted slightly strange. Did I choose badly or do they all taste a bit odd?

No idea what you had mate.

I go for the large bacon cheeseburger all in (which is all the free toppings on offer). Never fails to hit the spot.

It's a burger and a good one, and as hangover sort you outs go it is up there.

Damn pricey mind you. I took both kids there a while back as Mrs SW had ****ed off for the weekend, nearly €50 it cost me all in. Could have walked out of McDonalds at half that price.

It is better than McDonalds of course but does it represent such a difference at twice the cost??

Sir C
10-24-2018, 01:02 PM
No idea what you had mate.

I go for the large bacon cheeseburger all in (which is all the free toppings on offer). Never fails to hit the spot.

It's a burger and a good one, and as hangover sort you outs go it is up there.

Damn pricey mind you. I took both kids there a while back as Mrs SW had ****ed off for the weekend, nearly €50 it cost me all in. Could have walked out of McDonalds at half that price.

It is better than McDonalds of course but does it represent such a difference at twice the cost??

Apologies, I said Five Guys when I meant Shake Shack. I had the Shackmeister, a single cheeseburger with crispy shallots. I suspect the shallots were a mistake.

I am often boggled at how expensive things are for people with kids.

Rich
10-24-2018, 01:21 PM

I ex

I defend no man without good reason. Here I was merely setting you straight when it appears that you could not comprehend an extremely basic concept. But then I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised...

Sir C
10-24-2018, 01:26 PM
I defend no man without good reason. Here I was merely setting you straight when it appears that you could not comprehend an extremely basic concept. But then I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised...

SWv2
10-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Oh, very good.

Sir C will be so proud of you. He might ruffle your hair.

Sir C
10-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Oh, very good.

Sir C will be so proud of you. He might ruffle your hair.

SWv2
10-24-2018, 01:31 PM

Oh come now, even you must be ever so slightly embarrassed by this pathetic little boys efforts to cosy up to you and become a virtual mini-me.

It reminds me of when my own kid was tiny and he would do what he could to copy me as we embarked on the typical son /father hero worship journey. Now he won’t even listen to The Jam unless he is forced to.

Sir C
10-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Oh come now, even you must be ever so slightly embarrassed by this pathetic little boys efforts to cosy up to you and become a virtual mini-me.

It reminds me of when my own kid was tiny and he would do what he could to copy me as we embarked on the typical son /father hero worship journey. Now he won’t even listen to The Jam unless he is forced to.

I fear you are mistaken, sw. He doesn't even like me. Remember how he refused to assist when my shoulders were so painful?

7sisters
10-24-2018, 01:43 PM
I also went to a place called Wahlburger while in Vegas. Now that was f*ckin disappointing

http://hacheburgers.com/

eastgermanautos
10-24-2018, 05:11 PM
http://hacheburgers.com/

Now see you've gone and jumped the shark. It shouldnt be a question of what place *has it in them* to generate a good burger. Sure, I mean, I go to frickin Chef Whatever the Fvck, he'll turn out a good burger. It's got to spring from the common experience, the popular idiom. Hence chains.

Having said that, you all will scoff, I know, when I say that Wendy's is quite solid. No really. Get the triple like me, fat basterds.