PDA

View Full Version : A year today since I enjoyed a sweet, sweet fag.

Sir C
09-25-2018, 09:40 AM
It's embarrassing. I never thought I'd be that kind of person. :-(

I hate myself.

Burney
09-25-2018, 09:41 AM

I hate myself.

The fact that you're still counting tells me you're not quite that sort of person yet.

I can't remember my last one it's that long ago.

Luis Anaconda
09-25-2018, 09:43 AM

I hate myself.
I haven't had a drink in hours - it's not right

IUFG
09-25-2018, 09:54 AM

I hate myself.

1997 (I'm sure) I stopped the Marlboro reds.
Apart from an occasional spliff, no smokes have touched my lungs since.

I reckon after 3 months you've broken the addiction. Now it is a about will power.

But you may be a weak, weak man in that respect ;-)

Burney
09-25-2018, 09:55 AM

I reckon after 3 months you've broken the addiction. Now it is a about will power.

:nono: The nicotine addiction's gone in two days. Everything else is habit.

IUFG
09-25-2018, 10:01 AM

I reckon I craved a fag after eating for weeks. Not convinced that was habit
That and contemplating starting again to stop the hacking up of, what looked like, squash balls :-(

Sir C
09-25-2018, 10:05 AM

I'm not fussed, really. I have the occasional drag on my (nicotine-free) vaping wotsit because I like the flavour, but even that's only happening a couple of times a day now.

If they told me I only had a month to live I'd be back on it in a flash, naturally.

Burney
09-25-2018, 10:08 AM
I reckon I craved a fag after eating for weeks. Not convinced that was habit
That and contemplating starting again to stop the hacking up of, what looked like, squash balls :-(

Of course it's habit. It's reflexive rather than the result of physical addiction. I always likened it to the way amputees are always claimed to be able to still feel the missing appendage.

PSRB
09-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Of course it's habit. It's reflexive rather than the result of physical addiction. I always likened it to the way amputees are always claimed to be able to still feel the missing appendage.

Remember giving up for the entirety of wife's pregnancy for the 1st child, only to cave in the moment she went into labour. Also the only time I've ever been 'tubby' in my entire life

Viva Prat Vegas
09-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Burney "I always likened it to the way amputees are always claimed to be able to still feel the missing appendage"

There's a partial amputee on Strictly
Thus I presume the Highland Fling might be a tad difficult

Peter
09-25-2018, 10:42 AM

I think two days is a bit rich. I am sure it was more like four when I stopped.

After that, you are correct, it is merely habit. Triggers wired into your brain telling you 'now just have fag, then do that'.

If you are still craving a fag after a year then you haven't done your job in re-wiring the brain.

It took me two weeks to stop wanting one and a full year to start smoking again :(

Burney
09-25-2018, 10:44 AM
I think two days is a bit rich. I am sure it was more like four when I stopped.

After that, you are correct, it is merely habit. Triggers wired into your brain telling you 'now just have fag, then do that'.

If you are still craving a fag after a year then you haven't done your job in re-wiring the brain.

It took me two weeks to stop wanting one and a full year to start smoking again :(

Oh, I went back to them after eight years, which must be some sort of record. I was so convinced I'd cracked it, I thought I could pick them up and put them down again with no difficulty. Took me another two years or so to knock them on the head for good.

Peter
09-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Oh, I went back to them after eight years, which must be some sort of record. I was so convinced I'd cracked it, I thought I could pick them up and put them down again with no difficulty. Took me another two years or so to knock them on the head for good.

Exactly what I did after a year. I hadn't wanted one in any way whatsoever and was utterly convinced that I had it whipped. I stupidly agreed to have one in the pub. Had another one the following week, a couple the following midweek. Then I had to have one while watching the conclusion of a test series in Sri Lanka...took me a month to accept I was a smoker again. Have been on them ever since.

Giving up was too easy. Next time I will know you can never, ever have another one.

I managed to give up the Colombian, I am sure I can give up the fags.

Burney
09-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Exactly what I did after a year. I hadn't wanted one in any way whatsoever and was utterly convinced that I had it whipped. I stupidly agreed to have one in the pub. Had another one the following week, a couple the following midweek. Then I had to have one while watching the conclusion of a test series in Sri Lanka...took me a month to accept I was a smoker again. Have been on them ever since.

Giving up was too easy. Next time I will know you can never, ever have another one.

I managed to give up the Colombian, I am sure I can give up the fags.

I was able to have the odd one after giving up, but only under strict rules, namely:

1/ Only smoke when drunk
2/ Only smoke other people's
3/ Never - EVER - buy cigarettes or have them around the house.

Peter
09-25-2018, 10:59 AM
I was able to have the odd one after giving up, but only under strict rules, namely:

1/ Only smoke when drunk
2/ Only smoke other people's
3/ Never - EVER - buy cigarettes or have them around the house.

I started by adopting those rules but I am rulebreaker at heart :)