PDA

View Full Version : 11/09/01

Sir C
09-11-2018, 01:55 PM
A truly remarkable day. I went to an Italian restaurant for lunch and then a different Italian restaurant for dinner.

It's not every day you do that.

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:04 PM
A truly remarkable day. I went to an Italian restaurant for lunch and then a different Italian restaurant for dinner.

I was on gardening leave and went to a driving range in the morning, had lunch in Beckenham and then toddled off home to watch stuff falling down on the telly. Cracking day.

Sir C
09-11-2018, 02:07 PM
I was on gardening leave and went to a driving range in the morning, had lunch in Beckenham and then toddled off home to watch stuff falling down on the telly. Cracking day.

I had the calve's liver with butter and sage for lunch. Some nice crunchy sauté potatoes, as I recall. I can't remember dinner so it must have been a bit dull.

barrybueno
09-11-2018, 02:08 PM

I'd only bought my flat 5 days earlier and had the week off, I could have lunched with ya, where were you at B?

PSRB
09-11-2018, 02:08 PM

I was on a working lunch in the office at The Sun and saw what was happening, got the Commercial Director to wheel out his telly and we all sat around watching it until the bomb threats started coming into our office and nearby Canary Wharf and we were all sent home/to the pub.

An extremely wd to the pub, on that day

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:12 PM
I had the calve's liver with butter and sage for lunch. Some nice crunchy sauté potatoes, as I recall. I can't remember dinner so it must have been a bit dull.

I do love a calf's liver. I rarely get it these days as the missus has a horror of liver.

Luis Anaconda
09-11-2018, 02:13 PM
I was on a working lunch in the office at The Sun and saw what was happening, got the Commercial Director to wheel out his telly and we all sat around watching it until the bomb threats started coming into our office and nearby Canary Wharf and we were all sent home/to the pub.

An extremely wd to the pub, on that day
They never told us of the bomb threats. Of course there is an outside chance we were already in the pub of course. Terrible day. Ashley Cole bring down the Mallorca striker to give away that silly penalty and getting sent off

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:14 PM
I'd only bought my flat 5 days earlier and had the week off, I could have lunched with ya, where were you at B?

I think it was The George, bb. Sadly, these were my pre-Awimb days.

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:15 PM
They never told us of the bomb threats. Of course there is an outside chance we were already in the pub of course. Terrible day. Ashley Cole bring down the Mallorca striker to give away that silly penalty and getting sent off

That's right. Wasn't that game Lauren's return to Real Mallorca?

Luis Anaconda
09-11-2018, 02:17 PM
That's right. Wasn't that game Lauren's return to Real Mallorca?
it was indeed - we should have had a pen in the second half. Ref was a ****

PSRB
09-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Apparently so, might just have been an excuse to bugger off to the pub but that's what we were told.

Sir C
09-11-2018, 02:23 PM
I do love a calf's liver. I rarely get it these days as the missus has a horror of liver.

I can't find it anywhere. Ocado don't have it, Waitrose don't have it and Tescoi certainly don't have it.

Dennis has left Ruxley - we eagerly await the new incumbent http://www.thebutcherofbrogdale.co.uk/

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:29 PM
I can't find it anywhere. Ocado don't have it, Waitrose don't have it and Tescoi certainly don't have it.

Dennis has left Ruxley - we eagerly await the new incumbent http://www.thebutcherofbrogdale.co.uk/

Waitrose claims to stock it.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/Waitrose-1-British-calves-liver/476915-67294-67295?utm_source=mskt&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=bau&source=aff_awin&awc=3691_1536676101_300888b6bce110563b33b333cf5f2a 82

Sir C
09-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Waitrose claims to stock it.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/Waitrose-1-British-calves-liver/476915-67294-67295?utm_source=mskt&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=bau&source=aff_awin&awc=3691_1536676101_300888b6bce110563b33b333cf5f2a 82

Never had any in when I've checked. Maybe I've been unlucky. But I do love it. Just flashed for 30 seconds a side...

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Never had any in when I've checked. Maybe I've been unlucky. But I do love it. Just flashed for 30 seconds a side...

:nod: That's how I do it - on a bed of mash, with onions slow-cooked in Marsala and crispy pancetta.

Peeling the skin off it is tedious, though.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-11-2018, 02:38 PM
I was in Majorca
The seat was nice and high
Down early doors

barrybueno
09-11-2018, 02:41 PM
I think it was The George, bb. Sadly, these were my pre-Awimb days.

Ah Ye George Inn, now you've given me an idea :lager:

Stella has only just gone over 4 quid recently and because it's such an old ****s pub I'm sometimes the youngest one in there :old:

IUFG
09-11-2018, 02:43 PM

I was out shopping and watched the second one fly in on multiple TVs in Comet.

OLED and shít now. TVs have really moved on since then. wd the South Koreans.

Rich
09-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Had just finished hockey practice when my mother told me to turn the TV on. Ate crisps.

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:45 PM
I was out shopping and watched the second one fly in on multiple TVs in Comet.

OLED and shít now. TVs have really moved on since then. wd the South Koreans.

:nod: I think we can all agree that 9/11 would have been much better in HD with surround sound, iufg.

IUFG
09-11-2018, 02:46 PM
:nod: I think we can all agree that 9/11 would have been much better in HD with surround sound, iufg.

HD? :nod: 4K? :nod: not so much 3D. Never really took off did it?

Viva Prat Vegas
09-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Back then it was those modern silver jobbies

Sir C
09-11-2018, 02:47 PM

I went to Bangkok the following week and the footage of the a/c impacting the towers was being played everywhere ona constant loop. Hotels, bars, restaurants, they even set up TVs in street markets so you didn't have to go more than 3 minutes without watching tragedy unfold.

A strange people, the Thais.

Rich
09-11-2018, 02:48 PM
I went to Bangkok the following week and the footage of the a/c impacting the towers was being played everywhere ona constant loop. Hotels, bars, restaurants, they even set up TVs in street markets so you didn't have to go more than 3 minutes without watching tragedy unfold.

Are they fond of the Yanqui or not?

IUFG
09-11-2018, 02:49 PM

FFS, r. Who is? :shrug:

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:49 PM
HD? :nod: 4K? :nod: not so much 3D. Never really took off did it?

No. But it was always a shìt idea, really, wasn't it?

Sir C
09-11-2018, 02:51 PM

I don't think they care, particularly. It was just a spectacular event and therefore exciting. They're quitre childlike, really.

Pat Vegas

I've done that loads of times.

In Italy of course.

PSRB

:nod: I don't wear glasses but you want me to wear **** glasses, for something that's not all that impressive anyway

Burney

What was the stand-out moment of 9/11 for you? The collapse of the towers was spectacular, but I felt the second plane hitting was the most dramatic, since that was when you knew for certain it was deliberate.

IUFG
09-11-2018, 02:52 PM

The darts at Christmas had a little bit of novelty value.

The football was shocking. All shot at a low level to try and give a bit of depth perception which meant you didn't actually see that much on screen. And, if I wanted to see a football match in 3D, I would actually fúcking attend one.

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:52 PM
I've done that loads of times.

In Italy of course.

This is a very good point, f.

Pat Vegas
09-11-2018, 02:53 PM

that was a strange period for tv. if you watch a music video or a football match from the same time they are very poor and fuzzy quality.
where as stuff from the 80s and 90s was much clearer.

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:53 PM
I don't think they care, particularly. It was just a spectacular event and therefore exciting. They're quitre childlike, really.

I quite enjoyed it, really. It felt like proper news.

PSRB
09-11-2018, 02:54 PM
What was the stand-out moment of 9/11 for you? The collapse of the towers was spectacular, but I felt the second plane hitting was the most dramatic, since that was when you knew for certain it was deliberate.

:nod: Up until then it was all a tragic accident, then that hit and it was suddenly 'oh'

Sir C
09-11-2018, 02:55 PM

The collapse, I think. While the twoers were burning I was thinking about the casualties on the flights and wondering how long it would take the fire brigade to put the flames out; at the point the buildings collapsed it hit home that thousands of people were likely to be dead.

Viva Prat Vegas
09-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Plane no.2 was the most dramatic because it was captured live

In second place were the collapsing towers

Viva Prat Vegas
09-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Pat Vegas "that was a strange period for tv. if you watch a music video or a football match from the same time they are very poor and fuzzy quality.
where as stuff from the 80s and 90s was much clearer"

:nod:
Those cheap 'look back' shows just pinch material from online for their source materials
My 20th century VHS recordings were/are much clearer than the ones they pinch

IUFG
that was a strange period for tv. if you watch a music video or a football match from the same time they are very poor and fuzzy quality.
where as stuff from the 80s and 90s was much clearer.

V early days of digital storage, f.
They ended up compressing the video image into such ****ty files all sorts of definition was lost.

If you watch these Sky Premier League years things, I don't remember the live picture being anywhere near as bad as the recordings. Plus modern TVs make the old compressed SD video look even worse.

Rich

See also: The carpet bombing of Baghdad during Bush's 'Shock & Awe' campaign.

Sir C

We'd never heard of Al-Qaeda, had we? I remember syaing to someone, "It must have been the PLO, the yanks are going to have to ask Israel nicely if they can nuke 'em."

Burney
09-11-2018, 02:58 PM
The collapse, I think. While the twoers were burning I was thinking about the casualties on the flights and wondering how long it would take the fire brigade to put the flames out; at the point the buildings collapsed it hit home that thousands of people were likely to be dead.

The first collapse did have the advantage of surprise. No-one expected it, did they? :jetfuelcan'tmeltsteelbeams:

IUFG
09-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Plane no.2 was the most dramatic because it was captured live

In second place were the collapsing towers

Agreed. I remember thinking it must have been an accident until the second won. As b says, at that point you knew...

Pat Vegas
09-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Agreed. I remember thinking it must have been an accident until the second won. As b says, at that point you knew...

:nod: and at that stage they didn't report what type of aircraft it was.

Rich
09-11-2018, 03:01 PM
:nod: and at that stage they didn't report what type of aircraft it was.

Were they all 777s? Makes you wonder why a 747 wasn't selected. Harder to access the flight deck, what with it being upstairs, perhaps?

Burney
09-11-2018, 03:01 PM
We'd never heard of Al-Qaeda, had we? I remember syaing to someone, "It must have been the PLO, the yanks are going to have to ask Israel nicely if they can nuke 'em."

I remember we'd only just heard of the lad Bin Laden. He'd been doing some shiz in Africa, hadn't he?

Imagine how pleased they all must have been that evening, though. There's no way they could have been expecting to get a result as good as that. Bet they cracked open a few bottles that night.

Pat Vegas
09-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Were they all 777s? Makes you wonder why a 747 wasn't selected.

they were all domestic flights where it was bit more chilled.

Burney
09-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Were they all 777s? Makes you wonder why a 747 wasn't selected.

Two 767s and two 757s.

Pat Vegas
09-11-2018, 03:03 PM
also another part was you didn't know what was coming next or where.
could it be going on all day?

IUFG
09-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Bet they cracked open a few bottles that night.

Bottles of what, b?

Burney
09-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Bottles of what, b?

They always looked like Irn Bru men to me.

IUFG
09-11-2018, 03:14 PM
They always looked like Irn Bru men to me.

or Tab
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPazgbLXszM021Ls9UV5Pfe5lRnifKn gR0voYJnsmOFWQaaP20WQ

can you still get Tab?

Sir C
09-11-2018, 03:21 PM
also another part was you didn't know what was coming next or where.
could it be going on all day?

I had a friend who worked in a bank at Canary Wharf, emailing through the news from the Reuters screen - at one point it was said that 12 aircraft had been hijacked and that the White House had been hit. It all got quite hysterical for a while.

Burney
09-11-2018, 03:23 PM
or Tab
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPazgbLXszM021Ls9UV5Pfe5lRnifKn gR0voYJnsmOFWQaaP20WQ

can you still get Tab?

Or maybe a Khalid Milkshake Mohammed?

Talking of mad allans, I must admit this idea made me laugh.

Tony C
09-11-2018, 04:39 PM
https://youtu.be/r9dYBWpPAJ0

The Insider
09-11-2018, 06:16 PM

Darling daughter works on Meat and Fish at the local Waitrose and she assures me that they stock it.

I could post you some.......

Ordovician97
09-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Back then it was those modern silver jobbies