PDA

View Full Version : So post-Brexit there will be food and medicine shortages?

Sir C
07-30-2018, 10:11 AM
So once we are no longer a part of the EU, companies within the EU will refuse to sell us food and medicine?

What about cars. Do you think they'll still sell us cars?

I must say, it all sounds rather unlikely. Almost as if it's a load of scare-mongering cobblers. :shrug:

Tony C
07-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Hmm could make a nice side line on eBay imo

7sisters
07-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Indeed. I mean, I’ve no idea how this plays out but neither does anyone else. The amount of scare mongering on the part of the remainers is quite pathetic. Do they think that all trade will stop and that no one will be authorised to ship anything to the Uk.
Instead of carping on about how our GDP will reduce to that of Kenya’s in the next 12 months, why not spare a thought for how much of a detrimental effect a no deal position would have upon the EU.
Losers on all sides, not just over here.

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Indeed. I mean, I’ve no idea how this plays out but neither does anyone else. The amount of scare mongering on the part of the remainers is quite pathetic. Do they think that all trade will stop and that no one will be authorised to ship anything to the Uk.
Instead of carping on about how our GDP will reduce to that of Kenya’s in the next 12 months, why not spare a thought for how much of a detrimental effect a no deal position would have upon the EU.
Losers on all sides, not just over here.

"In a tense grilling by the Brexit Select Committee, the newly appointed Raab admitted food would have to be stockpiled."

That is from the incredibly pro-Brexit Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab in front of a Commons committee. Definitely just scaremongering by "pathetic" remainers. :rolleyes:

Monty92
07-30-2018, 12:09 PM
"In a tense grilling by the Brexit Select Committee, the newly appointed Raab admitted food would have to be stockpiled."

That is from the incredibly pro-Brexit Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab in front of a Commons committee. Definitely just scaremongering by "pathetic" remainers. :rolleyes:

"Incredibly pro-Brexit"??? He's on-board with the soft Brexit Chequers agreement, FFS! There's every reason to think scaremongering is in his interest.

Sir C
07-30-2018, 12:15 PM

Right. Did he explain what would cause this delay in food supplies arriving? Because we can be entirely sure that the EU won't begin charging duties on exports, and the import part of the equation is entirely in our own hands, so if there are food shortages, they will be of our own making. Which sounds quite unlikely, doesn't it?

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 12:20 PM
"Incredibly pro-Brexit"??? He's on-board with the soft Brexit Chequers agreement, FFS! There's every reason to think scaremongering is in his interest.
:shrug: Soft Brexit is still Brexit

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Right. Did he explain what would cause this delay in food supplies arriving? Because we can be entirely sure that the EU won't begin charging duties on exports, and the import part of the equation is entirely in our own hands, so if there are food shortages, they will be of our own making. Which sounds quite unlikely, doesn't it?
I'm sure he and others have, yes. There's quite a bit written on it

Sir C
07-30-2018, 12:31 PM
I'm sure he and others have, yes. There's quite a bit written on it

There has been a lot written. For example, I read the other day that there will be an immediate shortage of insulin, since insulin is not made in the UK.

Happily, the two companies which make insulin in the UK were pleased to debunk this lie, and the UK's largest supplier of insulin, in Norways, steated that there would be no reason for any interruption of supply whatsoever.

Writing something doesn't necessarily make it true, la.

WES
07-30-2018, 12:32 PM
:shrug: Soft Brexit is still Brexit

Not according to Burney. And a great many other people that voted Leave, I expect.

However, Brexit means Brexit so not too sure how there can be any uncertainty around any of this. :rolleyes:

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 12:45 PM
There has been a lot written. For example, I read the other day that there will be an immediate shortage of insulin, since insulin is not made in the UK.

Happily, the two companies which make insulin in the UK were pleased to debunk this lie, and the UK's largest supplier of insulin, in Norways, steated that there would be no reason for any interruption of supply whatsoever.

Writing something doesn't necessarily make it true, la.

Source?

From what I can tell the largest supplier to the UK is Novo Nordisk, who fiendishly, despite its name, is actually a Danish company.

Monty92
07-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Not according to Burney. And a great many other people that voted Leave, I expect.

However, Brexit means Brexit so not too sure how there can be any uncertainty around any of this. :rolleyes:

Brexit stills means Brexit, to everyone except the stupid c*nt who coined the phrase :shrug:

Ash
07-30-2018, 12:55 PM
From what I can tell the largest supplier to the UK is Novo Nordisk, who fiendishly, despite its name, is actually a Danish company.

I thought it had been long established on here that these Viking sorts essentially piss in the same pot.

Sir C
07-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Source?

My source would be Novo Nordisk, who, when asked about the potential for problems, replied, "Hi Rebecca. At present, we do not anticipate stock shortages. We are strongly committed to ensuring that patients treated with our medicines remain unaffected. Best regards Iben."

So that's sort of from the horse's mouth, really. :shrug:

I can't find any food suppliers explaining how they're going to withhold cabbages, either.

Sir C
07-30-2018, 01:05 PM
I thought it had been long established on here that these Viking sorts essentially piss in the same pot.

Did you go walking in the rain, a? #romantic

Ash
07-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Did you go walking in the rain, a? #romantic

Erm, no, not on Sunday. We've done rather a lot of that sort of thing oop norf, as you can imagine.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
07-30-2018, 01:22 PM

C, the problem, as I understand it, is that travel on ferries goes both ways. So even if we don't charge imports or even check them, the Frogs/EU have to. And once one side gets clogged up, no ships going the other way can sail.

We can let everything in, but as long as the EU maintains their regulations, import duties and checks then the whole trans-Channel transport infrastructure breaks down.

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 01:27 PM
My source would be Novo Nordisk, who, when asked about the potential for problems, replied, "Hi Rebecca. At present, we do not anticipate stock shortages. We are strongly committed to ensuring that patients treated with our medicines remain unaffected. Best regards Iben."

So that's sort of from the horse's mouth, really. :shrug:

I can't find any food suppliers explaining how they're going to withhold cabbages, either.
I don't think people are saying they are going to withhold food or medicine, but changes of regulation will cause disruption the supply chain.
And more importantly, why are you calling yourself Rebecca?

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 01:28 PM

gpwm ash.

I see Middlesex resorted to normal form again yesterday. Roll on proper cricket on Wednesday

SWv2
07-30-2018, 01:30 PM
C, the problem, as I understand it, is that travel on ferries goes both ways. So even if we don't charge imports or even check them, the Frogs/EU have to. And once one side gets clogged up, no ships going the other way can sail.

We can let everything in, but as long as the EU maintains their regulations, import duties and checks then the whole trans-Channel transport infrastructure breaks down.

I thought the whole point of Brexit was that you didn't want to let everything in.

Sir C
07-30-2018, 01:30 PM
I don't think people are saying they are going to withhold food or medicine, but changes of regulation will cause disruption the supply chain.
And more importantly, why are you calling yourself Rebecca?

So at the weekend I identify as Rebecca, and you object to that? Is it because you hate women or because you hate jews?

Sir C
07-30-2018, 01:33 PM

You know how long it takes to customs clear a consigment from outside the EU nowadays? A few seconds is how long. Things aren't done by customs officers wading through piles of cargo clutching invoices, bills of lading and certificates of origin any more. Customs entries are pre-loaded onto CHIEF and goods scanned and cleared as they enter the port. All this infrastructure exists to deal with non-EU goods already. :shrug:

Sir C
07-30-2018, 01:35 PM
I thought the whole point of Brexit was that you didn't want to let everything in.

It's the people we don't want, apparently. I'm told we're all racists now. :shrug:

Personally I've got nothing against Poles or Indians, but if we can keep the Belgians and the Irish out, I'll be happy.

SWv2
07-30-2018, 01:42 PM
It's the people we don't want, apparently. I'm told we're all racists now. :shrug:

Personally I've got nothing against Poles or Indians, but if we can keep the Belgians and the Irish out, I'll be happy.

Come now, you are the mongrel probably illegitimate spawn of an Irish maiden.

I expect you know that Limerick qualified for the All Ireland Hurling final yesterday, first time in over a decade. What time did the celebrations calm down in your house?

Sir C
07-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Come now, you are the mongrel probably illegitimate spawn of an Irish maiden.

I expect you know that Limerick qualified for the All Ireland Hurling final yesterday, first time in over a decade. What time did the celebrations calm down in your house?

The craic was grand here, sw. I took all the money I should have given to the wife to feed the kids and drank the fúcking lot, then I went home and beat the living shít out of her, sent the kids to altar boy practice to get well and truly búggered, then went to bed and píssed myself. :thumbup:

All in all, the perfect Oirishman's day.

Ash
07-30-2018, 01:55 PM
gpwm ash.

I see Middlesex resorted to normal form again yesterday. Roll on proper cricket on Wednesday

Yes. All over a bit quickly, but a least a ball was bowled, unlike the other games. The big test series seems to start a bit late this year.

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 02:02 PM
So at the weekend I identify as Rebecca, and you object to that? Is it because you hate women or because you hate jews?

Do you, um, dress up?

Luis Anaconda
07-30-2018, 02:03 PM
Yes. All over a bit quickly, but a least a ball was bowled, unlike the other games. The big test series seems to start a bit late this year.

but now 5 back to back Tests. As long as we aren't **** it should be fun

Monty92
07-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Do you, um, dress up?

I think he dresses to the left. As he is wont to remind us, he hasn't dressed 'up' since about 1986.