PDA

View Full Version : 100 years ago today our great grandfathers were commencing the final advance at

Peter
09-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Flanders, heralding the beginning of the end of one of the stupidest wars in modern history.

Glorious dead my arse

Sir C
09-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Flanders, heralding the beginning of the end of one of the stupidest wars in modern history.

Glorious dead my arse

Surely there is glory in doing one's duty? When King and country call, decent chaps rally to the Colours. This is what we like to call 'honour'.

Of course, lefties will never understand because you're all lazy cowards and instinctively hate your own country. :shrug:

No offence, like.

To be fair, berni once admitted to me that he would not die for the Colours, so it seems the Irish are just as bad as lefties.

Burney
09-28-2018, 09:34 AM

Glorious dead my arse

It wasn't a stupid war at all. The alternative was allowing an autocratic and highly militaristic German regime to have hegemony over continental Europe.

They weren't a nice bunch, p. They had to be stopped.

Peter
09-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Surely there is glory in doing one's duty? When King and country call, decent chaps rally to the Colours. This is what we like to call 'honour'.

Of course, lefties will never understand because you're all lazy cowards and instinctively hate your own country. :shrug:

No offence, like.

To be fair, berni once admitted to me that he would not die for the Colours, so it seems the Irish are just as bad as lefties.

No, I dont think there is a great deal of glory in being blown to bits in a field. A notion such as honour serves its purpose in persuading young working class men to submit to slaughter as an alternative to being shot for running away.

I dont belittle the sacrifice, or the bravery of individuals. I do shrink from describing it as glorious.

Peter
09-28-2018, 09:56 AM
It wasn't a stupid war at all. The alternative was allowing an autocratic and highly militaristic German regime to have hegemony over continental Europe.

It was a very stupid war indeed and a serious failure in diplomacy.

The second lot, now that was a proper war, with a proper bad dude.

Luis Anaconda
09-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Glorious dead my arse
Mine certainly weren't

Burney
09-28-2018, 09:59 AM
It was a very stupid war indeed and a serious failure in diplomacy.

The second lot, now that was a proper war, with a proper bad dude.

If you don't think the krauts were a bad lot, I suggest you take a look at their behaviour whenever they were occupying enemy territory - not to mention their behaviour in South West Africa.

A kraut is a kraut is a kraut, p. There are only gradations in their awfulness and untrustworthiness.

Burney
09-28-2018, 10:00 AM
No, I dont think there is a great deal of glory in being blown to bits in a field. A notion such as honour serves its purpose in persuading young working class men to submit to slaughter as an alternative to being shot for running away.

I dont belittle the sacrifice, or the bravery of individuals. I do shrink from describing it as glorious.

Soldiers don't not run away because of honour, p. They don't run away because of their sense of duty to their comrades.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 10:01 AM

You realise that whilst 'young working class men' made up the majority of front line troops, it was public school chaps who suffered far the greatest number of casualties, do you?

The reason we are in the absolute state we are in is that the Great War claimed the lives of the bulk of decent young men and left us with an overwhelming preponderance of the weak, the sickly, the mentally feeble - to whom I believe you refer as 'the working classes'. :-(

Peter
09-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Soldiers don't not run away because of honour, p. They don't run away because of their sense of duty to their comrades.

That may well be true of actual soldiers. I suspect it is far less true of conscripts.

Burney
09-28-2018, 10:19 AM
That may well be true of actual soldiers. I suspect it is far less true of conscripts.

Depends how well the conscripts are trained. The German army in both world wars were largely made up of conscripts. They didn't run much.

Peter
09-28-2018, 10:20 AM
You realise that whilst 'young working class men' made up the majority of front line troops, it was public school chaps who suffered far the greatest number of casualties, do you?

The reason we are in the absolute state we are in is that the Great War claimed the lives of the bulk of decent young men and left us with an overwhelming preponderance of the weak, the sickly, the mentally feeble - to whom I believe you refer as 'the working classes'. :-(

Any capitalist system requires for its own survival a large underclass. They have to be kept poor and hungry to keep them desperate for work so the likes of you can live it up and look down your nose at them.

I do apologise if not enough of them died and I formally apologise for my own family surviving and going on to breed a new generation of lefties. The lefties that are going to murder you in your bed as soon as Comrade Corbyn seizes power.

You should be scared.

In the meantime, I have a powerful scotch bonnet sauce that I highly recommend. It really clears out the sinuses :)

Peter
09-28-2018, 10:23 AM
Depends how well the conscripts are trained. The German army in both world wars were largely made up of conscripts. They didn't run much.

We are not arguing over whether they run but over why they dont.

All the armies in boththose wars were made up almost exclusively ofconscripts or 'volunteers'. Very few professional soldiers.

Germans deserted in their droves at various stages on the Eastern front and I dont ****ing blame them. Fighting the russians on their own turf is worse than trying to win a test series in India.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 10:26 AM
Any capitalist system requires for its own survival a large underclass. They have to be kept poor and hungry to keep them desperate for work so the likes of you can live it up and look down your nose at them.

I do apologise if not enough of them died and I formally apologise for my own family surviving and going on to breed a new generation of lefties. The lefties that are going to murder you in your bed as soon as Comrade Corbyn seizes power.

You should be scared.

In the meantime, I have a powerful scotch bonnet sauce that I highly recommend. It really clears out the sinuses :)

The lazy fúckers will demand someone else kills me in my bed. Far too much effort for a leftie.

Peter
09-28-2018, 10:29 AM
The lazy fúckers will demand someone else kills me in my bed. Far too much effort for a leftie.

Of course, I dont mean it literally. Its more the restructuring of the economy (the many, not the few) that will metaphorically murder your way of life.

Burney
09-28-2018, 10:30 AM
We are not arguing over whether they run but over why they dont.

All the armies in boththose wars were made up almost exclusively ofconscripts or 'volunteers'. Very few professional soldiers.

Germans deserted in their droves at various stages on the Eastern front and I dont ****ing blame them. Fighting the russians on their own turf is worse than trying to win a test series in India.

Large-scale desertion didn't start on the Eastern Front until very late in the war. That was because the Germans had started to replace their effective troops with children, crocks and old men who had received minimal training and were led by inexperienced officers and NCOs.

However, for the most part, experienced conscripts fought just as well as anyone else. Not running is about morale, training, discipline and comradeship rather than how one got into the army in the first place.

Sir C
09-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Of course, I dont mean it literally. Its more the restructuring of the economy (the many, not the few) that will metaphorically murder your way of life.

You think McDonnell can do worse to me than Cameron and Osborn? :hehe:

Peter
09-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Large-scale desertion didn't start on the Eastern Front until very late in the war. That was because the Germans had started to replace their effective troops with children, crocks and old men who had received minimal training and were led by inexperienced officers and NCOs.

However, for the most part, experienced conscripts fought just as well as anyone else. Not running is about morale, training, discipline and comradeship rather than how one got into the army in the first place.

I would argue desertion started as soon as it began to look like a better chance of survival than staying. I suppose that comes under morale.

Burney
09-28-2018, 10:40 AM
I would argue desertion started as soon as it began to look like a better chance of survival than staying. I suppose that comes under morale.

Well for raw troops, the temptation to desert was always going to be higher in Germany purely because it means you've got somewhere to run to. Fùck all point trying to run away when you're on the Russian steppe imo.

barrybueno
09-28-2018, 11:45 AM

Glorious dead my arse

Stoopid Flanders :homer:

IUFG
09-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Its more the restructuring of the economy (the many, not the few) that will metaphorically murder your way of life.

Do you mean the Corbynites will look to tax the fúck out of anyone earning between £25k and £150k per year?

Those particular cash cows get milked by both ends of the political spectrum.

BTW where is labour pool for these 400k green jobs Jeremy will create? We already have 750,000 unfilled vacancies in the UK.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
09-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Do you mean the Corbynites will look to tax the fúck out of anyone earning between £25k and £150k per year?

BTW where is labour pool for these 400k green jobs Jeremy will create? We already have 750,000 unfilled vacancies in the UK.

They plan to create proper jobs by getting rid of all the meaningless crâp like HR etc. :hehe:

Peter
09-28-2018, 12:41 PM

Are you asking me to comment on Labour's economic policies?

I may as well try and catch the wind

eastgermanautos
09-30-2018, 10:19 AM

You could have gone on ruling the seas, while leaving continental Europe to the Hun. All would have been well with the world. Russia would probably not have had their revolution, and the French would drink more Alsatian wine. That's it.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-30-2018, 04:20 PM
If you don't think the krauts were a bad lot, I suggest you take a look at their behaviour whenever they were occupying enemy territory - not to mention their behaviour in South West Africa.

A kraut is a kraut is a kraut, p. There are only gradations in their awfulness and untrustworthiness.

I think these blokes summed it up quite well...

https://youtu.be/7DoM3sWkgfU?t=38

eastgermanautos
10-01-2018, 02:15 AM
I think these blokes summed it up quite well...

https://youtu.be/7DoM3sWkgfU?t=38

They did some nice things in Tanzania, so I understand. :nono: