PDA

View Full Version : N17 Refurb

The Insider
08-14-2018, 04:12 PM
I take it that no-one on here is laughing their metaphorical cocks off at the shambles up the road.

I know that we were aware of their troubles a while ago, but it still makes me chuckle.

Obviously the costs of the renovations had ni impact on them not spending a brass fathing in the transfer window

And don't surprised if they don't get in at all this season.

Tornado
08-14-2018, 11:04 PM
Jumbotron stadia dont work - the real cock up was moving out of Highbury

Yesterday Once More
08-15-2018, 05:54 AM

Exactly. You would think they would learn from the case study that we were generous enough to provide them with. In relative terms (to what they had achieved over the past 50 years) they were in a good place when they upped sticks, as were we. They may well come to regret the move as much as we surely do.

Tony C
08-15-2018, 07:23 AM
I can’t remember but what was our situation?

Was it really that impossible to increase the other stands?

IUFG
08-15-2018, 08:43 AM

There really was nowhere to go on the Avenell Road or Highbury Hill sides.

Blame Wenger for the move to the Arab Bowl... :hide:

7sisters
08-15-2018, 09:14 AM
There really was nowhere to go on the Avenell Road or Highbury Hill sides.

Blame Wenger for the move to the Arab Bowl... :hide:

On balance,it was the only way for the club to move forward and maintain its place amongst the top clubs in Europe.
Of course the best way to engineer a low cost upgrade is to swoop in, following an Olympic or Commonwealth event..

Burney
08-15-2018, 09:51 AM

Man City - Stadium Capacity - 55,097
Man United - Stadium Capacity - 74,994
Chelsea - Stadium Capacity - 41,631
Liverpool - Stadium Capacity - 54,074
Tottenham - New stadium capacity - 62,062

Maximum capacity of Highbury - 38,419

Do you see the problem?

Burney
08-15-2018, 09:53 AM

Yes. It was impossible structurally and legally. Do you not think they'd have rather done that if it had been feasible?

Tony C
08-15-2018, 10:10 AM
I’ve totally forgotten about all the nitty gritty ins and outs of this.

All I remember is us having to look after the pennies when Abramovic swooped in, bought Chelsea and changed all of the financials.

Burney
08-15-2018, 10:25 AM
I’ve totally forgotten about all the nitty gritty ins and outs of this.

All I remember is us having to look after the pennies when Abramovic swooped in, bought Chelsea and changed all of the financials.

The main problem with the move from Highbury was that the plan was (quite reasonably) predicated on the status quo of us and United slugging it out for top spot. The idea was that AW's contacts and eye for a player would mean we could get quality in cheap to see us through the hiatus. As you say, Abramovitch moved the goalposts. Suddenly, players like Drogba and Essien - who would have been natural AW signings - were being lured away by Chelsea for more than we'd pay, plus we lost Cole to them and players like Vieira and Henry were looking elsewhere. This happened at a time when we simply didn't have the money to compete and we've essentially been playing catch-up ever since. The timing of Abramovich's arrival probably hit us harder than anyone.

redgunamo
08-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Man City - Stadium Capacity - 55,097
Man United - Stadium Capacity - 74,994
Chelsea - Stadium Capacity - 41,631
Liverpool - Stadium Capacity - 54,074
Tottenham - New stadium capacity - 62,062

Maximum capacity of Highbury - 38,419

Do you see the problem?

And we weren't to know they'd start selling the television broadcast rights for billions, making gate receipts almost irrelevant, were we :-\

Probably even took Abramovich by surprise, that #StanKnows

Burney
08-15-2018, 10:43 AM
And we weren't to know they'd start selling the television broadcast rights for billions, making gate receipts almost irrelevant, were we :-\

Probably even took Abramovich by surprise, that #StanKnows

:nod: We were remarkably unlucky in a number of quite unforseeable ways, which is why blaming AW is so monstrously unfair.

IUFG
08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
...which is why blaming AW is so monstrously unfair.

as this particular type of window of opportunity is so very short; one should always blame the recently departed employee, b.

a bit like your previous company are doing now ;-)

redgunamo
08-15-2018, 11:13 AM
:nod: We were remarkably unlucky in a number of quite unforseeable ways, which is why blaming AW is so monstrously unfair.

No, it's not unfair at all, if you're going to bang on about your economics degree, imo. Stolz kommt es vor dem Fall and a' that.

Ash
08-15-2018, 11:48 AM
No, it's not unfair at all, if you're going to bang on about your economics degree, imo. Stolz kommt es vor dem Fall and a' that.

Did he bang on about it?

redgunamo
08-15-2018, 12:15 PM
Did he bang on about it?

Obviously He must've done if everybody knows.

Burney
08-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Obviously He must've done if everybody knows.

Everyone knows that the dismal science is certainly dismal, but most definitely isn't a science.

If economics degrees were of any use for predicting future events, we'd never have recessions.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-15-2018, 01:19 PM

about financial doping he was whining that other teams were beating us because of their refusal to join in our game of flicky-flicky-pass-pass.

Burney
08-15-2018, 01:33 PM
about financial doping he was whining that other teams were beating us because of their refusal to join in our game of flicky-flicky-pass-pass.

Yes, but I'm not sure you're really the chap to judge him, h. You always found his erudition, calm and decency threatening due to you being a barely-educated jobbie-botherer with all the class and decorum of a steel puddler's underpants.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Yes, but I'm not sure you're really the chap to judge him, h. You always found his erudition, calm and decency threatening due to you being a barely-educated jobbie-botherer with all the class and decorum of a steel puddler's underpants.

Well I say old chap, that really is rather rum* don'cha think?

Why is it, do you suppose b, that a man so erudite and learned never really mastered the english language and spoke it like a second rate actor guesting in 'Allo 'allo? For some reason, I always imagined him having the most frightful halitosis too.

*every word true

redgunamo
08-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Everyone knows that the dismal science is certainly dismal, but most definitely isn't a science.

If economics degrees were of any use for predicting future events, we'd never have recessions.

Yes, you say that now it's mostly turned out to be meaningless bollócks. At the time though, there was a certain pride in the fact that our manager had been to university.

Anyway, it certainly seems to have served Him well. The key economic conundrum is always: What's in it for me. He answered that one well enough.

And there will always be recessions regardless, because, with very few exceptions, people are incredibly stupid when it comes to money. And that includes most of the experts :shrug:

redgunamo
08-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Right. And the new chap will be just the same. They're all professionals nowadays, see. They don't make mistakes.

WES
08-15-2018, 02:38 PM

I don't think people blame him for the lack of success circa 2006 - 2011. As you said, he couldn't have predicted Abramovich and then City and everyone supported the youth experiment because Wenger had a right to that level of support given how well he performed and also because I think everyone was quite excited by the idea of the genius talent evaluator building a team of young players that would grow together.

However once the experiment had failed and more money began to appear as the new sponsor deals arrived, his performance began to degrade and it became clear that he needed to adapt. Something which - sadly - he was incapable of.

It's all about Unai now. :cloud9:

Burney
08-15-2018, 02:48 PM
I don't think people blame him for the lack of success circa 2006 - 2011. As you said, he couldn't have predicted Abramovich and then City and everyone supported the youth experiment because Wenger had a right to that level of support given how well he performed and also because I think everyone was quite excited by the idea of the genius talent evaluator building a team of young players that would grow together.

However once the experiment had failed and more money began to appear as the new sponsor deals arrived, his performance began to degrade and it became clear that he needed to adapt. Something which - sadly - he was incapable of.

It's all about Unai now. :cloud9:

I'm not sure about that. I certainly heard a lot of complaints about him from 2006 to 2011.

However, I do wonder whether he suffered because fans' expectations were raised to a level it became impossible to satisfy. The expectations generated when we made the move (that the club would emerge rich and powerful once the stadium was paid for) were reasonable at the time. However, everything changed in the interim and that made it impossible to match reality with expectations.

Did Wenger make mistakes? Absolutely. But was the complete transformation of the football landscape between 2006 and 2014 (when the stadium was actually paid off) his fault or could he have done anything to stop it? No.

The Insider
08-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Can we please cease and desist with these semi-reasoned points about us and return to the point of this post, namely.....

'Let's all laugh at Tottenham'

It's been a while and may be some time before we can again, so let's let them have it!!

Sir C
08-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Can we please cease and desist with these semi-reasoned points about us and return to the point of this post, namely.....

'Let's all laugh at Tottenham'

It's been a while and may be some time before we can again, so let's let them have it!!

They're going to be shít this season. Trust me in this matter.

Burney
08-15-2018, 03:11 PM
They're going to be shít this season. Trust me in this matter.

Shítter than us, though? THAT is the question.

Sir C
08-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Shítter than us, though? THAT is the question.

God no. We're going to be quite phenomenally shít, I'm afraid.

IUFG
08-15-2018, 03:31 PM

until January.

at that point the powder-puff pansies will be kicked into touch and the proper players will start to come in

:cloud9:

Burney
08-15-2018, 03:34 PM

I thought as much. :-(

EMERY OUT.

redgunamo
08-15-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure about that. I certainly heard a lot of complaints about him from 2006 to 2011.

However, I do wonder whether he suffered because fans' expectations were raised to a level it became impossible to satisfy. The expectations generated when we made the move (that the club would emerge rich and powerful once the stadium was paid for) were reasonable at the time. However, everything changed in the interim and that made it impossible to match reality with expectations.

Did Wenger make mistakes? Absolutely. But was the complete transformation of the football landscape between 2006 and 2014 (when the stadium was actually paid off) his fault or could he have done anything to stop it? No.

Fair enough. He was partly a victim of the economic miracle He himself, and we, our football club, helped to create.

Ash
08-15-2018, 04:11 PM

It was a 25-year mortgage ISTR. By the time it's paid off Spurs might have finished theirs.

Ash
08-15-2018, 04:13 PM
until January.

at that point the powder-puff pansies will be kicked into touch and the proper players will start to come in

:cloud9:

Um, I read somewhere that there's not much money available in January. Something about an inflated wage-bill.

redgunamo
08-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Um, I read somewhere that there's not much money available in January. Something about an inflated wage-bill.

:-( #UnaiOut

A new manager is like a trophy.