PDA

View Full Version : Now I don't really care about James Bond films as they're really stupid, but

Burney
08-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Idris Elba being made the new James Bond would strike me as a fairly major 'fúck you' to the sort of people who are.

Apart from anything else, surely Hollywood must have noticed by now that this sort of 'woke' stunt casting is not exactly box office dynamite?

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Idris Elba being made the new James Bond would strike me as a fairly major 'fúck you' to the sort of people who are.

Apart from anything else, surely Hollywood must have noticed by now that this sort of 'woke' stunt casting is not exactly box office dynamite?
That's all very well and all that (and given they haven't even started filming the "last" Daniel Craig one and Eon, with whom I have done some work in the past, are notoriously slow to make any decisions, I doubt this is anything more than groundless gossip), but what's the weather like over there?

Burney
08-10-2018, 08:47 AM
That's all very well and all that (and given they haven't even started filming the "last" Daniel Craig one and Eon, with whom I have done some work in the past, are notoriously slow to make any decisions, I doubt this is anything more than groundless gossip), but what's the weather like over there?

Oh, I know. I'm just musing on the rumour, really. It just seems to me that messing about with a 65 year-old canon to pander to some silly idea of diversity is a fairly risky move.

It's fine and clear, la. 4 day test match ahoy!

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Oh, I know. I'm just musing on the rumour, really. It just seems to me that messing about with a 65 year-old canon to pander to some silly idea of diversity is a fairly risky move.

Of course, thing is they also aren't stupid - they'll only pander to some silly idea of diversity if they think it will make them more money, which as you say is unlikely. Just paying lip service to the idea keeps them in the news between films (see also Colin Salmon rumours pre/post-Brosnan.

Excellent news on the weather - now to to win the toss
Excellent

Burney
08-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Of course, thing is they also aren't stupid - they'll only pander to some silly idea of diversity if they think it will make them more money, which as you say is unlikely. Just paying lip service to the idea keeps them in the news between films (see also Colin Salmon rumours pre/post-Brosnan.

Excellent news on the weather - now to to win the toss
Excellent

That is my assumption, too. Apart from anything else, Elba's likely to be about 50 by the time a new Bond film appears. Assuming he were to sign on for 5 to 10 years, he'd be getting on for Roger Moore in View To A Kill levels of oldness.

However, Hollywood has done some pretty stupid stuff. All-female Ghostbusters 2, anyone?

Ash
08-10-2018, 09:03 AM

Rain at eleven.

Three day test.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-10-2018, 09:03 AM

enough. It's time James Bond was a fat black lesbian woman in a wheelchair. I would have said jewish too but then every ****'d hate her.

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 09:06 AM
That is my assumption, too. Apart from anything else, Elba's likely to be about 50 by the time a new Bond film appears. Assuming he were to sign on for 5 to 10 years, he'd be getting on for Roger Moore in View To A Kill levels of oldness.

However, Hollywood has done some pretty stupid stuff. All-female Ghostbusters 2, anyone?

5ft tall Tom Cruise as 6ft 5 Jack Reacher :( That annoys me more than anything

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:09 AM
enough. It's time James Bond was a fat black lesbian woman in a wheelchair. I would have said jewish too but then every ****'d hate her.

How dare you, h? I am much more woke than you.

Personally, I think they should spraypaint Michelangelo's David brown (and give him a bigger cock); paint a burqa on Botticelli's Venus and produce a dub version of Beethoven's Eroica to replace the original.

That's how much all these manifestations of white 'culture' disgust me.

Tony C
08-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Vodka Martini replaces with a Dark N Stormy....quite partial to that drink too.

Kind of grateful they aren’t even thinking of the next double O being a woman.

Seems to be the hot trend right now...Female Ghostbusters, Female Oceans, Female Terminator and now I’m hearing they’ve even got a female Predator

https://www.themarysue.com/female-predator/

Yep she’s got some titties on her....or it...not sure how gender works with aliens imo

Sir C
08-10-2018, 09:16 AM

There's no reason Bond shouldn't be black, though. There's no canonical thread that directly links Sean Connery to Daniel Craig other than a shared name and general theme. If we were to stick strictly to the terms of the books, Bond would be about 116.

Connery was identifiable as Fleming's Bond and the films were based on his writing. The films which followed Connery have been Bond in name only. His next incarnation could easily be black, Asian, female or a dog.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-10-2018, 09:19 AM
How dare you, h? I am much more woke than you.

Personally, I think they should spraypaint Michelangelo's David brown (and give him a bigger cock); paint a burqa on Botticelli's Venus and produce a dub version of Beethoven's Eroica to replace the original.

That's how much all these manifestations of white 'culture' disgust me.

Well that's a little better but why should it be a cock on David? What's wrong with an enormous great gaping fanny eh? Are you a misogynist b?

7sisters
08-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Ralph Fienes as the next Shaft ?

You’d think they’d have learned about the limits of adaptation with Idris following that comedy turd he served up on Sky recently.

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 09:25 AM
There's no reason Bond shouldn't be black, though. There's no canonical thread that directly links Sean Connery to Daniel Craig other than a shared name and general theme. If we were to stick strictly to the terms of the books, Bond would be about 116.

Connery was identifiable as Fleming's Bond and the films were based on his writing. The films which followed Connery have been Bond in name only. His next incarnation could easily be black, Asian, female or a dog.
Trouble is they have tried to link the character back to his origins (in particular in Skyfall), so it would be weird if he suddenly became black, while all the other characters remained the same. Though nothing to stop them completely changing direction as you say. Personally, I would go with a puma as JB - or a shark

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:25 AM

OK, let's ignore the canon and talk in terms of the brand. The (highly successful) brand is that he's a white, upper middle-class British man.

Also, he's called James, so him being a woman would be pretty weird.

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Trouble is they have tried to link the character back to his origins (in particular in Skyfall), so it would be weird if he suddenly became black, while all the other characters remained the same. Though nothing to stop them completely changing direction as you say. Personally, I would go with a puma as JB - or a shark

A shark would be good. Although somewhat limiting in terms of story line. He'd only be able to foil the dastardly plots of Her Majesty's more sea-bound enemies.

On Her Majesty's Sea-creature Service?

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 09:30 AM
A shark would be good. Although somewhat limiting in terms of story line. He'd only be able to foil the dastardly plots of Her Majesty's more sea-bound enemies.

On Her Majesty's Sea-creature Service?

Maybe with a whale as villain in View to A Krill?

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Maybe with a whale as villain in View to A Krill?

Fishfinger?

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Fishfinger?

Octopuss...oh. :-(

Sir C
08-10-2018, 09:32 AM
OK, let's ignore the canon and talk in terms of the brand. The (highly successful) brand is that he's a white, upper middle-class British man.

The brand is that he's an English (Scottish?) gentleman with impeccable taste and a decent line in running shooting punching driving and shiz. And he's cool.

He could easily be a she. Or Afro-Caribbean, or Anglo-Indian. It makes no difference now.

redgunamo
08-10-2018, 09:34 AM

Ignoring the canon wouldn't do either, as that would defeat the whole point and object. Re-writing the canon, re-writing history itself is what it's all about.

Sir C

Well, yes, but they haven't taken him back to being a ruthless sex criminal who doesn't hesitate to torture women to achieve his goals, have they?

Bond hasn't been Bond since Connery, so, pfff.

Burney
The brand is that he's an English (Scottish?) gentleman with impeccable taste and a decent line in running shooting punching driving and shiz. And he's cool.

He could easily be a she. Or Afro-Caribbean, or Anglo-Indian. It makes no difference now.

Well in that case I think red should play him. At least he's not common.

Sir C
08-10-2018, 09:35 AM
Well in that case I think red should play him. At least he's not common.

red should play him as a white trans woman who identifies as a black lesbian.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
08-10-2018, 09:36 AM

So you are, quite deliberately I feel, excluding disabled folk like me by saying he can't be in a wheelchair? For shame.

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:36 AM
a ruthless sex criminal who doesn't hesitate to torture women to achieve his goals

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Sir C
08-10-2018, 09:37 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing.

:hehe: He's quite rapey in the books, inasmuch as he doesn't really take no for an answer, but continues to press his suit until swooning and compliance occurs.

Naughty jb #metoo

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Ignoring the canon wouldn't do either, as that would defeat the whole point and object. Re-writing the canon, re-writing history itself is what it's all about.

Well yes. We do seem to have decided to go a bit Year Zero on western civilisation don't we? I blame that stinking old fraud Gandhi.

Oh, well. We had a good run, I suppose.

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Fishfinger?

Don't even need to change Octopussy - might make a much better film though

This is getting a kicking critically but I do quite want to see The Meg - Jason Statham v a prehistoric shark
http://www.themeg.movie

Ash
08-10-2018, 09:39 AM
If Bond can be 116 then why not explore earlier eras?

A Napoleonic Bond, perhaps, in From Prussia with Love.

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Well, yes, but they haven't taken him back to being a ruthless sex criminal who doesn't hesitate to torture women to achieve his goals, have they?

Bond hasn't been Bond since Connery, so, pfff.
You can't have everything

Sir C
08-10-2018, 09:42 AM
If Bond can be 116 then why not explore earlier eras?

A Napoleonic Bond, perhaps, in From Prussia with Love.

I like it, I like it. Also, why do we have to see him from a western perspective? How about a Buddhist Bond in You Only Live 3,678 Times.

Burney
08-10-2018, 09:46 AM
I like it, I like it. Also, why do we have to see him from a western perspective? How about a Buddhist Bond in You Only Live 3,678 Times.

A Bond with better sexual etiquette in Dr No Means No?

Ash
08-10-2018, 09:52 AM

:hehe:

Thor could be the villain in Thunderbolt.

Tony C
08-10-2018, 09:57 AM
https://youtu.be/9RRhhewFqyw

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 09:58 AM
:hehe:

Thor could be the villain in Thunderbolt.
I would definitely watch the Man With the Golden Gnu

redgunamo
08-10-2018, 10:33 AM

Actually, Bond is the topic of today's wine quiz question: Which brand of champagne does he mostly prefer. He started with Dom, I think, in the early days. Then changed to Bolly.

Burney
08-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Actually, Bond is the topic of today's wine quiz question: Which brand of champagne does he mostly prefer. He started with Dom, I think, in the early days. Then changed to Bolly.

https://www.decanter.com/wine-news/opinion/the-editors-blog/which-wines-did-flemings-james-bond-drink-279823/

Viva Prat Vegas
08-10-2018, 10:45 AM
We can't have Red as Bond
He's far too suave for the role

Mind you , the franchise was way ahead of the curve when Felix Leiter turned black for Live And Let Die in '73

Burney
08-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Mind you , the franchise was way ahead of the curve when Felix Leiter turned black for Live And Let Die in '73

I think Live and Let Die is the only one I've seen all the way through. Not from start to finish, but I think I've absorbed it all over the years. It's the one with all the voodoo, isn't it?

Viva Prat Vegas
08-10-2018, 11:01 AM
:nod:
New Orleans, cocaine, Wings, a henchman with a mechanical arm, crocodile stepping stones, a routemaster, local inhabitants laughing at the honky, etc.

Burney
08-10-2018, 11:05 AM
New Orleans, cocaine, Wings, a henchman with a mechanical arm, crocodile stepping stones, a routemaster, local inhabitants laughing at the honky, etc.

Crocodile? Surely alligators in that neck of the bayou?

Ash
08-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Crocodile? Surely alligators in that neck of the bayou?

They all look the same to me.

Ash
08-10-2018, 11:56 AM

I like the bit where Mech-Arm gets his string cut and is helplessly attached to the rail in the train before being defenestrated. Needless to say, he has the last laugh!

Ash
08-10-2018, 12:02 PM
And another thing, notice how all the joke fillum names we did are from the first ten or twelve. Because after that the names are indistinct and unmemorable. Live a little that. Die a little the other. I can't remember what any of them are actually called.

Burney
08-10-2018, 12:03 PM
They all look the same to me.

Apart from the fact that crocodiles are about three times the size, of course.

Ash
08-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Good shout, Viva. Burnley must have been well vexed. :-)

Burney
08-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Good shout, Viva. Burnley must have been well vexed. :-)

As I gurgled in my cradle and shat myself back in 73 I was undoubtedly a ball of outrage.

Ash
08-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Apart from the fact that crocodiles are about three times the size, of course.

But they can be disarmed with a pencil and a rubber band. It said so on QI.

Or maybe that was alligators.

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2018, 01:09 PM
And another thing, notice how all the joke fillum names we did are from the first ten or twelve. Because after that the names are indistinct and unmemorable. Live a little that. Die a little the other. I can't remember what any of them are actually called.

Quantum of Sole-bass could have worked

Burney
08-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Quantum of Sole-bass could have worked

Barramun-Die Another Day?

redgunamo
08-10-2018, 03:08 PM

You're too kind. I only drink beer. And the occasional dram or two for medicinal purposes.

eastgermanautos
08-10-2018, 05:53 PM

BLACKS !!!

Not really true though. Yes, Asian peoples don't like and are scared of blacks as a rule, and this cuts into a film's expected profits. But if a dark-complected person can break through, the world is their oyster. Cf Will Smith. With that being said, I think Idris is too old. Also, while he's a good looking dude, he's not such a great actor. He's no Don Cheadle, nor even a David Oyelewo.

But then I realize this is just James Bond, so who gives a sh!t.