PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire pudding with beef stew.

Sir C
08-29-2018, 01:29 PM
Unusual or unacceptable?

Burney
08-29-2018, 01:32 PM
Unusual or unacceptable?

Is it a giant Yorkshire pudding and is the stew inside it? In that case, it's not only acceptable, but actually fantastic.

Although it's not as good as sausages, mash and onion gravy in a giant Yorkshire Pudding. That, my friend, is something very special indeed.

Sir C
08-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Is it a giant Yorkshire pudding and is the stew inside it? In that case, it's not only acceptable, but actually fantastic.

Although it's not as good as sausages, mash and onion gravy in a giant Yorkshire Pudding. That, my friend, is something very special indeed.

Won't the stew sink into the batter and stop it going crispy?

IUFG
08-29-2018, 01:36 PM

This ↑

If its a couple of small ones on the side, the mere suggestions of it makes you a wrong-un.

Burney
08-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Won't the stew sink into the batter and stop it going crispy?

No, you dolt! You make the Yorkshire pudding and then put the gloop inside it.

Sir C
08-29-2018, 01:40 PM
No, you dolt! You make the Yorkshire pudding and then put the gloop inside it.

I see the way you're working here. Nice.

Make the pudding first... I'll remember that, b.

Burney
08-29-2018, 01:43 PM
I see the way you're working here. Nice.

Make the pudding first... I'll remember that, b.

I must admit I've never made a giant pudding. I've only ever had this delicacy in pubs. I imagine one can buy enormous yorkshires ready-made. Otherwise, I suppose a cake tin would be the thing - in order to get the high sides, I mean.

Good Lord. Imagine being the sort of animal who'd serve this as Sunday dinner.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/giant-yorkshire-pudding-sunday-lunch

Burney
08-29-2018, 01:45 PM
This ↑

If its a couple of small ones on the side, the mere suggestions of it makes you a wrong-un.

Yes. Although I have thrown away all my principles and now pretty much serve Yorkshire pudding with all roast dinners. I just got to the stage where I thought 'Why am I depriving myself of Yorkshire pudding just because I'm eating roast pork?'

Sir C
08-29-2018, 01:45 PM
I must admit I've never made a giant pudding. I've only ever had this delicacy in pubs. I imagine one can buy enormous yorkshires ready-made. Otherwise, I suppose a cake tin would be the thing - in order to get the high sides, I mean.

Good Lord. Imagine being the sort of animal who'd serve this as Sunday dinner.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/giant-yorkshire-pudding-sunday-lunch

I'm sorry, I'm reeling a little here. The glw has just referred to a Yorkshire pudding as a 'batter pudding'.

Why are English people so strange? Why?

Sir C
08-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Yes. Although I have thrown away all my principles and now pretty much serve Yorkshire pudding with all roast dinners. I just got to the stage where I thought 'Why am I depriving myself of Yorkshire pudding just because I'm eating roast pork?'

I think that every week as I tuck into my roast chicken. (Always roast chicken.) Sometimes I have Paxo with it. I rather enjoy the synthetic quality. But I often think, if only I could make Yorkshire pudding, I'd have a bang on that. Perhaps the time has come to learn.

Burney
08-29-2018, 01:48 PM
I'm sorry, I'm reeling a little here. The glw has just referred to a Yorkshire pudding as a 'batter pudding'.

Why are English people so strange? Why?

Batter pudding? I'm sorry, but this is the sort of slip that, in wartime, would result in her being shot as a spy.

Do you think she might be a spy? In deep cover sort of thing?

Burney
08-29-2018, 01:49 PM
I think that every week as I tuck into my roast chicken. (Always roast chicken.) Sometimes I have Paxo with it. I rather enjoy the synthetic quality. But I often think, if only I could make Yorkshire pudding, I'd have a bang on that. Perhaps the time has come to learn.

The mixture must be thinner than you'd think and the oil must be smoking hot when you put the batter in. These are the only bits of wisdom I have to impart regarding Yorkshire pudding.

IUFG
08-29-2018, 01:51 PM

YPs are fine with any roast dinner, imo.

However, 2 sat atop a stew is a monstrous idea.

7sisters
08-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Unusual or unacceptable?

I once was served up a rather large Yorkie with a slab of foie gras and some Branston pickle on the side.
A starter, a little unusual, deviancy perhaps but I really enjoyed it.

Sir C
08-29-2018, 02:23 PM
The mixture must be thinner than you'd think and the oil must be smoking hot when you put the batter in. These are the only bits of wisdom I have to impart regarding Yorkshire pudding.

The milk thing's putting me off a bit.

Burney
08-29-2018, 03:00 PM
The milk thing's putting me off a bit.

Oh, it doesn't taste like milk.

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:05 PM
Batter pudding? I'm sorry, but this is the sort of slip that, in wartime, would result in her being shot as a spy.

Do you think she might be a spy? In deep cover sort of thing?

She said it with great conviction, as if she were using the English colloquialism, and that I, some sort of incomer, were showing myself up to be a newb :-(

Burney
08-29-2018, 03:11 PM
She said it with great conviction, as if she were using the English colloquialism, and that I, some sort of incomer, were showing myself up to be a newb :-(

Yes, but that's exactly what I'd do if I were a deep-cover Russian spy and seeking to gaslight my simple-minded dupe of a husband into believing what I said even though every fibre of his being is telling me it's wrong. :sherlock:

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Yes, but that's exactly what I'd do if I were a deep-cover Russian spy and seeking to gaslight my simple-minded dupe of a husband into believing what I said even though every fibre of his being is telling me it's wrong. :sherlock:

You're right by God! The fiend! Quick, run, run like the wind for all love! We can take the 4:47 from Waterloo and be at Plumpwich-Upon-Sands before sunset. I'll wager we'll catch her there signalling to a U-boat!

Burney
08-29-2018, 03:23 PM
You're right by God! The fiend! Quick, run, run like the wind for all love! We can take the 4:47 from Waterloo and be at Plumpwich-Upon-Sands before sunset. I'll wager we'll catch her there signalling to a U-boat!

It's too late, I'd say. She'll have drifted back into the demi-monde whence she came by now. You'll never find her. She's probably holed up in a Limehouse opium den or somesuch.

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:28 PM
It's too late, I'd say. She'll have drifted back into the demi-monde whence she came by now. You'll never find her. She's probably holed up in a Limehouse opium den or somesuch.

Holed up with the chinks, is it? Dammit man, there must be something we can do! Wait! I have it! Her weak spot! Mr Fluffynoodleface!

Let's disembowel the fścker.

Burney
08-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Holed up with the chinks, is it? Dammit man, there must be something we can do! Wait! I have it! Her weak spot! Mr Fluffynoodleface!

Let's disembowel the fścker.

By the look of that picture, you'd be a while disembowelling him. He seems to be mostly bowel, in fact.

WES
08-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Unusual or unacceptable?

Acceptable but not as good as dumplings. Proper ones. Made with fat.

They're ace. :eat:

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Acceptable but not as good as dumplings. Proper ones. Made with fat.

They're ace. :eat:

I didn't say Yorkshire pudding or dumplings, did I?

Naturally there will be dumplings. Why wouldn't there be dumplings?

Viva Prat Vegas
08-29-2018, 03:43 PM
That ginger cat is surely in greater need of that treadmill than its weary owner

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:44 PM
I once was served up a rather large Yorkie with a slab of foie gras and some Branston pickle on the side.
A starter, a little unusual, deviancy perhaps but I really enjoyed it.

That's pretty far out actually, 7. I can sort of see it, but Branston? Didn't it rather overwhelm the liver?

WES
08-29-2018, 03:45 PM

Oh, I see. In that case it's wrong, I'm afraid.

Not terribly wrong, but wrong nonetheless. So just a :yellowcard: then

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:47 PM
Oh, I see. In that case it's wrong, I'm afraid.

Not terribly wrong, but wrong nonetheless. So just a :yellowcard: then

Wait, wait. They'll be Aunt Bessie's frozen ones, done in the microwave, then left under heat lamps for 45 minutes to go properly limp and dry.

You like the idea now, don't you? I can see your little Canuck tongue hanging out from here...

Viva Prat Vegas
08-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Have you ever seen Aunt Bessie's beef slices?
:vomit:

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Have you ever seen Aunt Bessie's beef slices?
:vomit:

I hope that's not a euphemism, s. She's older than wes' mum!

Sir C
08-29-2018, 03:50 PM
That ginger cat is surely in greater need of that treadmill than its weary owner

He's just a bit heavy-boned.

Viva Prat Vegas
08-29-2018, 03:53 PM
I'm no vet but that cat of yours may have a slightly underactive thyroid

Burney
08-29-2018, 03:58 PM
I'm no vet but that cat of yours may have a slightly underactive thyroid

An overactive pie-roid, more like. Amirite?

WES
08-29-2018, 04:04 PM
Wait, wait. They'll be Aunt Bessie's frozen ones, done in the microwave, then left under heat lamps for 45 minutes to go properly limp and dry.

You like the idea now, don't you? I can see your little Canuck tongue hanging out from here...

Nope :nono:

Just wrong. Like adding roast potatoes to that would be equally wrong.

Although why I'm wasting my time trying to explain food to a hubristic Dutchie I'll never know. :rolleyes:

Sir C
08-29-2018, 04:07 PM
An overactive pie-roid, more like. Amirite?

This is decent work, chum.

Burney
08-29-2018, 04:12 PM
This is decent work, chum.

Yeah. I feel a bit bad about calling your cat a fat cūnt, though. :-(

Sir C
08-29-2018, 04:47 PM
Yeah. I feel a bit bad about calling your cat a fat cūnt, though. :-(

Oh, he is what he is.

Pokster
08-30-2018, 08:57 AM

I would imagine that WES had the bestest Yorkshire Pud's at some slave built hotel in the UAE

Burney
08-30-2018, 09:19 AM
I would imagine that WES had the bestest Yorkshire Pud's at some slave built hotel in the UAE

I want to know if Sir C has reported his wife to MI5 and had her carted off yet.

'Batter pudding', indeed!

Sir C
08-30-2018, 09:22 AM
I want to know if Sir C has reported his wife to MI5 and had her carted off yet.

'Batter pudding', indeed!

She accused me of being 'parochial' when I questioned her about it, which confused me. :-(

Burney
08-30-2018, 09:35 AM
She accused me of being 'parochial' when I questioned her about it, which confused me. :-(

No more parochial than calling - say - Pommes Lyonnaise by their proper name, surely? Or would she insist on calling them 'potatoes cooked with onions'?