PDA

View Full Version : the mood at the club seems a happy one (for now)

Pat Vegas
07-31-2018, 08:58 AM
Auba seems the most happy footballer I've ever seen.

From what they show it seems the whole team is included in the fun and games.

I even saw Ozil smiling.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 09:10 AM

I even saw Ozil smiling.

I agree, it's all deeply worrying.

Aubamayang, Lacazette and Ozil could be the forward trio to do something very, very special this season.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:21 AM
I agree, it's all deeply worrying.

Aubamayang, Lacazette and Ozil could be the forward trio to do something very, very special this season.

:hehe: Under the dago Chauncey Gardiner? Some chance...

I'm assuming we'll only have to put up with the c*nt for 6 months before we're begging Him to come back.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 09:26 AM

I'm assuming we'll only have to put up with the c*nt for 6 months before we're begging Him to come back.

You may laugh, but other than the three European Tin Pots with Sevilla, he's hardly had a glorious career, has he?

I see it going one of three ways:

1. It's a Wenger-like miracle and we win the league.
2. He adds some stricter tactics and the squad plays to its potential and we finish 4th or 5th.
3. We're a bit rubbish as he struggles to deal with the premier league and we finish 8th.

As you can see, I have a deep and insightful knowledge of the game and this allows me to produse this sort of ground-breaking analysis.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:35 AM
You may laugh, but other than the three European Tin Pots with Sevilla, he's hardly had a glorious career, has he?

I see it going one of three ways:

1. It's a Wenger-like miracle and we win the league.
2. He adds some stricter tactics and the squad plays to its potential and we finish 4th or 5th.
3. We're a bit rubbish as he struggles to deal with the premier league and we finish 8th.

As you can see, I have a deep and insightful knowledge of the game and this allows me to produse this sort of ground-breaking analysis.

Honestly, I couldn't be less interested. I'm going to watch our games with a vacant stare, possibly plotting an Allan-style attack against the vermin who forced Him out.

WES
07-31-2018, 09:35 AM

You're absolutely terrified he's going to be successful, aren't you Monty? :hehe:

So far he's done exactly what so many of the support that you routinely denigrate wanted him to do and that Wenger refused to do. Imagine if he then gets us back into the top four and we - finally - take a good run at the league again? You'd be devastated, admit it. And if we somehow won the league you'd probably explode. :clap:

And this from a man who refused to support England because it contained a few players who played for the rivals of the club you claim to love so much. :hehe:

WES
07-31-2018, 09:36 AM
Honestly, I couldn't be less interested. I'm going to watch our games with a vacant stare, possibly plotting an Allan-style attack against the vermin who forced Him out.

So you don't love Arsenal that much and your refusal to support England is even more bizarre and illogical. Nice one. :thumbup:

Sir C
07-31-2018, 09:37 AM
You're absolutely terrified he's going to be successful, aren't you Monty? :hehe:

So far he's done exactly what so many of the support that you routinely denigrate wanted him to do and that Wenger refused to do. Imagine if he then gets us back into the top four and we - finally - take a good run at the league again? You'd be devastated, admit it. And if we somehow won the league you'd probably explode. :clap:

And this from a man who refused to support England because it contained a few players who played for the rivals of the club you claim to love so much. :hehe:

You've got to learn to stop defining yourself by your perceived triumphs over other people.

It isn't healthy.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:38 AM
If your beloved wife - flawed though she may have been - was murdered and you were forced to marry some random bird who can't even pronounce the word "explaaaaaain", would your heart be in the marriage? :shrug:

Sir C
07-31-2018, 09:39 AM

You were very young in '96, I suppose. It will be a huge cultural shock even to those of us who are used to seeing strange faces in the dug out, so I'd imagine even worse for younger supporters who may really only remember Him. :-( :hug:

WES
07-31-2018, 09:40 AM
You've got to learn to stop defining yourself by your perceived triumphs over other people.

It isn't healthy.

Oh do f*ck off with that amateurish psychobabble nonsense!

Actually, that's probably fair. :-(

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:40 AM
So you don't love Arsenal that much and your refusal to support England is even more bizarre and illogical. Nice one. :thumbup:

My love of Arsenal is predicated on the individuals of whom it is composed. I don't love the institution - that would be weird.

WES
07-31-2018, 09:42 AM
If your beloved wife - flawed though she may have been - was murdered and you were forced to marry some random bird who can't even pronounce the word "explaaaaaain", would your heart be in the marriage? :shrug:

So your love for Wenger surpasses your love for Arsenal then? That's deeply weird and as I pointed out to you, seems to invalidate the stance you took on supporting England. What if Pochettino walks at the end of this year to Madrid and Wenger replaces him? :-)

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:44 AM
You were very young in '96, I suppose. It will be a huge cultural shock even to those of us who are used to seeing strange faces in the dug out, so I'd imagine even worse for younger supporters who may really only remember Him. :-( :hug:

Oh no, I remember George very well indeed. He meant a huge amount to me and played a pretty meaningful role in shaping my broad views on football.

But 20 years, man. It's not something I can just let go.

Peter
07-31-2018, 09:45 AM

If you didnt like the new Pope would you stop being a Catholic?*

*I know you aren't catholic

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:46 AM
If you didnt like the new Pope would you stop being a Catholic?*

*I know you aren't catholic

If you care about Jews, would you still vote for Corbyn?

*I know you don't care about Jews

Peter
07-31-2018, 09:46 AM
My love of Arsenal is predicated on the individuals of whom it is composed. I don't love the institution - that would be weird.

That would be supporting a football club.

Peter
07-31-2018, 09:47 AM
If you care about Jews, would you still vote for Corbyn?

*I know you don't care about Jews

Playing the race card....... that's pretty low

WES
07-31-2018, 09:47 AM
Oh no, I remember George very well indeed. He meant a huge amount to me and played a pretty meaningful role in shaping my broad views on football.

Be honest Monty - and this is really the point I have been trying to make, no one knows whether Wenger going was the right thing or wrong thing to do at this point - how much is your love for Wenger tied to your own ego and the kicking it will take, quite publicly, if Unai turns everything around and the Arsenal supporters who you so strongly criticized turn out to have been right all along?

I've always suspected that you would have been less bothered about Wenger leaving had you not spent so many years telling everyone that questioned him that they were know nothing cretins who needed a new hobby.*

Peter
07-31-2018, 09:49 AM
Be honest Monty - and this is really the point I have been trying to make, no one knows whether Wenger going was the right thing or wrong thing to do at this point - how much is your love for Wenger tied to your own ego and the kicking it will take, quite publicly, if Unai turns everything around and the Arsenal supporters who you so strongly criticized turn out to have been right all along?

I've always suspected that you would have been less bothered about Wenger leaving had you not spent so many years telling everyone that questioned him that they were know nothing cretins who needed a new hobby.*

Can you not just allow for the fact that Monty genuinely loved the man? It made him blind to some of his faults but love does that.

He is still in mourning....

Billy Goat Sverige
07-31-2018, 09:51 AM

I think it’s great. Monty is an effete ****flap.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 09:51 AM

It doesn't matter. Holding a different opion to another internet user isn't that important. You don't need to chase him around and batter him because he thinks differently to you.

Take a chill pill. Gel out. Find your neutral space. If necessary, take your frustrations out on the wife, like the Irish do. But aim for the kidneys, not the face.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 09:54 AM

Oh well, in that case, pull yourself together you self-indulgent little brat.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:54 AM

Except I've endlessly said that there's every chance whoever replaces Wenger will improve us.

You can't just ignore the fact that I've said this time and time again, however much you try.

This does not make it untrue that vast amounts of the criticism of him over the years has been deeply moronic.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Can you not just allow for the fact that Monty genuinely loved the man? It made him blind to some of his faults but love does that.

He is still in mourning....

See? You can do empathy and compassion for a Jew.

How does it feel?

WES
07-31-2018, 09:57 AM
It doesn't matter. Holding a different opion to another internet user isn't that important. You don't need to chase him around and batter him because he thinks differently to you.

Take a chill pill. Gel out. Find your neutral space. If necessary, take your frustrations out on the wife, like the Irish do. But aim for the kidneys, not the face.

Can't I take even a little joy from the possibility of Monty looking a complete knob if the football club we support does really well this year? It's a win-win scenario. :shrug:

BTW - I passed your glw the other week after work, I wasn't at all offended that she didn't recognize me and stop and say hello. It would have been about 6pm or so on the Embankment, I was walking towards Waterloo, she was walking very intently towards Blackfriars.

P.S. if it turns out she was on her way to meet her lover and this comes out because of this information and your marriage - in which you are both very happy - dissolves because of this please allow me to extend my profuse apologies for my involvement.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 09:58 AM

How does it feel?

Be fair, he expected you to work for it, and as he always says, 'Work makes you free'.

WES
07-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Except I've endlessly said that there's every chance whoever replaces Wenger will improve us.

You can't just ignore the fact that I've said this time and time again, however much you try.

This does not make it untrue that vast amounts of the criticism of him over the years has been deeply moronic.

Yeah I know you've said that a few times - not endlessly, mind.

But I don't believe you. It was just damage limitation imo.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Can't I take even a little joy from the possibility of Monty looking a complete knob if the football club we support does really well this year? It's a win-win scenario. :shrug:

BTW - I passed your glw the other week after work, I wasn't at all offended that she didn't recognize me and stop and say hello. It would have been about 6pm or so on the Embankment, I was walking towards Waterloo, she was walking very intently towards Blackfriars.

P.S. if it turns out she was on her way to meet her lover and this comes out because of this information and your marriage - in which you are both very happy - dissolves because of this please allow me to extend my profuse apologies for my involvement.

Well he won't 'look a complete knob', he'll just be someone who thought something different to you. You must learn this difference.

The glw is always focussed when walking to achieve her daily target of 14,000 steps.

As I am unable to satisfy her physical needs she takes her pleasure where she can.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Playing the race card....... that's pretty low

:nod: They are though, as a rule, aren't they? Low enough to crawl under a rock wearing a top hat! Haha! That's a good one, you could use that down the CLP meetings, they'll love that :thumbup:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
07-31-2018, 10:09 AM

I even saw Ozil smiling.

A fit Santi was the happiest player I've ever seen. I so wish him well with his new club, I just reckon that whoever didn't give him a one year extension to prove his fitness here should be shot for treason.

Peter
07-31-2018, 10:10 AM

How does it feel?

Nothing feels like anything these days. I am just numb. Days stretch out like bleak,desolate landscapes- barren, shorn of all that enriches and nourishes the soul.

I am vacant. I am the abyss. I am alone. I am a rock. I am an island.

See, I even quote jews.....

Sir C
07-31-2018, 10:12 AM
A fit Santi was the happiest player I've ever seen. I so wish him well with his new club, I just reckon that whoever didn't give him a one year extension to prove his fitness here should be shot for treason.

Remember his little dance when he took that free kick and Giroud scored? If I had a big lottery win I'd buy Santi just to have about the place. He could stand here on my desk like one of those football figures you used to get. But he wouldn't have a massive head.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 10:13 AM
Yeah I know you've said that a few times - not endlessly, mind.

But I don't believe you. It was just damage limitation imo.

There's little point in me ever engaging with you if you don't believe the words I use to describe my own perspective.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 10:15 AM
I think it’s great. Monty is an effete ****flap.

You have no lasting affection for Arsene? To be fair, and I mean absolutely no offence by this, you are a peculiarly soulless young chap. Do you have any Irish in you, as far as you know?

07-31-2018, 10:16 AM

I would love him to succeed. I just don't think the Septic will cough up enough for us ever to again.

Look what the Scousers spent. Look when GG came behind sperz. DB10 and Platt. That's what this squad needed in addition to these signings. But the yank's too tight. And if Rambo goes, we're not really much stronger than we were in Feb when Kos was fit.

I would love an AW type miracle. I just thing the Banner Chavs brigade went for the wrong target. Yes, AW was going senile, but it's the yank. He's signed off on that gree shirt without a red badge. Hope he fücking dies.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
07-31-2018, 10:20 AM

How does it feel?

vent on top of the chamber.

07-31-2018, 10:22 AM

Then it clearly can't be a family thing.

I'd been bought up to love the Arsenal before I ever saw them live, or even on TV. {Back then MotD only had one match, it was always LFC and went out well beyond a 7 year old's bedtime.)

I had wrongly assumed it was like that for everyone.

We normally had French camping hols but when I was 13, we went to a hotel on Crete and it was ace and really lushly hot. But my main joy? Dad getting a Sunday paper and seeing we'd won 4-0 in the first game. The best result of any team that day. Meaning that for the first time in my life, we were top of the league on GD, even though they didn't publish the table.

sad though it may be, I love the institution of the Arsenal. Which is why I want the Spetic dead. Cos he doesn't.

Peter
07-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Then it clearly can't be a family thing.

I'd been bought up to love the Arsenal before I ever saw them live, or even on TV. {Back then MotD only had one match, it was always LFC and went out well beyond a 7 year old's bedtime.)

I had wrongly assumed it was like that for everyone.

We normally had French camping hols but when I was 13, we went to a hotel on Crete and it was ace and really lushly hot. But my main joy? Dad getting a Sunday paper and seeing we'd won 4-0 in the first game. The best result of any team that day. Meaning that for the first time in my life, we were top of the league on GD, even though they didn't publish the table.

sad though it may be, I love the institution of the Arsenal. Which is why I want the Spetic dead. Cos he doesn't.

I love the institution as well because it is a family thing for me, right back to to the turn of the last century. Four generations of my family on both sides stood on the terraces at Highbury so I was handed the club as a life long article of faith, instead of a religion.

It isnt like that for everyone. Doesnt mean I am more passionate or more devoted than others- it just means something a bit different.

To someone like Monty it probably does seem a bit weird. I suppose it is, in a way.

07-31-2018, 10:31 AM
Remember his little dance when he took that free kick and Giroud scored? If I had a big lottery win I'd buy Santi just to have about the place. He could stand here on my desk like one of those football figures you used to get. But he wouldn't have a massive head.

Exactly. Surely if we got a keeper, Campbel and Perez off the books, we could pay Santi just to hang around for another season, smiling at everyone and imparting football wisdom on the training ground.

07-31-2018, 10:33 AM
I love the institution as well because it is a family thing for me, right back to to the turn of the last century. Four generations of my family on both sides stood on the terraces at Highbury so I was handed the club as a life long article of faith, instead of a religion.

It isnt like that for everyone. Doesnt mean I am more passionate or more devoted than others- it just means something a bit different.

To someone like Monty it probably does seem a bit weird. I suppose it is, in a way.

Oh, I agree. My grandad may have had season tickets since the 30s or 40s, but I stopped going perhaps 6 years ago. So any red member is a better fan than I.

But I just thought most people got the fandom passed down and hence they loved the institution before they had seen any players.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 10:37 AM

Arsenal's in my family too. Dad and grandad grew up in the shadows of Highbury, yada yada.

The institution is of course what I love, but it's individuals who embody the institution and take on its history and values. So my loyalty is to them, rather than the abstract concept of an institution.

Loyalty to the individual is the only meaningful form of loyalty that can exist in football, and is ultimately why my position on this is more ethically, intellectually and spiritually pure than yours.

Billy Goat Sverige
07-31-2018, 10:47 AM
I would love him to succeed. I just don't think the Septic will cough up enough for us ever to again.

Look what the Scousers spent. Look when GG came behind sperz. DB10 and Platt. That's what this squad needed in addition to these signings. But the yank's too tight. And if Rambo goes, we're not really much stronger than we were in Feb when Kos was fit.

I would love an AW type miracle. I just thing the Banner Chavs brigade went for the wrong target. Yes, AW was going senile, but it's the yank. He's signed off on that gree shirt without a red badge. Hope he fücking dies.

Yeah, ****ing yank only letting us spend £270m in the last two years. What a ****.

Peter
07-31-2018, 10:58 AM
Arsenal's in my family too. Dad and grandad grew up in the shadows of Highbury, yada yada.

The institution is of course what I love, but it's individuals who embody the institution and take on its history and values. So my loyalty is to them, rather than the abstract concept of an institution.

Loyalty to the individual is the only meaningful form of loyalty that can exist in football, and is ultimately why my position on this is more ethically, intellectually and spiritually pure than yours.

I thought it might be :****er:

Ash
07-31-2018, 11:41 AM

While after 22 years She still couldn't pronounce the words "leeeetle beeet".

Ash
07-31-2018, 11:43 AM

But loving the institution is exactly how football fandom works.

Not wierd.

Sir C
07-31-2018, 11:50 AM

Not wierd.

He’s drunk on the blood of Christian babies, that lad.

Viva Prat Vegas
07-31-2018, 11:50 AM
Ash "While after 22 years She still couldn't pronounce the words "leeeetle beeet"."

he could never get the hang of 'comfortable' either

"Comm-four-table"

Sir C
07-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Ash "While after 22 years She still couldn't pronounce the words "leeeetle beeet"."

"Comm-four-table"

He’s not dead, s.

Burney
07-31-2018, 11:52 AM

"Comm-four-table"

I think that if anything, his English got worse in the 22 years he spent here. I thought there was something rather endearing about that.

Burney
07-31-2018, 11:54 AM
He’s not dead, s.

He sort of is, though, isn't he? Remove a man's raison d'etre and can we truly call him alive?

Viva Prat Vegas
07-31-2018, 11:54 AM
His complexion was a touch chalky though

I am glad that release from the stresses and strains has brought him back to life

Peter
07-31-2018, 11:56 AM
I think that if anything, his English got worse in the 22 years he spent here. I thought there was something rather endearing about that.

Sir Geoffrey struggles with comfortable :)

Monty92
07-31-2018, 11:56 AM

Not wierd.

Of course, but it's individuals like Wenger who have made the institution one that we are inclined to love. And without loyalty to such individuals the notion of loving the institution becomes meaningless.

The question of course is where this loyalty ends. My own personal feeling is that Wenger earned something close to unconditional loyalty, though I wouldn't necessarily wish cancer on those who feel differently.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 11:57 AM
He sort of is, though, isn't he? Remove a man's raison d'etre and can we truly call him alive?

I'm treating my son like the mother in 'Goodbye Lenin'. He keeps singing Wenger's name and I have absolutely no intention of telling him he's not our manager anymore :hehe: :clap:

:-|

Burney
07-31-2018, 12:02 PM
I'm treating my son like the mother in 'Goodbye Lenin'. He keeps singing Wenger's name and I have absolutely no intention of telling him he's not our manager anymore :hehe: :clap:

:-|

My daughter was born in 1998. She has literally never known Arsenal without him.

Won't somebody think of the children, m? :-(

Ash
07-31-2018, 12:04 PM

How does anyone manage that, though? You need a mind that is almost hermetically sealed and resistant to change not to acquire more of the surrounding language by osmosis.

Oh.

Ash
07-31-2018, 12:06 PM

Michael Holding says it the best.

7sisters
07-31-2018, 12:07 PM
Well, I could never warm to him. He had that slightly wooden air. . One that nurtured respect but missed by a country mile, the affability exuded by Klopp.
This in no way detracts from his remarkable achievements but casts a slight flaw in how I personally regard his persona.
You know, the stiff in the room at a party,

Burney
07-31-2018, 12:09 PM
How does anyone manage that, though? You need a mind that is almost hermetically sealed and resistant to change not to acquire more of the surrounding language by osmosis.

Oh.

Yes. I think it's that he genuinely doesn't care and has no vanity or interest in how others perceive him.

He's basically a saint, a! :cry:

Burney
07-31-2018, 12:10 PM

He's from Yorkshire. One can't expect him to speak the language properly.

Ash
07-31-2018, 12:14 PM
Of course, but it's individuals like Wenger who have made the institution one that we are inclined to love. And without loyalty to such individuals the notion of loving the institution becomes meaningless.

The question of course is where this loyalty ends. My own personal feeling is that Wenger earned something close to unconditional loyalty, though I wouldn't necessarily wish cancer on those who feel differently.

Clough took Forest down in the end. Perhaps you'd say that he'd earned the right to do that. Perhaps he wasn't so good without Peter Taylor.

Monty92
07-31-2018, 12:18 PM
Clough took Forest down in the end. Perhaps you'd say that he'd earned the right to do that. Perhaps he wasn't so good without Peter Taylor.

No, I wouldn't say that. But the threshold was very high for me, certainly beyond the point that we reached last season, which was somewhat sabotaged by the Sanchez and Ozil sagas that were largely out of His control.

But to repeat, this is an emotionally-driven perspective. I've also acknowledged that footballistically he deserved to be sacked.

Pokster
07-31-2018, 12:48 PM
He's from Yorkshire. One can't expect him to speak the language properly.

:nono: we all speak the language properly, it's you irish immigrants that have ruined it