PDA

View Full Version : Here's something I don't get: Chicken Katsu Curry.

Burney
09-28-2018, 11:18 AM
You get some inoffensive fried, breadcrumbed chicken and then you pour some gopping Chinese chip shop curry sauce over it and serve it with rice?

Fùck right off, you dirty yellow *******s.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 11:25 AM
You get some inoffensive fried, breadcrumbed chicken and then you pour some gopping Chinese chip shop curry sauce over it and serve it with rice?

It’s better made with a pork loin, obviously, and should be served with chips. I occasionally crave that curry powder taste and the Katsu curry satisfies such desires perfectly. In short, I make it once a month. I can’t imagine ordering it in a restaurant, mind.

Burney
09-28-2018, 11:31 AM
It’s better made with a pork loin, obviously, and should be served with chips. I occasionally crave that curry powder taste and the Katsu curry satisfies such desires perfectly. In short, I make it once a month. I can’t imagine ordering it in a restaurant, mind.

Chips make sense. Essentially, you're making a Milanese. I mean, you're then putting curry sauce on it, which is perverted and wrong, but what a man chooses to do in his own kitchen is no affair of mine, so I shan't judge.

By they way: chips. I have come to the conclusion that all this triple frying is unnecessary. I have achieved much the best results by first par-boiling the cut chips in just plain water.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Chips make sense. Essentially, you're making a Milanese. I mean, you're then putting curry sauce on it, which is perverted and wrong, but what a man chooses to do in his own kitchen is no affair of mine, so I shan't judge.

By they way: chips. I have come to the conclusion that all this triple frying is unnecessary. I have achieved much the best results by first par-boiling the cut chips in just plain water.

I only ever double fry. I always thought the triple cooking was overkill.

You realise that if you boil the spuds first, you're making fried potatoes? Not chips. Fried potatoes.

Peter
09-28-2018, 12:11 PM

I thoroughly enjoy a Katsu curry. Lovely stuff.

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:15 PM
I only ever double fry. I always thought the triple cooking was overkill.

You realise that if you boil the spuds first, you're making fried potatoes? Not chips. Fried potatoes.

Nonsense. The boiling and the initial fry achieve precisely the same result with the sole difference being that par-boiling does not saturate the potato with grease, resulting in a crispier, less greasy end result.

Peter
09-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Nonsense. The boiling and the initial fry achieve precisely the same result with the sole difference being that par-boiling does not saturate the potato with grease, resulting in a crispier, less greasy end result.

So, its all *******s and the way your nan made chips is the best.

So much for all your culinary bull****. A chip is a ****ing chip.

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:29 PM
So, its all *******s and the way your nan made chips is the best.

So much for all your culinary bull****. A chip is a ****ing chip.

My 'nan' (if I'd ever had such a thing, which I didn't) wouldn't have been seen dead making chips. Either of them. They had cooks for that sort of thing.

Peter
09-28-2018, 01:31 PM
My 'nan' (if I'd ever had such a thing, which I didn't) wouldn't have been seen dead making chips. Either of them. They had cooks for that sort of thing.

Apologies. I didnt realise you were from such good stock. I thought your ancestors were Irishers.

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:33 PM
Apologies. I didnt realise you were from such good stock. I thought your ancestors were Irishers.

Oh, they were. But they were middle-class south Dubliners. It sounds grander than it was. Domestic staff were dirt cheap back then in Ireland due to all the agricultural poor. The eldest son inherited the farm, the other sons went off to England to dig roads and the daughters had to go into domestic service. And then they'd get knocked up and have to be dismissed.

Better times, p.

Peter
09-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Oh, they were. But they were middle-class south Dubliners. It sounds grander than it was. Domestic staff were dirt cheap back then in Ireland due to all the agricultural poor. The eldest son inherited the farm, the other sons went off to England to dig roads and the daughters had to go into domestic service. And then they'd get knocked up and have to be dismissed.

Better times, p.

Nowt wrong with South Dublin.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Burney "My 'nan' (if I'd ever had such a thing, which I didn't) wouldn't have been seen dead making chips. Either of them. They had cooks for that sort of thing."

Sir C appears to have stolen your Log In details

Tony C
09-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Let’s face it...what on earth does Jackie Chan know about a :curry:

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Nowt wrong with South Dublin.

There's plenty wrong with it, but its major upside is not being North Dublin.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-28-2018, 01:39 PM
I still cook chips in a chip pan

I have tried making them on a tray in the oven for 40 minutes but that fuggs up the texture and everything

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Let’s face it...what on earth does Jackie Chan know about a :curry:

Wise words, t. Wise words.

That really is a very racist smiley :hehe:

Didn't we used to have a :chinaman: one that was even worse?

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:41 PM
I still cook chips in a chip pan

I have tried making them on a tray in the oven for 40 minutes but that fuggs up the texture and everything

Oh a chip cooked in the oven is not a chip. It's a chip-shaped roast potato.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Yes
The one with the lampshade hat and slitty eyes

Sir C
09-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Oh a chip cooked in the oven is not a chip. It's a chip-shaped roast potato.

That's right. Just as a chip which has been previously boiled is a chip-shaped fried potato. Not a chip.

Tony C
09-28-2018, 01:44 PM
To be fair my local Japanese makes a top notch Chicken Teriyaki with Jasmine Rice for 7.99

Perfect after a work out imo

I’ve been meaning to order the Chicken Katsu but just can’t get him over a J ap making a curry.

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Yes
The one with the lampshade hat and slitty eyes

I think it's outrageous that that was taken down by the forces of poriticaw collectness (ie Headgear).

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:48 PM
That's right. Just as a chip which has been previously boiled is a chip-shaped fried potato. Not a chip.

This double-frying thing is a foul continental habit and thus produces 'French fries' rather than chips.

After Brexit, such disgusting foreign behaviour will no longer be tolerated. Anyone caught double-frying their chips will be tarred and feathered like the Quisling scum they are.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 01:49 PM
This double-frying thing is a foul continental habit and thus produces 'French fries' rather than chips.

After Brexit, such disgusting foreign behaviour will no longer be tolerated. Anyone caught double-frying their chips will be tarred and feathered like the Quisling scum they are.

Steady on old chap. It's only a fúcking chip! (Or in your case, a fried potato).

Tony C
09-28-2018, 01:53 PM
:mrt: :sombrero: :kebab:

I didn’t see the Chinese one....

Maybe it’s cryptic like how the j aps refer to them as dogs ie :gromit:

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:55 PM
Steady on old chap. It's only a fúcking chip! (Or in your case, a fried potato).

And I've taken to leaving the skins on. So there! :vsign:

Sir C
09-28-2018, 01:56 PM
And I've taken to leaving the skins on. So there! :vsign:

You are one sick, twisted motherfúcker. And I don't feel I'm overreacting here.

Burney
09-28-2018, 01:57 PM
You are one sick, twisted motherfúcker. And I don't feel I'm overreacting here.

It's a much nicer texture and deeper flavour. FACT.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 01:59 PM
It's a much nicer texture and deeper flavour. FACT.

Like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, the more time that passes, the more you morph into something completely Irish :-(

Potatofúckingskins. #smh

Burney
09-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly, the more time that passes, the more you morph into something completely Irish :-(

Potatofúckingskins. #smh

It's where all the goodness is :nod:

Viva Prat Vegas
09-28-2018, 02:01 PM
Tony
It used to be either :orient: or :oriental:

Not sure why that one went yet the parky remains

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:01 PM
It's where all the goodness is :nod:

You're relying on potatoes for your nutritional requirements :-( ARE YOU WEARING GREEN AND SINGING PADDY MCGINTY'S GOAT?

Viva Prat Vegas
09-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Burney "It's where all the goodness is "

Precisely
The best nutrients are in the skin
As they are with a jacket potato

Viva Prat Vegas
09-28-2018, 02:03 PM
:music: Diddly diddly dee :music:

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:03 PM
Burney "It's where all the goodness is "

Precisely
The best nutrients are in the skin
As they are with a jacket potato

Now a jacket potato is something completely different. The skin of a jacket potato, crisp and thick from a two hour baking, is unbeatable as a vehicle for butter and salt.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Salt and oil ribbed into it before putting in the oven
Mmmmmmmmmmm

Burney
09-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Now a jacket potato is something completely different. The skin of a jacket potato, crisp and thick from a two hour baking, is unbeatable as a vehicle for butter and salt.

Here is my way to treat a baked potato. Anoint with oil and salt and bake slow and low as suggested. To eat, cut in half lengthways, put each half fluff side down on the plate and press down with the back of a fork until the fluff and skin are separate. Mix the fluff with a fùckload of butter, salt and - crucially - pepper until its all fully amlagamated. Eat fluff with fork in right hand. Then enjoy the delicious, crisp skins with one's fingers as the climax of this culinary treat.

God, but the potato is a wondrous beast, is it not? :cloud9:

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:23 PM
Here is my way to treat a baked potato. Anoint with oil and salt and bake slow and low as suggested. To eat, cut in half lengthways, put each half fluff side down on the plate and press down with the back of a fork until the fluff and skin are separate. Mix the fluff with a fùckload of butter, salt and - crucially - pepper until its all fully amlagamated. Eat fluff with fork in right hand. Then enjoy the delicious, crisp skins with one's fingers as the climax of this culinary treat.

God, but the potato is a wondrous beast, is it not? :cloud9:

The glw's off carbs. Christ knows when next I shall get to enjoy the fruits of Eire's toils.

Burney
09-28-2018, 02:26 PM
The glw's off carbs. Christ knows when next I shall get to enjoy the fruits of Eire's toils.

I am, too. This is probably why I'm waxing so lyrical about the fùckers. :-(

I've been eating a lot of pulses. :-| Tonight, I shall have roast cod with haricot beans and chorizo.

Beans are no substitute for potatoes. This is simply a FACT. :-(

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:28 PM
I am, too. This is probably why I'm waxing so lyrical about the fùckers. :-(

I've been eating a lot of pulses. :-| Tonight, I shall have roast cod with haricot beans and chorizo.

Beans are no substitute for potatoes. This is simply a FACT. :-(

I'm doing pork chops with a mushroom cream sauce - but of course now I realise I've got to find a staple that fits such a meal. Fúck's sake. Why must you quitters be so difficult?

I'm going to do a butter bean mash so the whole fúcking meal is like baby food.

Burney
09-28-2018, 02:30 PM
I'm doing pork chops with a mushroom cream sauce - but of course now I realise I've got to find a staple that fits such a meal. Fúck's sake. Why must you quitters be so difficult?

I'm going to do a butter bean mash so the whole fúcking meal is like baby food.

Parsnips? Sweet potatoes? Butternut squash?

Nah, you're right. Those are all shìte compared to a spud. :-(

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:32 PM

I've got sweet potatoes but... so sweet! I can't face the idea. Parsnips are also... sweet! And butternut squash can just fúck off. I hate it.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:33 PM

Wait. Lentils. It will have to be lentils. I'll stir the sauce into the little puys.

Burney
09-28-2018, 02:37 PM
I've got sweet potatoes but... so sweet! I can't face the idea. Parsnips are also... sweet! And butternut squash can just fúck off. I hate it.

I grew about 40 butternut squashes last year. I probably ate about 4 of them in the form of soup (they do make a decent soup with a bit of smoked paprika or curry powder). The rest were given away or fùcked out the window.

Agree about sweet potatoes. Sweet potato fries make you feel like you're about to go into diabetic coma. Parsnips are great in a roast dinner when they're offset by other stuff, but not on their own.

You could make falafelly-type things out of beans?

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:40 PM
I grew about 40 butternut squashes last year. I probably ate about 4 of them in the form of soup (they do make a decent soup with a bit of smoked paprika or curry powder). The rest were given away or fùcked out the window.

Agree about sweet potatoes. Sweet potato fries make you feel like you're about to go into diabetic coma. Parsnips are great in a roast dinner when they're offset by other stuff, but not on their own.

You could make falafelly-type things out of beans?

No, I've definitely decided on the lentils now. I like lentils with a cream sauce. I'll boil the fúckers, make a mushroom / shallot / mustard cream sauce as if it were to be spooned on the chops, but stick it in the lentils.

Burney
09-28-2018, 02:46 PM
No, I've definitely decided on the lentils now. I like lentils with a cream sauce. I'll boil the fúckers, make a mushroom / shallot / mustard cream sauce as if it were to be spooned on the chops, but stick it in the lentils.

The thing is that anything other than potatoes is just taking up space, really, isn't it? It's not there because it complements the dish, it's there because you need something besides meat and veg.

What did people do before potatoes?

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:47 PM
The thing is that anything other than potatoes is just taking up space, really, isn't it? It's not there because it complements the dish, it's there because you need something besides meat and veg.

What did people do before potatoes?

Bread. Lots and lots of bread.

Bread is good. Bread is almost as good as potatoes.

Burney
09-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Bread. Lots and lots of bread.

Bread is good. Bread is almost as good as potatoes.

:nod: In some cases it's even better (ie hot meat sandwiches).

Of course, bread is pretty much my evil nemesis. Less than a week off spuds and bread and I've already shed pounds. :-(

Sir C
09-28-2018, 02:56 PM
:nod: In some cases it's even better (ie hot meat sandwiches).

Of course, bread is pretty much my evil nemesis. Less than a week off spuds and bread and I've already shed pounds. :-(

I suspect that you haven't been running.

Hmm?

The flesh is evil and must be mortified. Get your sweat on and enjoy spuds!

Burney
09-28-2018, 03:01 PM
I suspect that you haven't been running.

Hmm?

The flesh is evil and must be mortified. Get your sweat on and enjoy spuds!

No. Running basically meant it was taking me five minutes to get down the stairs every morning. I need to find something else.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 03:07 PM
No. Running basically meant it was taking me five minutes to get down the stairs every morning. I need to find something else.

Poor old knees can't take it, eh? Shame.

Exercise bike. Low impack. Lovely job. Some weights to go with that? I think so, yes. Little bit the dumb bell action.

It's an hour a day. You know you can find an hour a day.

Burney
09-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Poor old knees can't take it, eh? Shame.

Exercise bike. Low impack. Lovely job. Some weights to go with that? I think so, yes. Little bit the dumb bell action.

It's an hour a day. You know you can find an hour a day.

That's what I'm thinking, yes. Also a punchbag, maybe?

Although time is an issue. I leave the house at 7 and get back at 7 most days. Get home, cook dinner, eat it, spend an hour or so with the wife and then it's time for bed. That hour is tricky to find.