PDA

View Full Version : No Deal it is, then. :rubshands:

Sir C
10-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Time of great upheaval are times of opportunity for those unafraid to take advantage of the misery of others.

:rubshandsagainandcacklesabit:

Burney
10-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Time of great upheaval are times of opportunity for those unafraid to take advantage of the misery of others.

:nod: Like Noel Edmonds.

barrybueno
10-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Ramsey? Brexit? You and your milkman?

SWv2
10-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Did you not explain before to us that your business was in some way involved in the transit of motor cars to / from Europe?

Sir C
10-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Did you not explain before to us that your business was in some way involved in the transit of motor cars to / from Europe?

Under particular customs arrangements, yes. Who knows what further possibilities will present themselves?

(I haven't got the enrgy for it, if truth be told.)

Burney
10-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Under particular customs arrangements, yes. Who knows what further possibilities will present themselves?

At this stage - due to Theresa May being a thick cùnt and having backed herself into a binary choice between subjugating us to the EU in perpetuity and effectively breaking up the Union - No Deal seems like much the best option.

Honestly, that woman has been an utter disaster.

SWv2
10-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Nor I, truly cannot be fúcked.

A border in Ireland will be sad if it were to happen, I am old enough to remember it.

Ultimately it will be your innocent and unfortunate Customs officials who will be expected to police it (and security forces to protect them) who will suffer as well as the ordinary chap just going about his every day business with a lorry full of illegal diesel.

SWv2
10-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Is it impossible that these "particular customs arrangements" disappear altogether, your business collapses, you lose your home and end up on the street?

Sir C
10-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Nor I, truly cannot be fúcked.

A border in Ireland will be sad if it were to happen, I am old enough to remember it.

Ultimately it will be your innocent and unfortunate Customs officials who will be expected to police it (and security forces to protect them) who will suffer as well as the ordinary chap just going about his every day business with a lorry full of illegal diesel.

I'm not sure why they'll suffer, though. I mean, if you're a customs-type chappie, policing a border is sort of your job, isn't it? If you mad fúckers start blowing each other up again because there's a border, well, that's a bit stupid.

Sir C
10-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Is it impossible that these "particular customs arrangements" disappear altogether, your business collapses, you lose your home and end up on the street?

It's certainly possible that there might be no business to be done any more in my field, yes.

If that were the case I would simply fúck off and live a comfortable, if frugal, retirement. Indeed, such an outcome might be the spur I need to take my testes in both hands and have the courage to get the fúck off the treadmill.

SWv2
10-15-2018, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure why they'll suffer, though. I mean, if you're a customs-type chappie, policing a border is sort of your job, isn't it? If you mad fúckers start blowing each other up again because there's a border, well, that's a bit stupid.

More likely to blow up said customs official I would have thought.

Not that I am involved of course.

Sir C
10-15-2018, 10:35 AM
More likely to blow up said customs official I would have thought.

Not that I am involved of course.

Why would anyone, even a thick paddy, think it appropriate to blow up a customs oifficial?

It's just silly.

Peter
10-15-2018, 10:37 AM
At this stage - due to Theresa May being a thick cùnt and having backed herself into a binary choice between subjugating us to the EU in perpetuity and effectively breaking up the Union - No Deal seems like much the best option.

Honestly, that woman has been an utter disaster.

The thing is, No Deal doesnt actually help solve the border issue. It is still a problem.

Burney
10-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Why would anyone, even a thick paddy, think it appropriate to blow up a customs oifficial?

It's just silly.

The fact is that there are people in NI just itching to start killing people again and are desperate for an excuse to do so. The logic appears to be that we ought to be prepared to sacrifice our national sovereignty and unity in order to appease these fùcking worthless animals.

No. Me neither. :shrug:

Sir C
10-15-2018, 10:38 AM
The thing is, No Deal doesnt actually help solve the border issue. It is still a problem.

What's the problem? Ireland is in the EU, the UK isn't, so there will be a border. Like there is between countries everywhere on earth. :shrug:

Sir C
10-15-2018, 10:39 AM
The fact is that there are people in NI just itching to start killing people again and are desperate for an excuse to do so. The logic appears to be that we ought to be prepared to sacrifice our national sovereignty and unity in order to appease these fùcking worthless animals.

No. Me neither. :shrug:

Fúck 'em. If they want to slaughter each other, let them get on with it.

Burney
10-15-2018, 10:40 AM

For whom is it a problem, p? To the EU and their precious, sanctified single market - not to us.

If they want to impose a border, let them.

Peter
10-15-2018, 10:40 AM
What's the problem? Ireland is in the EU, the UK isn't, so there will be a border. Like there is between countries everywhere on earth. :shrug:

Well, yeah. So why not proceed on that basis and do a ****ing deal?

Sir C
10-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Well, yeah. So why not proceed on that basis and do a ****ing deal?

It's not up to me mate. I don't know who you think I am, but I'm not the King of Europe.

Peter
10-15-2018, 10:42 AM
For whom is it a problem, p? To the EU and their precious, sanctified single market - not to us.

If they want to impose a border, let them.

Hang on, I thought we were jumping up and down with excitement about being in control of our own borders.... apart from that one?

Wont all the nasty foreigners just land in Dublin and then enter the UK in the North before slowly making their way to your neighbourhood, and mine?

Peter
10-15-2018, 10:44 AM
It's not up to me mate. I don't know who you think I am, but I'm not the King of Europe.

My point is that it appears to be a problem and,m if it is, it isnt solved by leaving without a deal.

Burney
10-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Hang on, I thought we were jumping up and down with excitement about being in control of our own borders.... apart from that one?

Wont all the nasty foreigners just land in Dublin and then enter the UK in the North before slowly making their way to your neighbourhood, and mine?

Err...we would be in control of our borders. We'd be choosing to keep that one open - or not. And then we'd be entitled to set our own immigration and naturalisation laws that could control such things.

SWv2
10-15-2018, 10:46 AM

It's just silly.

Of course it is silly but he would be a symbol, or the most obvious recognisable symbol of the British Government which had forced the re-enforcement of the border on the island of Ireland.

Entirely innocent of course but then a lot of your casualties in the Troubles were.

Loads of nutters still mooching around, on both sides. Not sure they will be too arsed about fighting each other so your boys will be next in line. Nothing may ever happen, hopefully not, but the threat will be back for the first time in over 20 years or whatever.

Sad scenes.

Peter
10-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Err...we would be in control of our borders. We'd be choosing to keep that one open - or not. And then we'd be entitled to set our own immigration and naturalisation laws that could control such things.

So we would exercise our control of our border by not having a border? That makes a lot of sense :)

And how do you go about enforcing an immigration law without a border?

I believe others have considered some sort of wall in similar scenarios....

Burney
10-15-2018, 10:51 AM
Of course it is silly but he would be a symbol, or the most obvious recognisable symbol of the British Government which had forced the re-enforcement of the border on the island of Ireland.

Entirely innocent of course but then a lot of your casualties in the Troubles were.

Loads of nutters still mooching around, on both sides. Not sure they will be too arsed about fighting each other so your boys will be next in line. Nothing may ever happen, hopefully not, but the threat will be back for the first time in over 20 years or whatever.

Sad scenes.

I seriously doubt there is the political will or capability to support any sort of large-scale return to terrorism. There are no serious numbers interested in starting the Troubles up again. An entire generation has grown up in peace - you might get a couple of nutter dinosaurs blowing up fertiliser bombs or shooting at a customs official, but the chances of it going back to anything like the bad times is pretty much zero.

SWv2
10-15-2018, 10:59 AM
I seriously doubt there is the political will or capability to support any sort of large-scale return to terrorism. There are no serious numbers interested in starting the Troubles up again. An entire generation has grown up in peace - you might get a couple of nutter dinosaurs blowing up fertiliser bombs or shooting at a customs official, but the chances of it going back to anything like the bad times is pretty much zero.

100% bu t then even 1 isolated incident such as those above would be hugely regrettable in this day and age.

It is the isolated lunatics who can be the most dangerous.

Burney
10-15-2018, 10:59 AM
So we would exercise our control of our border by not having a border? That makes a lot of sense :)

First, you prevent them coming by making it not worth their while - no rights to employment, housing, welfare or health provision, etc, etc (as we'll be free to do when not in the EU). They'll soon fùck off back to the Republic - and if they don't, you physically deport them.
Also, you can impose stringent identity checks on such migrants to tell you who is or isn't in your country and severely limit their rights. They can also be prevented from travelling from NI to the mainland (as we used to with certain people during the Troubles).

Pat Vegas
10-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Keep NI open but have all people coming to the mainland subject to full customs.

Burney
10-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Keep NI open but have all people coming to the mainland subject to full customs.

This is what will almost certainly happen anyway. it's not as if we've never treated NI as an effectively separate country in the past anyway. We treat it as a special case all the time.

IUFG
10-15-2018, 12:19 PM
This is what will almost certainly happen anyway. it's not as if we've never treated NI as an effectively separate country in the past anyway. We treat it as a special case all the time.

Do adverts (especially those regarding insurance) still say "...excludes Northern Ireland"

I don't see too many adverts nowadays...

Peter
10-15-2018, 12:26 PM
First, you prevent them coming by making it not worth their while - no rights to employment, housing, welfare or health provision, etc, etc (as we'll be free to do when not in the EU). They'll soon fùck off back to the Republic - and if they don't, you physically deport them.
Also, you can impose stringent identity checks on such migrants to tell you who is or isn't in your country and severely limit their rights. They can also be prevented from travelling from NI to the mainland (as we used to with certain people during the Troubles).

This does raise the broader point of an effective border between the Republic and the rest of the UK, a border which has never really existed in any modern sense. This means I am going to have to show my passport tothat **** at Stansted. He is going to love this....

What you are really doing is leaving Northern Ireland open and keeping a mainland border. If a hard border on the island is unacceptable then this really is the only option.

I still dont see why this has to mean no deal. It sounds like *******s to me.

7sisters
10-15-2018, 12:34 PM

On the plus side SC, in true car trader tradition, how long will it take before those manufacturing RHD vehicles crack under the strain of an ever growing inventory, clogging up their storage fields and murdering their cash flows ?

Sir C
10-15-2018, 12:35 PM
On the plus side SC, in true car trader tradition, how long will it take before those manufacturing RHD vehicles crack under the strain of an ever growing inventory, clogging up their storage fields and murdering their cash flows ?

Their storage fields are currently filled to bursting as they try to import loads of stock to make some profit before they start getting charged import duties :hehe:

Burney
10-15-2018, 01:16 PM
This does raise the broader point of an effective border between the Republic and the rest of the UK, a border which has never really existed in any modern sense. This means I am going to have to show my passport tothat **** at Stansted. He is going to love this....

What you are really doing is leaving Northern Ireland open and keeping a mainland border. If a hard border on the island is unacceptable then this really is the only option.

I still dont see why this has to mean no deal. It sounds like *******s to me.

As with any 'intractable' diplomatic problem, it simply screams out for a fudge in which one thing is said and quite another done. So either an 'open' border which is actually manned or a 'hard' border that is not enforced. Unfortunately, there does seem to be too little flexibility or subtlety being shown by either side to achieve such a thing.

Peter
10-15-2018, 01:22 PM
As with any 'intractable' diplomatic problem, it simply screams out for a fudge in which one thing is said and quite another done. So either an 'open' border which is actually manned or a 'hard' border that is not enforced. Unfortunately, there does seem to be too little flexibility or subtlety being shown by either side to achieve such a thing.

Why cant they all just **** off and get on with it? Border, no border, who gives a ****.

Bunch of whining ****s.

Burney
10-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Why cant they all just **** off and get on with it? Border, no border, who gives a ****.

Bunch of whining ****s.

It's the Irish, I'm afraid. They can't be trusted to behave decently. Here we have the self-infantilisation of a naturally subject people swearing blind that unless they get what they want, they'll have no choice but to start blowing the legs off policemen again and it'll be none of their responsibility. It's fùcking pathetic.

As the Great Lady put it: "You can't trust the Irish. They are all liars."