worth doing or not?

Peter
09-12-2018, 02:25 PM
worth doing or not?

What is that?

Sir C
09-12-2018, 02:26 PM
worth doing or not?

Depends who's doing it and who what you want from it.

The manufacturer has programmed the ECU for the best emissions results. If the new chip is programmed bluntly just for performance only, you'll fúck your fuel consumption and limit your engine life as well as potentially fúcking the catalytic converter. If it's programmed sensibly it will be more of a compromise.

Of course your warranty will be instantly invalidated and you might struggle with MOTs...

How much more performance do you need?

Caveat emptor.

PSRB
09-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Depends who's doing it and who what you want from it.

The manufacturer has programmed the ECU for the best emissions results. If the new chip is programmed bluntly just for performance only, you'll fúck your fuel consumption and limit your engine life as well as potentially fúcking the catalytic converter. If it's programmed sensibly it will be more of a compromise.

Of course your warranty will be instantly invalidated and you might struggle with MOTs...

How much more performance do you need?

Caveat emptor.

It's 2.0 TDI on my Audi. I'd heard that essentially manufacturers use the same engine for years and mysteriously the BHP increases and this basically down to improving the mapping with each new iteration of the car.....conspiracy theory?

It's 174 BHP currently......a little more couldn't hurt

Herbert Augustus Chapman
09-12-2018, 02:48 PM
It's 2.0 TDI on my Audi. I'd heard that essentially manufacturers use the same engine for years and mysteriously the BHP increases and this basically down to improving the mapping with each new iteration of the car.....conspiracy theory?

girly girly cissy boy wagon you driving around?

Rich
09-12-2018, 02:55 PM

I have a 435d. Thinking of doing it too but not sure what gains I will get. Think it has about 340bhp but also 600 units of torque.

PSRB
09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
girly girly cissy boy wagon you driving around?

A5 Sportback, I do think it needs to be over 200. It's actually 177bhp

PSRB
09-12-2018, 02:58 PM
http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/ecu-remap-tuning.aspx

IUFG
09-12-2018, 03:31 PM

They'll use the same iteration of engine for different power output / economy - which is all down to the ECU programming. Most manufacturers use an engine for about 5/6 years. They are currently going hollow to try and lighten them...

The most you'll get out of a 2.0D is around 200ps. That'll get you 0-60 in 8 seconds or under.

The difference will be in how much fuel it lets through and how soon and long the turbos spin, etc.

You should notify your insurers that your car has been modded.

PSRB
09-12-2018, 03:57 PM
They'll use the same iteration of engine for different power output / economy - which is all down to the ECU programming. Most manufacturers use an engine for about 5/6 years. They are currently going hollow to try and lighten them...

The most you'll get out of a 2.0D is around 200ps. That'll get you 0-60 in 8 seconds or under.

The difference will be in how much fuel it lets through and how soon and long the turbos spin, etc.

You should notify your insurers that your car has been modded.

That would be slightly disappointing as it's already doing 0-60 in 7.6

barrybueno
09-12-2018, 04:03 PM
worth doing or not?

Simple answer: turbo - yes, normally aspirated - no.

I should really charge for info gold like this tbh

Rich
09-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Simple answer: turbo - yes, normally aspirated - no.

I should really charge for info gold like this tbh

How about bi-tubros?

barrybueno
09-12-2018, 06:14 PM
How about bi-tubros?

Ah well they can go either way..