PDA

View Full Version : Some cùnt on Twitter has just asserted that the bombings of Rotterdam and Dresden

Burney
10-10-2018, 11:51 AM
were morally equivalent. :-(

I had to point out that that logic only held good if you took the view that the Nazis' and the Allies' reasons for waging war were morally equivalent.

Seriously, what the fùck is wrong with people these days?

AFC East
10-10-2018, 12:11 PM
There have always been idiots, the internet just gives you a chance to encounter them more often.

Sir C
10-10-2018, 12:25 PM
There have always been idiots, the internet just gives you a chance to encounter them more often.

The problem is, the loonies get heard and their view gradually becomes mainstream. I mean, whilst we've always had nutters, we used to take it as read that a person with a ***** is a man, whatever he calls himself. Now the opinions of the mental cases are so widespread that a man calling himself Mildred is treated as a woman, and suggesting otherwise can be construed as a criminal offence.

Dear Lord, please snd a flood to wash away the filth with which we have covered your creation, amen.

Pokster
10-10-2018, 12:33 PM
The problem is, the loonies get heard and their view gradually becomes mainstream. I mean, whilst we've always had nutters, we used to take it as read that a person with a ***** is a man, whatever he calls himself. Now the opinions of the mental cases are so widespread that a man calling himself Mildred is treated as a woman, and suggesting otherwise can be construed as a criminal offence.

Dear Lord, please snd a flood to wash away the filth with which we have covered your creation, amen.

Meant be getting a bit of a flood this weekend aren't we... mainly causing havoc in Wales and Ireland, so you may get your wish

Arsenal Alcoholic Review
10-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Pretty much on par with holocaust.

redgunamo
10-11-2018, 07:08 AM

I had to point out that that logic only held good if you took the view that the Nazis' and the Allies' reasons for waging war were morally equivalent.

Nothing to do with logic, imo. It's about "Daddy Issues".

Everyone really just needs to grow up.

Starting with most of the grown-ups :-\

AFC East
10-11-2018, 08:30 AM
The problem is, the loonies get heard and their view gradually becomes mainstream.

I don't think they do, I can't think of something as obviously wrong as the Nazi/Allies equivalence view that has become mainstream. Can you?

As for the gender fluidity thing, I can't get excited about something that (as far as I can see) isn't really hurting anybody.

Sir C
10-11-2018, 08:34 AM
I don't think they do, I can't think of something as obviously wrong as the Nazi/Allies equivalence view that has become mainstream. Can you?

As for the gender fluidity thing, I can't get excited about something that (as far as I can see) isn't really hurting anybody.

Well, it's still socially unacceptable to wave a swastika around, but a hammer and sickle is apparently perfectly fine.

It's not that gender fluidity hurts anyone (except, of course, when people are persecuted for wrongthink) - it's that we are being bullied into accepting and repeating a lie.

A man in a dress is not a woman. I could be interviewed and possibly cautioned by the police for saying that. Don't you find that disturbing?

IUFG
10-11-2018, 08:40 AM
A man in a dress is not a woman.

:edgelord:

AFC East
10-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Well, it's still socially unacceptable to wave a swastika around, but a hammer and sickle is apparently perfectly fine.

It's not that gender fluidity hurts anyone (except, of course, when people are persecuted for wrongthink) - it's that we are being bullied into accepting and repeating a lie.

A man in a dress is not a woman. I could be interviewed and possibly cautioned by the police for saying that. Don't you find that disturbing?

Wasn't the hammer and sickle more popular 30 years ago than it is now? I think we are more aware of the atrocities committed by Stalin (and co) now, than we were in the 80s.

If someone was cautioned for saying a man in a dress isn't a woman (and no more) that would be disturbing. I agree. If it happened regularly, then we'd have a real problem.

Peter
10-11-2018, 09:36 AM

Are you not confusing two issues here? THe reasons for fighting a war and the manner in which you fight it.

For example, woulda mass genocide committed by the Allies have been morally acceptable on the grounds that Hitler was worse? I doubt it.

THe morality of bombing urban areas is not a new argument and has nothing to do with men wearing dresses. It was long debated at the time and retains some of the original concerns. I think bomber command is fairly open about the fact that one of the big reasons for switching from military targets to cities was that they weren't actually capable of hitting the military targets- youcant miss a city.

redgunamo
10-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Are you not confusing two issues here? THe reasons for fighting a war and the manner in which you fight it.

For example, woulda mass genocide committed by the Allies have been morally acceptable on the grounds that Hitler was worse? I doubt it.

THe morality of bombing urban areas is not a new argument and has nothing to do with men wearing dresses. It was long debated at the time and retains some of the original concerns. I think bomber command is fairly open about the fact that one of the big reasons for switching from military targets to cities was that they weren't actually capable of hitting the military targets- youcant miss a city.

Thin end of the wedge though, ain't it. Surely it's only a short step between that, and arguing that if that's the only way we can fight and win, it probably wasn't, and indeed, isn't, worth fighting in the first place and anyone who says different is basically a war criminal?

Peter
10-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Thin end of the wedge though, ain't it. Surely it's only a short step between that, and arguing that if that's the only way we can fight and win, it probably wasn't, and indeed, isn't, worth fighting in the first place and anyone who says different is basically a war criminal?

Maybe the notion of moral equivalence isnt terribly appropriate to war. It seems that once you have decided to fight a war it isnt going to help much if you sit around criticising the opposition's tactics.

We all have a go at the Germans (and rightly so) but as I understand it you were far better off being captured by them than the Japanese. Or even the Russians.

Pokster
10-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Maybe the notion of moral equivalence isnt terribly appropriate to war. It seems that once you have decided to fight a war it isnt going to help much if you sit around criticising the opposition's tactics.

We all have a go at the Germans (and rightly so) but as I understand it you were far better off being captured by them than the Japanese. Or even the Russians.

All's fair in love and war isn't it??

redgunamo
10-11-2018, 10:22 AM

I had a go at the Germans this morning actually. After about seven decades of marriage, this particular one is still claiming that eggs and bacon and baked beans on toast and a few beers is not a healthy breakfast.

One is sometimes forced to wonder if the Allies hearts were really in it :-\

Sir C
10-11-2018, 10:27 AM
I had a go at the Germans this morning actually. After about seven decades of marriage, this particular one is still claiming that eggs and bacon and baked beans on toast and a few beers is not a healthy breakfast.

I have a yearning for spaetzle with mushroom cream sauce. How would you feel about adding cheese to the spaetzle?

Peter
10-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Perhaps you took the idea of european integration a touch too far. We agreed to start talking to the Germans again. I am not sure anyone advised going as far as marrying one.

I have witnessed breakfast in Germany. Bread. Lots of bread.

Peter
10-11-2018, 10:29 AM
All's fair in love and war isn't it??

I have never fought a war but surely it cannot be as cruel, unpredictable and terrifying as a woman.....

Sir C
10-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Perhaps you took the idea of european integration a touch too far. We agreed to start talking to the Germans again. I am not sure anyone advised going as far as marrying one.

I have witnessed breakfast in Germany. Bread. Lots of bread.

Also often a surprising amount of fish. I don't mind a little smoked salmon in my scrambled eggs, but your average Kraut is happy to go the full Captain Birdseye at fruhstuckzeit.

Peter
10-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Also often a surprising amount of fish. I don't mind a little smoked salmon in my scrambled eggs, but your average Kraut is happy to go the full Captain Birdseye at fruhstuckzeit.

I recall cheeses. Rubbery, shiny cheeses.

redgunamo
10-11-2018, 10:50 AM
I have never fought a war but surely it cannot be as cruel, unpredictable and terrifying as a woman.....

You're quite right about that, hence everybody's Daddy Issues.

PSRB
10-11-2018, 11:04 AM

I rather like this on Twitter yesterday, which was World Mental Health Day
"20% of women in the UK now being treated for mental health issues" - That's a real worry because that means that the other 80% are running around untreated

Peter
10-11-2018, 11:21 AM

No wonder the gays are so proud. Smug *******s!

redgunamo
10-11-2018, 05:10 PM
I rather like this on Twitter yesterday, which was World Mental Health Day
"20% of women in the UK now being treated for mental health issues" - That's a real worry because that means that the other 80% are running around untreated

looooooooool.

redgunamo
10-11-2018, 05:18 PM
No wonder the gays are so proud. Smug *******s!

I'm not sure they've anything to be smug about, to be honest. It's all about breeding, ain't it. And they don't.

No, fighting wars is the easy bit; returning home and living in peace is the tricky part. Which is how the Golden Generation ended up raising their own subsequent generations of homos, harridans and and hippies and things have only continued to get steadily worse ever since.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
10-12-2018, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure they've anything to be smug about, to be honest. It's all about breeding, ain't it. And they don't.

No, fighting wars is the easy bit; returning home and living in peace is the tricky part. Which is how the Golden Generation ended up raising their own subsequent generations of homos, harridans and and hippies and things have only continued to get steadily worse ever since.

Your mum's a hippy homo harridan.

Peter
10-12-2018, 09:46 AM

In other words, we need a decent conscript war to put everything right.....

redgunamo
10-12-2018, 03:46 PM
In other words, we need a decent conscript war to put everything right.....

Not at all. In fact, it's the other way about; civilians need to be kept well out of it.

As you put it, moral equivalence isn't terribly appropriate to war. Professional fighters know and accept this fact. And also its consequences. Forcing lots of civvies to accept it too, as they return to their families, their factories and their offices, poisons society for generations to come, as we see.

Nowadays, we know better. And we will recover, of course, but it was a lesson learned the hard way.

Peter
10-13-2018, 06:31 PM
Not at all. In fact, it's the other way about; civilians need to be kept well out of it.

As you put it, moral equivalence isn't terribly appropriate to war. Professional fighters know and accept this fact. And also its consequences. Forcing lots of civvies to accept it too, as they return to their families, their factories and their offices, poisons society for generations to come, as we see.

Nowadays, we know better. And we will recover, of course, but it was a lesson learned the hard way.

Ah, I see. Leave war to the professionals.